On board credit

mum and dad are going on the Norwegian fjords cruise with princess. First time for a cruise and was wondering how much credit you think I should put them onto their account. They don't have a credit card, would they accept mine as a card for any additional charges they may incur? I have read that if you do not have a credit card you can leave $300 minimum at the pursers desk. If they do this will they get a daily statement to say how much money left? Basically I want to cover any additional costs for them. Advice greatly received.

Not expert, but my read is they will have to put the cash down. You can prebuy OBC on your card. The trick is guessing close. Ask grands how many drinks a day each, allow for gratuities, add some buffer. Do same for shore excursions, speciality dining and all the other types of extras they MIGHT buy. You could then get a best guess.

They can only use your card if you are on the cruise also. They swipe the card when you are checking in.

You can go to the front desk and get a copy of your bill at any time.

At a minimum the daily Hotel Service Charge (autotip) will be charged to their account. This is $12.00 per person per day for passengers in a suite and $11.50 for all others.

call and place an amount for them to use as onboard stuff.

We placed our money on our account before we went.

Whatever was left over we got acheck o the last morning

Thanks for all your advice. Think what I will do is give them an envelope with money in which they can pay as cash when they check in. Presume then that if any credit is left they will just get it back on the last morning. Would this be the same if I pre pay it by credit as noticed on the website that you can put gifts on their account. They are not drinkers, the strongest my mum will drink is an espresso coffee!!!!! So by my reckoning do you think the following will be enough

14 x $12 = $144

couple of speciality meals $100

drinks=$150

additional extras $ 500

So was thinking if I either give $1000 or put that as credit should be enough? I know it could be a endless pit as you could spend a fortune but I just want to make sure that the holiday does not cost them a penny!

May be best to call the cruise line, explain and ask if you can use your card. Cannot be the 1st time someone would have asked. Don't forget that they may take tours which can get pricey. On Holland, you 'pre-register' for the cruise including the credit card on their web site - have not needed the card at check-in.

I hope i'm not being nosey, but here is a suggestion. Rather than giving them so much cash to carry, you can purchase a prepaid credit card at most drug store chains and load it with as much money as you want. That way they will then have a credit card they can use for the trip. If they use up the funds on the card, you can always load more money on the card for them from home. I hope this helps.

I am going on the Amsterdam Grand Asia with you. Looking forward to meeting you.

Steve Zimmerman

I do not believe the ships accept prre-paid credit cards. However, I would purchase OBC for them in the amount that you estimate they will spend. Take into account those gangway photos they might want as souvenirs...Formal night dining room photos, etc. And also give them an envelope of money in case they exceed the OBC. EM

Thanks for all your advice. Think what I will do is give them an envelope with money in which they can pay as cash when they check in. Presume then that if any credit is left they will just get it back on the last morning. Would this be the same if I pre pay it by credit as noticed on the website that you can put gifts on their account. They are not drinkers, the strongest my mum will drink is an espresso coffee!!!!! So by my reckoning do you think the following will be enough

14 x $12 = $144

couple of speciality meals $100

drinks=$150

additional extras $ 500

So was thinking if I either give $1000 or put that as credit should be enough? I know it could be a endless pit as you could spend a fortune but I just want to make sure that the holiday does not cost them a penny!

Have you already pre-paid the tips. If not you might want to consider this in your plans.

Don't go the pre-paid gift card route.....it won't be accepted on the ship and in most ports!!!

I would give them the cash....they can apply some of the cash towards their shipboard account, and keep some for going ashore.

There are different types of prepaid cards.

The ones that can be bought in the grocery stores do not have a name imprinted on them. That is a problem.

Our DDs have prepaid cards through our bank. They can be used at point of purchase as a swipe and PIN but not at an ATM.

These would be like a debit card, subject to holds etc.

When we cruise we pre-pay for as much as possible. Specialty dining, shore excursions. We have expenses on board for cocktails, wine, photos, and I always spend some money in the shops - and we get by for $800-$1000 for a week. This next trip I will be watching the money a little closer because I've prefunded our on board account so I can walk away from the trip totally paid in full.

Archived