What makes Norwegian special to you?

satchiesmom

We will be going on our 8th NCL cruise in about 16 weeks and there are so many reasons we keep coming back. But the #1 reason has to be Freestyle! No assigned dining times, no assigned dining table or table mates, no stuffy dress code, etc.

Also their service has been top notch every time. We love the entertainment usually, we love the ships, we always have such a great time.

Enjoy!

We're thinking about booking our first Norwegian cruise, having only cruised Celebrity and HAL. What is that special something about Norwegian that brings you back again?

Susan

Now that other lines offer 'anytime' dining choice, the main thing we like about NCL is no formal attire is ever required.

For us it is the layed back relaxing feeling you get when you step onboard.

Although other cruise lines offer "my time or any time dining" it is not the same as it is only for a few passengers and not all. I have read on to many of the boards where people tried to book "my time" and were told it was full up.

The staff and crew are wonderful. Seems like they bend over backwards to make sure you have everything you need or want.

Although DH and I enjoy getting dressed up once in a while, I do not enjoy it on my vacations. Never have. Some do though. NCL gives everyone what they want.

Since you have cruise with the other lines, it will seem different to you. So go with an open mind and relax a bit Go with the flow and have fun

We started cruising in 2010 and did 2 cruises so far. Choosing the right company for us did me spent ours searching on the internet. Vacation for us is casual clothing and variety in restaurants. That brought us to NCL, and there freestyle concept is just what we were looking for. One evening you wanne dine at 6pm and the other night at 8.30 pm. And always the opportunity to dress casual. Other lines offer anytime dining bur the majoriy on the ship cruise the old fashened way. At NCL everyone has freestyle dining. For me it feels like being in a small village and wandering where you gonne eat that night and what kind of food your in the mood for ( italian, french, steakhouse, chinese, brazilian. sushi, tepanyaki, buffet, MDR or comferd food at blue lagoon) you name it. The 2nd cruise we were in a SC suite, the suitelife was wonderfull and we are spoiled for ever! Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney,s is a very nice perk.

Off course we have no other cruise lines to compare with, but if freestyle and casual clothing is what your looking for, I guess NCL is the one for you.

Johanna

Gosh, great answers everybody, just what I was wanting to hear, especially about the service since that is important to us. The variety of dining options is awesome too. I definitely plan to go with an open mind and enjoy what NCL has to offer. Thanks so much.

It has been our experience that NCL's "Freestyle Concept" pertains to much more than dining options and choices. The Freestyle Concept enhances the entire cruise experience. At first glance at an NCL ship, the ship screams fun and exciting with the amazing hull art. There is also a stress free atmosphere aboard these ships. Dress up, or not. No clocks, no worries. That's what vacation should be all about and you will find this on any ship in the NCL fleet.

We're thinking about booking our first Norwegian cruise, having only cruised Celebrity and HAL. What is that special something about Norwegian that brings you back again?

Susan

Without hesitation or even taking more than a second to think about it....THE CREW and the feel....I feel great when I get on any cruise ship but when I get on a Norwegian ship, it's even BETTER...and I believe it's because of the crew.

:D

THE CREW!! They are so friendly.

Freestyle - love not being tied to a timetable - dine whenever and wherever. Love the variety of restaurants (I don't care about upcharges - I budget it in for vacations) but I enjoyed the MDR's as well.

Some will say that service in the dining room suffers with Freestyle. It's true, the waiter won't know your name or that you like lemon in your water and, if you go at peak times, you might have to wait a few minutes for a table. You won't be dining at the same time with the same group of people every night.

We've always had good service in the MDR and we find that there are many more advantages than disadvantages. We eat when and where we want and we're not forced to sit with people we have nothing in common with. We don't have to take extra clothes for those formal nights or feel out of place because we're not dressed up enough. We always factor into the cost of the cruise eating at a couple of the specialty restaurants too. It's great to have so many choices.

We didn't cruise for a number of years and, after experiencing NCL, we were hooked again. I really missed the Freestyle concept on a recent Carnival cruise. We booked very late and had to take late sitting for dinner. We were always hungry before 815PM and ended up at the buffet most nights. How I missed Freestyle!

Susan

As Hikini says - it's really about Freestyle - no assgned dining times or tables or dining companions, no need to dress up. The relaxed atmosphere is what keeps us coming back.

1. The crew, staff and officers. Their attitudes are outstanding.

I'd sailed another line before and lack of customer service from Corporate to Crew was what had turned me off to cruising, I assumed that all lines were like that. A good attitude will keep me coming back as a customer anywhere and that's what draws me in.

2. Freestyle dining.

I in no way shape, form or fashion can I understand being told when to eat and who to eat with. Not having to do that allows me to be able to enjoy cruising too, it's a make or break for me.

So those are my reasons. :)

Opening dining and casual dress, as others have said.

I'm really only chiming in to add one thing: I was a little concerned that people might take the "casual" thing too far and show up for dinner in ratty T-shirts and such. People seemed to understand they were still on a cruise and there was some notion as to what's OK and what's not.

There was one "formal or not" night on our recent Jewel cruise and another night -- second to last, I think, when lots of cruises have a second formal night -- when a fair number of people dressed up a bit. But well over half were dressed like us: jeans and a decent shirt.

Jim

I agree with the post that said something about "casual" dress being taken a little too far too casual. The relaxed "dress code" on NCL is resort casual. It is ok to wear clean, nice jeans to the dining room and a clean, respectable shirt. Nothing holey or ratty, not your swimsuit, etc.

There used to be signs in the 2 MDR's that said (something to this affect) "Please, no jeans, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room after 5pm. Thank You." But that sign has disappeared in the last 2-3 years.

No matter what the dress code is, or what the establishment asks, there are people who will push the limits. DH & I like to play by the rules, and that takes me back to one of the reasons we love NCL so much - the casual dress code which doesn't require us to get all gussied up if we don't want to.:D

Opening dining and casual dress, as others have said.

I'm really only chiming in to add one thing: I was a little concerned that people might take the "casual" thing too far and show up for dinner in ratty T-shirts and such. People seemed to understand they were still on a cruise and there was some notion as to what's OK and what's not.

There was one "formal or not" night on our recent Jewel cruise and another night -- second to last, I think, when lots of cruises have a second formal night -- when a fair number of people dressed up a bit. But well over half were dressed like us: jeans and a decent shirt.

Jim

Jim,

That was a concern for us also, I'm glad to read that people don't take the casual thing too far. DH will be delighted to know that he doesn't have to wear even a sport coat!

Susan

Why do we always come back to NCL?

In three words "Whenever" and "or not".

In other words, no regimentation.

NCL also seems to treat the buffet as a bona fide restaurant in and of itself, not just an alternative to the "real" ones. And they have the best service up there: friendly and efficient self-service. :)

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

For DH and I, it is the freestyle atmosphere, the suite perks, the great choices in restaurants, buffets and MDRs. The staff are always pleasant and more than willing to help you with anything you need.

We love how NCL takes the ships seriously. We are always seeing someone cleaning something; whether it is running the vaccuum, polishing the brass or washing the windows.

We have never sailed another line other than NCL and every time we have looked at other lines, we always come back to NCL.

The 2 main things are the ability to decide when to eat that day and the entertainment, particularly the Epic was fantastic.

There were some things I liked on RCCL as well, but NCL is a better fit for me

I've only cruised on RCCL and just off RCCL's Allure (biggest ship) and wanting to try NCL Breakaway, is it going to be like the Epic or can anyone tell me what the breakaway will have, any waterslides, etc. for kids, 16, 14, 12, 10? What about entertainment, do you have to make a reservation or just show up, are there plenty of activities to do? What about suite perks, what suite perks do you usually get? I know nothing about NCL cabins, what is the best balcony or suite to get, one that holds two people and maybe one cabin that holds 6 people? Thanks, pls convince me to try NCL, sounds good so far, can someone who has been on rccl and ncl compare and give me your thoughts? :)

Archived