Logisitcs Nightmare - Really Need the Experts!

Roma Belle

I am surprising DH with a bday cruise. He won't find out about it until the day we sail. He also won't know about 12 other friends/family joining us until he finds them on the ship.

I have asked everyone (not including us) to be at the port by 11:30 A.M. so they can check-in and board so we don't see them when we get there at 1:00 P.M.

Facts:

Carnival Liberty sailing out of Miami

Flying in a day early to Ft. Lauderdale and staying at W Fort Lauderdale (cannot be changed).

Valet parking available at hotel for $31.80 with in/out privledges

SAS will pick us up at the hotel only at 11 AM for $15pp which would be risky with seeing friends at pier. We can cab it back to FLL and get an SAS shuttle anytime we want. QLS will pick us at the hotel at 12:00 for $28pp.

Scenario 1 - Not renting a car (SAS)

Cab from FLL to hotel ($25 + tip)

Cab to/from dinner (estimating ~$30)

Cab possibly back to FLL ($25 + tip)

$15pp shuttle

= $120

Scenario 2 - Not renting a car (QLS)

Cabs from FLL to hotel ($25 + tip)

Cab to/from dinner (estimating ~$30)

shuttle at $28pp

= $120

Scenario 3 - Renting a Car

Rental from FLL - MIA (currently $33 - but plan on trying priceline for a little savings)

Hotel parking ($31.80)

Gas of 40 miles ($8),

Cab to port ($25 flat rate + tip) OR shuttle to port ($23 + tip)

= $95-$100

What would you do? It seems to make more sense renting a car, but requires going Miami airport and then to the port.

Also, how much do you usually tip for valet? Just want to make sure that is factored into my budget.

Thanks!

Rental from FLL - MIA (currently $33 - but plan on trying priceline for a little savings)

Hotel parking ($31.80)

Gas of 40 miles ($8),

= $95-$100

What would you do? It seems to make more sense renting a car, but requires going Miami airport and then to the port.

Change Scenario 3 to rent at FLL but return at a downtown Miami location. (Avis, Hertz,) If you can get the same rate then taxi from there to POM is $12+/-

For two people it makes no sense to shuttle from MIA to POM. You are doubling the price and chances are it will take longer than a cab.

SAS. If they pick you up at 11,load luggage,1110, they will make other stops, it will be 12 or after when you get to the port at miami, then there is the traffic at the port so add another 10 to 15 min.

Sas likes to fill their vans up and they always have other stops, even at the port if other ships are in, you could be the last one unloaded. Its a shared ride.

SAS. If they pick you up at 11,load luggage,1110, they will make other stops, it will be 12 or after when you get to the port at miami, then there is the traffic at the port so add another 10 to 15 min.

Sas likes to fill their vans up and they always have other stops, even at the port if other ships are in, you could be the last one unloaded. Its a shared ride.

I would agree here. And if all the guest honor your wishes and get to the port before 11:30, you won't even be near POM at that time. And you can book them for the return too.

Re use of cabs in FLL for dinner, depends on your location (you just said West FLL) if West is around the airport, there are options close by and hotel shuttles can assist if available. The hotel, urbanspoon,yelp, trip advisor, several people on this board, can help pin point these.

One rule of thumb for stress-reduced travel is KISS..keep it simple(stupid).

SAS, resto near hotel et.al., are simplest logistically.

Thank you for the helpful responses! :)

Change Scenario 3 to rent at FLL but return at a downtown Miami location. (Avis, Hertz,) If you can get the same rate then taxi from there to POM is $12+/-

For two people it makes no sense to shuttle from MIA to POM. You are doubling the price and chances are it will take longer than a cab.

I looked into some of the rental places closer to the port and they were $100+ more to drop the car there than go back to Miami Airport. That would be the best option for sure if it wasn't so much more expensive.

I would agree here. And if all the guest honor your wishes and get to the port before 11:30, you won't even be near POM at that time. And you can book them for the return too.

Re use of cabs in FLL for dinner, depends on your location (you just said West FLL) if West is around the airport, there are options close by and hotel shuttles can assist if available. The hotel, urbanspoon,yelp, trip advisor, several people on this board, can help pin point these.

One rule of thumb for stress-reduced travel is KISS..keep it simple(stupid).

SAS, resto near hotel et.al., are simplest logistically.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. We are staying at the 'W' Hotel which is right on the beach. They don't have a shuttle service to/from the airport, so we would have to rely on cabs getting around, which seem to be adding up. While this may seem easier at times, having a rental car may allow us to stop at a few places prior to going to the port to get wine, snacks, etc.

They appear to be close enough in price, so I am not sure.

You don't need a cab for dinner, unless you have your heart set on somewhere specific. There are plenty of places to eat dinner within walking distance of the hotel. Some of the best closest places are Casablanca Cafe (really nice but not fancy, moderately priced) and Lulu's Bait Shack (really casual and inexpensive). If you want someplace really nice Steak 954 in the hotel is special but expensive. You can even take the SunTrolley to the restaurants at Galleria Mall. You really don't need a car for the W unless it ends up the cheapest way to get to Miami.

Hope you are able to pull off the surprise.

I just returned from a Panama Canal transit in February. I rented a car from Gold Coast FLL. Family run business, to get me to Miami and The Everglades for a few days. I didn't want to park my car at the hotel so dropped off the car and hotel shuttled back to the Sheraton Airport for a train trip in the morning.

Long story short. It costs me about $20.00 to get from the hotel to the train station (the hotel shuttle did not do that run) in the morning.

Now...for you. What is the total cost to rent a car and park it for the night? More or less than a cab/shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel? I was told by the bell desk that there really wasn't much to see and do in FLL. At least you will be at the beach and have places you can probably pleasantly walk to. I decided it was better to "eat" at the hotel than pay for parking.

To do it again...I would have come into Port Everglades and taken a shuttle or train to Miami, then rent my car. Since this isn't an option, why not take a train to Miami in the morning and not have to deal with a car at all? They have commuter trains from FLL to Miami. Or just shuttle it all the way.

You have to be really careful about toll roads in this part of Florida. That was the one thing my car rental agency warned me about. Some where on CC they do suggest that you go to a 7-11 and just buy yourself a sun pass.

I'd like to hear what your final decision will be. Sounds like you are trying to make this a fun surprise. Good Luck

Renee

Scenario 1 is inconvenient yet the same price as scenario 2. Scenario 3 is inconvenient because you have to get a car, find your way around, drop off the car, and get a ride to the port.

Scenario 2 is the most convenient and direct. It will only cost $81 plus tips because you don't need to take a cab to dinner (you can walk to beach area dining, or take the SunTrolley to 17th St or Galleria Mall).

To add to the rental car options, I've read on here, and someone with firsthand knowledge please confirm or deny, that Alamo and National also run a free shuttle bus from the MIA rental center to the port (just like they do at FLL to Port Everglades). If so, and you can get the rental for less than the combined cost of the $33 quote plus taxi to POM, then this might be something to look at. Whether you want a car or not really depends on you guys and what you want to do with whatever time you have.

Anyway, I'll toss out scenario 4 here. Forget the rental car, and forget the shuttle van. Take a cab to the hotel from the airport, and have one of the many limo companies (QLS, GO Airport Shuttle, South Florida Transportation, etc) take you to the Port of Miami in a town car sedan. GO advertises $75 from FLL to POM, so I would have to think from the hotel wouldn't be more than $100. You are still in the ballpark of the total cost of the other options, and you get to the port in a car with just the 2 of you, not in a van doing laps of the hotel and airport strip filling up on people before you can leave.

Hotel parking ($31.80)

Gas of 40 miles ($8),

= $95-$100

Who are you renting from?

Alamo/National have a free shuttle from their airport dropoff location to the POM.

As I understand, they discontinued it...and then restarted it awhile back.

Oh...and it is free...well, complimentary.

otoh, if you use priceline you won't have a choice as to which rental co. you use. Still, Priceline can be very cost effective.

Lastly, check for coupon codes for car rentals on http://www.mousesavers.com

You don't need a cab for dinner, unless you have your heart set on somewhere specific. There are plenty of places to eat dinner within walking distance of the hotel. Some of the best closest places are Casablanca Cafe (really nice but not fancy, moderately priced) and Lulu's Bait Shack (really casual and inexpensive). If you want someplace really nice Steak 954 in the hotel is special but expensive. You can even take the SunTrolley to the restaurants at Galleria Mall. You really don't need a car for the W unless it ends up the cheapest way to get to Miami.

Scenario 2 is the most convenient and direct. It will only cost $81 plus tips because you don't need to take a cab to dinner (you can walk to beach area dining, or take the SunTrolley to 17th St or Galleria Mall).

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I did some research and made a reservation somewhere (forgot where now...I will have to look) and it did require a cab ride. DH really likes to be by the water so dinner on the water would be perfect for him. I'll keep looking.

#2 would probably be the best....

Interesting dilemma but hardly a nightmare.

Cab to hotel

Walk for dinner

SAS at 11:00

By the time you get to MIA your friends should be all checked in.

Cheapest and least complicated.

Thanks, but then we risk running into them on the ship before we can all drop our stuff in our cabins. There's another part of the surprise that actually involves the ship that I didn't post here.

To add to the rental car options, I've read on here, and someone with firsthand knowledge please confirm or deny, that Alamo and National also run a free shuttle bus from the MIA rental center to the port (just like they do at FLL to Port Everglades). If so, and you can get the rental for less than the combined cost of the $33 quote plus taxi to POM, then this might be something to look at. Whether you want a car or not really depends on you guys and what you want to do with whatever time you have.

Anyway, I'll toss out scenario 4 here. Forget the rental car, and forget the shuttle van. Take a cab to the hotel from the airport, and have one of the many limo companies (QLS, GO Airport Shuttle, South Florida Transportation, etc) take you to the Port of Miami in a town car sedan. GO advertises $75 from FLL to POM, so I would have to think from the hotel wouldn't be more than $100. You are still in the ballpark of the total cost of the other options, and you get to the port in a car with just the 2 of you, not in a van doing laps of the hotel and airport strip filling up on people before you can leave.

Thanks, I will call the rental desks at MIA to confirm the shuttle. That would be awesome!

I did call around for private car services and they seemed to be quite high, but I will check out GO.

Who are you renting from?

Alamo/National have a free shuttle from their airport dropoff location to the POM.

As I understand, they discontinued it...and then restarted it awhile back.

Oh...and it is free...well, complimentary.

otoh, if you use priceline you won't have a choice as to which rental co. you use. Still, Priceline can be very cost effective.

Lastly, check for coupon codes for car rentals on http://www.mousesavers.com

Thanks...I will look into coupon codes!

You obviously can't go too wrong considering all the different recommendations. My preference would be the rental car. It is the cheapest option and gives you the most flexibility. I think you will be able to get a better price on a car. We paid half that for a full size - different season though. Alamo, National, Enterprise, Thrifty and Dollar all offer a free shuttle from MIA to POM, so you won't have to have that cost. On each of your options you have at least one shuttle ride, but the one from MIA to POM is the shortest, most direct and most flexible. If you are comfortable driving a car in a new city that would be my pick.

Does anyone know how much tolls are from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami airport? I didn't even think of that! Thanks!

You can get from FLL to MIA without paying any tolls. You just have to pay attention, but it's not difficult. Just print a route on Mapquest and choose the 'avoid toll roads' option. It might even be the same route they would give you anyway.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I did some research and made a reservation somewhere (forgot where now...I will have to look) and it did require a cab ride. DH really likes to be by the water so dinner on the water would be perfect for him. I'll keep looking.

#2 would probably be the best....

Coconuts is right on a marina and no more than a mile away. Casablanca Cafe is right across from the beach and a few blocks away. These are the best restaurants within a mile other than Steak 954 at W which is across the street from the beach with views (but it's really expensive IMO). Maybe you have reservations at Chart House, Bimini Boatyard, or 15th St Fisheries? 15th St Fisheries is on the water but if you eat upstairs you'll barely know it.

Archived