8 days til we're on the Gem! Some last minute help for first-time cruisers???

I have a few last minutes questions....if anyone reads any of these and has an answer, I'd be very thankful for your responses!

We're going to bring 2-3 cases of soda on board. Is it easier for us if we bring them as carry-ons? I know we don't want to spend hours in the naughty room straightening out questionable content in our luggage! Also, should we put anything like shampoo, suncreen, shower gel, mouthwash, etc. in our carry-ons? The less we have to take care of once on boar,the better!

Are there kids crew t-shirts available in the gift shop? I forgot to order the bon-voyage gift for my daughter and I wanted her to have the t-shirt.

We're getting two bottles of wine from our TA.....will we have to pay the corkage fees? And can we bring a corkscrew onboard?

We have two inside cabins and in one of them, I'd like the beds put together. Is there a way to request that ahead of time or do we have to wait and ask our room steward?

Is there a place onboard to buy fresh flowers for the room or are they only available for order ahead of time?

I'm sure I have more questions, but those are the only ones I can think of right now :o

Are there kids crew t-shirts available in the gift shop? I forgot to order the bon-voyage gift for my daughter and I wanted her to have the t-shirt.

There are kid's shirts in the shop...but the shop will not be open untiol after sailaway.

There are kid's shirts in the shop...but the shop will not be open untiol after sailaway.

That's perfect! I put together a Spongebob gift basket for her, since that was the one she REALLY wanted but isn't available for the Gem. So I can sneak that out of my carry-on soon after we enter the room. As long as she leaves the ship with a t-shirt, she'll be happy :D

Having the beds put together shouldnt be a problem. Just ask your travel agent to request that the beds be put together. Once I had forgot to make that request and all I had to do is ask the cabin steward and he fixed it.

Have a great cruise.:)

We're going to bring 2-3 cases of soda on board. Is it easier for us if we bring them as carry-ons? I know we don't want to spend hours in the naughty room straightening out questionable content in our luggage! Also, should we put anything like shampoo, suncreen, shower gel, mouthwash, etc. in our carry-ons? The less we have to take care of once on boar,the better!

We have two inside cabins and in one of them, I'd like the beds put together. Is there a way to request that ahead of time or do we have to wait and ask our room steward?

:o

You should carry on the soda so you don't waste time in the naughty room. You can pack the other things.

You can ask your cabin steward when you board but you can also ask your TA to call NCL and request it now.

Less than a week to go. You would be well served to spend some time reading through posts from the past month. You will find answers to questions you did not even know you had.

Corkage fee is NOT charged to bottle purchased through NCL - like you TA. You can take small corkscrews in your carry on on the plane. Large ones in checked bags are fine.

I have a few last minutes questions....if anyone reads any of these and has an answer, I'd be very thankful for your responses!

We're getting two bottles of wine from our TA.....will we have to pay the corkage fees? And can we bring a corkscrew onboard?

Is there a place onboard to buy fresh flowers for the room or are they only available for order ahead of time?

I'm sure I have more questions, but those are the only ones I can think of right now :o

1) Put your soda in carry on but make sure it is not the brand they sell on board. I believe right now they are selling all pepsi products so make sure it is some other brand.

2) They sell kids t-shirts on board but I do not think the ones they give in the kids pack with the bon voyage package. But they still may sell the package in the kids club but they sell out fast so make sure you check it out the first day of sailing.

3) If your TA ordered the wine through the Bon Voyage package, you will not have to pay the corkage fee. If he just gave you the bottles, and you are bringing them on board yourself, then yes you do.

4) Just let your room steward know and he will set up your beds the way you want the first and every night. I am sure you will see him when you first get to your cabin. He should introduce him/herself to you.

5) I do not think you can buy fresh flowers on board but I have never actually looked for them. They may be part of the bon voyage package only. Not 100% on that one.

Have a great trip! Make sure you bring a outlet strip. There are not many outlets in your cabin. Also make sure you put your cell phone on airplane mode or you will have a crazy cell phone bill when you get home. Especially if you have any kind of smart phone.

Bon Voyage :D

IWe're going to bring 2-3 cases of soda on board. Is it easier for us if we bring them as carry-ons? I know we don't want to spend hours in the naughty room straightening out questionable content in our luggage! Also, should we put anything like shampoo, suncreen, shower gel, mouthwash, etc. in our carry-ons? The less we have to take care of once on boar,the better!

We duct taped the cases of soda together and duct taped the luggage tag on them. We checked them with our luggage and they came right to our room.

I believe on the last cruise we took (5/11 Pearl) they were selling roses on board the ship, possibly other flowers as well. I can't guarantee they will be available as that was the first time I remember them being offered for sale.

1) Put your soda in carry on but make sure it is not the brand they sell on board. I believe right now they are selling all pepsi products so make sure it is some other brand.

Why different brand? We've brought or own Diet Cokes onboard even when NCL carried Coca-Cola products fleetwide, no problem what so ever. And depending on the port (can't check right now on iPad where Gem is leaving) the soda cases can be left as they are along with checked luggage which is a lot easier (for example at least in Miami it's ok, in Tampa it's not).

Free NCL merhandise can be had. Carefully peruse your daily schedule.

There are OSA (Organized Staff Activity) activities. Get an OSA card

from the cruise staffer & every time you play one point is marked off on

a card of 20. If you win the game you receive more points.

Accumulate as many cards as you can.

On last nite of cruise, (see daily schedule-mine was the Bliss Lounge

bowling area) there is a staffer giving out items per HOW MANY points

accumulated. Coffee mugs, tote bags, adult T-shirts (didn't see kids),

etc. THen you have to schlep it home.

Kids will love the varied activities as NCL is making a concerted effort to be family-friendly. And enjoy!

We're going on the Gem with you - 3rd cruise with NCL and bringing 2 and 8 year old. We never have brought soda or wine with us before on a cruise - can't see why you would want to? There is plenty to drink on the ship and the savings bringing your own versus buying it on the ship isn't a big deal. Drive slower from Mass to NYC and you'll save more on gas than trying to save on hauling your own drinks on board.

Just bring less - not more. We've always regreted not bringing enough clothes. Getting laundry done on the ship is expensive and inconvienent.

It's going to be a great week.

You can still get the bon voyage kids pack when you get on board. Go to the Kids Crew and they have them there. That's what we did last year on the Jewel. Our cabin steward put the Spongebob blanket and pillow case on DD's bed the first night... very sweet! She still sleeps with both.

I always put our toiletries in our carry-on. That way we can get some things settled before the luggage is delivered. And, bringing any kind of soda on board is fine... no corkage fee for the wine your TA ordered... and you can bring a cork-screw no problem.... Most of the cabins will have the beds pushed together. If not, just ask your cabin steward... no worries...

Most importantly.... have a GREAT time!

Also, should we put anything like shampoo, suncreen, shower gel, mouthwash, etc. in our carry-ons? The less we have to take care of once on boar, the better :o

If you are looking to pack less, shower gel and shampoo are provided via dispensers in the shower. There is NO CONDITIONER.

You should be fine packing your other items, unless you planned on bringing the huge "club size" mouthwash. That might get noticed. Have a wonderful vacation. I love the Gem! If it's up your alley, check out the spa and it's weekly pass. :D

The Nickelodeon craft events are usually quite good. In March our kids got to colour t-shirts that had Sponge Bob on them and a tote bag. The only problem is that the craft sessions are only 30 minutes long and not enough time for most kids to finish their colouring.

If you drink a lot of soda, I would for sure bring some and check it as luggage at the pier. If you are a wine drinker you may want to bring some in your carry on and pay the corkage at the pier. We brought 6 bottles and it was still a better deal than buying bottles on board. The wine from your TA will likely be super cheap.

My last tip is to get in line early for the tender tickets to Great Stirrup Cay. We were on the first tender, but knew people who were on the 6th and they didn't get to the island until noon.

Have a great trip! We've now done the Jewel and the Gem and had a wonderful vacation each time.

You will love the Gem...enjoy every minute!!!

Some ideas..

Pack light...read the dallies (so you don't miss things you may like) and if you are eating at the buffet..try eating outside..Garden Cafe..it is a great place..

And when you get home...let us know how your cruise was...and maybe update our thread..re: staffing...which I bump up every weekend...

Say I pre order a few bottles of wine. They will be waiting in my cabin for me. Are they marked in some way so I don't have to pay the corkage fee if I take them to a dining room or a lounge on the ship? Are these subject to the 15% gratuity?

Debating carrying on a few inexpensive bottles or going through BV. We live in our departure city so bringing them wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

OP: the easiest way to bring soda on board is to duct tape the boxes together and then tape on a luggage tag. (We also use a sharpie to write our cabin number on the boxes too.) Leave them with your checked luggage to be brought up to your cabin. Do you run the risk they will "disappear"? Yes, but imho, soda is too heavy to schlep around as carryon, particularly since your cabin is unlikely to be ready when you board.

To the person wondering why anyone would bring soda on board: I don't drink very much soda, but when I do, I need it to be decaffeinated. NCL is a "Pepsi" ship, and Pepsi puts caffeine in just about everything. My preferred beverage is seltzer, which isn't that easy to find on board (club soda is NOT seltzer), particularly in cans. I bring a case on so I will always have some in my cabin if I feel like having something cold to drink at night.

Archived