Cannot believe this - cruise overbooked!!

Perhaps someday RCI will be pleasant enough to you.

They already have been many times TYVM, or I would not sail with them nor would I be on this board complaining about them as you seem to like to do. :cool:

Bye bye now

We booked on the Monarch of the Seas 10 days ago and today (4 days before we sail) RCCL called to say that they apologize but they have overbooked this cruise so we have 3 choices.

1. Cruise on same date but out of Miami on the Majesty for an upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC

2. Cruise on Monarch but on another date for upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC

3. Full refund.

Well DH can only get off this coming week so that narrowed our choices down but it sucks that we now have a 4 and a half hour drive (one way) as opposed to a 2 hour drive (one way).

I guess this is how RCCL treats loyal Emerald customers ..... this makes us rethink our cruise future with the company.

I'm trying to figure out what being Emerald has to do with it???

Kathy

If RCI would have handled it in the manner I suggested, the OP would not have posted at all, so, as we see, the OP was not at all happy with the changes in their plans, and posted her displeasure with RCI ..... which could easily have been avoided with a customer service department with professionalism and class.

It ain't rocket science.

You're making assumptions on all your points. We don't know how the conversation went and the OP never responded to the questions (1)whether she had actually booked a cabin or a guarantee and (2) did they refuse the options offered.

We booked on the Monarch of the Seas 10 days ago and today (4 days before we sail) RCCL called to say that they apologize but they have overbooked this cruise so we have 3 choices...

...I guess this is how RCCL treats loyal Emerald customers ..... this makes us rethink our cruise future with the company.

As to the lack of respect to a loyal cruiser, that's crap. I would be ashamed if they bumped another cruiser no matter what their status when I only booked two weeks before the start of the cruise.

I would be ashamed if they bumped another cruiser no matter what their status when I only booked two weeks before the start of the cruise.

It seems like you are assigning blame to this cruiser for booking in this time frame.

Again, it is not the cruiser's problem that the room they booked is not available due to overbooking.

You are totally off on this.

Majesty goes to both Coco Cay and Key West on the 4 night cruise. Monarch does have a sea day on the 4 night cruise. The difference between the 2 on the 4 night cruise is, MJ goes to KW and MN has a sea day.

But regardless, it's not about what you, me, or anyone else would want. It's about what the Op wanted, and the op went for the Monarch, not the Majesty.

Agreed.

It's not like two diners in a restaurant simultaneously ordered the last serving of prime rib.

It's pathetic that RCI can keep the money from someone that cancels inside of final but then say TFB to someone that they sold a cruise to inside of ten days of sailing.

As for the extra driving being no big deal, tell that to someone with dependent edema and leg swelling what an extra 2-3 hours each way means to them.

Even as of right now you can wait list for a suite for this very cruise. Apparently, if the suite became available they would gladly sell it instead of giving it to the OP.

Where can you get one of those vomiting emoticons???

I'm looking to book a cruise on the Monarch specifcally because it is an hour from my house.

I know that I would NOT be happy to hear that I could not go and had to drive 4 hours to Miami to get on a different ship.

I'm looking to book a cruise on the Monarch specifcally because it is an hour from my house.

I know that I would NOT be happy to hear that I could not go and had to drive 4 hours to Miami to get on a different ship.

Esp if we booked a 3 night cruise...........while I rather do the MJ than MN,I dont.....not for just a few days..

Esp if we booked a 3 night cruise...........while I rather do the MJ than MN,I dont.....not for just a few days..

I guess you guys don't know how to roll with the flow! :rolleyes:

just kidding.

just kidding.

Takes me 2 1/2 hrs to Pt Canaveral........almost 6 to Miami....Not to mention the traffic when you get past West Palm!:eek::eek:

It's pathetic that RCI can keep the money from someone that cancels inside of final but then say TFB to someone that they sold a cruise to inside of ten days of sailing.

Agreed! Do they even have a bumping policy?

Or is their bumping policy TFB? Wait! I think their company policy is TFB.

You're making assumptions on all your points. We don't know how the conversation went ......

We certainly do know how the converstation went .... it went that the OP was NOT HAPPY, displeased enough to come here and tell us all about it.

You wish to dispute that?

just kidding.

Wow! Nice smart alec remark :rolleyes: I figured it wouldnt long before one would come back with something to say about that.

I am literally LMAO at this thread at this point. It has been settled, the OP is going on Majesty and yet of course the whiners are still doing their thing because big bad evil cruise company ROYALLY screwed someone over in their minds.

Like I said, its the Cruise Critic way :rolleyes: You all carry on though LOL

Some of us choose to roll with the flow and not sweat the small things. On top of that, no matter how you look at it, the Majesty is a little better ship and they are getting an upgrade with some OBC.

Some of us might find this quote smart-alecky.

Just because you wouldn't be inconvenienced doesn't mean others would feel the same. And it's not just about the OP, it's about a way of doing business, which is what we are commenting on.

Just because you wouldn't be inconvenienced doesn't mean others would feel the same. And it's not just about the OP, it's about a way of doing business, which is what we are commenting on.

Apparently the OP wasnt inconvenienced TOO BAD because she is taking their offer LOL!

If I dont like the way a company does business, I stop "doing business" with them.......I dont spend hours on time on a message forum talking about how bad they are.

Thats just me though and my comments were in no way intended to be "smart alecky" at all. I just choose to make the best out of each situation and dont see the big deal here.

As to the lack of respect to a loyal cruiser, that's crap. I would be ashamed if they bumped another cruiser no matter what their status when I only booked two weeks before the start of the cruise.

It seems like you are assigning blame to this cruiser for booking in this time frame.

Again, it is not the cruiser's problem that the room they booked is not available due to overbooking.

How could you possibly interpret my post that way? I'm not blaming her for anything but apparently you would be OK if you booked 2 weeks out and they bumped someone that had been booked longer but had a lower C&A status. That's pretty pompous.:rolleyes:

How could you possibly interpret my post that way? I'm not blaming her for anything but apparently you would be OK if you booked 2 weeks out and they bumped someone that had been booked longer but had a lower C&A status. That's pretty pompous.:rolleyes:

My point is that it shouldn't be ok to bump anyone: they should sell cabins that are actually available.

Your post would have been fine if you left out this part: "when I only booked two weeks before the start of the cruise." If you take that out, your comment doesn't sound judgemental.

Didnt want to get involved but the OP was upset because RC isnt treating their Emerald customers better than someone who booked the cruise much further in advance than 10 days before it sailed... Sounds like a little entitlement to me. RC apologized for the mistake and did everything they could to make it right. They are getting to go on a newer(ish) ship, in a better room, with OBC... The thought that the OBC should be increased is ridiculous considering the cruise fare paid wasnt substantially higher than what RC already offered them...

My point is that it shouldn't be ok to bump anyone: they should sell cabins that are actually available.

Your post would have been fine if you left out this part: "when I only booked two weeks before the start of the cruise." If you take that out, your comment doesn't sound judgemental.

It was judgemental. I agree. No one should get bumped but it happens.

The OP thought she deserved preference over others because she was Emerald. Did you read her original post? That's pompous all day.

Over-booking is a poor practice from a customer service standpoint, but it is something that companies see as necessary.

When you book a late trip, that is a risk that you take.

How should be booking a trip late be a risk the cruiser? I can see maybe anticipating cancellations for people that book multiple cruises months or years in advance for the same weeks only to decide later what cruise they will take.

But inside not just final payment, but the 100% penalty for cancellation phase, and still overbooking is a shame and pathetic customer service.

RCI could have wait listed them. No promises, no expectations.

Archived