The Rules of the MDR

There are rules which are important to follow for safety and security. There are rules that are important to follow because their absence may impact on others ( eg talking too loudly, eating with your mouth open, swearing etc etc) but while I know there is a 'rule' about putting elbows on the table, for the life of me I cannot work out why such a rule was ever put in place and which for me makes it a rule that is quite ok to forget about. Sometimes rules are just made to be broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being the curious person that I am, I looked up the origins of "no elbows on the table". It originated back in medieval times when by not leaning on our elbows, we show that we're strong enough to hold our bodies erect and we're healthy enough to have proper carriage. In our modern day it means we take up less room if we keep our elbows off the table.

no- Apparently as long as you offer the bottle to table mates.

M

LOL! You almost made me spit my coffee! I had a visual of people sitting at the table and passing the bottle around and everybody drinking from it! LOL! That made my morning!

LOL! You almost made me spit my coffee! I had a visual of people sitting at the table and passing the bottle around and everybody drinking from it! LOL! That made my morning!

I don't even think we did that in college. Well, not with wine...

Being the curious person that I am, I looked up the origins of "no elbows on the table". It originated back in medieval times when by not leaning on our elbows, we show that we're strong enough to hold our bodies erect and we're healthy enough to have proper carriage. In our modern day it means we take up less room if we keep our elbows off the table.

So when 4 people show up for dinner at a 10 top table, since the other 6 people are in the Windjammer due to the 21 rules of the MDR, does it really matter how much room each person is taking up? Does the elbow rule only apply at crowded tables?

So when 4 people show up for dinner at a 10 top table, since the other 6 people are in the Windjammer due to the 21 rules of the MDR, does it really matter how much room each person is taking up? Does the elbow rule only apply at crowded tables?

It only applies if the 6 people in the WJ are at a 6 top table!:D

The Windjammer.............The ONNNLLLYY place to dine!!:D;)

Rick

We are going to have to get a ruling on the appropriateness of the 5 second rule for food dropped on the floor.

Do you pick the food up with a napkin? Stab it with a fork? Use your fingers?

Then do you blow off and dirt, or rinse it off in a table mates water glass? :D

And do you have to share it with the wine?:confused:

Thanks for the history lesson it helps put things in perspective. Sounds like avoiding putting ones elbows on the table was less of an act of manners or etiquette and more for showing a person's strength and perhaps even intimidation or dominance.

You were spoiled by school cafeterias!:D

It only applies if the 6 people in the WJ are at a 6 top table!:D

The Windjammer.............The ONNNLLLYY place to dine!!:D;)

Rick

For those of us who just can't leave the glory of our high school days behind.:p

Form a conga line under the box spout. Open mouth, enjoy! Save the cover charge of an island bar.

M

Pefect solution to all the worlds probelms - heck the waiters are dancing why can't we??

rulez.gif

Obey or walk the plank...

Overheard in Portofino "Hey! This is one of them places that's got one of those guys that know what wine goes with food!"

The food was very good & the wine complimented it nicely, and we sometimes recall that statement-and laugh! He was possibly not the most worldly diner, but it didn't ruin my meal at all! Sometimes you just have to laugh!

Rule #1…. Something about dressing appropriately on formal nights.

I will wear slacks, a shirt with a tie and a sport coat, but serious formal clothing is simply too much to ask of people who actually don’t give a darn about formal nights.

Packing and unpacking ordinary clothing is enough of a hassle in a cabin with limited storage space.

Eating dinner in an uncomfortable formal outfit can’t actually be fun for anyone and it’s rude to pressure people to eat in other places if they are not dressed “properly”.

I’ve always thought that the cruise line encourages formal nights so the photographers can pose more people and make more money, and it also provides an “event” for some that costs the cruise line nothing.

Renting the formalwear is another reason the cruise line might want to have formal nights.

Rule #1…. Something about dressing appropriately on formal nights.

I will wear slacks, a shirt with a tie and a sport coat, but serious formal clothing is simply too much to ask of people who actually don’t give a darn about formal nights.

Packing and unpacking ordinary clothing is enough of a hassle in a cabin with limited storage space.

Eating dinner in an uncomfortable formal outfit can’t actually be fun for anyone and it’s rude to pressure people to eat in other places if they are not dressed “properly”.

I’ve always thought that the cruise line encourages formal nights so the photographers can pose more people and make more money, and it also provides an “event” for some that costs the cruise line nothing.

Renting the formalwear is another reason the cruise line might want to have formal nights.

I will say that I have very little issue with formal night rules. I'm never the biggest fan of people telling me what to wear, but you know going in what is expected. I dress up every day for work, and often on weekends for work when I am on the road, so vacation is the last place I am going to dress up. I simply know to avoid the MDR on that night. It's not too hard.

I don't think Boone's Farm Strawberry wine is part of the platinum package.:D

Man I couldn't agree more. I've noticed a bunch of posts lately about how you should and should not behave as to not offend or bother anyone else on the whole ship. What is up with that? I promise I won't ruin your whole vacation with my walkie talkie conversations, dislike of children even when they are well behaved, my swearing mother, my own frequent swearing, my not formal enough formal wear, etc. but in return I must ask that you get off my damn back. It's my vacation too. I am not rude or classless. I know how to behave in social situations as I am sure do most other people on the ship but we're on vacation for cripes sake. Cut us some slack. We're trying to unwind, let loose and have some darn fun. Whew. Sorry.

Couldn't agree more! The only behavior I can control is my own. If I don't like what you are saying or doing I'll either turn up the volume on my head set or turn my lounge chair in the other direction. Elbows, silverware, eye contact....please spare me;)

hmmm...will there be referees or umpires to enforce the rules?...any instant replay allowed?...do I get to throw a flag?...maybe we ought to start a new trend.........everytime YOU think there's a violation, you hold a small flag up. Pretty soon other passengers will wonder...what's with the flag?....those "in the know" will say..."there's been an etiquette violation".....just a thought. :)

My LA is lower Arkansas!;) As we say in this neck of the woods... "You tend to your backyard & I'll tend to mine!" I think that is well fitting for this case.:rolleyes:

The burning question is, did your backyard have ladies in it with shrimp in their clevage?!?!?! If so, I'd guess others may have wanted to tend your backyard!!! :eek: ;)

hmmm...will there be referees or umpires to enforce the rules?...any instant replay allowed?...do I get to throw a flag?...maybe we ought to start a new trend.........everytime YOU think there's a violation, you hold a small flag up. Pretty soon other passengers will wonder...what's with the flag?....those "in the know" will say..."there's been an etiquette violation".....just a thought. :)

Yes, but if your challenge is over-ruled you have to forfeit one Savory bite.

I'm amused that people seem to find these rules odd or offensive. It's pretty much how I was raised to behave at the dinner table.

I agree. Outside of the "wine sharing" I don't understand what the issue is. They are pretty much "rules" we all live by anyway.

Archived