Spirit 15 Days~Hawaii: A Review

halos

If I lived on the west coast like you, I'd consider flying to Hawaii a lot quicker than I would consider it from here. For me, it's a nightmare just to get to CA.

Yeah, I think we did get a lot in, which is why those sea days were absolutely awesome. The itinerary is perfect for those of us on the east coast. We had all those days to slowly get our body clocks adjusted and to releax into vacation mode...then 5 days of intense touring...and then five days to relax and push forward in time

(I must say it sucks losing time on the way home. It makes it go that much faster :().

Then we had to face the flights home (yuk) and of course I was stuck next to a guy with a bad cold.

EWWWWWWW

Flying East in much harder than flying west period. From here we always have 6 or 8 hours to CALI...and one plane change through Denver or Salt Lake,,hence except for two more hours of time change..almst as bad..but this is from Montana where I am now ..not Portland where I hope to live again and the one way to many islands has returned...YEAH.

Ewww is right sorry on darn cold and it is just good that cold food got better...as per my lousy food bread and butter on Spirit of previous 5 days..A,,half of the time experience..not all of it...

Also interested in your comments about Caribbean being more cruiseable..I think maybe so...more islands closer together with more built ports and more ships doing it for competition and gambling for those who want that etc. I know in Hawaii..being closer to there..by not much but especially on coast...just so much more of air or sea...either way.

For us in Montana..flying all the way to Florida might be a good idea...maybe we could get a fancier/nicer for same money. one time cruise with folks, a just right thing there..deciding..Hawaii..because we have all had some great land only trips we would have to have land with...I think,,hmmmm..knowing my dad...hmmmm..thanks so for this photo and detail on tour reviews..fabulous..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Flying East in much harder than flying west period. From here we always have 6 or 8 hours to CALI...and one plane change through Denver or Salt Lake,,hence except for two more hours of time change..almst as bad..but this is from Montana where I am now ..not Portland where I hope to live again and the one way to many islands has returned...YEAH.

Ewww is right sorry on darn cold and it is just good that cold food got better...as per my lousy food bread and butter on Spirit of previous 5 days..A,,half of the time experience..not all of it...

Also interested in your comments about Caribbean being more cruiseable..I think maybe so...more islands closer together with more built ports and more ships doing it for competition and gambling for those who want that etc. I know in Hawaii..being closer to there..by not much but especially on coast...just so much more of air or sea...either way.

For us in Montana..flying all the way to Florida might be a good idea...maybe we could get a fancier/nicer for same money. one time cruise with folks, a just right thing there..deciding..Hawaii..because we have all had some great land only trips we would have to have land with...I think,,hmmmm..knowing my dad...hmmmm..thanks so for this photo and detail on tour reviews..fabulous..Sarah

We like the Caribbean as we can drive and not put up with airlines.

Have gotten tired of Carnival entertainment and will be doing our first NCL in Feb. Carival is really geared for first and second time cruises who do not know what it used to be like. Final straw was making the love and marriage game an evening entertainment and than making it the same night the piano bar is closed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts comparing the two lines!

Like every line, you hear mixed reviews. I know some people that love Princess...however, I literally (on the whale watch boat) talked the the videographer from the Golden Princess who happend to be on the whale watch with us. I asked him straight out how old the passengers were and he said 70 minimum.

LOL.....

Then again, he was approx 24, so anyone over 40 probably looks 70 to him. :p

Me too..I have no experience on NCL and sooo glad Halos feels it is good...and only 1 time on Star Princess back in 2001 or 2 before all these music cuts..I loved thier Sabbatini's, Spa, tons of Music, more Broadway like shows...understated but elegant ships..beautiful..and just music variety so much..oh loved the much nicer llido too..the pool places..sigh..loved Princess..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

We like the Caribbean as we can drive and not put up with airlines.

Have gotten tired of Carnival entertainment and will be doing our first NCL in Feb. Carival is really geared for first and second time cruises who do not know what it used to be like. Final straw was making the love and marriage game an evening entertainment and than making it the same night the piano bar is closed.

Thanks Stu..and sorry Halos..not meaning to take over here..and yoU hit my name a got my food comment Stu... i am sure if you wanted..yeah....the level of down hill from2009 4 day on Paradise shocking.

I am really looking forward to finding deals on NCL, Royal, Holland, Princess AND Celebrity...maybe I'd do Carnival in Europe if tons more affordable..and Maaaybe Hawaii..but think maybe folks woud like the other NCL line and a land week there and then face the fliying. I can save a couple hundred more dollars paying the other guys way too anyway and enjoy the special restaurants some...I like that..I mean heck..if careful with it all you can buget for anything...thanks Stu...sorry Halos...SARAH

Edited by sjn911

Things that make you go, ‘Huh??’

I already touched on the cruise director walking away from an activity that drew a tons of people, that were having a BLAST with him, then after 30 minutes leaving us hanging there with a lousy piano player…

And the ribs on formal night (??? Seriously)

But here are a few more:

There was some light piped in music in the steak house….and simultaneously, we could hear the guy in the atrium bar playing very loudly. It was quite distracting and annoying.

Drink coupons that don’t cover the cost of the drinks (???)

Things that made us go, “Wow!’

Again, the crew was just superb. I keep thinking about how awesome they were and I have to say I am still floored by it.

The generosity of the bartenders….If you recall my little story about the woman in the hall who ‘shouldn’t have had that double’, I should expand on that to tell you that I basically had the same experience…well, I had two doubles. I had two double-tall Bloody Mary’s and suddenly I laid on the lounge chair and passed out for two hours. I woke up telling my husband that I thought that Putu was trying to kill me. J

I have never been on any cruise on any line with drinks that had such ‘good pours’ (This statement does NOT include the frozen-foo-foo concoctions that were totally devoid of any alcohol what-so-ever). The entire cruise was like this, no matter what bar or bartender.

The color of the waters in Hawaii….I thought the Caribbean seas were magnificent, but this was even more beautiful somehow. I can’t believe the colors…from the most amazing turquoise to the deepest blue the water was just stunning.

The ship….OK, I have to say that the Spirit is by far the best looking CCL ship that I have sailed on. I love this class of ship but the Miracle is just too bizarre and the Legend is just Ok…The Spirit is actually quite pretty, especially considering it’s a Farcus. I would sail her again, gladly.

Then they should have had him play at the middle pool.

Having sailed prior 14/15 day itineraries I can tell you, by comparison, entertainment and night life were very poor on this cruise.

It is what it is on Carnival....but there is a difference on other lines. I have experienced it.

Yes, the serenity deck is absolutely a fabulous upgrade to these ships. :)

I hope you have a great time :)

I am just the opposite... the day time wasn't much for me because I don't trivia, dance class, craft etc.

But my nights were packed with KARAOKE!!! (Talent Show, Legends Show and of course, singing with Doug!! woo hoo)

I do think that if the Piano Bar had been really good...that may have helped some.

Keith was nice enough (and his wife was a doll)....but I just didn't get that "it" vibe from him...so I quit going in there after the first couple of nights.

I already touched on the cruise director walking away from an activity that drew a tons of people, that were having a BLAST with him, then after 30 minutes leaving us hanging there with a lousy piano player…

yes...that one has everyone scratching their heads...lol

But here are a few more:

There was some light piped in music in the steak house….and simultaneously, we could hear the guy in the atrium bar playing very loudly. It was quite distracting and annoying.

AMEN

Again, the crew was just superb. I keep thinking about how awesome they were and I have to say I am still floored by it.

The generosity of the bartenders….If you recall my little story about the woman in the hall who ‘shouldn’t have had that double’, I should expand on that to tell you that I basically had the same experience…well, I had two doubles. I had two double-tall Bloody Mary’s and suddenly I laid on the lounge chair and passed out for two hours. I woke up telling my husband that I thought that Putu was trying to kill me. J

I have never been on any cruise on any line with drinks that had such ‘good pours’ (This statement does NOT include the frozen-foo-foo concoctions that were totally devoid of any alcohol what-so-ever). The entire cruise was like this, no matter what bar or bartender.

The color of the waters in Hawaii….I thought the Caribbean seas were magnificent, but this was even more beautiful somehow. I can’t believe the colors…from the most amazing turquoise to the deepest blue the water was just stunning.

The ship….OK, I have to say that the Spirit is by far the best looking CCL ship that I have sailed on. I love this class of ship but the Miracle is just too bizarre and the Legend is just Ok…The Spirit is actually quite pretty, especially considering it’s a Farcus. I would sail her again, gladly.

I love the Spirit class ship layout .. .. I could always find a spot to just be quiet and read!

I bought bracelets made from the wood from a coconut tree for my daughters from this man who then carved their names into the bracelets

P1020309LahainaYUM.jpg

Wow, I don't like the direction that knife is headed!!! He does have

nice arms.:)

I'd do it again without one second's hesitation....but we love sea days.

Flying just to CA was tough...if I had to fly to Hawaii it would just be unbearable for me.

I haven't convinced my DH to go back to Hawaii because the flights were so miserable. We started at 5am flying from Va to Charlotte then did an 11 hour nonstop to Honolulu. Spent one night in Honolulu and on the Maui the next day. At about the 5 hour mark we were ready to be off the plane. If I ever did it again I'd break up the flights to stop on the west coast somewhere first. Coming back was slightly shorter but was still about 8 1/2 hours on the long leg on a redeye. Part of why I want to do the cruise next time! :p We love sea days as well. Although I could spend 2 weeks in Maui and still not have done what I wanted to.

But here are a few more:

LOL on the pours...waited forever when I got on the ship but the bartender noted and I said no double but a tall and he gave me a great pour of Premium Vodka Tonic for such a long wait, best damn drink and price for premium in a long time and as i can't stomach many now..sooo good..went back to thank and tip him and he smiled and went ssshh. I loved the foufy nicer for Farcus decour too..love the Frenchy feel and notice the side tables on insides had drawers not shelves and cupboard door looking on other newer ships..just a nice thing on the insides.

Would sail her again too, especially with your food improvement 2nd week review and with that sweet sweet staff..I had a little fun in Kareoke too..it is just funny to me no matter what..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I'd love to hear your thoughts comparing the two lines!

Like every line, you hear mixed reviews. I know some people that love Princess...however, I literally (on the whale watch boat) talked the the videographer from the Golden Princess who happend to be on the whale watch with us. I asked him straight out how old the passengers were and he said 70 minimum.

LOL.....

Then again, he was approx 24, so anyone over 40 probably looks 70 to him. :p

He's not lying. I made my family go to shop in Lahaina when we were in Maui because I wanted to take pics of the Golden Princess in port (I'm such a cruise geek! :p) The ages were pretty up there. We joked about it all day. I am almost 40 and mom is mid 60s and they seemed pretty old to both of us. Lots of barely mobile older folks trying to make their way around Lahaina that day.

He's not lying. I made my family go to shop in Lahaina when we were in Maui because I wanted to take pics of the Golden Princess in port (I'm such a cruise geek! :p) The ages were pretty up there. We joked about it all day. I am almost 40 and mom is mid 60s and they seemed pretty old to both of us. Lots of barely mobile older folks trying to make their way around Lahaina that day.

Maybe that is becaus it is a longer Cruise..maybe all 2 weekers a bit like that...Sarah

Maybe that is becaus it is a longer Cruise..maybe all 2 weekers a bit like that...Sarah

This is so true. The longer the cruise, the older the clientele with a few exceptions.

As a 50 year old, I don't mind at all being the young whipper snapper. :D:D:D

But here are a few more:

Wait, what?!?!?! Is this a new thing or just on your cruise???

(Awesome pictures by the way!)

Prior to getting on the helicopter, as it pulled in with it’s first group of passengers that flew before us, we were happy and pleasantly surprised to see David (Tiggerman101) his Mom and Wade as well as a new friend of mine from Scotland (Ann) who I met on the back of the ship when the jumper went overboard. (Funny how you meet and make friends sometimes isn’t it????)

…some parts of this cruise were very Twilight Zone-ish to say the least…

Anyway, they got off the helicopter and stood by watching us lift off on our journey and I hope David will pop back on the thread to tell you that this was a definite highlight of a very enjoyable cruise and just a perfect ending to our time in Hawaii. I am sure they, like us would HIGHLY recommend Safari Helicopter in Kuai.

Sure I will pop back in for this. The helicopter was the highlight of our trip. The sights were unreal. We saw stuff you would swear was only made up in movies. It was an awesome experience and one that I thought was a pretty good deal. My mother even loved it and this was pretty daring for her to do. I would do it all again just the way it was if I ever get back to Kauai. I was happy to learn that they are a family owned and run company. I even had a Thank You email waiting when we got back home. HIGHLY recommended.

It was great to be landing and see you guys waiting for your turn (we had no idea you were doing this).

086.jpg

Halos, Great to read your review...

You re affirmed many of the plans the CC group have been making for our 10/19/2013 Cruise on the Miracle to Hawaii.

So glad you enjoyed the OLL Luau, as I booked it yesterday 1 1/2 years early.

thinking we will have pretty good tables for the group.

Thank you for taking the time to post the review and the photos...

We have sailed the Spirit twice, She was my first cruise and my first love

sad to see her go :(

Splendid Review!

I wish I would have known about this horn blowing tradition before we went on our first cruise. Yup we were right under the darn thing when it went off. Funny thing is it happened about 15 seconds after DH pointed out the sign "horn may blow at any time"! :D We were a little hard of hearing for a few hours after that!:p

Great review, love the pictures. We are on the Splendor to Hawaii on 01/19/2013. We booked this as soon as it was released so it have been a long wait. Only 37 more weeks to go.

For sure, longer itineraries draw far less younger people...I would think it's because of taking time off from work is more difficult for more younger people. People over a certain age may have more vacation time and then there are people who are (God bless them) retired.

HOWEVER....This CCL sailing, although had far less 20-somethings (there were some) than normal, for a long cruise, it still was pretty age diversified, like my longer NCL cruises have been. On my 14 day Celebrity cruise there was NO age diversification. People were 70 and up.

I prefer diversity. :)

As a 50 year old, I don't mind at all being the young whipper snapper.

LOL..that does have it's merrits!

Wait, what?!?!?! Is this a new thing or just on your cruise???

(Awesome pictures by the way!)

I have no idea...we seldom get coupons. My sister won 4 of them (and I a single one) for the mixology contest. They were good for anything $5.95 and under...I think that means they are beer coupons :p

Sure I will pop back in for this. The helicopter was the highlight of our trip. The sights were unreal. We saw stuff you would swear was only made up in movies. It was an awesome experience and one that I thought was a pretty good deal. My mother even loved it and this was pretty daring for her to do. I would do it all again just the way it was if I ever get back to Kauai. I was happy to learn that they are a family owned and run company. I even had a Thank You email waiting when we got back home. HIGHLY recommended.

It was great to be landing and see you guys waiting for your turn (we had no idea you were doing this).

I'm glad to see you pop back :D The DVD was waiting for Charlie when he got home. I am anxiously awaiting my copy!! Did you guys get one?

I can't wait to watch it and relive it!!!

Halos, Great to read your review...

You re affirmed many of the plans the CC group have been making for our 10/19/2013 Cruise on the Miracle to Hawaii.

So glad you enjoyed the OLL Luau, as I booked it yesterday 1 1/2 years early.

thinking we will have pretty good tables for the group.

Thank you for taking the time to post the review and the photos...

We have sailed the Spirit twice, She was my first cruise and my first love

sad to see her go

Splendid Review!

I stopped doing reviews a while ago (basically in conjunction with my every growing disappointment) but vowed to do one this time because of the uniqueness of the itinerary (for Carnival anyway). My Caribbean reviews are basically no longer much help to anyone, but I figured some good info could be gained by CC members by my writing about this cruise. I am just thrilled that this cruise was so good. I was too tired after this cruise to struggle with a flame retardant suit!

My next big hint (that works for anyone before they go on any vacation)

So many times when my DH and I have cruised, we would mid way through, pick up some form of 'bug.

I usually blamed it on the flight to port.

I think that all the pre-vacation stress and all the prep, lost sleep and excitement wears a person down and makes them more susceptible to catch things...and it's easy to catch something going around on a plane OR a cruise ship...so The best advice I can give you for any cruise is:

Take care of yourself in the weeks prior to your cruise...eat and sleep well and take vitamins (They do work) no matter how good your diet is, vitamins are wonderful.

I have discovered Zicam...this stuff is amazing. It comes in many forms, the one that works best is the oral spray. It's a zinc concoction. At the first signs that you may be coming down with something, use it as directed....you would be amazed at how whatever you were coming down with disappears.

Wash your hands :D

I wish I would have known about this horn blowing tradition before we went on our first cruise. !:p

I REALLY missed that horn not blowing. Again, I know it's silly but I missed it.

Great review, love the pictures. We are on the Splendor to Hawaii on 01/19/2013. We booked this as soon as it was released so it have been a long wait. Only 37 more weeks to go.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did mine :)

You're going in January so be SURE to do a whale watch in Maui!!

The Serenity Lounge is awesome AND you can sign out beach towels OR amazingly soft, warm blankets. Hopefully you won't need them. We did. However, my dh and I crawled into one of the little clamshell thingies one day with a few of those blankets and despite the chilly air, fell fast asleep.

It was heaven. :)