How useful is the balcony?

jaive

How useful is the balcony on an Alaskan cruise? We booked a BB on the Caribe deck and are going mid September. And I'm thinking of trying to book on end of June to mid July instead since they seem to be going on sale for similar to what we paid, but I'd have to book a GTY BE or BF to get a similar price. The balcony is why we booked the Caribe deck, so how useful is it really on an Alaskan Cruise?

Sarah

We love having a balcony. We always choose a deck that the balcony is completed covered. It acts as a protector from the rain and the wind. So no matter what the weather, we can be outside if we want.

We do spend a lot of time too up on deck.

On our next cruise to Alaska, we booked an AFT wrap around balcony and can't wait.

Hi Sarah,

This year will be our second time cruising to AK. Both times we will have a balcony and would not sail without one. The scenery is why we cruise AK and having your own balcony to look out early am; late pm or anytime you want is so important. Bring your binoculors to view wildlife and glaciers and shore stops without having to chase to an upper deck with many others. We also have a Caribe BA and are sooo looking forward to June 30. Have a great cruise no matter which you choose.

For a cruise through the Inside Passage of Alaska I would strongly recommend a balcony. We booked a balcony room because others had recommended it to us and we did not regret the extra money spent.

We loved sitting on the balcony with a hot cup of tea in hand. Since we cruised in May the weather was a bit cold at times but we had brought thick robes (because we thought they weren't provided) and used the robes to cover our legs while we watched the scenery pass by us. It was romantic and cozy. Our balcony did not have a lot of wind, despite the weather, and I attribute this to the skills of the ship's engineers.

For a cruise to the Caribbean, I would say it was not needed. Most of what you're looking at is just ocean, ocean and more ocean.

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we have done two Alaska cruises. We loved the balcony each time. There are a number of folks who feel an inside cabin is perfect since they spend a great amount of time on the open decks, but your own balcony is simply wonderful.

Just back from 7 day cruise/7 day land tour. We had an uncovered balcony. The weather wasn't balcony-sitting weather. We were out there a few times to stand at the rail to look at something quickly.

We are just back from an Alaskan cruise with Celebrity and had a balcony. Loved every minute of it. When it was windy up on deck, it was out of the wind on the balcony and I often sat watching the scenary go by in the sunshine - wonderful. Especially when the porpoises were swimming alongside the ship.

If you can afford it, then go for it. :):)

Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder...

The views from a balcony while wonderful, private, and if a covered also sheltered, the same view is always avalable just a few minute walk from any inside cabin.

The weather isn't exactly warm in Alaska even during the best time, so what you get is views and ability to step out without ever leaving your cabin, only you can pin the value/usefiulness of that.

No question on our last cruise my parents enjoyed the fact they could just watch the fjord and glacier without ever stepping out of the cabin, but I aslo think they missed something by just sitting there versus going up top.

If you can afford it and it doesn't take away from any excursion or other elements than of course its "useful" :D

We just returned, too. We had a completely covered balcony, and we used it all the time! We found some inexpensive blankets in the ship's store, so we bought two. We took hot tea back to our cabin from the buffet, sat on the balcony and either read or watched the incredible scenery. We even stayed on our balcony for the Hubbard Glacier viewing, and I don't think we missed a thing.

We have booked our 3rd Alaskan cruise and leave in 10 days. All of them have been balconies. Inside cabins may be less expensive but we saw whales and other sealife from our balcony. If we had been in an inside we would not. The scenery alone is well worth the price. Yes you can see it from up on deck but not as easily!

Squid

Being single, I shared a balcony cabin with another single lady

we hardly used the balcony. She was a lot "colder" than me...I did go out there and sit several times, she maybe went out once

Now granted couples might want to be romantic but it was pretty chilly for that LOL

I don't smoke so I didn't use it for that, was lucky we didn't have smokers near us (Carnival stil allows smoking,only on balconies)

JMO>>> if you have to choose between a balcony and excursions, go for the excursions

Alaska is really amazing, lots to see and do, it's not cheap any way you look at it :)

How useful is the balcony on an Alaskan cruise? We booked a BB on the Caribe deck and are going mid September. And I'm thinking of trying to book on end of June to mid July instead since they seem to be going on sale for similar to what we paid, but I'd have to book a GTY BE or BF to get a similar price. The balcony is why we booked the Caribe deck, so how useful is it really on an Alaskan Cruise?

Sarah

As far as I am concerned a balcony is an essential in Alaska. There is so much to see. I would hate to have to always go to public viewing areas on the ship to get to the "outside". The Caribe is the perfect deck for a balcony. They are larger and partially covered which will protect you in all the rain.

We're on day 5 of our Alaska cruise, in Sitka today, and we have spent alot of time on our balcony. It's a covered one, aft wrap, but the weather has been great and not too cold to go sit out there and enjoy the scenery and beauty. HAL has blankets in the staterooms to be used on deck but we haven't needed to use them. On Glacier Bay Day the public decks were a little crowded at times so it was nice to have our own little viewing area now and then during the day. Hope this helps :)

Even though we have had a verandah for each of our Alaska cruises we don't use it much. If you have walking/mobility difficulties that is a different story. However, if you get around well I truly believe that your best views are from the open deck of the ship.

If you look at the thread that I started which showed several photos from Glacier Bay they were taken on the open deck not the verandah. You want to be in a position where you can go from side to side of the ship with ease and that is accomplished on the open deck.

So if your budget does not allow a verandah no worries.

Keith

Even though we have had a verandah for each of our Alaska cruises we don't use it much. If you have walking/mobility difficulties that is a different story. However, if you get around well I truly believe that your best views are from the open deck of the ship.

If you look at the thread that I started which showed several photos from Glacier Bay they were taken on the open deck not the verandah. You want to be in a position where you can go from side to side of the ship with ease and that is accomplished on the open deck.

So if your budget does not allow a verandah no worries.

Keith

Keith makes an excellent point. From the open deck you get a 360 degree view of Alaska. From a balcony you see only the port or starboard 180 degree view unless you leave your balcony - which is contrary to the reason you booked a balcony.

As a followup to my last post, this link will take you to the photos I posted of our visit to Glacier Bay this past April. I could not have taken all of these from a verandah.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1644909

Keith

Wow, Keith, those are stunning photos!! Amazing and beautiful!!

What type of camera did you use??

Great job, thanks for sharing!

I recently returned from our 3rd Alaskan sailing. The first trip we were traveling with our kids and booked the largest inside cabin available, as I couldn't afford a balcony. 3 weeks before sailing I happened to look and there was a balcony for the same price I'd paid for the inside -- just a $50 upgrade charge for the 2 kids. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.

We hardly used the balcony that trip. I still don't know why -- if it was the position on the ship or what the problem was -- but I couldn't stand to be out there because of the wind. It wasn't the wind itself or the cold (we'd gone prepared to bundle up), but the NOISE! It was awful. We've got video we shot from our balcony of some dolphins and it's almost unwatchable due to the wind noise that was also recorded.

For our next trip, which was done on the spur of the moment and not really budgeted for, we booked an inside. We used the promenade deck with the wonderful loungers as "our" balcony and it worked great. It was so nice to be tucked back on the deck, out of the wind, and be able to lay there and watch the scenery sail by. If we did spot something, it was easier to move around and see what intrigued us than it would have been on a balcony.

For our last cruise, we tried a balcony again. Got a good deal on the cruise, had $600 in rewards from my NCL card to help pay for it -- and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I've discovered I love getting up at 5 in the morning to see the sunrise or scenery sailing by and watch us sail into port. As I'm usually still in my jammies, I wouldn't want to be up in a public area for that scenery.

Could I do Alaska again without a balcony? Yes, it it meant the difference between going and staying home. Would I prefer a balcony? Sure.

You really have to decide if it fits into your budget, as there's not a right answer that fits everyone.

We're on day 5 of our Alaska cruise, in Sitka today, and we have spent alot of time on our balcony. It's a covered one, aft wrap, but the weather has been great and not too cold to go sit out there and enjoy the scenery and beauty. HAL has blankets in the staterooms to be used on deck but we haven't needed to use them. On Glacier Bay Day the public decks were a little crowded at times so it was nice to have our own little viewing area now and then during the day. Hope this helps :)

By any chance to you know if the blankets are wool? (allergies). Told my hubby, I was packing a blanket as I'm one of these people that is always cold. (but can't wait to go back to Alaska).

Depending on the ship, the decks can get "congested" so a Balcony is always a nice option. This thread shows that some feel there is a value there and others do not. Personally, I think it depends on the price difference. To me 20% more than an inside room seems like a BARGAIN but for others, $100 more per person may be too much. One thing I saw on another thread was a lady who had become sea sick. She stayed in her Balcony cabin/bed recuperating and said that she was EXTREMELY grateful for the balcony otherwise she would not have had the opportunity to see all the scenery while recovering that one day.

Another thing to think about is that some cruises are dropping their rates as it gets closer to departure. You may be able to pay for an inside cabin now and then get a FREE upgrade to a balcony cabin if you play your cards right and make the request once the rates have dropped. That is essentially what we did on our upcoming June 10th NCL Pearl cruise. We booked the lowest cost Balcony cabin at the time that we could pick out the cabin (Category BB @ front of the ship). We also bought an inside cabin across the hall for the boys. As the prices dropped, we were able to get 2 balcony (mid-ship) cabin's with connecting inside doors for no additional cost. This saved us nearly $1,000 over booking 2 Balcony's form the beginning. It does require a cruise line that will work with you.

A balcony is always nice. However, over the years I have had everything from a balcony to a porthole and IMO as nice as a balcony is, a balcony for Alaska is marginal and of little use in the shoulder seasons. Far to often the the weather is just to cool and or wet to take advantage of it.

I am going to Alaska next week for the first time and we have a mini suite on the Diamond. Since we are Floridians we get cold when it's 70 :) so I plan to pack accordingly! I have a portable heater in my office as it's so cold in there, wish I could brign it and put that out on the balcony!

I plan to be out there no matter what (except torrential downpours) which won't be happening because I asked for great weather! :D

I look at so many pictures of Alaska on this website but I know it will be nothing in comparison to the real thing...

This will be our first cruise, we usually vacation at AI resorts in Mexico always with a balcony. We love to get up and have coffee in the mornings relaxing on the balcony, I couldn't imagine not having one on the ship. I know it will be cold, but I love being outdoors on the balcony. Ours only has a small overhang and is pretty open for views. So I'll be praying for dry weather!

On most ships the balcony rail is glass so even from the inside of the room, you will have a great view out of the floor to ceiling sliding glass doors. I have had a balcony on all of my AK trips and have used them all the time - I like the fact that I can go out for awhile, then come in and warm up and dry off (if necessary). I also don't like feeling like I have to have a drink every time I sit in one of the public lounges. As for being cold and wet - you will get just as cold and wet on the upper deck. So I will always budget for a balcony room.

Thank you everyone for your replies! We are definitely going with a balcony! A big reason we chose an Alaskan cruise was for the scenery and we feel an inside cabin would defeat that purpose!

If we can find a lower category cabin earlier in the year for the same price, I'm just not sure if it would be worth going earlier. We have a BB booking on the caribe deck in the aft part of the ship and I like what I've read about the Caribe deck, and I like the placement of our cabin. It would be booking a BE or BF gty to go cheaper and I'm not sure I would want to do that. Choices, choices! Thanks for everyone's input!

Sarah

Archived