Guarantee upgrade -- when??

tomculb

We just signed up for a VH guarantee on the Westerdam to Alaska in June. Reading these boards I've been assured that unless I'm a convicted felon with an outstanding warrant, I'll get an upgrade. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I'm impatient. When am I likely to get that wonderful email asking whether I'd prefer the port or starboard penthouse? :p

I booked a guaranty for our May 6th cruise and received my cabin assignment (upgraded 2 categories) 3 weeks before our cruise.

I noticed the upgrade before they sent me an e-mail.

I was checking my account on the HAL site every day and one night noticed there was a stateroom # where before there wasn't anything.:)

I received an e-mail 2 days later telling me I had been assigned a cabin. Not sure why it took so long for them to e-mail but that's okay.

Edit to add....I almost always book guaranty and I've received an upgrade every single time I have.

an upgrade is usually within the same type of room; i.e. veranda. Alaskan cruises are very popular. Hopefully your upgrade won't be to a room under the kitchen or Lido pool if there are verandas there.. You must take your upgrade. That is the biggie about going guarantee. If I every got upgraded to a penthouse, I would never come out of it except on the last day. The heck with the ports!!:D

One never knows about an upgrade. Haven't done an Alaskan one yet but when I booked a slightly higher category than you (VF guarantee) 6 months out on the Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal cruise I thought for sure I would get one. It didn't happen but I still had a great cruise.

I checked HA's website, along with others, daily for available cabins. It always showed many available verandahs. HA must have upgraded past passengers or offered upsells to people in oceanviews. About 3 weeks prior to the cruise date I got my cabin assignment & shortly after I got an upsell offer to either a superior verandah suite and I forget which other category. You will need to act fast on any upsell offers. I waited a few days, maybe it was a week, debating whether it was worth the investment to me and when I finally decided to call HA the entire ship was booked except for a few insides. Good Luck whatever you do.

Booked for May 2 (yep, sailing day after tomorrow :D). Got an upsell offer on April 11, which we didn't take. Then our cabin assignment arrived on April 21, so 11 days out. From a FF gty to a D. Location wise a great upgrade!

Last cruise we got really lucky, but I never knew why or who to thank for it, and I wouldn't count on it EVER to happen again. We booked a VF and received an upgrade to SY gty 2 months before sailing. Two weeks before sailing we received our assignment: SS. Like I said, we couldn't believe our luck and we definitely don't count on it ever to happen again.

Good luck to you and happy sailing!

We just signed up for a VH guarantee on the Westerdam to Alaska in June. Reading these boards I've been assured that unless I'm a convicted felon with an outstanding warrant, I'll get an upgrade. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I'm impatient. When am I likely to get that wonderful email asking whether I'd prefer the port or starboard penthouse? :p

If you hear those words of upgrade or upsell, it will happen a few weeks out from your cruise all the way until you get on board.

Check your junk mail, probably several offers in there :eek:.

I'm surprised that no one noticed your smiley face! As to your question, you should have already received your upgrade unless the outstanding warrant is just late in the mail!;)

I also am sailing on the Westerdam, but on May 12. I booked a VH guarantee as well, and I still do not have a room assignment. I'm getting anxious too! :)

Patience, you'll get a cabin number and maybe an uprade soon.

an upgrade is usually within the same type of room; i.e. veranda. Alaskan cruises are very popular. Hopefully your upgrade won't be to a room under the kitchen or Lido pool if there are verandas there.. You must take your upgrade. That is the biggie about going guarantee. If I every got upgraded to a penthouse, I would never come out of it except on the last day. The heck with the ports!!:D

You'd have to come out of it, else you'd miss all the FOOD! lol

I'm surprised that no one noticed your smiley face!
I think everyone knew there was a lot of tongue in the cheek there. :)

You'd have to come out of it, else you'd miss all the FOOD! lol
Nope! Room service!

I also am sailing on the Westerdam, but on May 12. I booked a VH guarantee as well, and I still do not have a room assignment. I'm getting anxious too! :)

We sail May 13 on the Amsterdam, with an SB guarantee. Received our stateroom assignment (and slight upgrade to SA) just this afternoon.

Same cruise, same booking. See you there. We may be next each other in those VH cabins.

I wouldn't expect to hear a peep from HAL until 3 weeks out at the earliest and you may not find out until you get to the port the day of sailing.

The cardinal rule of "guarantee" bookings: Don't book it unless you will be happy in it. Upgrades are never a guarantee with a "guarantee." :p;)

Happy upgrade thoughts your way and I know your cruise will be lovely. :)

Same cruise, same booking. See you there. We may be next each other in those VH cabins.

Yep, We'll probably be 2 of the 4 in those cabins. lol. oh well. You'll have to let me know when you get your room assignment and if you got an upgrade or not.

I received my cabin assignment about 5 days before sailing, and this time no upgrade on my J inside guarantee cabin. My J cabin location was very good, though, it was the third cabin down from the laundry, and right near the exit to the Lower Promenade deck, so I did enjoy the cabin. I didn't hear any noise from the laundry, and it was very convenient to get my laundry done. This was one of the few times that I have not received an upgrade when I booked a guarantee cabin. I have never been offered an upsell - perhaps they don't offer them to solos who book inside guarantee cabins.

We have a VF guarantee on the Noordam sailing on May 18th, and still no cabin assignment. I check the HAL website many times per day hoping to see a number there. I am not that concerned about an upgrade, I am just so excited for our cruise that I want to see an official number!

I originally had an inside M guarantee for my May 13th Prinsendam voyage. After the price dropped $800 after final payment, I asked to get it. They said no, the best they could do was give me a minimum outside H guarantee, which was priced around $400 less after the price drop than what I paid originally for the inside M. Around a week and a half ago, they finally assigned the cabin, which is an outside F. So, I don't know what an F was priced at either before or after the price drop, but it is an upgrade from the original inside.

I'm taking this a tongue in cheek:D & hope you will not be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade..[U]Agree the wait will try your patience![/U]

We loved Alaska & hope you will too..

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers..Betty

Archived