Thoughts of cruising post Oasis

I did a cruise on the Oasis back in December 2011. We had cancelled a trip on the Celebrity Summit to the Southern Caribbean in order to experience what it was like to go on the world's biggest cruise ship. So we had realistic expectations of the itinerary - the ship was definitely the destination.

There were definitely things I liked about the Oasis - the better level of entertainment (the musical Hairspray, the late night comedy, etc.), more options for specialty restaurants (150 Central Park, Giovanni's Table), the innovative features (first time ever ziplining). However, the itinerary was lacking and 2 sea days at the end was too boring for my husband.

I just recently came off the Celebrity Equinox for a 10-day cruise to the Mediteranean (Greece, Italy and Turkey). The trip was phenomenal - so many sights and a lovely ship. the ship may not been as exciting as the Oasis, but it seems to better fit our style of cruising. We learned that we would definitely take more Celebrity cruises if the price and itinerary beat Royal Caribbean.

Being on this most recent cruise made me realize that I have no desire to jump back on the Oasis or Allure unless they can reach more ports. And I'm fine with that. As long as the service is great and the food is reasonable, I'm fine with crusing any ship on Royal or Celebrity.

Does anyone else feel this way? :)

Hey, Robin! Yes! Although I'm planning to go on Allure with my teens, DH and I are between Jewel or Adventure in late 2013 for the ports, and for more interesting aft balconies. But after Ecuador, and French Poynesia, we will definately be back for more Oasis class fun!:D

I loved Oasis ( except that it was so big I never did get to meet you and Ben:p) but I did mind that the ships had to port so far from the action and main centers, and all the balcony cabins are pretty much the same experience unless you upgrade to a grand suite or larger. I feel about Oasis and Allure like I do about WDW, it's a fun, magical, amazingly well run operation, but it's not where you go to see the world!

BTW- you FB photos are great! Are you posting a photo review on the X boards?

So glad you enjoyed the trip!

Being on this most recent cruise made me realize that I have no desire to jump back on the Oasis or Allure unless they can reach more ports. And I'm fine with that. As long as the service is great and the food is reasonable, I'm fine with crusing any ship on Royal or Celebrity.

Does anyone else feel this way? :)

No. Despite your so-called claims of a mundane itinerary, RCI (and the general masses) do not agree with you.

Ever heard of "Supply & Demand"?

Like any other product and service, RCI is still at the mercy of market forces. And right now, the public demand for Oasis class ships is still high. The hefty price to sail on her is a reflection of that demand.

And since there's no other class of ship in comparison (supply), the Oasis class continues to sail at a capacity that's profitable for RCI.

This is reassuring to me!

We did Allure last year, and Oasis the year before and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM.

This after years of smaller ships.

We're booked on Indy next year, for a itinerary we like, we was worried nothing would compare after Oasis/Allure.

I'm glad your cruise was awesome!

We enjoyed our Oasis and Allure cruises. We also have enjoyed our cruises since on Serenade, X Millie, and have Explorer, X Eclipse and Indy booked for next year. Once we get enough RC Visa points, we will redeem again for our freebie on a big one! :D!

No. Despite your so-called claims of a mundane itinerary, RCI (and the general masses) do not agree with you.

Like any other product and service, RCI is still at the mercy of market forces. And right now, the public demand for Oasis class ships is still high. The hefty price to sail on her is a reflection of that demand.

And since there's no other class of ship in comparison (supply), the Oasis class continues to sail at a capacity that's profitable for RCI.

A somewhat snarky response that misses the point of my post, but I'll indulge with a reply.

Actually Royal Caribbean is still a great cruise line to me. If it didn't suit me, I wouldn't be going on the Majesty - one of the smallest and oldest ships in the fleet, to the Bahamas, where I've been to oodles of times. I plan to use Royal when I plan my New Zealand cruise in possibly 2014.

My point is that the wow factor isn't enough to justify spending hundreds more just to stay on that ship for the same 3 islands. I rather do more exotic itineraries overseas or cheaper cruises with older ships.

People on the boards here worried that once they try Oasis class, that they would never go back to a smaller ship. I'm relieved to know that isn't the case. I'm glad the Oasis class has been successful and I'm glad I got to sail on her. I just don't have a strong need to do it again for a long time, when there are so many other options.

Hey, Robin! Yes! Although I'm planning to go on Allure with my teens, DH and I are between Jewel or Adventure in late 2013 for the ports, and for more interesting aft balconies. But after Ecuador, and French Poynesia, we will definately be back for more Oasis class fun!:D

I loved Oasis ( except that it was so big I never did get to meet you and Ben:p) but I did mind that the ships had to port so far from the action and main centers, and all the balcony cabins are pretty much the same experience unless you upgrade to a grand suite or larger. I feel about Oasis and Allure like I do about WDW, it's a fun, magical, amazingly well run operation, but it's not where you go to see the world!

BTW- you FB photos are great! Are you posting a photo review on the X boards?

So glad you enjoyed the trip!

Thanks! I will definitely do a review of the Equinox in the next week or do. It will probably take a month to go thru all my photos!

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted to see different ports I would look for a ship based on that. If I want to go for the ship life I will pick a ship based on that. Two different ways to think about it.

I could stay on Allure for the week and never need to get off at a port. We have been to the caribbean so many times that all the islands seem the same. Next year when we are going to Australia we were more interested in the ports than the ship itself.

My point is that the wow factor isn't enough to justify spending hundreds more just to stay on that ship for the same 3 islands.

You're wrong again. There's a ton of people of the CC forum who are repeat cruisers on the OASIS class, including me. You can find countless of reviews from people who've sailed on the Oasis and Allure multiple times. And this includes other classes, such as Freedom, etc.

Once again you can't fight the logic of "Supply and Demand" with your moral rhetoric and unsubstantiated opinions.

The "WOW" factor of the Oasis class is a "BIG" reason why people keep coming back. The high price of sailing on the Oasis is proof of such fact because demand remains high from repeat and new cruisers.

Sailed Oasis/Allure 10X now...to be honest I have a hard time booking anything else for the Caribbean. Even this summer we had originally planned to sail the Med on a 14 night Indy sailing but my family opted to go back and celebrate my DD's graduation on Oasis instead of spending it in the Med on indy.

Now if I was more interested in itinerary I would then look into other ships...but right now ship is more important to our vacation than itinerary. My DD and I are heading out to Alaska in less than 2 weeks for a sailing on Radiance....got a super great deal on it and had the miles for the flights....figured I would like to experience Alaska with my DD before she went off to college and with Radiance recently getting Oasis'ized I figured that would be the ship to do it on.....it should be interesting to be back on a smaller ship.....then we go right back on Oasis again.....and have 2 more Oasis sailing already booked after that......so that is where my head is at for what it's worth.

You're wrong again. There's a ton of people of the CC forum who are repeat cruisers on the OASIS class, including me. You can find countless of reviews from people who've sailed on the Oasis and Allure multiple times. And this includes other classes, such as Freedom, etc.

Once again you can't fight the logic of "Supply and Demand" with your moral rhetoric and unsubstantiated opinions.

The "WOW" factor of the Oasis class is a "BIG" reason why people keep coming back. The high price of sailing on the Oasis is proof of such fact because demand remains high from repeat and new cruisers.

I agree with you completely. My family is a example of that. They are going on the Allure next year and are exciting for being repeat customers.

I am not fighting the logic and never said I was. All I am giving is just that - an opinion. Opinions are unsubstantiated, which I agree with you. Not fact, just opinion. What people do on Cruise Critic. Always welcome to people's feedback as long as it's civil. Thank you for your opinion. :)

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted to see different ports I would look for a ship based on that. If I want to go for the ship life I will pick a ship based on that. Two different ways to think about it.

I could stay on Allure for the week and never need to get off at a port. We have been to the caribbean so many times that all the islands seem the same. Next year when we are going to Australia we were more interested in the ports than the ship itself.

Actually if both the Oasis and Jewel sailed the exact same route, it still doesn't mean I would automatically go for the Oasis.

You are right, for ship life, Oasis is totally cool! I'm just not a ship person, and I'm glad to have figured that out. It's all good. :)

I had a trip set up next March on the Brilliance to do the Southern Caribbean with our 4 children. I loved the idea of seeing so many new ports and beaches. We did a trip on the Liberty last March and the SHIP was the destination, not the ports (sorry Haiti and Jamaica, I know some love you, but I prefer most other islands over these 2 ports). BUT, the kids had the absolute best time because of all of the things the Liberty had to offer. It was a much more relaxed trip for us too since we were not carting the children around all over a variety of islands we were unfamiliar with. We felt safe with them anywhere on the ship and they could never be bored.

We switched our planned trip to the Oasis next year and cancelled the Brilliance. While the children are young, I want them to enjoy things such as the splashpad area, spectacular shows, 3D movies, character parades and breakfasts, etc. Also, I don't know if my body will be able to handle the FlowRider 10 years from now. As a family, the Oasis class ship works for us. It limits the ports, the ship is the destination, but it allows you a few beach days.

That being said, I am really excited to do the Southern Caribbean in a couple of years without the children. I look forward to a quieter, relaxing adult oriented vacation on a smaller intimate ship that can port at places the larger ships cannot reach.

I think the best answer is to enjoy both sides of the coin and don't limit yourself to a single type of voyage when there are benefits to both sides of the coin.

I should also add that just because I have sailed Oasis/Allure a lot doesn't mean that we don't ever do other trips....one of the big reasons we never did a Med sailing is because I am not convinced that is the best way to do Europe....while I am sure in the right application it may be to visit many islands....I just can't see it for places to visit like Rome.... Florence....or big cities. We have done 2 major trips to Europe and would never of traded that land experience for ship. Spending time in little remote villages in Italy or getting lost on London or Paris...or even the alleys of Venice is something that you just really can't do off a ship. Experiencing Europe is a lot of experiencing the local cuisine and flavor of the town when the tourists disappear....at least it is IMO. Taking a ship excursion into Rome or Florence for just a couple hours doesn't give you any time to experience a place like that.....it took us 2 trips of over several days each time to experience what Rome had to offer....and over a week of driving around the hill towns of Tuscany.....that is just something that get's lost with trying to do Europe via ship.

Sailed Oasis/Allure 10X now...to be honest I have a hard time booking anything else for the Caribbean. Even this summer we had originally planned to sail the Med on a 14 night Indy sailing but my family opted to go back and celebrate my DD's graduation on Oasis instead of spending it in the Med on indy.

Now if I was more interested in itinerary I would then look into other ships...but right now ship is more important to our vacation than itinerary. My DD and I are heading out to Alaska in less than 2 weeks for a sailing on Radiance....got a super great deal on it and had the miles for the flights....figured I would like to experience Alaska with my DD before she went off to college and with Radiance recently getting Oasis'ized I figured that would be the ship to do it on.....it should be interesting to be back on a smaller ship.....then we go right back on Oasis again.....and have 2 more Oasis sailing already booked after that......so that is where my head is at for what it's worth.

That's awesome you have all those planned! I wouldn't mind doing the Allure, but again, I am working with a DH who hates seas days and the same Caribbean islands over again. That's why Oasis won't be a repeat for a bit unles I go with my mom and sister. Now if only the oasis could travel to Europe... :)

I had a trip set up next March on the Brilliance to do the Southern Caribbean with our 4 children. I loved the idea of seeing so many new ports and beaches. We did a trip on the Liberty last March and the SHIP was the destination, not the ports (sorry Haiti and Jamaica, I know some love you, but I prefer most other islands over these 2 ports). BUT, the kids had the absolute best time because of all of the things the Liberty had to offer. It was a much more relaxed trip for us too since we were not carting the children around all over a variety of islands we were unfamiliar with. We felt safe with them anywhere on the ship and they could never be bored.

We switched our planned trip to the Oasis next year and cancelled the Brilliance. While the children are young, I want them to enjoy things such as the splashpad area, spectacular shows, 3D movies, character parades and breakfasts, etc. Also, I don't know if my body will be able to handle the FlowRider 10 years from now. As a family, the Oasis class ship works for us. It limits the ports, the ship is the destination, but it allows you a few beach days.

That being said, I am really excited to do the Southern Caribbean in a couple of years without the children. I look forward to a quieter, relaxing adult oriented vacation on a smaller intimate ship that can port at places the larger ships cannot reach.

I think the best answer is to enjoy both sides of the coin and don't limit yourself to a single type of voyage when there are benefits to both sides of the coin.

I think you have a great ending response. I agree. :)

I should also add that just because I have sailed Oasis/Allure a lot doesn't mean that we don't ever do other trips....one of the big reasons we never did a Med sailing is because I am not convinced that is the best way to do Europe....while I am sure in the right application it may be to visit many islands....I just can't see it for places to visit like Rome.... Florence....or big cities. We have done 2 major trips to Europe and would never of traded that land experience for ship. Spending time in little remote villages in Italy or getting lost on London or Paris...or even the alleys of Venice is something that you just really can't do off a ship. Experiencing Europe is a lot of experiencing the local cuisine and flavor of the town when the tourists disappear....at least it is IMO. Taking a ship excursion into Rome or Florence for just a couple hours doesn't give you any time to experience a place like that.....it took us 2 trips of over several days each time to experience what Rome had to offer....and over a week of driving around the hill towns of Tuscany.....that is just something that get's lost with trying to do Europe via ship.

Great point. I loved Rome this past cruise and plan to go back for a week on its own. The experience, along with other parts of Italy, Greece, and Turkey were breath-taking. Balancing those trips with casual trips to the Caribbean for relaxation are the best for me lately.

I agree with you. DH and I did a 7 night on the Oasis. We loved it, yet, we didn't get to so and do everything we wanted to. We are in the planning stages of a B2B on the Allure next summer. These ships are fantastic.

"Moral rhetoric", "unsubstantiated opinions":eek:

Relax Stud.:D

A somewhat snarky response that misses the point of my post, but I'll indulge with a reply.

Actually Royal Caribbean is still a great cruise line to me. If it didn't suit me, I wouldn't be going on the Majesty - one of the smallest and oldest ships in the fleet, to the Bahamas, where I've been to oodles of times. I plan to use Royal when I plan my New Zealand cruise in possibly 2014.

My point is that the wow factor isn't enough to justify spending hundreds more just to stay on that ship for the same 3 islands. I rather do more exotic itineraries overseas or cheaper cruises with older ships.

People on the boards here worried that once they try Oasis class, that they would never go back to a smaller ship. I'm relieved to know that isn't the case. I'm glad the Oasis class has been successful and I'm glad I got to sail on her. I just don't have a strong need to do it again for a long time, when there are so many other options.

I agree since our cruise on Oasis (we thought Oasis was great) we have cruised on Navigator of the seas, Azamara Journey and Celebrity Solstice and we enjoyed each of our cruises and have another Azamara booked for 2013. We would like to do Allure down the road but we need to give the Caribbean a rest for awhile.

wow, a little over the top? The OP did not say anything at all bad about the ship, just that she tried it and made a decision to go back to the other ships for now. Nothing wrong with that.

If you read these boards you will see a large number of people are indifferent or just don't like these ships.They are not traveling at capacity or they wouldn't be on happy hour each week at reduced prices. Another factor is the lack of ships in the Carribbean in the summer.RCI and Carnival are almost the only choices.

A lot of people,like us tried it,glad we did,don't plan on doing it again.

I think everyone's right:D. I think there are a couple of types of vacations...

one is the relax and explore the same place every year and enjoy all the amenities of the place/resort. I have a summer house where I do this, for some it may be a land resort ( we don't hear from them here;)) and for some it may be doing the same ( or similar) ship and ports each time. And Oasis class sure offers a great resort experience...we are going back to " do the stuff we missed" and share the experience with people who haven't experienced Oasis or Alure yet.

The other kind of vacation is the explore and discover vacation. I agree with Steve, we've put off doing a European cruise because I fear not bring able to see and do all I want to in a major European city within the framework of a " port day" ( but I'm willing to admit this fear may be unfounded as I haven't tried it yet;)) Because I have my summer place to go back to every year; we generally cruise for discovery, so most of my signature reflects those kinds of cruises.

So I think both things are true...some people only want to take discovery vacations, some only " comfortable same place " vacations and some like a combo of both; you can love Oasis and you can also like to take cruises to discover new places:D

OP, I agree with you. We sailed on Oasis and loved it- for us the ship was the destination. I would travel again on Oasis or try out Allure in a heartbeat. But I am looking at an 8-nighter on Indy because it is a) longer and b) has better ports.

Good Grief Stud- how can someones opinion be wrong:eek: It is the way they feel. No one has to prove anything or rely on statistical information to have an opinion.

Archived