Spirit 15 Days~Hawaii: A Review

halos

Sorry, pressed submit before I was finished. Did anyone wear tuxedos to dinner on formal night? Or is a Hawaii cruise too laid back for that? Bought a tux for QM2 last year and want to get some use out of it.

I'm really scared of heights but the helicopter tour seems a must do. Any motion sickness with it? Dont know if I'd enjoy it or be praying for it to end. lol.

We've been twice so we will probably skip the Volcanoes Park and Hana, did them in 04 and loved them but need other ideas for those islands.

Did I miss the story on the jumper you mentioned on page 1?

Does anyone know if the captain will retire before the Vancouver cruise to Hawaii, he sounds like fun.

Thanks again,

Tony

Sorry, pressed submit before I was finished. Did anyone wear tuxedos to dinner on formal night? Or is a Hawaii cruise too laid back for that? Bought a tux for QM2 last year and want to get some use out of it.

I'm really scared of heights but the helicopter tour seems a must do. Any motion sickness with it? Dont know if I'd enjoy it or be praying for it to end. lol.

We've been twice so we will probably skip the Volcanoes Park and Hana, did them in 04 and loved them but need other ideas for those islands.

Did I miss the story on the jumper you mentioned on page 1?

Does anyone know if the captain will retire before the Vancouver cruise to Hawaii, he sounds like fun.

Thanks again,

Tony

Hi!!

As far as tuxes, I can tell you my husband wore his and did not feel out of place. Unlike the shorter cruises, this itinerary draws more suit/tux wearers!!

I am afraid of heights as well and have had no issues on helicopter rides or even the hot air balloon rides I have been on....I also suffer motion sickness (use Bonine for auto and ship both) but have no issues with that on a helicopter. Obviously I can't say if you will be afraid or not, I just wanted to let you know that if you decide to try this, you will be VERY happy you did. Don't let a phobia keep you from anything. As Nike says, 'Just DO it!'

Yes, we had a jumper. If you do a search I am sure the threads about it that were posted here will immediately pop up....not much to say. The man jumped from the Serenity deck in broad daylight in front of a LOT of people and was thankfully rescued.

The Captain (Volpi) is retiring in Sept.

I guess I'll be wearing my tux then. And I thinki I'll have to suck it up and do the helicopter too. I'm not crazy about flying in airplanes so a helicopter is not something I thought I'd ever do.

Our cruise is Sept 18 from Vancouver, I wondeer if Capt. Volper will take the ship to Australia or leave before then.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!!

As far as tuxes, I can tell you my husband wore his and did not feel out of place. Unlike the shorter cruises, this itinerary draws more suit/tux wearers!!

I am afraid of heights as well and have had no issues on helicopter rides or even the hot air balloon rides I have been on....I also suffer motion sickness (use Bonine for auto and ship both) but have no issues with that on a helicopter. Obviously I can't say if you will be afraid or not, I just wanted to let you know that if you decide to try this, you will be VERY happy you did. Don't let a phobia keep you from anything. As Nike says, 'Just DO it!'

Yes, we had a jumper. If you do a search I am sure the threads about it that were posted here will immediately pop up....not much to say. The man jumped from the Serenity deck in broad daylight in front of a LOT of people and was thankfully rescued.

The Captain (Volpi) is retiring in Sept.

Hi--we were on this cruise with you and your review was wonderful and we AGREE with almost everything you said. It was CRUISE OF A LIFETIME AND WE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE. Of course there were the negatives but there were so many more positives!! and every day was a new adventure. Thank you for taking the time to do this review--it sums up how alot of us feel about this cruise. We were with the MALIHINIS but our group included anyone who wanted to join us and that made it even more fun. Lenore and Ernie:)

Hi. I've made my way through the 1st 7 pages and will continue. Great review. We were in Hawaii last summer, a week each in Waikiki, Oahu and Maui. We were coming from Newfoundland, Canada. The flight over was broken up by a few nights in Alberta as DH had business. The way back we flew Maui-Honolulu, with a few hours layover (just in case as flights were on different airlines and not connected), then red eye to Vancouver, Vancouver to Toronto only to find our flight to St. John's delayed a few hours and then to St. John's. OMG, I was destroyed. It took forever to recover and then there was the 7.5 hr time difference.

Anyway I've toyed with taking a round trip cruise there from California. But I am concerned that there is a not a lot of time actually in Hawaii. I wish there was more time in Hawaii as it is so beautiful.

Hi. I've made my way through the 1st 7 pages and will continue. Great review. We were in Hawaii last summer, a week each in Waikiki, Oahu and Maui. We were coming from Newfoundland, Canada. The flight over was broken up by a few nights in Alberta as DH had business. The way back we flew Maui-Honolulu, with a few hours layover (just in case as flights were on different airlines and not connected), then red eye to Vancouver, Vancouver to Toronto only to find our flight to St. John's delayed a few hours and then to St. John's. OMG, I was destroyed. It took forever to recover and then there was the 7.5 hr time difference.

Anyway I've toyed with taking a round trip cruise there from California. But I am concerned that there is a not a lot of time actually in Hawaii. I wish there was more time in Hawaii as it is so beautiful.

It isn't a lot of time at all. If you truly love Hawaii, I think flying directly there would be best. For us, we were totally in it for the cruise/sea days.

Edited by halos

• 4 months later...
We cruise frequently and I am llooking at this trip for a special birthday next April. My favorite part of a cruise is a vibrant somewhat drunken pool deck. Is this cruise a mistake?

LOL...abolsutely. There was no vibrant drunken pool deck to be had and yes, I missed it. This was NOT because the passenger demographic was slighly older, it was because there was no party atmosphere with little to no live music.

Thanks for posting ... Looking forward to someday take this cruise.. : )
Enjoyed your review, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Thank you :)

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Loved your review - what a lot of effort!

I don't know if you'll be popping back here to this thread [ given that it has been quite a while since the last post] BUT I was hoping you could tell me how many formal/elegant nights there were on this Cruise?

We are going on the 15 day Hawaii Cruise on the Miracle in April and I would really like to know how many cocktail dresses to pack??;)

Thanks so much

Hi there,

Loved your review - what a lot of effort!

I don't know if you'll be popping back here to this thread [ given that it has been quite a while since the last post] BUT I was hoping you could tell me how many formal/elegant nights there were on this Cruise?

We are going on the 15 day Hawaii Cruise on the Miracle in April and I would really like to know how many cocktail dresses to pack??;)

Thanks so much

I was on this cruise also, there were 2 formal nights.

Wow, After 9 mos it was very nice to relive this wonderful cruise. We were the couple that got married on board just before sail-away :D. We were also part of the Moana Malihinis group along with The Buddy Bears Group :D

The sea days were AWSOME, Ports were just great. We hiked Diamond Head, visited Volcano National Park, tons of snorkeling, luau (Paradise Cove) and lots of shopping (We had rented a car in 3 of the 5 ports)

Great review and have to agree with everything you have said Halo,

~L

The sea days were AWSOME, Ports were just great. We hiked Diamond Head, visited Volcano National Park, tons of snorkeling, luau (Paradise Cove) and lots of shopping (We had rented a car in 3 of the 5 ports)

We are looking for a spot or two to snorkel from the Beach. I love to swim and snorkel but my husband doesn't!:eek: He just loved a nice beach to walk along and Tan?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Edited by copper6606

We, too, sailed on this cruise to Hawaii and enjoyed every second of it! In fact, it was the BEST vacation my wife and I have enjoyed in our 38 years of marriage!

We LOVED the sea days too! There wasn't a single thing to complain about. It was perfect! We thoroughly enjoyed being part of the "Malahini" group and look forward to sailing with some of you next year aboard the Freedom.

:cool:Bill

• 8 months later...

I would imagine your best bet to renting a car, would be at the airport for whichever island you are on. You should be able to rent, pick it up, and return it all at the airport. It would be up to you to get to and from the airport, to and from the ship.

To me, that is a lot more hassle than just booking a tour. You can meet your tour right at the pier. Even if your particular tour doesn't actually leave at the pier, they will meet you near the ship, and take you to where the tour starts. They will also drop you back off at the ship, after the tour.

• 9 months later...
Just finished this thread. One of the best I have read on here. Going to Hawaii in December and this will be so helpful in our planning.

Thank you so much Halos.

You booked it? Great! I'm excited for you and look forward to hearing if anything on CCL has changed between my sailing and yours ( meaning, for the good!)

You booked it? Great! I'm excited for you and look forward to hearing if anything on CCL has changed between my sailing and yours ( meaning, for the good!)

David (who was on your cruise with you) just gave me the name of your helicopter company) Safari and will do my best to convince DW to do it.

Believe it or not we finally did our first Princess cruise few months ago a TA to Copenhagen so you can see there is still hope for me.:):)

Really enjoyed it but thought the entertainment on Carnival in some areas better but the activities with social staff on Princess much better and more variety and imagination.

David (who was on your cruise with you) just gave me the name of your helicopter company) Safari and will do my best to convince DW to do it.

Believe it or not we finally did our first Princess cruise few months ago a TA to Copenhagen so you can see there is still hope for me.:):)

Really enjoyed it but thought the entertainment on Carnival in some areas better but the activities with social staff on Princess much better and more variety and imagination.

Yes, Safari Helicopter was definitely he most memorable thing about the cruise (well, other than the jumper). You won't regret doing it!!

I'm doing RCI in Sept and trying my first mega ship (Breakaway) next June. Then I'm hoping for a break from cruising. I'm dying to spend a couple weeks doing England/Ireland/Scotland. Hoping to plan that next.

Wow, I still think about, and remember fondly, our Hawaii cruise. I still can't believe how fast the 15 days "sailed" right by. :D:

We used Safari for a helicopter tour, over Kauai. My girlfriend was on the cruise with us, and I had to really talk her into doing a helicopter. She had never been on one, and wasn't thrilled about it. She got to sit up front, with the pilot. Afterwards, she couldn't stop raving about it, and said it was the best tour ever. I highly recommend Safari, they do a superb job, and have a great product.

Wish I was going back. Have a wonderful trip, and cruise.