Mosquitoes

rcymmolly

So I hear from friends that mosquitoes in Alaska are big enough and there are enough of them to cart away small children. Is that true?

We will be there in mid-late July.

What do you recommend to stay bite free?

So I hear from friends that mosquitoes in Alaska are big enough and there are enough of them to cart away small children. Is that true?

I've always taken a Bounce (or other brand) dryer sheet. I've not been to Alaska yet, but Bounce worked well whenever I've been to the outback in Mexico and Costa Rica. I simply tie a sheet to my belt, or simply tuck a corner under the waist band of my cargo shorts. For some reason, the skeeters don't like the smell of the dryer sheets.

100% deet and a hat with a mosquito net attached may work. Do hold onto your kids, however.

DON

I've always taken a Bounce (or other brand) dryer sheet. I've not been to Alaska yet, but Bounce worked well whenever I've been to the outback in Mexico and Costa Rica. I simply tie a sheet to my belt, or simply tuck a corner under the waist band of my cargo shorts. For some reason, the skeeters don't like the smell of the dryer sheets.

I am afraid that up here, the only thing Bounce will do is make you smell a little fresher as you run like a wild man away from the hordes of mosquitos who will be laughing at you. ;)

I am afraid that up here, the only thing Bounce will do is make you smell a little fresher as you run like a wild man away from the hordes of mosquitos who will be laughing at you. ;)

:D

Was watching a Rico on Alaska and my dh asked what were all the things flying around the presenter. He was horrified when I told him mosquitoes! Be prepared with a deet product.

I was just thinking back to my time in the army. After a week in the field the mosquitos didn't bother us much any more. It was only after getting a shower and going back out that we got eaten alive.

Just stop bathing during your time in Alaska, the mosquitos should stop bothering you. :D

Seriously though, Get some Deet, it usually works the best. Though the best stuff is found in bush stores and has a higher concentration of Deet. Be carefull as some people may have a reaction to it, make sure you test it on a small section of skin first.

And, No, I am not really advocating not bathing. We had a person on our last cruise that bathed infrequently up the hall, I would not wish that on any one.

Has anyone had any luck with Ex Officio BugsAway shirts? I'm also concerned about mosquitoes for our upcoming trip in August and found some reviews that said these shirts work pretty well.

they have sex with chickens while standing flatfoot.

in southeast, really not a problem, it's much worse in the UP of Michigan. The interior might be a different story.

I don't use/like deet, I have an aversion to chemicals that will melt my raingear and plastic hardhat. My current is Herbal Armor, awarded Best Gear by Nat'l Geo for non-deet repellants. Last purchase was made through REI.

Odd that no one ever talks of noseeums or whitesocks, so I won't either.

Let's see. Mosquitos in early May? May can be the worst time for mosquitos as they seem to remain alive over the winter. However, they tend to be very slow and are easy to swat.

In actuality, Mosquitos in the open are not much of a problem. In Anchorage, for example you don't see them too much-except in the evening.

They seem to like cooler weather and don't like the sun.

You will run into hoards of them in the woods. So, anyplace here there are trees, you'll find mosquitos,

As for big biting flies, I have not run into them. That does not mean they aren't around somewhere, though.

When I do go camping I use deep woods off, which contains feet and that seems to work well.

Also, I always wear a hat. That keeps them literally out of your hair.

When I used to work in the bush, I would use 100% feet-I would almost bathe in it. I remember one day taking off my hat and finding it covered with mosquitos.

I also remember a guy I worked with who was almost hospitalized from an excess of mosquito bites.

And I am sure you've all heard the stories of the caribou that are driven insane by the hoards of mosquitos......

So, be alert.

When I used to work in the bush, I would use 100% feet-.

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahhahahah

100% feet

hahahahhahhahhahhahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah

whitesocks are biting flies, little flies, big bites.

noseeums will drive you out of your mind.

Has anyone had any luck with Ex Officio BugsAway shirts? I'm also concerned about mosquitoes for our upcoming trip in August and found some reviews that said these shirts work pretty well.

We have purchased them for this trip as I am a mosquito magnet --found great deals at Sierra Trading last Fall. We needed some cooler weather hiking clothes

so just got the bug-away ones. Will find out how they work in late May!

Never thought of mossys when booked our cruise for middle of May. We are doing Vancouver to Icy Strait and then following week going inland on Rocky Mountaineer to Banff. :eek: :confused:

Do I need to concern myself and get sprays? Can anybody recommend something suitable?

We have purchased them for this trip as I am a mosquito magnet --found great deals at Sierra Trading last Fall. We needed some cooler weather hiking clothes

If you remember, could you let me know if they actually work? The reviews looks good but I'm skeptical since I know how tasty any of those flying things find me. I'll check out Sierra Trading too - thanks!

Well, I just checked Sierra Trading's website and there's a great deal on a women's bug-away shirt until April 30 so I decided to take a chance and buy one......so thanks again for the tip about Sierra Trading. I thought I'd have to spend twice the amount for one of these shirts.

What months Are Mosquitos and other biting flys the worst? Never noticed them on cruises in May and August but will be doing a cruise tour in sept going deep into Denali. Will the biting flies still be bad then? I've been to Maine in May and the black flies were awful.

Hi

Really really would like to know what we face in middle of May. Do we need to take precautions :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The middle of May can be bad-it just depends on how dry it has been. But, at that time I would plan on running into mosquitos on land-most often in the evening. On the ship you will not have a problem. In the open air you will probably have little problem too.

But, if I were you, I would be ready.

Archived