Cannot believe this - cruise overbooked!!

Exactly.

Well, I can tell you that if I lived anywhere in Central FL within a few hours of all ports, that this really is "no big deal" to me. Some of us choose to roll with the flow and not sweat the small things. On top of that, no matter how you look at it, the Majesty is a little better ship and they are getting an upgrade with some OBC.

Apparently the OP finally agreed as their signature now shows they are going on Majesty. ;)

The only thing I would have done in this situation is ask for a little more compensation to make up for the extra gas and parking costs. I hope the OP was able to do just that.

$100 OBC wouldn't do it for me. I assume OP was happy with an inside cabin, so oceanview upgrade probably isn't that big of a deal. But everyone is different. I would prefer to keep the category I booked and get a significant OBC. 5 extra hours travel time, plus gas and higher parking fees would require more like $300-$500 OBC for me to be satisfied. I assume RCI didn't care too much if they canceled, otherwise they would have offered more OBC to start with. As others have said, I don't know how this happens when OP booked just days ago.

It amazes me the number of posters that say it's no big deal. I guess when it isn't effecting a person directly, most just don't really care.

Agreed!

3. Full refund.

I think it really sucks RCI did this to you and truthfully, no matter how much I have loved my past RCI cruises, if they did this to me, I would probably take the full refund and book a cruise on one of the 2 other lines doing 3 night cruises.

However, according to your sgnature, it appears you took the Majesty option. Try to make the best out of it. That extra 2 hours of driving might be worth the room upgrade and OBC. However, I would try to squeeze a little more out of RCI. Try for a deck 9 SO Oceanview, or maybe another $50 OBC.

Have to think the same thing. I would love to only have a 4 1/2 drive to any cruise port. Flights are the only way for my family of four $$$$. Our closest port of is in New Jersey....which is a 12-13 hour drive.

The "silver lining" for us and the flight travel- we have direct flights from DTW to New Jersey, Baltimore, FLL, Miami. The only partially PITA destination is Port Canaveral since we have a drive from Orlando.

For sure, I would also talk with someone. But it would also be interesting to hear the full story- did you get a cabin, and e-check in right away? If you had done that, much like an airplane, it would seem to be really hard to turn a seat/ticket holder away.

Certainly, I hope you have a great trip, whatever you choose to do. That itinerary is one of our favorites when we get award flight travel. Easy to pack, easy to travel, etc.

If you have a confirmed reservation with a cabin # assigned they cannot throw you off. Just say Hell No We won't go. They will just continue to go down the list of passengers and keep upping the incentive to change cruises until they find enough passengers to make the switch

. Just say Hell No We won't go.

Too late. They took the Majesty option :)

Lets see here, a stop at Key West on Majesty vs. a sea day on Monarch. A better room on a little newer ship (I have heard such great reviews about Compass deli and I loved Johnny Rockets!) with some OBC to boot? Seems like a no brainer to me :)

Hopefully, the OP was able to get compensation for the extra gas and parking costs.

Yes, I would have gladly taken this offer if I were a central FL resident.

In fact, I almost called up RCI when they overbooked our Freedom cruise and ask them if I could be switched to Allure like they offered some FL residents knowing good and well it would have been about 3 extra hours of driving and another 100.00 in gas. I doubt they would have still had any accessible cabins left though. :o

Well, it seems to me that RCI has learned something from the Rhapsody mess. A) They admitted that they made a mistake. B) They contacted the passenger that booked last. C) They did offer a cabin upgrade and some onboard credit.

P.S. to the OP: I am sorry that you are having to deal with this situation.

I'm confused with why everyone thinks the OP deserves 300-$500 OBC for a cruise that is 3 nights and they probably spend $200pp. RCL is already upgrading their room, giving them an OBC and they are going to Key West which costs more in taxes for the cruise line. The only justified complaint is if they Majesty price was going for less than the Monarch on that sailing date.

Again, RCI customer service fails.

A senior manager should have called OP.

First thing, a sincere apology with the explanation.

Then a conversation as to what could be done to make them happy.

Change to the other ship, other port, cabin upgrade, $100 OBC.

OP then informs CS that this requires hours more driving, aggravation, inconvenience, increased travel costs.

CS then understands OP time, inconvenience, and increased costs are problematic, offers more OBC, maybe a balcony, whatever it takes to negotiate a happy customer.

It ain't that difficult.

Overbooking happens all the time with airlines. While it's not a regular occurrence with ships, they do the same thing as the airlines. They know a certain percentage, on average, cancel a cruise so they overbook to cover that percentage.

All true but the difference is the airlines are dealing with a large group of full fare flyer's who can cancel at anytime with no (or next to no) penalty

Not the same with cruise lines. If they are overbooking ,they are getting paid twice. Kinda sleazy.

I dont think the compensation is enough. We were given a "move-over offer" on Princess - it was optional. The offer was an upgrade on any future sailing of our choice, plus a full refund of our cruise fare. We took the offer and essentially got the cruise for free (in a mini-suite).
Wow that is very generous. Ain't gonna happen with RCI.

This seems typical of the terrible customer service RCI has shown in the past several months.

It amazes me the number of posters that say it's no big deal. I guess when it isn't effecting a person directly, most just don't really care.

RCI sold this cruise ten days ago. That is well beyond final payment date. To say they plan these over bookings anticipating cancellations seems like robbery. If a person cancels inside final they would lose most if not all their deposits. Cancellation inside 14 days on a 3/4 cruse results in a 100% loss of deposits.

$100 for an OBC is a joke. It wont pay for the expenses to get to Miami. And an upgrade from inside to oceanview is also pathetic.

Sickening.

As for treating a loyal customers poorly, it shouldn't matter if it was a first time cruiser or a pinnacle member.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Said perfectly!

Good luck OP! Hope the final resolution is much better

RCL is already upgrading their room, giving them an OBC and they are going to Key West which costs more in taxes for the cruise line. The only justified complaint is if they Majesty price was going for less than the Monarch on that sailing date.

Lets see here, a stop at Key West on Majesty vs. a sea day on Monarch. A better room on a little newer ship (I have heard such great reviews about Compass deli and I loved Johnny Rockets!) with some OBC to boot? Seems like a no brainer to me :)

Because it's not the cruise the Op wanted. The option of booking Majesty, with the Key West stop, maybe nicer ship, Compass Deli, was there when the op searched for and booked their cruise. But it wasn't what they wanted. They wanted and booked the Monarch. Maybe a sea day was what they wanted instead of another stop.

I understand the concept of making lemonade out of lemons. I get that. But most people choose their cruise for specific reasons and aren't as flexible for change.

CS then understands OP time, inconvenience, and increased costs are problematic, offers more OBC, maybe a balcony, whatever it takes to negotiate a happy customer.

She took the Majesty offer so unless she comes back and tells us exactly what made her take said offer, Im going to assume it was pleasant enough to make her make the switch.

But hey, people will still go on for weeks complaining about RCI and how they handle things without knowing all the details because thats the Cruise Critic way :cool:

I understand the concept of making lemonade out of lemons. .

Apparently, thats exactly what the OP chose to do in this case :) I am of course assuming but Im thinking they wanted and booked the Monarch because Monarch is 2.5 hours closer. The extra drive seemed to be the major complaint in her original post :)

Because it's not the cruise the Op wanted. The option of booking Majesty, with the Key West stop, maybe nicer ship, Compass Deli, was there when the op searched for and booked their cruise. But it wasn't what they wanted. They wanted and booked the Monarch. Maybe a sea day was what they wanted instead of another stop.

I understand the concept of making lemonade out of lemons. I get that. But most people choose their cruise for specific reasons and aren't as flexible for change.

Sorry, no extra day at sea on the Monarch. I saill the Monarch a lot, would much prefer the Majesty. However, it seems that the OP lives in the same area as I do. So basically, the ship is chosen because of demographics. Monarch goes to CocoCay, and Majesty goes to Key West in place of CocoCay. Both have exact same schedules except for that.

We booked on the Monarch of the Seas 10 days ago and today (4 days before we sail) RCCL called to say that they apologize but they have overbooked this cruise so we have 3 choices.

1. Cruise on same date but out of Miami on the Majesty for an upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC

2. Cruise on Monarch but on another date for upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC

3. Full refund.

Well DH can only get off this coming week so that narrowed our choices down but it sucks that we now have a 4 and a half hour drive (one way) as opposed to a 2 hour drive (one way).

I guess this is how RCCL treats loyal Emerald customers ..... this makes us rethink our cruise future with the company.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. A 4 hour drive is nothing.

Sorry, no extra day at sea on the Monarch. I saill the Monarch a lot, would much prefer the Majesty. However, it seems that the OP lives in the same area as I do. So basically, the ship is chosen because of demographics. Monarch goes to CocoCay, and Majesty goes to Key West in place of CocoCay. Both have exact same schedules except for that.

You are totally off on this.

Majesty goes to both Coco Cay and Key West on the 4 night cruise. Monarch does have a sea day on the 4 night cruise. The difference between the 2 on the 4 night cruise is, MJ goes to KW and MN has a sea day.

But regardless, it's not about what you, me, or anyone else would want. It's about what the Op wanted, and the op went for the Monarch, not the Majesty.

She took the Majesty offer so unless she comes back and tells us exactly what made her take said offer, Im going to assume it was pleasant enough to make her make the switch.

But hey, people will still go on for weeks complaining about RCI and how they handle things without knowing all the details because thats the Cruise Critic way :cool:

Perhaps you did not read OP's response "I am still very surprised that this is how they reward loyalty to their product ...... "

Doesn't seem it was "pleasant enough". More like they OP decided that RCI are being nasty but aren't going to let

shoddy customer service ruin their holiday. BTW, the issue is not only about the compensation offer .

It's also about kicking off a client by overbooking in the first place.

Perhaps someday RCI will be pleasant enough to you.

If RCI would have handled it in the manner I suggested, the OP would not have posted at all, so, as we see, the OP was not at all happy with the changes in their plans, and posted her displeasure with RCI ..... which could easily have been avoided with a customer service department with professionalism and class.

It ain't rocket science.

As a frequent reader of the boards of several different lines, I have read very few complaints about RCI overbooking their cruises, but many about Princess and a few other lines. I think that Princess' problem is that they place an overreliance on their computer models which suggest that a certain number of bookings will be cancelled before the ship sails and when those cancellations don't match the computer's projections, they have an overbooking problem and have to contact passengers to offer them a change in cruise dates to correct the situation. In this day and age, however, I think that inadvertant overbooking should never happen and any line which is guilty of such actions is due serious criticism. I don't see that "loyalty" plays any significant role in the process nor do I think that customer service representatives should provide anything other than great service. Anything less, regardless of the line, is unacceptable.

I totally agree with this. When I book a cruise, I am picking the ship I WANT. I"m sailing Explorer in Sept - if RCCL called me and told me they were overbooked and I had to switch to Enchantment out of Baltimore - I would say no way :eek: Not because it's a 3 hour ride from my house instead of a 1/2 hour ride to Bayonne, but because I WANT to go on Explorer, not Enchantment :rolleyes: If I wanted Enchantment I would have booked that in the first place. She chose how to spend her vacation $$ - this shouldn't have happened!

I'm confused with why everyone thinks the OP deserves 300-$500 OBC for a cruise that is 3 nights and they probably spend $200pp. RCL is already upgrading their room, giving them an OBC and they are going to Key West which costs more in taxes for the cruise line. The only justified complaint is if they Majesty price was going for less than the Monarch on that sailing date.

Hey wait a minute: Royal overbooked the cruise.

The customer didn't do anything wrong, so they can ask for whatever they want. Royal will either say yes or no. I guess it depends on how many people have already said no as to how much Royal wants to give out to compensate for their own mistake.

I wouldn't think it was unfair if Royal gave them the cruise for free. Maybe Royal shouldn't book cabins that are not really available. Then they won't have to worry about how to compensate an unhappy customer.

Archived