Azamara vs. Oceania - my opinion

travelinjudy

Thank you all for your posts. We are sailing on the Journey next week which will be our first Azamara cruise. We have done more cruises than I can count from Regent, Cunard and Crystal down to Carnival and some river cruises as well (love those). Most of the time we sail Celebrity or Royal because of our family. We are finding that we are outgrowing all the bells and whistles the larger ships provide so we know AZ will be a good fit for us. This thread has really gotten me excited. I know I'm going to be spoiled but it's the chance I am looking forward to taking!

CruiseChick00

Hi Judy, nice to read your post. We are looking forward to meeting up with you again.

I am packing to leave for Nice this Saturday to go on another Azamara cruise. I have done one previous on Azamara and one on Oceania and I also have an Oceania booked for September.

If I was able to cancel our Oceania cruise, I would, due to the way I have been treated by Oceania during the booking process. As we are meeting up with other friends we are committed to go but I doubt whether we will cruise with them again. It is probably too long a story but they certainly havel to look at the way the treat their customers - they definitely made the entire booking process so difficult and upsetting (we made the unfortunate mistake of being Aussies and trying to book with our US friends who we travel with via a travel agent in the US - as we did last year with Celebrity). Needless to say, they cancelled our booking without telling us and we were forced to book with an Aussie agent for a higher price and less on board credit. We even had to fight for the on board credit that was offered through the Oceania brochure (Australian brochure) - they kept saying I was reading it wrong, but in the end we did get it.

Really, it shouldn't have to be that hard to book.

We are looking forward to our Nice to Venice cruise on the Quest and meeting our new cruise critic friends.

20 months ago, as Journey was blissfully sailing the Eastern Mediterranean, present company and DW onboard, some very demented, evil chef decided to include "beef stroganoff" on the MDR menu. It is pretty hard to mess up beef strips cooked with onions, muchrooms, in a sour cream sauce, but he did. It was the only bad, and I mean REALLY BAD, inedible meal we had during those 12 days. It was so ghastly, so awful, that the 2 of us are STILL laughing about it, as I said, 20 months later. Certainly it was the most "memorable" meal of the cruise. For newbies to Azamara who worry about the food and the wines, have no fear. That chef was drawn and quartered, after being keelhauled. I suspect he works for Costa now, or McDonalds... Food in the MDR was always very, very good, occasionally spectacular, and dinners in the specialty DRs were a notch above that. We did not leave the ship hungry. (OBTW: never had any real problem booking reservations in the specialty DRs. There was one day, late in the afternoon, when I wanted to get in and could not, but no problem for booking the next day. This was on a fairly full, lengthy cruise.) I think the greatest culinary concern we should have at this time is when the Rose wines will be introduced. And I vote for the Roses of Provence and Spain, please, please skip pink stuff from the US.

Comparing Oceania with Azamara, we should compare the same R ships. In both cases, the cabins are plain functional. In the public areas (e.g. restaurants), Oceania is more ornate, while Azamara is still plain functional. The passengers on Azamara are even more carefree than Oceania. As for food, for the specialty restaurants, both are the same level, but for the main dining room, Oceania is more refined. Azamara has better on-shore service, namely, shuttle buses in more ports. Azamara is perhaps overall 10-20% less expensive than Oceania (depends on itinerary and time).

The last time we cruised Oceania was 2008, while the only time we cruised Azamara was last year, perhaps things have changed since.

Edited by meow!

I can't offer the comparisons others can. I have cruised only once, on Oceania Marina, but have a 2013 booking on Azamara.

We enjoyed our Oceania cruise very much--the ship is beautiful and the food was exceptional--but we found our time in some ports to be a bit too short.

I do not think that the price differential between Oceania and Azamara is significant--not when you subtract from the cost on Oceania the airfare credit, keep in mind that on Marina there were free nights of dining in specialty restaurants, and can find travel agents who seem have more flexibility with onboard credit and even discounts with Oceania as opposed to Azamara.

To me, it seems the significant difference--and I now look like a marketing person for Azamara--is that Azamara spends a bit more time in port and offers a higher percentage of unusual itineraries. We selected Azamara for a 2013 cruise because of the itinerary, which happens to be one that I have not seen another cruise line offer.

I can't offer the comparisons others can. I have cruised only once, on Oceania Marina, but have a 2013 booking on Azamara.

We enjoyed our Oceania cruise very much--the ship is beautiful and the food was exceptional--but we found our time in some ports to be a bit too short.

I do not think that the price differential between Oceania and Azamara is significant--not when you subtract from the cost on Oceania the airfare credit, keep in mind that on Marina there were free nights of dining in specialty restaurants, and can find travel agents who seem have more flexibility with onboard credit and even discounts with Oceania as opposed to Azamara.

To me, it seems the significant difference--and I now look like a marketing person for Azamara--is that Azamara spends a bit more time in port and offers a higher percentage of unusual itineraries. We selected Azamara for a 2013 cruise because of the itinerary, which happens to be one that I have not seen another cruise line offer.

as a person who loves A and thought the marina so/so i would like to know which trip you are taking as i have about 10 booekd in 2013. I agree A has more interesting ports and later nights in port.

Hi Everyone,

As a reminder, if you view a post which you feel is inappropriate, please use the alert Triangle report.gif to report it. The alert is sent to my attention, and will be taken care of as quickly as possible. No need to battle it out with other members :)

Thanks very much for your consideration.

I do not think that the price differential between Oceania and Azamara is significant--not when you subtract from the cost on Oceania the airfare credit, keep in mind that on Marina there were free nights of dining in specialty restaurants, quote]

I don't like the fact that Azamara is charging for this now, but understand they needed something extra to offer Suite guests. But, now that the average 10-12 night cruise cheapest Veranda is in the $4K - 5K range (or more) it seems tacky to charge for the specialty restaurants. At least they should offer everyone one included night.

On another note we went to Prime C on our last Quest Cruise and it was a total disappointment. It was great on our first cruise.

Ellbon, the April 2013 Seville to Barcelona cruise.

not cruising in april. getting on in jan and leaving in march. quest. then in mid august back on the quest from england to venice.. if i drop any cruise it will be 1st one.

already dreaming of 2014- chance the ship might go back thru the canal.

I do not think that the price differential between Oceania and Azamara is significant--not when you subtract from the cost on Oceania the airfare credit, keep in mind that on Marina there were free nights of dining in specialty restaurants, quote]

I don't like the fact that Azamara is charging for this now, but understand they needed something extra to offer Suite guests. But, now that the average 10-12 night cruise cheapest Veranda is in the $4K - 5K range (or more) it seems tacky to charge for the specialty restaurants. At least they should offer everyone one included night.

On another note we went to Prime C on our last Quest Cruise and it was a total disappointment. It was great on our first cruise.

I

Edited by dfishner

We did an Az cruise last August and an O cruise (R ship) in March so have recent experience on this.

I am not an O kool-aider, but do not think that the disparaging comments against O are entirely fair or warranted.

It depends on what you are looking for in a cruise.

Az definitely has a distinct advantage that it has the complimentary (reduced-price) wines, the Mosaic cafe, and the later departure itineraries, but overall the cuisine is better on O.

On Az, the first two nights at the MDR/GDR were great but after that the quality just seemed to sink. To us, the only dining on Az that is comparable to O's equivalent is Aqualina, and we feel Aqualina is better than O's Toscana. Prime C was mediocre.

The bedding is far superior on O than on Az.

We did find that the captain rarely is present on O as well, but we don't really cruise to chum with the captain (for us, it's the ports, the food, and the beds) so this doesn't matter to us.

Although they are comparable enough to say that the choice should be based on itinerary, all things being equal we would choose O even if it were slightly more expensive.

i enjoyed the last few posts reading about how peopel perfere O to A..

i like seeing the captain daily all over the ship. I like seeing top officers on the ship and they know me by name.

i have only sailed journey so far - i use to not love prime C but with the new menu i eat there the most and anywhere else second.

i love the late or overnights in port -feel rushed on other lines to come back to the ship.

This cruise lines is my second home....

Azamara is destination driven and Oceania is trying to be luxury ... They both are moving in different directions

funny i will destination any day. late nights in port, great captains that you see daily. great food and fun people who work there.

plus lots more

Toronto, based on my one experience on Oceania and the reasons I selected a future Azamara cruise, your analysis seems as accurate as it is succinct.

Regarding service on Oceania, keep in mind that Oceania has recently expanded by bringing on line two 1,250 passenger ships, though leasing one smaller ship, for an increase in passenger capacity from roughly 2,100 to 3,900. I suspect there have been some growing pains.

And what's wrong with a little bit of luxury periodically? When I/we chose Azamara in 2010 for our Med. cruise, I had several small demands. One was that the ship stop at Santorini - I had to see Santorini before I died (I'm young, by the way). No big deal, I guess all cruise ships stop at Santorini, but we were there for a very long, relaxed day. Very nice perk. Boarding the ship, being handed a glass of sparkling wine with a very real, warm hello in the understated beauty of the reception area was a very nice "wow" to a first time cruiser. It is really a very beautiful ship, and I understand that we will be getting significantly more "wow" following the re-fit. The Azamara destinations seem to be wonderful, but more on that in a moment. My disappointments with Azamara, "luxury" wise: The dinner menus are highly American taste oriented, perhaps that is true of most cruise lines, I don't know, and really cannot comment because I haven't cruised very much. Personally, I would love to see a French dining flair or more emphasis on the local regional cooking. It is my understanding that Oceania provides that with Jacques Pepin indirectly ruling the kitchen. As for time in port, well, at best it is a tease. A 4-6 hour landing gives a hoard of passengers just enough time to buy trinkets, snap some pictures, and spend some prolonged moments in an area. Az definitely does better in that regard, but still, you cannot get more than a feel for the locale with a half day trip. I've "been" to Paris 4 times, each about 6-10 hours. I think it is the most magnificent city I've ever visited, and I've even been to the Louvre twice (I guess I am entitled to say "I've Done the Louvre"). But I cannot say that I've traveled to Paris, because I haven't. So destination wise, AZ is indeed fantastic, but in my book, improve on what you've already got - a bit more sea time to enjoy the amenities of the ship and the passengers, without having to engage in the frenetic rush at the ports might be in order. Actually, I will be getting that wish with our next cruise - Scandinavia-Iceland next year. Definitely more sea time, and lots of time in and around Iceland. The Azamara ships are rated 5½*, Oceania 6*. This travel maven thinks that haggling over ½* is a silly undertaking. Each line will have its advantages, each its disadvantages and both beat the hell out of commuting to work each morning. As long as Azamara doesn't assault me with the beef stronanoff from hell again (see one of my other postings), I'm sticking with them. Price, locations, amenities, size or passenger load, I think I'll do very well without that half star. But if possible, Mr. Lieber or Mr Pimentel, any chance of your getting a feeler put to Alaine Ducasse?

i prefered A MDR food over O MDR fod. did not like O's steak house at all .prefer Prime C.

i like the fact that on you see the captain daily- hotel director daily and many more officers.

i knew over 20 in crew on my last A cruise. I left O after 3 weeks and knew 2 people. that says it all.

there are always things on any ship that you like to see changed... but A wins hands down over the 5 other lines i have been on- from mass market to 500 people on ship ..

There is much more to "seeing" the captain and senior officers than just seeing them. At least as important is that they learn from interacting with passengers and also can short-circuit any issues or satisfy any desires that passengers might otherwise keep to themselves. Nothing improves the product more.

I'll give one instance, told to me by friends who cruised Journey in March. They were having lunch at the outdoor section of the buffet when the captain came by, going from table to table talking with passengers. The gentleman at the next table told the captain that everything was fine, but that he was disappointed he had to miss the tour of the engine control room. The captain asked his stateroom number, took out his portable phone, made a call, and told the passenger he'd be hearing from reception as to when he'd be able to tour the engine control room.

That's the kind of thing that delights passengers. It is not an infrequent occurrence on Azamara.

Edited by marinaro44

There is much more to "seeing" the captain and senior officers than just seeing them. At least as important is that they learn from interacting with passengers and also can short-circuit any issues or satisfy any desires that passengers might otherwise keep to themselves. Nothing improves the product more.

I'll give one instance, told to me by friends who cruised Journey in March. They were having lunch at the outdoor section of the buffet when the captain came by, going from table to table talking with passengers. The gentleman at the next table told the captain that everything was fine, but that he was disappointed he had to miss the tour of the engine control room. The captain asked his stateroom number, took out his portable phone, made a call, and told the passenger he'd be hearing from reception as to when he'd be able to tour the engine control room.

That's the kind of thing that delights passengers. It is not an infrequent occurrence on Azamara.

I could not agree more, when we were on the Journey we ordered the international cheese board and when it came out it was a real disappointment having american chesse slices on it..we made a comment to the our waiter that we were a little disappointed in the chesse board next thing we find the manager and the chef approach our table and apologized for us it wasn't anything really major but from that day on it was changed and they followed up with us to insure we were satisfied...I call that pure customer service at its best...

We had a joke to ourselves that we better not make anymore comments or we would have the captain at our table...Azamara would of been a one shot deal for us because we wanted to try something different then a mass market line but after our experience on the Journey we booked another cruise and what it came down to how great the entire staff was.

In my view, Oceania provides a more upmarket experience on the "R" class ships in areas such as ship decor, public room furnishings, stateroom amenities, bedding and linens. I'd also give O the nod for better menus and food selection. Service on O is polished and professional.

Azamara wins hands-down for providing a more welcoming experience. AZ doesn't take itself quite as seriously as O does, thereby creating a more relaxed and fun environment. It's obvious as soon as you step aboard that AZ has happy ships. Officers, staff and crew genuinely care that you have the best cruise possible and will do anything to make it happen. It's hard not to be positively affected by their enthusiasm.

I'd give a tie on destination immersion, at least at this point in time. Both AZ and O offer excellent port-intensive itineraries, including overnite stays. Both offer similar shore excursions in various ports and both have interesting guest lecturers. But I expect AZ will pull ahead in this area very soon!

Bottom line - in my view, both Azamara and Oceania provide fantastic cruise experiences. As with most things, which you'd prefer will depend on what's most important to you. We're happy to sail both.

This may be just one example. But concerning costs, here is a comparison for Baltic itineraries for two people with the two cruise lines. The price does not include fees and taxes. For an apples to apples comparison, it does not include airfare with Oceania. And the prices are for the least expensive veranda cabins.

Oceania has a 14 night cruise on Marina leaving Southhampton on June 11 and and ending in Stockholm on June 25. It includes three days in St. Petersburg and two sea days. The total costs is $11,452 or $818 per night.

Oceania has a 10 night cruise on Marina leaving Stockholm on June 25 and ending in Copenhagen on July 5. It includes three days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. The total cost is $8,208 or $821 per night.

Azamara has a 12 night cruise on Quest leaving Southampton on June 10 and ending in Stockholm on June 22. It includes two days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. The total cost is $9,200 or $766 per night.

Azamara has an 11 night cruise on Quest leaving Stockholm on June 22 and ending in Copenhagen on July 3. It includes two days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. This cruise includes a day in Kiel and a day in Lubeck as well as an 18 hour docking in Warnemunde for travel to Berlin. The total cost is $8,998 or $818 per night.

I would guess overall the fee differential between the two lines is in the five percent range.