The Rules of the MDR

I was raised this way also. Common courtesy is all that I am looking for when I dine with others. And, really, the OP simply broke down how to have common courtesy. If you are of the mind that you should "mind your own business" then you belong at a table for 2 OR seated with those you cruise with and not with strangers.

Just my 2 cents! Happy Cruising to All!

So because its not my business to tell someone they are using the wrong fork or that they can't have wine unless they share it I can't sit with strangers? :rolleyes:

Or maybe its better to say the only person I can control is myself and as long as they are being polite and aren't dancing on the tables naked it isn't anyone's job to correct them.

The whole "point your silverware in a certain direction" thing was perhaps my favorite. Maybe it's just me, but the MDR is not a fine dining restaurant. It may pretend to be such, but if you want a true, high-class dining experience where little things like that should be noted and followed, either (a) go with a fancier cruise line, or (b) stay on land and choose your restaurants based on such desires.

I agree. IMO the MDR is a sit down buffet not fine dining. We enjoyed the food but five star restaurant they are not. I don't know any fine dining restaurant where the waiters dance around the room.

I agree. IMO the MDR is a sit down buffet not fine dining. We enjoyed the food but five star restaurant they are not. I don't know any fine dining restaurant where the waiters dance around the room.

I saw some place in Moscow like that, but I'm pretty sure they had just had too much vodka pre-shift.

So because its not my business to tell someone they are using the wrong fork or that they can't have wine unless they share it I can't sit with strangers? :rolleyes:

Or maybe its better to say the only person I can control is myself and as long as they are being polite and aren't dancing on the tables naked it isn't anyone's job to correct them.

I mean, it really depends on what they look like...in many cases, it would make dinner a lot more enjoyable.

I actually did see a woman on formal night ,though it wasn't in the dining room, wearing a pin made from some exotic African beetle. It was one of those big black ones with giant pincer jaws.

Plus there is the rule, Dinner is officially concluded when the eldest guest blows their nose at the table. Been there, seen that.

Eww! And you know they use that grotty old hankerchief that's been in his pocket since Truman was president. :eek: It would be over for me!

Ha! We actually agree on something for a change!

Ryano- I've been making this point for a while now, where ever is anyone getting the idea that even in the MDR, that this cruise line provides "fine dining"? It's like going to EPCOT and saying you've traveled the world. An interesting facsimile, but let's not kid oursleves. ;)

I'm amused that people seem to find these rules odd or offensive. It's pretty much how I was raised to behave at the dinner table.

I pretty much have to agree..this is the way I was brought up too and if you have decent manners all the "rules" go without saying..they just come naturally. I do see that there are people here who are taking offense. I am in my 60s maybe that is the difference as I have noticed, over the years that people are the result of their upbringing and as the generations go on, people are more and more lax with manners. So maybe I am just showing my age! :confused:

The whole "point your silverware in a certain direction" thing was perhaps my favorite. Maybe it's just me, but the MDR is not a fine dining restaurant. It may pretend to be such, but if you want a true, high-class dining experience where little things like that should be noted and followed, either (a) go with a fancier cruise line, or (b) stay on land and choose your restaurants based on such desires.

The silverware thing is simply an indication that you are done with your meal and so you don't have to have that odd dance where the waiter comes up and goes "Oh, are you done?" It's not necessarily a fancy restaurant thing, just a matter of if the waitstaff realize it.

I mean, it really depends on what they look like...in many cases, it would make dinner a lot more enjoyable.

:eek: :D

It would be entertaining. On our last cruise someone threw up at the table (not our table, one nearby), all the way out of the dining room and the hallway to the elevator. I assumed because they had probably drank to much. While gross I did laugh a little as who would have ever expected that to happen. :D

I pretty much have to agree..this is the way I was brought up too and if you have decent manners all the "rules" go without saying..they just come naturally. I do see that there are people here who are taking offense. I am in my 60s maybe that is the difference as I have noticed, over the years that people are the result of their upbringing and as the generations go on, people are more and more lax with manners. So maybe I am just showing my age! :confused:

I see it in a different light (and maybe it's because I am on the younger side - 28). I have business dinners on a usual basis with clients and such all over the world. I certainly know how to behave myself appropriately, and behave myself in a manner conducive of closing a big deal.

That's business...this is vacation. On vacation, I believe in behaving myself properly, but I will in no circumstance act as though I am at a business dinner - sit up straight, tie your tie, point your cutlery at a 38 degree angle, fold your napkin with three right angled points when getting up. I'm not going to be a slob, but I'm not going to follow 20 steps of etiquette just to eat my dinner on vacation.

Always, ask, "Are you finished with that?" before reaching onto a stranger's plate.

Before slapping the beetle off of the lady next to you, make sure its not jewelry.

And finally, cleavage is ornamental, its made to be stared at.

And digging for that shrimp that fell down her cleavage should be left to her significant other - if she hasn't one, then by all means assist the lady :eek: don't leave her sitting there with shrimp flapping on her chest.

Always, ask, "Are you finished with that?" before reaching onto a stranger's plate.

Before slapping the beetle off of the lady next to you, make sure its not jewelry.

:cool:Finally rules that make sense. LOL Actually the OP just stated basic dinner rules in effect in the 50's and early 60's when people actually had manners:cool:

And there it is. We all must have been raised like wild animals to not agree with the "rules" posted.

I was raised very well thank you. I am in my 30's and my parents have never heard me swear. My parents hate swearing and I respect them enough to not do it. When I was little I knew that if I misbehaved in public I was going to get it when I got home. I am a very considerate person and my nieces and nephews were raised the same and are very well behaved children. HOWEVER it is not my business to dictate to random strangers on how to behave. Nor to make up rules to suit me.

I was at the doctors office yesterday. I was sitting in the waiting area and someone was walking out and saw someone else was walking in. The man leaving held the door open for a woman. She walked in and said nothing. No thank you to the man for holding the door for her. She was too busy talking on her cell phone. She had to be at least in her 50's. Bad manners aren't just in the younger generation. Older people can be just as rude.

It's amazing how many ways some people can find to be offended. While some of the rules might be over the top, how can anyone be offended by anything the OP wrote. It was suggested rules and not directed at anyone.:rolleyes:

I hope everyone can live up to your set of rules so that YOU have a nice experience in the dining room. Unfortunately, I feel that you are going to be disappointed.

I have one rule for the dining room: Mind your own business and don't worry about what other people are doing.

Well said. I can live by that rule.

No, it's not a generation thing, as I am in your age bracket. Most of these rules are common sense, and were reinforced in the home at meal time. But, not all of them. I do, however, take offense to someone listing them for me. He or she is not my mother, and is not in a position to tell me how to behave at dinner, unless of course, she/he were the host of the event.

I don't share my wine with others, I do put my elbows on the table, and I don't always have my napkin on my lap, nor do I arrange my used silverware in any particular order. I do however, chat with my table mates, do not notice their manners (or lack of them), eat what I order, and I am gracious to the staff.

By the way, Rule #18 may hard for the staff to comply with. I have been told my servers on several cruises that they are not allowed to put a water pitcher, tea pitcher, or coffee carafe on the table.

And there it is. We all must have been raised like wild animals to not agree with the "rules" posted.

Bad manners aren't just in the younger generation. Older people can be just as rude.

I don't think that young people were "raised like wild animals". My children are 28 and 33 and they have manners. That being said, those of us 60+ have a different experience growing up. It seems to me that things were more, oh, I don't know the word to use here so as not to offend anyone, I guess I will say that it was different. For instance, and this has nothing to do with cruising, when I was young a lady would not think of going shopping downtown without wearing gloves. And when I was in school we were not allowed to wear slacks/pants/trousers, whatever you want to call them. We had to wear a skirt or a dress; we had no choice. So, I don't think it's a matter of more or less manners; it's simply a difference of what we were accustomed to growing up.

I don't think that young people were "raised like wild animals". My children are 28 and 33 and they have manners. That being said, those of us 60+ have a different experience growing up. It seems to me that things were more, oh, I don't know the word to use here so as not to offend anyone, I guess I will say that it was different. For instance, and this has nothing to do with cruising, when I was young a lady would not think of going shopping downtown without wearing gloves. And when I was in school we were not allowed to wear slacks/pants/trousers, whatever you want to call them. We had to wear a skirt or a dress; we had no choice. So, I don't think it's a matter of more or less manners; it's simply a difference of what we were accustomed to growing up.

I am teetering on the edge of going way off topic here, but I'll throw it out there nonetheless - just because it was done that way doesn't mean it was the right way, or the wrong way. Times change, traditions change, etiquette changes. And this is just a general statement, not directed at you.

Things were done differently before - older people see them as the good old days, while younger people view them as outdated and ridiculous. To me, as a 28 year old, if I saw a younger woman wearing gloves at the grocery store, I would think she was a bit odd.

I was raised this way also. Common courtesy is all that I am looking for when I dine with others. And, really, the OP simply broke down how to have common courtesy. If you are of the mind that you should "mind your own business" then you belong at a table for 2 OR seated with those you cruise with and not with strangers.

Just my 2 cents! Happy Cruising to All!

By which direction you point your fork in?:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't mean for each and every individual to adopt the rules but the way my Grandmother taught me is you should eat with grace and good manners as it can go a long way. I do mind my own business and am not upset if I see others break the rules. While I set my own example and impressions I feel good knowing that I will be accepted in most walks of life.

People have commented on my good manners growing up and I would hope that current and future generations will at least have the decency to be pleasant and cordial.

What I say is each to his own and I do realize you are on vacation however this doesn't mean you can act like a Bozo The Clown in front of others chewing and talking with their mouth open.

Happy Cruising and I hope I made myself clear. BTW It was fun reading your replies(: No hurt feelings.

I actually did see a woman on formal night ,though it wasn't in the dining room, wearing a pin made from some exotic African beetle. It was one of those big black ones with giant pincer jaws.

Plus there is the rule, Dinner is officially concluded when the eldest guest blows their nose at the table. Been there, seen that.

Using the table cloth.

Love this! Thanks!

I may have to get drunk on the cheapest wine on the MD wine list and sit at his/her table with shorts and a tank top for dinner....:-)

I think you misunderstood what I said; or you are trying to make a point; or maybe I didn't say what I meant. I would NEVER tell anyone that they were using the wrong fork and I really don't think that was the intent of the OP. I read the initial post simply as a way to point out that ALL people, whether on a cruise or at home, should have proper manners. I don't believe for a minute that the OP cares what fork anyone uses. And I don't believe that you believe that.

Anyway ... Happy Cruising!

Archived