Port Hole Cabins Good or Bad?

cruzlovr75

I am already looking at cruises, I have a bug! :rolleyes:

I was looking at a porthole cabin can you tell me the good and the bad about them please? We have been on 2 cruises so far. One room had a balcony and the other was interior. Thanks.

Our first cruise was a porthole. All you can see is basically what is right in front of you. So to us it wasn't worth the extra money. It did let a little light in, but not much. Our room only had one porthole, and it was little. Some rooms have two and they are a good size. Do some research to see what type of porthole room it is. I wouldn't book the one little porthole room!

I love the porthole cabins! Great value! Oceanview for the the price of an interior. I also think they may have a little more square footage than the average interior.

The only con to me is that the are far forward & therefore you can sometimes feel the ships motion more than you might in other areas.

I loved my porthole. I booked one for my next cruise. I have had OV and inside. The porthole was bigger than either and had the windows. Just as good as an OV and a lot less. PT's are cheaper than some insides, so for me it was a great value, and my next is even better.

The port hole I was looking at is on the Liberty and its the same price as the inside room.

My hubby does tend to get seasick, we usually choose mid-ship. Would a port hole be a bad idea then? More motion felt up front?

We had one on the Inspiration a few weeks ago. Liked the room, but it was noisier then rooms we have had before. We were on main deck and when they used the thrusters, it was loud and some vibration. They only did this while docking.

We would book one again. Here is a link to a few photos of M-11 on Inspiration.

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Inspiration%20cruise%20April%202012/M-11/

We had one on the Inspiration a few weeks ago. Liked the room, but it was noisier then rooms we have had before. We were on main deck and when they used the thrusters, it was loud and some vibration. They only did this while docking.

We would book one again. Here is a link to a few photos of M-11 on Inspiration.

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/welldone60/Inspiration%20cruise%20April%202012/M-11/

Cool! Thanks for sharing.:cool:

We had a porthole room on the Valor. Loved it! It was great to watch the world outside, windows are are nice size, and it was low enough to really hear the waves. We did hit some rough waves, but we enjoyed watching them go over our window. We were on Riveria deck 1. A bit more motion but did not have a problem with it. I tend to have motion sickness, but never felt sick from it. It was a great rocking to bed each night. I want to get one again,but since we are taking my MIL on next cruise we will have to get a balcony~ she smokes. Thinking cove due to the water line. Great deal if you can get one. they do sell out fast.

We had porthole on Imagination and liked it, same price as interior, told it is a little larger than regular interiors. In the front of ship, lower levels, so there was a little noise when anchor went up and down but on the Splendor, 2220 and 2221-OMG-it was so loud that you could not hear

the TV when it was at its loudest and the shaking, I thought the anchor was coming through our cabin and my friends across the hall did also, plus people in cabins forward of us said that also. So, not sure on other ships, but Splendo-never again.

Our first cruise was a porthole. All you can see is basically what is right in front of you. So to us it wasn't worth the extra money. It did let a little light in, but not much. Our room only had one porthole, and it was little. Some rooms have two and they are a good size. Do some research to see what type of porthole room it is. I wouldn't book the one little porthole room!

They don't cost extra money. They are the same price as the 2nd lowest interior cabin category (just above the upper/lower 4A category).

We have loved our porthole cabins. I loved the Riviera level, DH loves the Main. Really look at the "floor" map, some of the cabins that show that they are larger, really are larger. Two round windows, with enough space to sit in the ledge area. I love to hear the waves, so the closer to the water, the happier I am. And if you are going to tender on any of your ports, or docking for that matter, you are closer to the "exit". It's nice to come back from an excursion, enter the ship, and walk up one level to your cabin.:)

They don't cost extra money. They are the same price as the 2nd lowest interior cabin category (just above the upper/lower 4A category).

On some ships, they are the cheapest cabins on the ship! You need to research before you book, but there are a lot of 1A (upper/lower) cabins which aren't upper/lower at all. They are actually porthole cabins with either two twin beds or one twin bed and a convertible sofa.

I did some cc searches and I found that on the Conquest Class that cabins 2216 & 2217 on the Main deck are the 1A's with the two portholes, twin bed with the convertible sofa. I was able to get cabin 2217 on my Sept 22 Glory Canada/New England sailing. I figured I would give it a try. I have never been in the front before. Always mid or back. It wound up being the best bargain on the ship.

We like them and they are usually the same price as an inside cabin. You can get more movement in them because they are in the front of the ship so if you get seasick it might not be a great choice. We have also had noise from the anchor dropping but we aren't late sleepers.

I am already looking at cruises, I have a bug! :rolleyes:

I was looking at a porthole cabin can you tell me the good and the bad about them please? We have been on 2 cruises so far. One room had a balcony and the other was interior. Thanks.

My first cruise we had a porthole cabin. Personally if it's close to interior price (I'm talking less than $50 more per person) I'd go for it, but any more than that I'd just go for the interior to save money, or splurge for the picture window or balcony...

DD and I had a PH cabin on the Freedom 2217, loved it. DH and I aways have a balcony cabin. I talked DH into a 4J on the Liberty (a inside with windows on the Lido deck) then when we get off we will go to the Victory to a PH Ia on the main deck, cabin 2217. By not getting a balcony we can go on a 7day and 5 day back to back!! I have cruised in every room except a inside without a window or PH. So excited about this cruise and to show DH that we don't need a balcony every time we cruise.

On some ships, they are the cheapest cabins on the ship! You need to research before you book, but there are a lot of 1A (upper/lower) cabins which aren't upper/lower at all. They are actually porthole cabins with either two twin beds or one twin bed and a convertible sofa.

wow, didn't realize that. could be even cheaper!

we are staying in our first porthole in August on the Elation, so if that goes well will have to look for those special 1A cabins in the future.

Archived