Carnival Corporation Shareholders Benefits thru 7/31/2013

irisheileen

If you're buying the stock ONLY for OBC, don't bother. It would take you a lot of cruises to get back what you pay. CCL stock is currently over 30 USD per share (didn't check it today) so for 100 shares you're looking at over 3k investment.

Actually if you have the money to put aside it is worth it. We usually take one cruise a year of 14 days or more. Where can I get $250 tax free income on a $3000 investment? Plus they do pay a small dividend every year. We bought the stock many years ago and while we haven't gotten our money back I would have a profit if I sold it.

Can you get the credit if the stock is held in an IRA?

Yes. I print out my brokerage statement showing shares owned (in my IRA account too) when I request my onboard credit amount - I black out the account numbers, but leave my name for identification. That has worked for me when I FAX it to HAL.

• 3 months later...

I've been thinking about purchasing 100 shares of Carnival stock. I have a 12 day Baltic cruise booked for 2013. If I were to purchase the stock now, would I be able to receive the OBC for the Baltic cruise? - Allan

As a person who loves to cruise I have found my small investment in Carnival stock to be extremely rewarding. I purchased at $25 (now in the mid 30's) have received dividends quarterly, and received over $2000 in shipboard credit

Hard to find any stock i have that has given me more benefits.

With the stockholder credit, I think owning Carnival stock (CCL) is a good investment.

Here is how I see it:

Current stock price - $32.09

Dividend $1.00 annually

Yield = 3.1 %

Plus I sell Covered Calls (very conservative approach IMO) on my stock. Check with your broker or advisor on how and why to do this. Anyway,

If I sell a January $33 Call, I get back $2.75 immediately, putting my net invest investment at $32.09 - $2.75 = $29.34. I am ignoring commissions for now. If the stock does nothing, next January I have made 50 cents in dividends plus $2.75 in call premium, or $3.25 (over 11% totally), not bad for 8 months. Annual return would be over 15%.

Plus, I can make another 91 cents on the upside if the stock goes to 33 or over (you are limited to $33 on the upside on this call). The 91 cents is another 3% or about 4.3% annualized.

PLUS, you collect the stockholder credit of $50 to $250 per cruise!!

With this approach, my breakeven is now $29.34 - I make a profit at anything over this plus I collect +/- 3.1% in dividends (depending on when I sell).

I know this seems like Greek to most folks, but it really is an easy thing to do - again, speak with a professional for details and to discuss the pros and cons.

Great write up. I was wondering how to approach it and I think your little lecture made me decide that I will do some investment in Carnival as well. Thanks

Tiemen

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

This is a link I found for the newest Carnival Corporation Shareholders Benefits. I had noticed that the last one was for sailing before 7/31/, 2012 and this one extends to 7/31/2013.

I am not a Shareholder but could use a quick tutoral from someone here, please? :) For example, do you know the current cost of 100 shares, which is the minimum? Stupid question ( I don't own andy individual stock) but how does one go about purchasing it?

Thanks.

CCL Shareholder Information

Didn't know if you knew this but if you own shares of Carnival Corporation you can receive up to $250 OBC for each cruise you take. For example my husband and I cruised both Carnival and Holland America last year and sent in our info to the link below and received credit for both. If you cruise 4x per year you will receive four benefits etc.

This information is from their website, it's also on cruise critic:

"The shares of stock you purchase are in Carnival Corporation & PLC not Carnival Cruise Lines which is one of many cruise lines that Carnival Corp. owns and operates. These include : Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Costa, Ibero, Seabourn, etc.

Carnival has a portfolio of the world’s most widely recognized cruise brands, which complement each other by geography, serve nearly every segment of the cruise industry and provide our guests with virtually endless holiday choices—so many, in fact, that they need to look no further than the Carnival family when selecting a cruise vacation. The cruise lines within our portfolio include the most-recognized brands in North America, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, and Australia—areas that account for 85 percent of the world’s cruise passengers"

Carnival is the only company in the world to be included in both the S&P 500 index in the US and the FTSE 100 index in the UK.

I've been thinking about purchasing 100 shares of Carnival stock. I have a 12 day Baltic cruise booked for 2013. If I were to purchase the stock now, would I be able to receive the OBC for the Baltic cruise? - Allan

Yes, but it is trading for around $37 p share now, and on a 12 day cruise you'll only get $100 in obc's. If you did 14 days or better you'll get $250 obc's. I would really think hard about your investment right now, but it's up to you to deside!

Yes, but it is trading for around $37 p share now, and on a 12 day cruise you'll only get $100 in obc's. If you did 14 days or better you'll get $250 obc's. I would really think hard about your investment right now, but it's up to you to deside!

Another thing you can do is buy the stock and sell a covered call against it. Its like getting an extra dividend. Check with your broker for details.

DaveOKC

If you have the money to purchase a stock then you should definitely consider Carnival.

If the stock price never changes after you get it, then you'll definitely come out ahead by getting OBCs every time you cruise on one of their company ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.). Obviously the stock price can go up or down but that's true for any stock that you might purchase. So you may gain or lose on the stock purchase when you eventually sell it but either way you will get the benefit of the OBCs for all the time that you own it.

Yes, I saw that this morning. Last time I looked it was around $32/share.

I'll keep an eye on it and wait for it to come down a little.

Another thing you can do is buy the stock and sell a covered call against it. Its like getting an extra dividend. Check with your broker for details.

DaveOKC

Dave, that sounds very interesting. I will check on that, thanks! - Allan

Dave, that sounds very interesting. I will check on that, thanks! - Allan

Example - CCL is now at $36.72. You buy the stock and SELL a $40 covered call for January 2014. You immediately get back $3.30 (current price). Your net price is thus only $33.42 (ignoring commissions).

If in January, 2014, CCL stock is over $40, you HAVE to sell at $40, but you end up making $40 - 33.42 or a $6.58 profit (almost 20% PLUS the dividends), not bad. PLUS, it would be a Long Term gain.

If stock is unchanged in Jan 2014, your option expires worthless and you basically pocket the $3.30 you got today (it is a short term gain though).

If stock is below $36.72, you have a paper loss, but remember that you keep the $3.30, so your breakeven is really only 33.42.

AGAIN - CHECK WITH YOUR BROKER or financial advisor. I am not giving advice as to whether or not to buy CCL stock, or even as to whether or not you should write a call, but rather showing some options if you do buy.

DaveOKC

When I was reading the rules for OBC for stockholders on Carnival's website, it sounded like you had to claim the OBC at the time you book your cruise and pay your deposit. I currently have 4 cruises already booked. If I buy the stock now, will I be able to get the OBC for those 4 upcoming cruises? Thanks for the info!

When I was reading the rules for OBC for stockholders on Carnival's website, it sounded like you had to claim the OBC at the time you book your cruise and pay your deposit. I currently have 4 cruises already booked. If I buy the stock now, will I be able to get the OBC for those 4 upcoming cruises? Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure where you were seeing that information. This is where I've used to get information on how and where to apply for the OBC.

There is nothing stated here that says anything about when shares need to be purchased. Unless things have changed, you should be able to get the OBCs for each of your cruises.

I'm not sure where you were seeing that information. This is where I've used to get information on how and where to apply for the OBC.

There is nothing stated here that says anything about when shares need to be purchased. Unless things have changed, you should be able to get the OBCs for each of your cruises.

Thank you so much for the info! This is the exact document I needed. I saw information somewhere else that said to provide the information at the time of booking. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this!

Thank you so much for the info! This is the exact document I needed. I saw information somewhere else that said to provide the information at the time of booking. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this!

You're welcome!

It's certainly a nice bonus!:)

I got mine when stocks were very cheap .my obc on Princess,Carnival.costa,hal,cunard has easily paid for my shares and then some but i do try to cruise ... A lot

If you plan to travel a lot it might be worth while

For me it was an unbelievable good investment.plus now they have reinstated quarterly dividends ..so even better

Note on rci you cannot get obc and shareholder benefits ...that is why i did not purchase it .with carnival both are available ...FCC and shareholder .sometimes it adds upvery nicely

Michele

Archived