Spirit 15 Days~Hawaii: A Review

halos

I'd do it again without one second's hesitation....but we love sea days.

Flying just to CA was tough...if I had to fly to Hawaii it would just be unbearable for me.

I fly to China frequently and kind of used to 15 hour plane rides, or at least as used to it as I could be.

Thinking this is something that we would do once and therefore should spend more time there but than again a ship that takes you from island to island does have an appeal.

Nawiliwili, Kuai Our last port

It seems that Carnival saved us the best port for last Kuai is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen and we were smart enough to choose this island for our helicopter tour. We booked with Safari Helicopter Tours and I cannot recommend this group enough. Our pilot was just awesome…he was so informative and just a terrific tour guide. His name was Pete. You are given headphones to block the noise and a microphone when you want to ask questions. There is awesome, mood music piped into your headphones which adds greatly to the overall experience (you fly off with the soundtrack from Indiana Jones and if that won’t make you feel absolutely giddy, nothing can). The views???? Well, there just are no words. All I could think through the experience was that birds are just phenomenally lucky.

I am posting quite a few pictures and they do the things we saw no justice. Keep in mind that these photos were taken through the large window on the helicopter…which by the way, my door seemed to blow open a bit during flight. My sister almost had heart failure!!! It just added to the fun J

Prior to getting on the helicopter, as it pulled in with it’s first group of passengers that flew before us, we were happy and pleasantly surprised to see David (Tiggerman101) his Mom and Wade as well as a new friend of mine from Scotland (Ann) who I met on the back of the ship when the jumper went overboard. (Funny how you meet and make friends sometimes isn’t it????)

…some parts of this cruise were very Twilight Zone-ish to say the least…

Anyway, they got off the helicopter and stood by watching us lift off on our journey and I hope David will pop back on the thread to tell you that this was a definite highlight of a very enjoyable cruise and just a perfect ending to our time in Hawaii. I am sure they, like us would HIGHLY recommend Safari Helicopter in Kuai.

The van will come and get you right at the port...super convenient!!

P1020742vanpickup.jpg

Here comes our ride!

P1020744Herecomesourride.jpg

Look who's in there!!! :)

P1020745Lookwhosinside.jpg

P1020811wickedcool.jpg

The coast

P1020838amazing.jpg

P1020843roundrainbow.jpg

P1020847roundrainbow2.jpg

I learned something on this flight. Rainbows are round...who knew??

(ok, I am sure some of you out there that are dorks may have known, but this was news to me :p:p)

I'd do it again without one second's hesitation....but we love sea days.

Flying just to CA was tough...if I had to fly to Hawaii it would just be unbearable for me.

I am with you. I would much rather spend 10 days on the Spirit than 10 hours in a darn airplane!

Thanks for the great review.

Kevin C

On Carnival or one of the other west coast based cruiselines?

I would love to give Princess a try...but then again, this cruise was pretty awesome (with the exception of music/entertainment).

But, from what I am reading, people on Princess`Hawaii were bored...so to be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do. :confused:

I will say it will be a while before I go back to Hawaii. I know this sounds insane, but as far as cruises go, I much prefer the southern caribbean.

I am with you. I would much rather spend 10 days on the Spirit than 10 hours in a darn airplane!

Thanks for the great review.

Kevin C

That's why we chose the CA to HI cruise. Originally I was looking at Princess but then when I saw the group cruise formed here, we decided to jump in, even though NCL is my line of choice. I just can't fly to HI.

I'd LOVE to see Fiji one day and maybe Austrailia...but until they come up with quicker transportation it ain't gonna happen for me. :p

Edited by halos

Halos,

My husband and I were on the Hawaii cruise aboard the Carnival Spirit and we agree 100% with your review. The cruise was very good and we had a great time. However, the cruise could have been excellent if the entertainment had been more often and better. Yes the weather wasn't favorable but the CD should had a back-up plan. The Captain was awesome and I loved his comments about the "point of no return" and being "spooky"

I think the Captain was a hit with everyone. What a great guy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

later...cruise/ship/crew pics

Edited by halos

That's why we chose the CA to HI cruise. Originally I was looking at Princess but then when I saw the group cruise formed here, we decided to jump in, even though NCL is my line of choice. I just can't fly to HI.

I'd LOVE to see Fiji one day and maybe Austrailia...but until they come up with quicker transportation it ain't gonna happen for me. :p

I am flying out tomorrow... but broke it up into 2 segments. I am flying from Memphis to LAX after work tomorrow. I will join my mom and sister at whatever hotel they have reserved and then we fly to Maui first thing Saturday morning. I will be doing the same coming back.

Loving your review!!! Looking forward to the rest of it!!

I would love to give Princess a try...but then again, this cruise was pretty awesome (with the exception of music/entertainment).

But, from what I am reading, people on Princess`Hawaii were bored...so to be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do. :confused:

I will say it will be a while before I go back to Hawaii. I know this sounds insane, but as far as cruises go, I much prefer the southern caribbean.

I have done this cruise 7 times and I'm never bored on Princess. Gonna try Carnival next year. same cruise. Will post a comparison, but it may be biased as I really love Princess. It's a great fit for me.

I'm a slow reader, but I take it this is still a cruise frought with octenogarians and ninetenogarians? And what a disappointment about the horn. Our sail away not only has a horn blowing, but a horn blowing contest, with the Holiday, which was also in port with us, and sailed away first, with us following it out.

And no ukelaili (sp) band on the lido? That's the part that made the beginning of the cruise so special

I envy you guys though, that you got to sail back. We would have loved that down sea day relaxing time after that extensive 7 days of touring, but not at those prices!

Reading on...... (and can't wait to see the pix!)

While there was no ukelaili on Lido....they did have a dedicated Hawaiian solo entertainer in the Atrium almost every day.

His name was Guy and he was WONDERFUL. And yes, he can play one mean ukelaili....along with a regular 6 string guitar!!

I have done this cruise 7 times and I'm never bored on Princess. Gonna try Carnival next year. same cruise. Will post a comparison, but it may be biased as I really love Princess. It's a great fit for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts comparing the two lines!

Like every line, you hear mixed reviews. I know some people that love Princess...however, I literally (on the whale watch boat) talked the the videographer from the Golden Princess who happend to be on the whale watch with us. I asked him straight out how old the passengers were and he said 70 minimum.

LOL.....

Then again, he was approx 24, so anyone over 40 probably looks 70 to him. :p

Edited by halos

About the guy on the Serenity Deck....I would imagine they had a hard stop as to not disturb the AFT cabins.

Music has a tendency to carry....

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Serenity deck on the Spirit!!!!

Edited by LHP

About the guy on the Serenity Deck....I would imagine they had a hard stop as to not disturb the AFT cabins.

Then they should have had him play at the middle pool.

Having sailed prior 14/15 day itineraries I can tell you, by comparison, entertainment and night life were very poor on this cruise.

It is what it is on Carnival....but there is a difference on other lines. I have experienced it.

Yes, the serenity deck is absolutely a fabulous upgrade to these ships. :)

I am flying out tomorrow... but broke it up into 2 segments. I am flying from Memphis to LAX after work tomorrow. I will join my mom and sister at whatever hotel they have reserved and then we fly to Maui first thing Saturday morning. I will be doing the same coming back.

Loving your review!!! Looking forward to the rest of it!!

I hope you have a great time :)

Edited by halos

Bringing back great memories, you got alot in one trip and a nice way to do from east coast...

Your dolphin and whale trips very successful..cool..adore the helicopter on all isles but the one not to miss was Kauaii..good job...

Now I too wonder which ship, glad sime things got better with food as you went along..trying to do this with my folks..maybe we fly all the way one way and do a condo stay afterwords somewherre after a week and come home...missing some of the milk run air. Thanks for candid comments and great photos...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Bringing back great memories, you got alot in one trip and a nice way to do from east coast...

Your dolphin and whale trips very successful..cool..adore the helicopter on all isles but the one not to miss was Kauaii..good job...

Now I too wonder which ship, glad sime things got better with food as you went along..trying to do this with my folks..maybe we fly all the way one way and do a condo stay afterwords somewherre after a week and come home...missing some of the milk run air. Thanks for candid comments and great photos...Sarah

If I lived on the west coast like you, I'd consider flying to Hawaii a lot quicker than I would consider it from here. For me, it's a nightmare just to get to CA.

Yeah, I think we did get a lot in, which is why those sea days were absolutely awesome. The itinerary is perfect for those of us on the east coast. We had all those days to slowly get our body clocks adjusted and to releax into vacation mode...then 5 days of intense touring...and then five days to relax and push forward in time

(I must say it sucks losing time on the way home. It makes it go that much faster :().

Then we had to face the flights home (yuk) and of course I was stuck next to a guy with a bad cold.

EWWWWWWW