Do the ships really often leave people behind?

jlk806

While on the Crown Princess we saw a couple running down the pier, we were in Scotland or Ireland. We were all cheering them on. They had taken up the gang planks and the couple made it to the dock and jumped on the floating dock. But they were turned back because they had thrown the lines and were not allowed on the ship and we weren't even moving. We saw them in the elevator and they were on their honeymoon and had to catch a train to the next port. And on our last port in France we were the very last group on board. Thankfully it was a Princess excursion and they did not leave us. Our bus was so late. Then at dinner, I noticed the scenery, we were turning around. A medical emergency. Took about 3 hours to turn around and get family and patient off. But we made it back to port at the we were scheduled to.

I'm sure he didn't pay for drinks for the rest of the cruise. Awesome story!

Found out later a bus full of seniors were robbed and to the surprise of the thieves one of those seniors was an x navy seal that killed one of the robbers as the other fled the scene. The ship was delayed for 2-3 hours as the investigation and release of the hero went on.

That port was skipped by Carnival for a few weeks.

I am never late for anything but we had to run for the ship once years ago - luckily it was a ship tour. The tour operater was goofing off and even though we told him we were running late he thought it was joke. It was only our 2nd cruise so we did not realize they would wait for us and were very upset by the whole thing.

I always love hearing the "don't book the private excursions because if you're late you'll be left behind" stories. Yes, I hear the names called for people that have missed the ship and I've watched many a couple run (or stagger:eek:) to the pier which, to my way of thinking is due more to them losing track of time than to a private tour operator running late.

Like others on the thread have said, in this day and age, a reputable tour operator would be sunk if it got out that he/she had gotten people back after the ship left. In every port from the Caribbean to the Med, our tour operators, who we've researched meticulously here on CC, have been very aware of the time of the ship's departure and made sure we were back with plenty of time to spare. Additionally, in most ports, they are connected with our operators and have a network that, if their vehicle were to break down, could assist.

I absolutely refuse to pay double the price for a ship's tour that will provide me half the experience with twice the number of people....just not happening.

I got off the Glory a couple weeks ago. We left 26 people on Grand Turk! I bet most of them were in the pool bar at Margaritaville!:p

No way. I happen to know the Margaritaville there (the best one in the world IMHO) makes multiple announcements and kicks people out to be sure.

Don't ask me how I know.... I just know OK?

Curious which independent tour in Grand Cayman made passenger miss the ship?

Don't know about that incident, but we almost missed the ship in Grand Cayman on our first cruise booked with Nativeway on their stingrays and rum point tour. They combined us with another ship that left two hours later than we did and were really unorganized when we kept trying to tell them our port times were different. If we'd hit any traffic coming back we'd have missed the ship. Didn't get the full tour and had to make the bus driver pull over and let us off so we could run across the street to the tender pier. Caught the second to last tender back. If one more person had said "island time" to me when I pointed out we needed to be back I might have smacked them. The owner promised shopping time of at least an hour once we were back downtown but that only applied to the other ship apparently. 30 minutes before last tender time we were still on a boat stopping to look at mansions and iguanas.

I still book independent tours sometimes but only 1/2 day ones. If it's an all day or even close to all day I stick with the ship now.

2 years ago the wife and I were on our honeymoon cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. At Grand Cayman we got off the boat and did a little shopping. We got back on the boat about 2 hours before departure time and I decided to take a nap. My wake up call was provided by my steward, security and my wife waking me up and telling me that I was not counted as being on board. Seems I did not swipe my card when I reboarded. Wife ignored the pages for me thinking I would not want to be woken up. When they paged her, she was told security needed to check our cabin. Turns out the steward and security was there to find my passport so it can be left behind for whenever I showed up at the pier. We now look back and laugh about what happened.

Moral of the story, do not ignore the pages.

On my cruise on the Legend in may, I will have a cheap watch set to ship time. I will also use my cell phone's countdown clock to alert me to when I have 2 hours left.

I tried to be left behind on Half Moon Cay, but they found me and dragged me back...

There was a family who missed the boat on Disney's Castaway Cay (years ago). They went to the other side of the island, where you are not supposed to go, and lost track of time. The ship waited a long time and blew the horn continually.

The Coast Guard was dispatched to 'rescue them' when they turned up - at their expense :eek:.

that cant make it back in time at port? It seems like such common sense to me, and if there are warnings and all why people would continue to miss the ship in port? I keep reading stories about it, and am just wondering does it happen often? SMH.

Apparently it does happen. The very first time was a long long time ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227357&d=1333034815

I assume they were delayed because it's very easy to "forget" the time changes.

Luckily I had a watch on that had ship time.

Every clock we found in Cozumel or when we asked gave us Cozumel time, which was 1 hour behind ship time.

That's what you do, when you're on a cruise!

You find out what Ship Time is, and set your watch to that. ;)

No way. I happen to know the Margaritaville there (the best one in the world IMHO) makes multiple announcements and kicks people out to be sure.

Don't ask me how I know.... I just know OK?

Yes ... very true ... multiple announcements!

Don't ask us how we know either ... but we absolutely do know!

I always love hearing the "don't book the private excursions because if you're late you'll be left behind" stories. Yes, I hear the names called for people that have missed the ship and I've watched many a couple run (or stagger:eek:) to the pier which, to my way of thinking is due more to them losing track of time than to a private tour operator running late.

Like others on the thread have said, in this day and age, a reputable tour operator would be sunk if it got out that he/she had gotten people back after the ship left. In every port from the Caribbean to the Med, our tour operators, who we've researched meticulously here on CC, have been very aware of the time of the ship's departure and made sure we were back with plenty of time to spare. Additionally, in most ports, they are connected with our operators and have a network that, if their vehicle were to break down, could assist.

I absolutely refuse to pay double the price for a ship's tour that will provide me half the experience with twice the number of people....just not happening.

I agree! If a reputable independant tour were even late one time they would be out of business. It would go viral lol!

I agree! If a reputable independant tour were even late one time they would be out of business. It would go viral lol!

Not all independant tours ARE reputable. Easy enough for one to get a bad name, go out of business, and reopen later under a new name. It doesn't happen often, but independant tours do miss ships. And for the record, we often book independently, just be aware of the risks.

Not all independant tours ARE reputable. Easy enough for one to get a bad name, go out of business, and reopen later under a new name. It doesn't happen often, but independant tours do miss ships. And for the record, we often book independently, just be aware of the risks.

That is why I mentioned "reputable" independant tours. Anyone can sell a tour.

There was a family who missed the boat on Disney's Castaway Cay (years ago). They went to the other side of the island, where you are not supposed to go, and lost track of time. The ship waited a long time and blew the horn continually.

The Coast Guard was dispatched to 'rescue them' when they turned up - at their expense :eek:.

OMG this is funny but not so funny. I would have totally FREAKED OUT! I flipped when we got to port at 11 instead of 10 like I hoped. I can't imagine missing the boat!!!!!

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas was docked on the other side of the pier at Sint Maarten

so we got to watch their runners.

They were already about 5 mins. past departure time

with anxious gangway officers still looking up the pier and on the phone to the bridge

when the moment came.

An RCI employee guy wearing a bright orange shirt came off the ship with a briefcase in his hand

and stayed behind while the gangway was pulled in, and that big steel door was sealed!

Adventure sailed off leaving him there -waiting for Somebody!

AOTS-76.jpg

This was the ship -on that very day!! - 5th. January, 2008

We always wondered what that was about. Medical emergency? Car crash? Cruisers in a suite?

Folks on our ship were laughing, but it left me with a funny feeling.

After experiencing that, it'll never happen to me -I can just about guarantee that! ;)

We recently took our first cruise, on the conquest over spring break. In Jamaica, we booked a private excursion (zip lines), there were about 16 people from our ship on the bus and everything was great. After the zip line excursion was over, they took us back to the shopping/beach/Margaritaville area and dropped us off. We had about 2 hours, and were told to be back to their tour van by 5 at the latest for the short drive back to the port. We were supposed to be back on the ship by 5:30 for a 6 pm sail away. Well, we were back on the bus a little early, so were most of the others, and then we waited for 1 couple....who were across the street at Margaritaville having a fine time while the rest of us were starting to panic! We kept telling the tour guide that we have to leave, she didn't seem too concerned. Finally, at about 5:15 she walked across the street, found them, and led them back to the bus. They were laughing and telling us all "don't worry - they're not going to leave without us". When we hit traffic, and started crawling along, it started to get a little tense on that bus - tense of course for everyone but the drinkers!?!? Anyway - when we pulled up to the port, we all jumped out and ran through the terminal (except you-know-who). And when we came out the terminal in front of the ship and were greeted by hundreds of people on balconies and decks cheering for us - i was mortified??!?! After getting on and making our way up to our cabin, we walked out on the balcony only to witness yet ANOTHER family of 4 sauntering out of the terminal - i'm thinking they were at least 10 minutes behind us - so at least i wasn't the LAST person back on but it felt like it at the time! As soon as that family cleared the gangplank, they raised it and away we went.

so, my very first cruise, and my very first excursion, and i almost missed the ship! The next 2 days in ports went smooth.

the moral of the story - i think - is that the private excursions are probably fine most of the time. Just be aware - if you're at the mercy of other passengers, or tour guides who don't seem to feel the same sense of urgency that you do in being on time - you can always get out and grab a cab, that's what i think we should have done in hindsight. but we made it!!!

We recently took our first cruise, on the conquest over spring break. In Jamaica, we booked a private excursion (zip lines), there were about 16 people from our ship on the bus and everything was great. After the zip line excursion was over, they took us back to the shopping/beach/Margaritaville area and dropped us off. We had about 2 hours, and were told to be back to their tour van by 5 at the latest for the short drive back to the port. We were supposed to be back on the ship by 5:30 for a 6 pm sail away. Well, we were back on the bus a little early, so were most of the others, and then we waited for 1 couple....who were across the street at Margaritaville having a fine time while the rest of us were starting to panic! We kept telling the tour guide that we have to leave, she didn't seem too concerned. Finally, at about 5:15 she walked across the street, found them, and led them back to the bus. They were laughing and telling us all "don't worry - they're not going to leave without us". When we hit traffic, and started crawling along, it started to get a little tense on that bus - tense of course for everyone but the drinkers!?!? Anyway - when we pulled up to the port, we all jumped out and ran through the terminal (except you-know-who). And when we came out the terminal in front of the ship and were greeted by hundreds of people on balconies and decks cheering for us - i was mortified??!?! After getting on and making our way up to our cabin, we walked out on the balcony only to witness yet ANOTHER family of 4 sauntering out of the terminal - i'm thinking they were at least 10 minutes behind us - so at least i wasn't the LAST person back on but it felt like it at the time! As soon as that family cleared the gangplank, they raised it and away we went.

so, my very first cruise, and my very first excursion, and i almost missed the ship! The next 2 days in ports went smooth.

the moral of the story - i think - is that the private excursions are probably fine most of the time. Just be aware - if you're at the mercy of other passengers, or tour guides who don't seem to feel the same sense of urgency that you do in being on time - you can always get out and grab a cab, that's what i think we should have done in hindsight. but we made it!!!

That's a good story and reminder. For some reason some people want to pretend that private tours are NEVER late, and that's just not true.

That's a good story and reminder. For some reason some people want to pretend that private tours are NEVER late, and that's just not true.

Anyone can sell tours. And not to be snarky but they did not miss the ship.

Archived