Most Economical Way to get to New York

NoC1ue4me

Can you get a ride to and from the DC area?

If so, take Bolt Bus from the Green Belt intermodal to NYC and cab it from there. Total cost will be under $40 including the cab if you buy the bus tickets in advance.

DH and I are going on a NCL cruise out of NY in Dec 2012 - we live in Southern Maryland and are trying to figure out the most economical way to get to the Port -

Southern Maryland like past DC or over on the east bay side?

How far are you from Baltimore?

MegaBus is also quite inexpensive.

Well, I know almost nobody travels this way anymore, but a round trip ticket on a Greyhound bus for a 3 1/2 hour trip ranges from $60 for advance purchase to $151 for standard fare.

The bus has restrooms, wifi, plugins and are a really comfortable way to travel.

DH and I are going on a NCL cruise out of NY in Dec 2012 - we live in Southern Maryland and are trying to figure out the most economical way to get to the Port -

well there's the the typical:

drive yerself

then the :

mega bus thingies that charge fairly cheap rates

then:

Amtrak

and in order that's how we do it. Amtrak is never on time and can be just as expensive as flying. and the megabuses don't always have convenient schedules or drop off locations.

or just sail out of Baltimore.. heheheheh

I agree with what others have said, bus from DC to NYC is probably the cheapest, and typically MegaBus and Bolt are cheaper than Greyhound. You can usually find something for around $20, if you aren't too picky about times, etc. Amtrak would be a lot more expensive.

From St Marys /Lower Calvert Co Id guess driving will cost approximately $75-100 in gas and tolls (tolls are a real killer) and then parking is over $200 I thought I have read on here - so lets say thats $300 and VERY convenient.

Train- havent priced the New Carrolton - Port Authority run in a while- but last I looked it was under $200/person.

Flight- not convenient at all and probably more costly than train and further on the SoMd side- might as well drive- you're half way there by the time you drive to BWI.

Id rather get in my car and get home rather than hustle luggage from the ship to a train and then in to my car- or friend's car.

I have done this math over and over and decided to repeat ships in B-more rather than do NY traffic in and out on a weekend and pay all the extras it will require getting to the ship and parking. I do appreciate the desire to try new ships though- and if you've never "done" NY you can add hotel on one or both ends (another $400-500) and make an excursion out of it.

I know you asked more economical way- hopefully I gave some helpful info to help you decide.

Archived