Azamara vs. Oceania - my opinion

travelinjudy

This may be just one example. But concerning costs, here is a comparison for Baltic itineraries for two people with the two cruise lines. The price does not include fees and taxes. For an apples to apples comparison, it does not include airfare with Oceania. And the prices are for the least expensive veranda cabins.

Oceania has a 14 night cruise on Marina leaving Southhampton on June 11 and and ending in Stockholm on June 25. It includes three days in St. Petersburg and two sea days. The total costs is $11,452 or $818 per night.

Oceania has a 10 night cruise on Marina leaving Stockholm on June 25 and ending in Copenhagen on July 5. It includes three days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. The total cost is $8,208 or $821 per night.

Azamara has a 12 night cruise on Quest leaving Southampton on June 10 and ending in Stockholm on June 22. It includes two days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. The total cost is $9,200 or $766 per night.

Azamara has an 11 night cruise on Quest leaving Stockholm on June 22 and ending in Copenhagen on July 3. It includes two days in St. Petersburg and one sea day. This cruise includes a day in Kiel and a day in Lubeck as well as an 18 hour docking in Warnemunde for travel to Berlin. The total cost is $8,998 or $818 per night.

I would guess overall the fee differential between the two lines is in the five percent range.

3 days in St. Petersburg is priceless. I would choose that over 2 days

I've spent 6 days in St. Petersburg, Russia....it still wasn't enough time.

Anytime you can find 3 nights there..THAT is the cruise you should book

there is no other comparison.

Berlin is best done by land. That is one long brutal day on the train with very little time in the actual city.

There is much more to "seeing" the captain and senior officers than just seeing them. At least as important is that they learn from interacting with passengers and also can short-circuit any issues or satisfy any desires that passengers might otherwise keep to themselves. Nothing improves the product more.

I'll give one instance, told to me by friends who cruised Journey in March. They were having lunch at the outdoor section of the buffet when the captain came by, going from table to table talking with passengers. The gentleman at the next table told the captain that everything was fine, but that he was disappointed he had to miss the tour of the engine control room. The captain asked his stateroom number, took out his portable phone, made a call, and told the passenger he'd be hearing from reception as to when he'd be able to tour the engine control room.

That's the kind of thing that delights passengers. It is not an infrequent occurrence on Azamara.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had no experience of the service provided by Oceania but that provided by Az. is such that I'm reluctant to step out of my comfort zone

Your example shows the uniqueness that makes the Quest and the Journey so special. You'll find that the officers alway carry a notebook in their pockets; ready not only to take a note any concerns of guests but also to respond to those concerns. We mentioned to Ryszard, Hotel Director that we thought that cushions should be available on balconies. Within an hour there were cushions on our balcony. Talking to Ryszard at breakfast I mentioned that every morning I walked the deck to try to reduce my glucose levels and he immediately offered to join me.

If only Az. could bottle and market this friendliness and warmth elixir that its staff provide, could mean lot less troubles in the world

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Paul Bernard,

Interesting point. I made the same comment a few days ago, wondering how much Oceania is spending on marketing. It seems I receive an Oceania item in the mail, like every week or two... and I've never sailed with them ! Their budget must be mind blowing, and it certainly seems like overkill to me. One would think they could put a big chunk of that budget to better use.

If you had tripled your capacity in two years, you would boost your marketing budget, too. I can't see that is to be held against them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had no experience of the service provided by Oceania but that provided by Az. is such that I'm reluctant to step out of my comfort zone

Your example shows the uniqueness that makes the Quest and the Journey so special. You'll find that the officers alway carry a notebook in their pockets; ready not only to take a note any concerns of guests but also to respond to those concerns. We mentioned to Ryszard, Hotel Director that we thought that cushions should be available on balconies. Within an hour there were cushions on our balcony. Talking to Ryszard at breakfast I mentioned that every morning I walked the deck to try to reduce my glucose levels and he immediately offered to join me.

If only Az. could bottle and market this friendliness and warmth elixir that its staff provide, could mean lot less troubles in the world

All the comments are so interesting. I can't wait to board the Journey on the 26th of this month and see for myself

All the comments are so interesting. I can't wait to board the Journey on the 26th of this month and see for myself

We have never done O so I really can't make any comparison. However I can say we have always been lown away by Azamara. We love Celebrity, the service and food, etc. however Azamara does go one step beyond. It is like coming home every time we board. It is amazing to us that the crew remembers us by name from one cruise to another, ot matter how far apart. They ALL go that extra step to ensure that all onthe guests have a incredible experience.

All of the stories above ring true. The Captain and all down do their best to ensure that each and every guest receive first class service. For this reason, we will probably never try O or any other line. We are loyal to Azamara and Celebrity !!!!!

We have never done O so I really can't make any comparison. However I can say we have always been lown away by Azamara. We love Celebrity, the service and food, etc. however Azamara does go one step beyond. It is like coming home every time we board. It is amazing to us that the crew remembers us by name from one cruise to another, ot matter how far apart. They ALL go that extra step to ensure that all onthe guests have a incredible experience.

All of the stories above ring true. The Captain and all down do their best to ensure that each and every guest receive first class service. For this reason, we will probably never try O or any other line. We are loyal to Azamara and Celebrity !!!!!

I'm hoping after our first Azamara we feel the same ...already love Celebrity :)

WONERFUL COMPARISON BUT ? ? ?

We noticed in your signature you have 2 more sailings with Oceania. Why would you still sail with them after such pronounced comments, feelings, and opinions?:confused:

Upcoming cruises:

Oceania Regatta - TA -Lisbon to New York-9-11-12

Oceania Marina - Rome to Rio - 11-22-12

We recently took 2 cruises withing a few weeks of each other--one on the Oceania Regatta and one on the Azamara Journey. We had a Penthouse Suite on "O" and a Club Continent Suite on "A"--so esentially the same thing, and were able to compare the suites, the service and food on both ships. Here's what we found:

The suites: The suite on Azamara was MUCH nicer than the one on Oceania.

When we walked in we were struck by how much nicer it was. The way it was laid out, the furnishings, and the storage were clearly of a higher quality.

The service: Although the service on Oceania was good, it often gave a feeling of superficial friendliness, and at times, very rushed. Several times our plates were attempted to be picked up before we had even finished the food on them. And the concierge on Oceania gave a passenger the "not my job" response when she asked for help with something she had booked independently. Our butler on Oceania was satisfactory. Our butler on Azamara, Soovia, was AZAMAZING, and couldn't do enough for us. The service on Azamara in general was fantastic.

The food: The food on the Regatta was very mediocre, with some of being quite tasteless or else way too salty. And many of the salad offerings were

unimaginative. Had an experience in Polo with food that was way undercooked and almost inedible. They tried to make up for it on another night, however. All in all, I got pretty bored with the food, although the presentation was very nice.

On Azamara, the food and presentation were wonderful. Some very creative offerings, and the food in both specialty restaurants was outstanding. The soups were not overly salty, either. There were many wonderful offerings, and I never got bored with the food--as witnessed by my weight gain! Suffice it to say I loved the food on Azamara

In addition, there are so many differences on Azamara that make them outshine Oceania and make me an Azamara cheerleader. As stated on numerous postings numerous times, the staff on board is absolutely outstanding and they can't do enough for you. That isn't the attitude on Oceania. Oceania seems to take their passengers for granted.

In summary, IMHO, there is no comparison between the two cruise lines--Azamara is far superior. :D

I agree with your summary of the two but can not agree about the food. But, again the one running the galley/food service makes all the difference in the world. It varies from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary.

We recently took 2 cruises withing a few weeks of each other--one on the Oceania Regatta and one on the Azamara Journey. We had a Penthouse Suite on "O" and a Club Continent Suite on "A"--so esentially the same thing, and were able to compare the suites, the service and food on both ships. Here's what we found:

The suites: The suite on Azamara was MUCH nicer than the one on Oceania.

When we walked in we were struck by how much nicer it was. The way it was laid out, the furnishings, and the storage were clearly of a higher quality.

The service: Although the service on Oceania was good, it often gave a feeling of superficial friendliness, and at times, very rushed. Several times our plates were attempted to be picked up before we had even finished the food on them. And the concierge on Oceania gave a passenger the "not my job" response when she asked for help with something she had booked independently. Our butler on Oceania was satisfactory. Our butler on Azamara, Soovia, was AZAMAZING, and couldn't do enough for us. The service on Azamara in general was fantastic.

The food: The food on the Regatta was very mediocre, with some of being quite tasteless or else way too salty. And many of the salad offerings were

unimaginative. Had an experience in Polo with food that was way undercooked and almost inedible. They tried to make up for it on another night, however. All in all, I got pretty bored with the food, although the presentation was very nice.

On Azamara, the food and presentation were wonderful. Some very creative offerings, and the food in both specialty restaurants was outstanding. The soups were not overly salty, either. There were many wonderful offerings, and I never got bored with the food--as witnessed by my weight gain! Suffice it to say I loved the food on Azamara

In addition, there are so many differences on Azamara that make them outshine Oceania and make me an Azamara cheerleader. As stated on numerous postings numerous times, the staff on board is absolutely outstanding and they can't do enough for you. That isn't the attitude on Oceania. Oceania seems to take their passengers for granted.

In summary, IMHO, there is no comparison between the two cruise lines--Azamara is far superior. :D

Hello Judy, hope your last Journey cruise in April was good, except for the rought weather. Denise is back to normal after hip replacement. We have booked the Quest on 3/14/13 from Miami to Seville, Spain, Check it out and see if you want to come along.:cool:

WONERFUL COMPARISON BUT ? ? ?

We noticed in your signature you have 2 more sailings with Oceania. Why would you still sail with them after such pronounced comments, feelings, and opinions?:confused:

Upcoming cruises:

Oceania Regatta - TA -Lisbon to New York-9-11-12

Oceania Marina - Rome to Rio - 11-22-12

I agree with your summary of the two but can not agree about the food. But, again the one running the galley/food service makes all the difference in the world. It varies from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary.

To answer your question, we are keeping the TA Lisbon to NY because my family is joining us in Lisbon before the cruise and the itinerary is one we wanted to try, although we know the cruise experience won't match Azamara.

As for the Rome to Rio, Tom wanted to try the Marina before we give up on Oceania, so I agreed. This was also booked before our last cruise on O.

These 2 "O" cruises will most likely be our final ones.

Hello Judy, hope your last Journey cruise in April was good, except for the rought weather. Denise is back to normal after hip replacement. We have booked the Quest on 3/14/13 from Miami to Seville, Spain, Check it out and see if you want to come along.:cool:

Hi,

Thanks for the invite--to be honest, I've been considering going on that one as a single again. We haven't booked any cruises for next year yet. Taking a breather, and thinking about some river cruises. But don't count me out yet!

It would be fun to sail with you again.:)

MAYBE THEY WILL STEP UP ! ! !

To answer your question, we are keeping the TA Lisbon to NY because my family is joining us in Lisbon before the cruise and the itinerary is one we wanted to try, although we know the cruise experience won't match Azamara.

As for the Rome to Rio, Tom wanted to try the Marina before we give up on Oceania, so I agreed. This was also booked before our last cruise on O.

These 2 "O" cruises will most likely be our final ones.

Hopefully, Oceania will get the message and step up to the Plate. Personally, I Love Azamazing Azamara but there is plenty of room for Good competition. With the hardware Oceania Has both big and small they can still be advantageous with a choice selection of varied Itineraries.:rolleyes:

Julie and Dick:cool:

We are going on the Oceania Marina in Sept for 2 weeks. Thinking about Azamara for next year since we need 2 cabins and aZAMARA does not make you pay double occupancy for each.

Did you join a group for a cocktail party arranged through others on your cruise? If so, how and who set it up?

I tried the marina.. found i missed Azamara.. The dance club on marina was a bit busier at night.. buti missed being in the coffee lounge on A at night.

felt the food was over rated and service not as good on O.

i also know i saw and spoke to more officers on A daily compared to O.

Thirty-plus years in sales, marketing, and customer support have taught me that the best way to ensure delighted customers is to have executive management interact with them as much as possible. Doing such is why so many of us are hooked on Azamara. These are cruise ships with staterooms, suites, dining rooms, and entertainment, not buses that simply take you from one place to another.

I really do not understand what the big thing is about seeing and talking to officers. I prefer that they be concentrating on sailing the ship than being social with the passengers.

I'm curious - have you sailed on Azamara yet ? If not, it's tough to explain, as must be experienced firsthand for a better appreciation of what Azamara is all about. Their Officer & Crew interaction with Guests, along with outstanding service and attention to detail, are a strong selling point, and amongst the many reasons why past guests are incredibly loyal to their brand.

Based on past comments, I have to believe the percentage of repeat Azamara Guests is extremely high, and it's due to the onboard experience.

Thirty-plus years in sales, marketing, and customer support have taught me that the best way to ensure delighted customers is to have executive management interact with them as much as possible. Doing such is why so many of us are hooked on Azamara. These are cruise ships with staterooms, suites, dining rooms, and entertainment, not buses that simply take you from one place to another.

Well said Marinaro. I have 33 years of senior management, sales, and consumer based experience, and I couldn't agree more.