Purchase mattress

fb0075

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned, we purchased the mattress but it was damaged upon arrival and have been frustrated with them ---

They have not done anything that they said they would do and I have been trying to get a REFUND for awhile--it has been close to 3 months and this is still ongoing--waiting on AMEX to see if they will help--

Still waiting on GLOBAL to do the right thing!

FRANK

As I mentioned, we purchased the mattress but it was damaged upon arrival and have been frustrated with them ---

They have not done anything that they said they would do and I have been trying to get a REFUND for awhile--it has been close to 3 months and this is still ongoing--waiting on AMEX to see if they will help--

Still waiting on GLOBAL to do the right thing! FRANK

Frank-

Sad to know of your hassles. Bet you are not sleeping well at all! After reading of your experience 2+ months ago, we decided to buy from a local furniture store, which in the past has been receptive to customer service issues. They carry Shiftman mattresses, and they felt pretty nice in the store! Made in NJ, some by machine (we liked the top of the line of those), more expensive ones by hand. They can be flipped to increase comfort, longevity; a rarity these days. We need to get new carpeting first, and then will replace mattress next yr.

Twenty yrs ago when I worked for a large corporation, they used Global a lot, and Global took good care of this major account. But for individuals and small stuff, they had a poor reputation. Just my 'historical' experience & opinion.

I'm sure your wife (?) recognizes it was the thoughtful intent of your gift, that counts. Hope things get straightened out for you. Too bad - the mattresses on Oceania are very comfy, and made us realize it was time to replace ours.

• 1 year later...

I purchased an Oceania tranquility mattress from Global Resources in Miami Florida. The mattress is well made and extremely comfortable. Farah helped me and was willing to answer all my questions. She and the mattress are A plus.

We bought the king size prestige mattress from Global and we love it. Have not slept so well in years. Global was great to deal with, we even had them ship one to our daughter in N.C. and it arrived in days after purchase.

Somewhat interested in purchasing one of these. Certainly was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on while on Marina recently!! Anyone getting any discount of any kind? Also, has anyone had a warranty claim, or more specifically: any issues with the "canoe effect" after sleeping on the Tranquility for a year or so? With that gel/water combo on the topper, that effect might be significantly reduced.

Also, I'm concerned with bornfree's experience. If so, that may indicate that the one on the ship was somewhat more "worn in" and therefore became a bit softer, which is just what I wouldn't want after spending three grand for one.

Anyone getting any discount of any kind?

We got a 25% discount on the cost of our CA King. This discount was in place during January (plus 4 free pillows). You can always ask to see if they will offer you one; what have you got to lose?

However, I advise NOT asking if they can also do better on the delivery price. I ended up having to help move the mattress off the truck and all the way up our driveway and into the house because there was only one guy on the delivery truck (which was huge, so it couldn't fit up our driveway (yes, I had explained our driveway to the delivery company)). So I'm guessing they went with a cheaper company when I asked about the delivery price.

Love the bed; no more sore back when I wake up.

Ann

Edited by azevedan

Fuzzy, I think the difference between the ship's mattress as well as the show room mattress is the material that makes up the "foam" in the upper padding, the part that zips on and off.

On the ship, as well as the show room, the material was sort of an egg crate foam. On the bed they delivered to me, the material was more of a gel substance, therefore not quite as soft.

I guess I could have asked for a replacement egg crate material, but it wasn't necessary. By the time morning comes, I can't tell the difference. I think it softens up with the night's weight and body heat.

Thanks for everyone's help.

As previous posts show, the sole distributor for the U.S. is

http://www.globalresourceregistry.com

I called and got some great, pertinent information if anyone else is interested:

A very helpful lady, Farah, was quick to answer questions and not "sell" something. They make maybe half a dozen mattresses, all in Italy, from an ancient company. Almost all of their mattresses are exclusive to cruise lines and their customers. The Prestige model is unique to Oceania (and Regent), and are used on all Oceania and Regent ships, is is VERY particular about the consistency and quality of the beds. If a particular bed on board is even questionable, they change it out. Originally, Oceania specified exactly the "feel" and longevity of the mattress, and approved it ---- after Mattermoll tweaked the specs to Oceania's strict requirements. One of my questions related to any changes that may have been made to the mattress or it's contents since it's inception years ago, and the answer is no. So, any mattress from any Oceania/Regent ship should feel the same. That exact same mattress is the one shipped from Global Resource if you were to order one. They do not make various versions (other than box spring height, which is custom to your spec). You order a Prestige, it will be exactly the same as what's on the ship. Although ships change them out "every 4-6 years", the specs haven't been changed since day one. Oceania and Regent insist on consistency.

You may be aware that the top "topper", which in my opinion, really is a big part of the comfort of this bed is unique only to the Prestige. It is zipped in to the top of the mattress. The topper itself can not be purchased separately and put on your existing mattress, unless you have previously purchased a Prestige. These toppers last a very long time, but it's very comforting to me that if, down the road, you want to purchase one because something's "wrong" with your topper, at least you can -- without having to necessarily purchase the entire mattress. Farah indicated that they have only done this a couple of times, if that.... (Perhaps Oceania does occasionally change out their toppers as beds age, but that's just my presumption).

In their showroom in Miami, if people originally coming in from other cruise lines looking for their particular mattress from that line end up trying to lie on the Prestige, the difference they feel generally is significant -- making the Prestige the very best mattress by popularity.

So, pricey, but very comfy, and I believe good value -- and I'm hopeful that it may be the last bed I ever buy. I can't find anyone on line here who has ever had a problem with the mattress itself. Delivery issues generally can be avoided by paying for white glove service (albeit at an upcharge of $150). Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the willingness of the UPS guy or gal.

Hope that helps somebody out there. ;)

FuzzyAllOver,

I'm surprised you were told that the same mattress is used on both Regent and Oceania ships. The Oceania website claims that it's "Prestige Tranquility" beds are "unique" and are not found on any other ship. Regent's website claims that they have their "exclusive Suite Slumber Bed®." The Oceania bed is the most comfortable I've ever slept on. Regent's mattresses used to be very comfortable but a few years ago they replaced them with mattresses that were much too firm for my tastes. Since then, we always request that an egg shell crate pad be placed on top of our mattress when we sail on Regent. If Regent is now using the same mattress as Oceania, we can do without the egg shell crate, but supposedly the mattresses are different.

Has anyone that cruises both lines noticed a difference in the feel of the mattresses?

Thanks for the info, Jouneyfan. I'm surprised at that information, but perhaps Oceania and/or Regent at some time changed their regimen for mattresses. It's possible that I misunderstood Farah on this, but I don't believe so. Maybe I'll email her and get clarification. If I do, I'll report back here.

Just checked out the info for Regent. It is possible that Regent still has some staterooms that has a previous mattress called "Dreamy" prior to converting to Tranquility Prestige. However, this is not for certain, as the supplier has no direct knowledge. She just knows that all of the mattresses that Regent and Oceania order are now the Prestige.

As for the post that indicated a difference in the show room mattress and that on the ship, our recent trip on Marina did not have the egg patterned topper, but the gel/water topper, which we loved. That's the one that is specific to the Prestige. Not sure how an egg pattern showed up, but for all I know, it's entirely possible that an older version of a mattress may exist somewhere out there on Oceania or Regent. But with Oceania's recent ships and renovations, I doubt that any on Oceania may be left-overs.

If anyone wants to get specifics on any of this, and not necessarily trust a third party, I'm certain Farah would be happy to supply answers and clarifications. Her direct line is 305-751-5255. We certainly felt that that was very important to us before spending three grand for a mattress and we certainly wanted to ensure that the one ordered was, in fact, exactly like what we slept on. (That's also why we "took apart" the zippered topper to look at it prior to disembarking). :p

• 6 months later...
Just checked out the info for Regent. It is possible that Regent still has some staterooms that has a previous mattress called "Dreamy" prior to converting to Tranquility Prestige. However, this is not for certain, as the supplier has no direct knowledge. She just knows that all of the mattresses that Regent and Oceania order are now the Prestige.

As for the post that indicated a difference in the show room mattress and that on the ship, our recent trip on Marina did not have the egg patterned topper, but the gel/water topper, which we loved. That's the one that is specific to the Prestige. Not sure how an egg pattern showed up, but for all I know, it's entirely possible that an older version of a mattress may exist somewhere out there on Oceania or Regent. But with Oceania's recent ships and renovations, I doubt that any on Oceania may be left-overs.

If anyone wants to get specifics on any of this, and not necessarily trust a third party, I'm certain Farah would be happy to supply answers and clarifications. Her direct line is 305-751-5255. We certainly felt that that was very important to us before spending three grand for a mattress and we certainly wanted to ensure that the one ordered was, in fact, exactly like what we slept on. (That's also why we "took apart" the zippered topper to look at it prior to disembarking). :p

Hi Gang. Hope someone is still looking at this thread. We were on the Insignia 2 weeks ago and I loved the pillow. I did get the flyer for buying a mattress and pillows in my cabin. when googling the company it seems to me that Matermoll Srl supplies to most of the cruise lines but it could be at different levels. I only see listed a King watergel pillow at $129 and on the flyer it was described as queen at $129. I tried and tried to get from the cabin stewardess and her supervisor and supposedly the head housekeeper but none knew which pillow it was nor the size in the staterooms. Does anybody out there have experience with buying the pillows and which of the pillows do you buy to get the Oceania "feel"? Thanks. I really loved that pillow and the bed too! Been hunting for a good pillow for several years (and pillows) now.

I only see listed a King watergel pillow at $129 and on the flyer it was described as queen at $129.

The website has a King so maybe that is the one on the flyer

http://www.oceaniabedcollection.com/pillows.html

The other models have King & queen size but not the watergel

I like my Obus form pillow but the O ones are nice too

Edited by LHT28

• 1 year later...

My girlfriend and I were on two Princess cruises and loved the mattresses. We contacted Princess and they told us their mattresses come from Global Resource Registry in Miami, made by an Italian company. Since we live in SE Florida, we took a ride to their showroom in Miami and looked at all of their mattresses. We selected one and it was delivered in just a few days.

After a short time we experienced a problem, we called the company and the problem was rectified immediately. I cannot say enough good things about this company, and, would recommend them to my closest friends!

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just had to come back and report that we bought the Matermoll Tranquility/Prestige mattress from Global Source Registry in Miami. Farah was amazing to work with. The mattress was just delivered in perfect condition by two very nice men. It is heavenly! I have only had time for a quick rest on it so far but it is absolutely exactly as amazing as I remember it from our 7 nights in the Haven on Breakaway. I am thrilled!

I have a friend who did purchase the Oceania mattress. She called Oceania and spoke to customer service, I believe. They referred her to a store in Florida that sells them and she ordered one. It arrived about a week to 10 days later. She loves it!

I bought the pillow from the flyer on the desk of Insignia. Loved the pillow -- but hated the heavy thing that I bought for over $100. Not the same in my opinion for the pillows. Good to prop up the feet though:D