The Rules of the MDR

Ok ok people lets get with it ... it is 2012 not 1960 .. like it or not things are different. So mind your business and if you are that concerned get your own table ... I really dont understand why that is so hard? Society changes and progresses - people who grew up in the 20s are probably horrified by the manners of people who grew up in the 60s.

Go easy on the OP! She meant well. No matter what, you have to admit it is more pleasant to dine with people who behave with courtesy and have nice manners.

Whether I am in McDonalds or a 5-star restaurant, I do NOTICE when people allow their kids to misbehave, or mistreat the servers, or act demanding or boorish, and it does diminish the dining experience for everyone. It's unpleasant!

Her rules may have been slightly "nit-picky", but the idea was good: the MDR experience will be nicer for everyone if people acted more courteously.

I don't agree. I think you came across as someone with proper manners!

Happy Cruising!

Looking at some of the OP's other threads and comments, I think lrn2cruise has the correct assessment.

Im sorry, did I miss something...

Were you dining with the Queen?????

Get over yourself loosen up and MYOB.

I was looking at the picture of your dog in your avatar and I couldn't help but think about how they are so non judgmental of the people around them and that they seem to live much happier lives and be more content than most people. Maybe the OP should get a dog of her own. She might learn a thing or two.

I'm amused that people seem to find these rules odd or offensive. It's pretty much how I was raised to behave at the dinner table.

I am as well. Being brought up in a Scottish working class family most of these items were what was expected or you would suffer the consequences. I applaud the OP for putting this list together.

Most of your "rules" are what we in the "old" days referred to as common sense...but I do take exception to this one:

12. If you ordered the wine package kindly offer to see if anyone wants a glass or two if you know you can't finish the bottle. A lot of times they will reciprocate.

I do not expect to share my wine package with anyone not in my party..nor do I expect anyone else to share theirs...I wouldn't expect them to share their coke, ice tea or other drink...why would I expect them to share the wine?

I totally agree, well said!

I don't mean for each and every individual to adopt the rules but the way my Grandmother taught me is you should eat with grace and good manners as it can go a long way. I do mind my own business and am not upset if I see others break the rules. While I set my own example and impressions I feel good knowing that I will be accepted in most walks of life.

People have commented on my good manners growing up and I would hope that current and future generations will at least have the decency to be pleasant and cordial.

What I say is each to his own and I do realize you are on vacation however this doesn't mean you can act like a Bozo The Clown in front of others chewing and talking with their mouth open.

Happy Cruising and I hope I made myself clear. BTW It was fun reading your replies(: No hurt feelings.

See. Methinks not a joke.:eek:

What's 'silverware'? Is it referring to the stainless steel cutlery? It sure isn't made out of silver.

Oh, and BTW don't sit at our table if you expect some of our wine package, because there's never a danger of a bottle not being finished, sorry to disappoint.

This is why some of us are WJ people. and YES, I was raised with all the proper ways of doing things. I could not even leave the table without excusing myself. No elbows, correct table settings, correct forks, close your mouth when chewing. I could go on. People like the OP send many of us right to the WJ!!!!

This is why some of us are WJ people. and YES, I was raised with all the proper ways of doing things. I could not even leave the table without excusing myself. No elbows, correct table settings, correct forks, close your mouth when chewing. I could go on. People like the OP send many of us right to the WJ!!!!

Exactly where you will find me.

I have been reading about people's horror stories about dining in the Main Dining Room or those who enjoyed meeting others. If RCCL could have these rules then here we go ala Ms. Manners:

1. All parties shall arrive on time in a presentable fashion. If its formal night dress accordingly.

2. If you are late or cannot make your assigned dining time kindly call or preferably go down in person and speak to the Maitre D.

3. If your child becomes antsy or starts crying or throws a fit kindly excuse yourself and take your child and you outside of the dining room to a quiet place.

4. When people are introduced kindly respond with your name. Please don't stare at your dining mates even if English is not your first language try to communicate in other ways.

5. Don't assume everyone speaks your language. Try to learn some phrases in other languages depending on where the cruise departs from. You may not be perfect but you will get a fun language lesson.

6. Look at the menu and be prepared with your order when the waiter or waitress comes. If you want more of one item say so. Please don't over order.

7. If you want a table for two please email the Dining Department before your cruise or go to the Maitre D.

8. If for some reason you are not comfortable with your table assignment please let the Maitre D know in a respectful manner. Don't bash them for not being able to get your table request the first time around.

9. If you must leave early for one reason or another let your waiter or waitress know to see if he or she can speed up the dining time.

10. If you are not willing to spend the time dining or don't want to participate in the formal dining nights please go to the Windjammer or other dining venues.

11.If an item does not taste good don't complain. Kindly say to the waiter or waitress that this item was not what you expected it to be and see if you can get a replacement. Don't nit pick or pick around your food looking for ways to make it taste better.

12. If you ordered the wine package kindly offer to see if anyone wants a glass or two if you know you can't finish the bottle. A lot of times they will reciprocate.

13. Don't ask personal questions of your table mates. General conversation topics are good. Remind kids to act their best and if they start to get wild remove them promptly.

14. When you are finished place your silverware with the handle facing out and put them together to signal you are done.

15. Always have your napkin in your lap and please no elbows on the table.

16. When you are done wait until others are generally done eating or ask in a pleasant way if you can excuse yourself so as not to keep the others eating alone especially if there is a single cruiser.

17. Always greet the dining room staff and smile at the end of the evening thank them. Compliment them on what items you liked and tell them about improvements they can make.

18. If you know you want more of a drink as the waiter or waitress to bring either a pitcher or two iced teas or a carafe of coffee so as not to make them run back and forth all the time.

19. Wait until others are served or if you see at least two to three people starting to eat you can begin or you could say Do you mind if I can start with my soup? I'm sure your dining mates will understand and appreciate you asking them if you can start so as not to make them watch you eat.

20, Please do not snap your fingers to get the attention of the dining room staff. Kindly say excuse me Sir or excuse me Madam could you please bring me at your next earliest opportunity? And don't forget to sincerely thank them.

21. Enjoy and be happy and don't try to nit pick every little thing that goes wrong.

Thanks for the rules! This is why you will never find us in the MDR (well, almost never).........yep, we too, are WJ people or dine......and I mean dine, in our cabin.:D;)

Rick

Thanks for the rules! This is why you will never find us in the MDR (well, almost never).........yep, we too, are WJ people or dine......and I mean dine, in our cabin.:D;)

Rick

I never knew that about you before. We have quite the crew up there.:)

It's amazing how many ways some people can find to be offended. While some of the rules might be over the top, how can anyone be offended by anything the OP wrote. It was suggested rules and not directed at anyone.:rolleyes:

There are people who cruise this forum looking for posts to criticize. I could easily become that person, its why i pretty much stay out of the booze smuggling threads. My weakness is chair hog threads.

OK, so for grins and giggles (edited version for CC), I'm sitting at the counter at home and have just finished eating a microwave cooked baked potato.

I tried that thing with the silverware (aka cutlery). You know, placing them parallel on the plate to signal I was done.

Sure enough, as soon as I got them pointed to the previously instructed angle, one of the cats jumped up on the counter and helped themselves to the left over butter.

Sure glad I taught them manners. :D

ok, so for grins and giggles (edited version for cc), i'm sitting at the counter at home and have just finished eating a microwave cooked baked potato.

I tried that thing with the silverware (aka cutlery). You know, placing them parallel on the plate to signal i was done.

Sure enough, as soon as i got them pointed to the previously instructed angle, one of the cats jumped up on the counter and helped themselves to the left over butter.

Sure glad i taught them manners. :d

<laughing>:D:D

I agree. IMO the MDR is a sit down buffet not fine dining. We enjoyed the food but five star restaurant they are not. I don't know any fine dining restaurant where the waiters dance around the room.

Expecting high standards in the MDR is unrealistic. The majority of people sitting around you had to pick between a cruise, or a week at Disney World, and look at each of them the same way.

Well dang! I grew up in L.A. too......but my LA stood for Lower Alabama....and even WE knew we should keep our elbows off the table (cuz we weren't raised in no barn!!)

My LA is lower Arkansas!;) As we say in this neck of the woods... "You tend to your backyard & I'll tend to mine!" I think that is well fitting for this case.:rolleyes:

OK, so for grins and giggles (edited version for CC), I'm sitting at the counter at home and have just finished eating a microwave cooked baked potato.

I tried that thing with the silverware (aka cutlery). You know, placing them parallel on the plate to signal I was done.

Sure enough, as soon as I got them pointed to the previously instructed angle, one of the cats jumped up on the counter and helped themselves to the left over butter.

Sure glad I taught them manners. :D

Hope the cat didn't knock the TV remote on the floor. Always have that next to my "Silverware" :p

I never knew that about you before. We have quite the crew up there.:)

Still looking for our first cruise together!! The WJ has a better variety, we eat as little as we want, I can always get a steak done to my satisfaction, and I don't have to put up with someone trying to steal my leftover piece of shrimp, or the 21 rules of eating in the MDR!!:D

Rick

Archived