Question about music on Eclipse

cruise kipie

Hello,

My husband and I will sail in December on the Celebrity Eclipse. Now we read a lot of complaints about loud music all over this ship in a other topic on this website. We are young people (31 and 33) but we don't like loud music and I have chronic ear problems.

My questions are:

1) are there public areas on this ship without (loud) music? (I hope the thalassotherapy pool)

2) is there loud music in the specialty restaurants?(because we already booked diners in the three specialty restaurants).

I hope someone can help me, because for me this is a serious problem. I already sent a email to Celebrity Cruises guest relations, but no answer yet.

Thank you very much in advance.

We were on Eclipse in April. We mostly ate in Blu, but never heard loud music coming from the other restaurants, which were in the same area. Nice piano music or maybe a small quartet playing in the bar.

The TP area is quiet-when doors open you can hear music from the outside pool, but faintly. At night in the main foyer they do have music-big band, some light rock that can get loud, but typically you are just passing by. I believe Wednesday night is the evening they do a performance in the main foyer-nice to watch but very loud.

We've just returned from a TA on the Eclipse, and "loud music" was not a problem. In fact, this was our first cruise with X, and one of the things we loved about the ship was the fact that there were so many places just to sit quietly. (I suspect a TA was a bit more sedate than some other cruises might be, but I can only answer as to what I know. :))

As noted above, the Grand Foyer is used for musical entertainment at night, and this can indeed be loud, but you can't hear it in the cabins. (We were very near the main elevator bank, and never heard a peep of noise.)

We ate in two of the three specialty restaurants, and I don't recall loud music being a problem in either of them.

BTW, there is no T-pool on the Eclipse.

We loved the Eclipse! Have a great cruise!

Well the music was an issue on TA on baord Silhouette a few days ago. I never , ever heard so many complains about that fact on board. Some went to QR to complain. There is music in the ocean view cafe- not loud but 14 days all around the clock the same songs in random play. There is not need for music there at all. Some evenings the Martini Bar was avoided from our group due to the blarring music.

Nothing against the live entertainment in the Foyer- very nice indeed, something for everyone I suppose. The claissic quartet always a pleasure to hear- but when in Cafe all Bacio- my most favorite place, as soon as the Classic Quartet was done the backgournd music set in in full force. I would say a quite place would be Michael´s Club- the Hideaway or Solstice Deck ( noise possible from Pool Deck though) Michael´s is a bit laid back and was totaly underused, always emphty when we walked by.

Michael

The loud music is a major problem for me. DH is willing to cruise on Celebrity again and thinks we can find places for quiet.

I think the loud music is a major negative.

We find there is quiet in our cabin, in the relaxation room, in the sky lounge during the day, in the empty CellarMasters and Quasar in the evening, and the Ensemble Lounge is relatively quiet compared to the blast coming from the Grand Foyer.

Even the sorry excuse for a promenade on S-Class ships is a place to get away from the sound system.

We have been in the buffet at night and found the music exceptionally loud.

However, we might skip evening in the enclosed spaces on S-Class and just go to our cabin early after a long day in ports or relax under the stars in the open spaces of Lido (Pool Deck) for our next "experience".

We have an exceptional itinerary going forward, no loyalty to Celebrity, and a can do attitude.

Inspite of so many other options...(ships, land vacations, and fun things to do at home)...... DH favors adjusting and booking for the itinerary we want. I keep lurking and posting with hope that I can find answers for my own future cruise satisfaction.

Well said USVI - the sorry excuse for a prommenade on S- Class, but anyway a quite place!

I got a nice letter from Captains Club as an answer for my complain mail about the noise issue! Here it is:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. As an Elite member with our Captain’s Club, you are important to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist with your concerns.

While we are pleased to read your satisfaction with the service and staff you receive from Celebrity Cruises, I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction caused from the intense volume of the music throughout the ship. Furthermore, we regret you were unable to enjoy having conversations in the Martini Bar and Oceanview Café due to the distraction created from the music and repetitive selection. We understand how important it is to provide a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere and remain sorry for the displeasure you encountered with this aspect of your time with us. Your feedback has been submitted into a database, which is regularly published to our operational teams for review. I assure you that we do our best to make improvements in the areas where our guests feel they are most needed. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention.

, we value your continued loyalty with us. We truly hope to have another chance of welcoming you back onboard one of our ships in the near future.

So let´s cross fingers it get´s better!

Michael

What the hell is Celebrity thinking with the music? There has been more complaints about loud music than anything else lately, yet they seem to be doing nothing about it. Add it to a database? Seriously? I get that they're trying to attract a different crowd, but you can't afford to annoy your current clients like they seem to be doing...makes no sense whatsoever.

I am sure they do something in the near future, I will find out when sailing Eclipse in December!

I found the letter very well stated and very personal, nothing pre aranged!

So I still trust X to be loyal- customer- friendly.

Michael

Hello,

My husband and I will sail in December on the Celebrity Eclipse. Now we read a lot of complaints about loud music all over this ship in a other topic on this website. We are young people (31 and 33) but we don't like loud music and I have chronic ear problems.

My questions are:

1) are there public areas on this ship without (loud) music? (I hope the thalassotherapy pool)

2) is there loud music in the specialty restaurants?(because we already booked diners in the three specialty restaurants).

I hope someone can help me, because for me this is a serious problem. I already sent a email to Celebrity Cruises guest relations, but no answer yet.

I am sure they do something in the near future, I will find out when sailing Eclipse in December!

I found the letter very well stated and very personal, nothing pre aranged!

So I still trust X to be loyal- customer- friendly.

Michael

cruise kipie & MIchael

I am sure that, as a large group, our Roll Call can do something to have the music turned down if it becomes a problem on our cruise. Perhaps you should post something on the Roll Call to gain a consensus before we sail?

Sue

I have also found Celebrity ships to be increasingly loud due to various music all over the ship. The band at the pool is always loud. The music in the foyer on S class is blaring to say the least. (not that the performers are necessarily not good or enjoyable - but they are loud). Just about any venue you go to has at least some kind of music no matter the time of day (not always loud, but almost always music - everywhere). I am thankful that I now book balconies because I used to be able to go around the ship during the day and find quiet places to read my book and relax. No more. Now I have to go to my balcony for that quiet place. There are a very, very few quiet places but most have music of some sort. Maybe Celebrity is trying to attact a younger crowd and think younger people can't live without noise. Not so sure that is true.

Hello,

My questions are:

I can't speak specifically for the Eclipse, but I can tell you my experience on the Infinity last month and what I was told is "company policy" regarding music. We are comparatively young too, the group of 4 I was a part of ranges from ages 35 to 38.

There was annoying (meaning selection) music all over the ship, but the only place it was intolerably loud for us was in the Martini Bar, which is ostensibly where they are trying to attract us young 'uns as a demographic... Instead it drove us away. When I complained about it, I was informed by one of the senior bar managers that the music selection and volume are company policy and standardized for all ships.

At the pool, the music was only intolerably loud on the aft end which is where all the speakers were. We solved that by sitting forward, which also happened to be by the bar, thus killing two birds with one stone.

The music in the Solarium where the thalassotherapy pool was is both annoying (it's creepy really) and annoyingly loud, enough so that we avoided it most of the cruise. It wasn't so loud as to be intolerable (meaning we could still carry on a conversation without shouting), but the combination of the volume and selection was enough to keep me from wanting to be there. I noticed there were alway a lot of empty loungers in there when there was an all out chair hog battle royal going on the pool deck for a lounger in the shade. I assumed others were avoiding the Solarium for the same reasons as me.

I wrote to Captains Club over a week ago about these issues and have yet to receive any sort of response. Apparently being a Select Member doesn't warrant the same response as an Elite.

Quiet places I noticed were Cellar Masters and... um Cellar Masters. I don't think they played any music in there at all. I never went in Michaels Club because it seemed to have some kind of special function going on anytime I happened by and might have been lured in.

We have two future bookings on Celebrity that are up in the air solely over the musical challenges they appear to be having. I'll monitor these boards and if/when I see they address the problem, we will stick with these bookings. If final payment comes before I see the problem addressed, we will likely cancel.

I hope this helps.

Well said USVI - the sorry excuse for a prommenade on S- Class, but anyway a quite place!

I got a nice letter from Captains Club as an answer for my complain mail about the noise issue! Here it is:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. As an Elite member with our Captain’s Club, you are important to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist with your concerns.

While we are pleased to read your satisfaction with the service and staff you receive from Celebrity Cruises, I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction caused from the intense volume of the music throughout the ship. Furthermore, we regret you were unable to enjoy having conversations in the Martini Bar and Oceanview Café due to the distraction created from the music and repetitive selection. We understand how important it is to provide a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere and remain sorry for the displeasure you encountered with this aspect of your time with us. Your feedback has been submitted into a database, which is regularly published to our operational teams for review. I assure you that we do our best to make improvements in the areas where our guests feel they are most needed. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention.

, we value your continued loyalty with us. We truly hope to have another chance of welcoming you back onboard one of our ships in the near future.

So let´s cross fingers it get´s better!

Michael

Sorry but I don't think much of the "bread and butter" form letter. Celebrity has had notice that many of the posters here don't like the LOUD music and want some volume control and/or alternate places to sit quietly for an evening drink.

We've been on approx 30 cruises, 8 with Celebrity and the volume in the Theaters is always a big issue. There is some reason the cruiselines choose to assault me with decibels. IMHO, they don't care.

I too hope that there is good news forthcoming in the near future. We are looking at cruises on the Eclipse and the Reflection. If something isn't done to keep the Grand Foyer/Atrium BLAST from our ears before long, it leaves us little choice but to choose a different vacation.

Thank you for posting your letter from Celebrity, like the questionnaires, it's just something to settle the complaints for a while.

Maris

We were on the Silhouette (sister ship) in February and experienced annoying music in the MDR. Head Water agreed, but said that it was out of their control. Surely someone from headquarters needs to pay attention to this problem.

On our last Eclipse cruise, the loud music was the Martin Bar only - it was aimed at younger cruisers on the ship

If you sit in Cellar Masters, it isn't loud in there and when they do a party around the central area, it gets busy and loud there too but it's short lived

We love the martini bar - music volume included and they are very accommodating and will change the music being played

On our Eclipse cruise in February, both my DH and I felt like the music outside was waaaay too loud! We placed our towels down at 11am in the shady area, and at noon the band started. WOW! :eek: We are sort of young (early 40s), into rock music, and yet it was still too loud for us. We retreated to the lawn area as often as we could for a quiet spot. It's beautiful there and quiet!

...and they are very accommodating and will change the music being played

It's a constant loop of the same 15 or so songs. They don't have the ability to change it. I'm not sure how you can make this statement.

Being in my mid 30's now, I really like the Martini Bar. In fact it's my favorite bar. Allegedly, I am the "younger cruiser" they are aiming for. I don't care for the music, but that is somewhat irrelevant. More importantly the volume is unacceptable for anyone who is with more than one person because when you have to shout in someone's ear to converse with them, by definition you can't have a conversation with more than one person at a time. This completely defeats the purpose of a social venue. We can either all sit like lumps and watch the bartender show with music blasting in our ears, or we can have a real party if they turn it down just a few decibels.

A few years ago (maybe 5 or more), I would not have liked the Martini Bar because it would have been a little too upscale (meaning too expensive at $10 a drink) for me, music notwithstanding. I can't for the life of me figure out what demographic they are shooting for in this venue.

Somebody at Celebrity has screwed up in a big way and I desperately want them to fix it before I go elsewhere with my business.

As I see it, there many of us from the " younger" age group they want attract, who can not stand the blarring constant stupid music. We are fare from beeing with one foot in the grave but love to have nice and quite relaxed vacation. Cunard is my next choice, that is if on Eclipse the loud music is still an issue!

Michael

When I took my first Celebrity cruise in the early 1990's on the Horizon, they played "I Will Always Love YOU !!!!!!).

t was loud and non-stop at every port... Practically the only entertainment aboard ship. I don't think a few complaints will change the way Celebrity "thinks" there music today.

Maris

I have also found Celebrity ships to be increasingly loud due to various music all over the ship. The band at the pool is always loud. The music in the foyer on S class is blaring to say the least. (not that the performers are necessarily not good or enjoyable - but they are loud). Just about any venue you go to has at least some kind of music no matter the time of day (not always loud, but almost always music - everywhere). I am thankful that I now book balconies because I used to be able to go around the ship during the day and find quiet places to read my book and relax. No more. Now I have to go to my balcony for that quiet place. There are a very, very few quiet places but most have music of some sort. Maybe Celebrity is trying to attact a younger crowd and think younger people can't live without noise. Not so sure that is true.

Hi Phoenix Dream,

Can you please tell me what these few quiet places are?

As I see it, there many of us from the " younger" age group they want attract, who can not stand the blarring constant stupid music. We are fare from beeing with one foot in the grave but love to have nice and quite relaxed vacation. Cunard is my next choice, that is if on Eclipse the loud music is still an issue!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Exactly, I totally agree.

If on the Eclipse the loud music is still an issue, HAL is our first choice.

Best wishes,

Marjan and Vincent

We returned from the Eclipse TA last week and were pleasantly surprised to find that the music was not as loud as we had expected from recent comments. We spent a lot of time in the solarium and the noise level was quite acceptable. I cannot speak to the level around the pool because the weather was so cold we did not spend time there.

Sheila

Hi Marjan and Vincent,

just what I thought about too. Cunard or HAL. Beside a " quite cruise experience" I soo like a wrap around prommenade or at least a " real prommenade", Solstice Classes sorry excuse for a prommenade deck is a huge dissapointment. Other than that X does a great job in the food compartment and their service is oustanding good. Silhouette ( my last cruise ) is beautyfull ship though.

Michael

We also had some noise issues on our last cruises with the Equinox in November 11 and the Solstice TA in April 12 :

- annoying music in the relaxation room and too loud to relax. I asked to turn the volume down a bit, which was done for about 10 min. then it went up again.

- very loud music in the main Theatre, especially during production shows (we sat in the back wing)

- extremely loud band in the main foyer which made it impossible to go to Guest Relations to settle an issue or to have a conversation at the Martini Bar

- sometimes very loud music at outside Pool, however we don't complain about this, we just went to look for another place as we can accept that especially the younger guests might like it a bit rowdier sometimes. Similary I would not complain about the loud music in the Quasar.

However I wonder if the music in the Sky Lounge has to be that loud that it is impossible to have bits of conversation when going to the dance at night ?

We made once a remark in this vein to the Cruise Director Esperanza, who was very unresponsive and basically said "though" as she claimed that life music could not be made lower !!! (:D wonder why they then use all the amplifyers, etc.)

Believe me, I am used to very loud music from 2 teenage daughters, but even this was topped on the Solstice. It became so bad that my husband did not even want to go to the life performances nor to the Sky Lounge anymore.

I usually like music, but what is the point in going to the Martini Bar, Sky Lounge for a drink or dance with partner or friends if you can not even have some conversation together ? Are we supposed to sit there mute and just suffer through the loud music ?

Archived