As a first-timer, which mistakes did you make?

Dayenu

Not realizing that the welcome abord drink could be purchased in a regular glass. I didn't realize the one I so casually took from the tray cost more for the 'plastic' souvenier glass that I didn't even want and actually left behind.

Our first cruise I chose one that did 5 islands in 7 days because I thought that was the way to get the most for our money. And of course we felt obligated to get off in every port. It was exhausting!

1. Overpacking.

2. Taking ship's tours in every port and winding up with a whopper of an onboard bill at end of cruise.

3. Not knowing I was supposed to tip the person who brought room service breakfast each morning. I later found out that those employees aren't included in the combined gratuities paid per day.

I made the mistake of worrying I might make a big mistake. I didn't.

I researched and read a lot on here. I asked questions for anything not covered and got good tips and replies.

The outcme was I knew what to do at embarkation, and disembarkations and things like reading the Journals, and how the dining rooms worked.

The result was that my other half was amazed and I was in the 'good books'. Cruise Critic should have got most of the accolade , not me!

We didn't know about CC, so consequently we took ship's excursions and paid much more than we needed to. For some reason we ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR from the second day and I don't remember how we learned about that. Of course we overpacked.

I didn't know about CC either although I had done a search for cruising web sites. I found another web site where cruisers posted--won't say its name--but didn't have much information. After that first traditional cruise I found CC and have been posting and browsing ever since.

I always say traditional ship, because my first two cruises were on the now defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, the sailing ships that held 70-130 passengers depending on the ship.

Not knowing (on our 1st cruise) that the "Welcome aboard" drinks were NOT free! I know...it was only $3.50 or so (long time ago!) buy it still irks me! And, it wasn't even a GOOD drink!

And if you order a cocktail they put it in a souvenir glass and charge you for that too!!

Not listening to the shore excursion talk closely enough. We took the tender into Belize so we could shop for an hour before our excursion left. Not only were all of the shops still closed (it was too early!), but our excursion departed from a lounge on the ship! Missed that one.:( But Carnival was actually very nice about it and, even though it was my misunderstanding, I got a refund (and I wasn't mean, either).

Pay attention!

Another thing has come to me. I was on the old Norwegian Majesty with Free Style dining so it didn't matter, but we knew nothing about dining protocol so took no dressy clothes at all. Had we been on a cruise line with traditional dining we would have not had clothes for formal nights.

On my first cruise ever I tried to pay cash in a gift shop, and was surprised they only want my key card :o

Of course it was way before Cruise Critic :)

I booked airfare the day of the cruise thru the cruise line. We made it all on time, but spend way more $$ than we would have if I had booked my own.

Worried way too much about how much I was spending. As a result, I was constantly second- and third-guessing myself about whether to buy this souvenir, order that drink, etc. Result - I spent about $1,500 for cruise plus airfare, and then spoiled my fun by obsessing about whether to buy a $10 drink or a $20 t-shirt.

Now, I trust my own overall good sense and relax about the money. It's just silly to pay for the trip, and then spoil it by pinching every penny. Of course, I also recognize that the total cost of my trip is going to be more than the direct costs. And, I don't go nuts, I just allow myself to enjoy a few impulse purchases and special treats.

1. Not starting cruising early in life

2. Overpacking..too many outfits; too many shoes

3. Not breaking in new shoes prior to the cruise.

4. Not realizing you could have breakfast and lunch in the MDR for the first few cruises.

5. Forgetting to take sunscreen and OTC meds along, including cold meds.

From years of land based travel, we had learned to avoid room service, except for special occasions. Took us two cruises to get used to free room service and take full advantage of a light breakfast and afternoon tea with cookies on our balcony.

Colleen

More thoughts. Not a mistake, but a good lesson learned was to take a lot of $1 bills to use for tipping the people who bring room service meals. I take enough for the cruise and leave them in the safe so I don't spend them somewhere else.

My biggest mistake was reading packing lists from others and believing I needed the same "stuff" that was suggested. Not only did I waste a whole bunch of cash but was packed to the extreme. Most of it went unused and either trashed or to Goodwill within a couple years.

I know it's exciting to anticipate and when you have yet to go on a cruise it can be confusing as to what to bring. Just remember its not a camping trip, you need little else beyond your clothes, toiletries and hair things, a small first aid kit and a camera. The rest is "stuff". Do yourself a favor and instead of buying that over the door shoe holder, back off a moment and really think whether you can do without, save the money for more important things. Like a cocktail by the pool or towards an excursion.

Archived