Camera for South America cruise

TiogaCruiser

Am starting to plan for my January cruise. I normally use my nikon DSLR but plan to reserve that for use on the ship. Am looking for a small digital that takes good pictures that I can put in my pocket or use a wire cable reinforced camera harness with a light jacket or vest over for shorex.

I am concerned about all that I have read and heard from friends that have visited the places on our trip regarding pickpockets.

Also, one of the cameras I am looking at offers GPS. I have heard some countries look at anyone carrying GPS with suspicion. Does anyone know if this is an issue with Argentina, Uruguay and chile? We are going to Valpo, p. Montt, p. Madrynn, p. Arenas, Castro, ushuiha, Montevideo, (and Antarctica ).

Any suggestions for a camera? Strategies? Anyone with experience with the cable reinforced harnesses? ( currently looking at nikon p510 and a Sony)

Thanks,

TC

We used a Panasonic Lumix (there will be newer ones now but it was about 14mpx and had a pretty big zoom) in South America. Taking the usual precautions and being careful with your belongings are all that is needed. Yes, there are pickpockets about but no more than in any tourist area in say Paris or Rome. Having a wire cable/harness for security would drive me mad and if I had to do that then I would not bother either with the camera or even visiting those locations! If you download pictures each night should anything happen to the camera it means that if anything happens to the camera you will only lose one day's photos. We had no issues with GPS on our camera in the ports in Argentina, Chile or Montevideo when we cruised about 18 months ago.We also took a video camera and had no problems with that. Never once did we feel that our belongings were in mortal danger.

Thanks, will look into the luminex. This is my first trip overseas.

I used to go into crime ridden areas several times a week on business- but would never bring a camera or other items that would make me a target.

Hi Vic

On the coolpix, can you see ( or directly set) aperture and shutter speed?

How is the video ( which would not be my main reason to buy) and battery life?

Does it save fairly quickly? I have an old coolpix ( 7 years) and it is so slow I rarely get a good shot.

Hi Vic

On the coolpix, can you see ( or directly set) aperture and shutter speed?

How is the video ( which would not be my main reason to buy) and battery life?

Does it save fairly quickly? I have an old coolpix ( 7 years) and it is so slow I rarely get a good shot.

Sorry, I have only used it in point-and-shoot mode. It seems to be fairly quick. It's a new camera and we haven't experimented with it much. However, you may be interested in this review http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-s9100-silver/4505-6501_7-34505798.html?tag=mncol;lst#reviewPage1

I really enjoy taking photos and had a nice Nikon D7000.

As to your question, I like the Lumix. I have owned a few.

I would recommend this one because of its even better than ever zoom functions.

Panasonic Lumix ZS20 14.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom)

Keith

I have been looking at the Canon SX260 and the Lumix ZS20...I like the 20x zoom feature on both. You can goole both cameras online and read reviews. I want something quick, without having to carry my dslr around and constantly change lenses.

I'm a Canon person, so I lean more towards the Canon, since I am familiar with it buttons and set up, but haven't ruled out the Lumix yet. I plan on going out and handling them both before I decide. Besides having the Canon dslr, I also have the Canon D10 for underwater, wet conditions.

I want it for my upcoming Hawaii/Australia cruise, and next year to South America.

Also, check out the Photo and Camera thread....really good info there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Thanks Keith and Deb-

That Luminx looks quite interesting- Keith, how is the video? (Not that that would be the main reason to get it but something to consider).

On both of the cameras, does the shutter respond quickly and are saves fairly fast? (Or do you end up with a blurr because you moved- my ancient coolpix has quite the delay)

The Lumix camera that Keith mentions is the newer version of the one we bought - we have never used the movie option as we have a panasonic video camera but the still photos have been good especially in bright conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Only using a DSLR on the ship kind of takes away the reason to bring it on the trip to me. You will wish you had it with you when you are touring those beautiful ports. My DSLR was hanging from my neck the whole time. When in Buenos Aires and Santiago, I held on to it and kept it close to my body to be cautious.

I use a Canon S90. The current model in that family would be the S100. It has an F2 lens, wide angle zoom, raw mode, large sensor, full manual (and automatic) controls: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100. It's about the best camera you can buy that will fit in a pocket and is all you need around town. A DSLR with telephoto is useful for shooting scenery from the ship.

I use a (bright yellow) Garmin Etrex GPS pretty much everywhere I go including all the countries and most of the ports you mention. No hassle at all.

• 3 weeks later...

TC,

I have been to most of the ports that you mentioned, going again this February.

I am taking my Nikon D90 and my Canon S100 with me. On my last South American cruise a guest lecturer made Rio sound dangerous and I took only my Panasonic point and shoot. When I was in Salvadore and Rio I saw lots of people carrying DSLRs and other expensive consumer electronics. I wish I would have taken my D90 with me then.

Is South America that much more dangerous than your hometown, or New York or Washington DC?

It is hard to seperate the good security advice from the bad. It is often the case that people fear the wrong things. Take your DSLR on a tour van, I bet you will be told how dangerous that it is to carry a camera by a person that is not wearing his seatbelt and he will light up a cigarette when he gets out of the van.

Stealing a DSLR that is attached to you with a strap is tough work. I got a BlackRapid strap, it is much more comfortable than the traditional neck straps. I am not sold on the straps with the reinforced steel wires, I think that if someone is using a knife so close to your chest, neck and back you have a whole lot of problems.

Have a good trip!

Roger

TC,

Stealing a DSLR that is attached to you with a strap is tough work. I got a BlackRapid strap, it is much more comfortable than the traditional neck straps. I am not sold on the straps with the reinforced steel wires, I think that if someone is using a knife so close to your chest, neck and back you have a whole lot of problems.

Roger

I also have a Black Rapid. I love it, very comfortable plus it is easy to walk around with your hand on your camera, rather than flopping on your chest with a traditional strap. A great product indeed.

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I would absolutely hate getting into a gorgeous place and not have my DSLR. There are some ports I do plan to take it to where we have private excursions and a few ships excursions. And for the other ports (one excursion in BA in particular, Montevideo, Valpo, Santiago) and in transit, I want a good "mini". I'll probably use it in a few places here (downtown LA, some events we do in riskier areas near home..... etc., according to the G2 and how much stuff I want to carry.

The blackstrap is interesting. I had seen it a while back online and it is one I am considering. Have been considering wearing a jacket over to further "harden the target" so to speak.

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I would absolutely hate getting into a gorgeous place and not have my DSLR. There are some ports I do plan to take it to where we have private excursions and a few ships excursions. And for the other ports (one excursion in BA in particular, Montevideo, Valpo, Santiago) and in transit, I want a good "mini". I'll probably use it in a few places here (downtown LA, some events we do in riskier areas near home..... etc., according to the G2 and how much stuff I want to carry.

The blackstrap is interesting. I had seen it a while back online and it is one I am considering. Have been considering wearing a jacket over to further "harden the target" so to speak.

Have done a few cruises around SA and last year we left a ship in Valparaiso and travelled through Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina by bus for 6 weeks before taking another cruise home. Never had any camera problems. Take your DSLR and enjoy the great pictures.

Agree with houtbay, take the DSLR. We cruised from RIO (spent 3 days there prior to cruise) around to Santiago. In RIO, we were advised by our hotel as we were leaving one day to keep the camera in a bag unless using (i.e. while walking), but other than that had no problems. Got some great pictures with various lenses, especially of the penguins in the Falklands and Punta Arenas.

We used a Panasonic Lumix (there will be newer ones now but it was about 14mpx and had a pretty big zoom) in South America. Taking the usual precautions and being careful with your belongings are all that is needed. Yes, there are pickpockets about but no more than in any tourist area in say Paris or Rome. Having a wire cable/harness for security would drive me mad and if I had to do that then I would not bother either with the camera or even visiting those locations! If you download pictures each night should anything happen to the camera it means that if anything happens to the camera you will only lose one day's photos. We had no issues with GPS on our camera in the ports in Argentina, Chile or Montevideo when we cruised about 18 months ago.We also took a video camera and had no problems with that. Never once did we feel that our belongings were in mortal danger.

I used the same camera and I got excellent pictures.Love the clarity and zoom at an affordable price (about $200 or so on Amazon.com) I would suggest that for whatever camera you take have 2 batteries! They go fast there is so much to see and photograph. I also did not feel that anyone was noticing me or threatening me. I was often with a personal guide (we are a group of 3 seniors) but especially in Rio (Brazil) we walked Copacabanna beach went to the street markets and bought food in the local area and felt no problem. I wore a travel vest (actually a fishing vest from Bass Pro Shops at about 25$) and loved that a zippered top pocket allowed me to have my camera completely out of sight but very handy. I wore the camera on a regular knit lanyard and could zip up without taking the camera lanyard off -- could shoot picture and tuck back in pocket about as fast as pulling it up from chest position. I took 2000 pictures so it was not that hard. I would caution the steel band neck lanyard or camera bag. If you are targeted by a thief, the steel band can be strong enough to cause you to be pulled down or dragged causing severe pain to a body.

We were really cautious on the SA trip in that we had heard the stories of thieves (AND they are TRUE according to our various guides) but we were not bothered. Our guide in Chile did scout out some "Romans" and moved us to the other side of the street but that was it. The trip before was a tulip river cruise in Holland and Belgium. On Easter Sunday in a very empty train station in Antwerp thieves managed to get a complete suitcase with all the important carryon stuff like meds, jewels,and souvenir treasures and thankfully not the camera. Sooo if you are going to get robbed == it probably isn't at the time or place you might expect it. Keeps you humble. :rolleyes:

As Bowie Me Me said it can happen, but just spent two days precruise in Barcelona and then cruised Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice, Kotor, Dubrovnik and although all guide books and tour guides continuously cautioned about pick pockets, etc, saw no evidence of same.

Crowds on all tours were horrendous and was a bit concerned, but nothing happened that we saw.

That said, just like at home, be aware of your surroundings, keep things buttoned up, purses, etc., across the shoulder, stick with the group (if a group) and don't get so wrapped up in sightseeing that you forget about personal safety.

Good luck,

jhagen

• 1 month later...

Just want to post my thanks to all for your advise on this.

I ended up with a PAC safe strap I can wear over the shoulder under my jacket for the DSLR. It simply is now my everyday strap. :)

Just purchased a sx260 canon and am very pleased with it. It really puts the controls where you can quickly get to them and( I hate to admit it) it's organized in a more logical and easier to get to way than my Nikon DSLR. The slow motion video is impressive.

Now to learn it! :)

Archived