Puerto Rico embarkation - Give me the scoop

sbnuggie

Howdy,

Just starting the planning for next years mother day cruise (may 12 2013). we've got it narrowed down to 4 cruises one of which is the Valor from San Juan. I would like some input on embarkation pre cruise stay and debarkation. The cruise itself doesn't leave until 10pm which I read is due to the late arrivals of airplanes. Aside from that what are your general thoughts and opinions? We always fly in a day or two early so this looks to be a good place to tour. But I would value any input. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... I apologize fer ne spellng miztakes as itz hard to type on dis little fone

Just returned from our cruise on the Victory, loved the cruise. We flew in two days early and stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Yes it is rather expense but right across from the port and walked our luggage right over. If I could make one suggestion it would be to take the Flavors of San Juan Tour. It was excellent. A walking tour about the history and culture as well as a visit to four restaurants for PR cuisine. You also get a "real" pina colada and Mojito. Not a rum drinker but I have to admit they were great. Loved, Loved, Loved this tour as did the rest of our group ages 20 - 65. We walked over to the ship at 12 noon and went immediately on. It was great to have rooms all ready so we could drop off our carry-ons. You can get back off the ship, we chose not to this time as long as you return by 8pm. Drill was at 9:30. They started disembarktion at 7:30 am we were #1 but friends #16 as we did not have return flights until 2:30pm we stayed until there number was called. It was a rather slow process after #1 was called #16 not called until after 10:30am. This is the second time we have done this cruise and would book again without thought.

Do the Bacardi tour! It is fantabulous!! Free tour it is a ride through the plant and a walk through the museum and did I mention Free Bacardi drinks for all as you tour (unlimited). It was hilarious when we went there everyone was very happy..... Gee I wonder why? Lol it was also educational as well. The kids loved it too they make non-alcoholic drinks for them and again all free!

Do the Bacardi tour! It is fantabulous!! Free tour it is a ride through the plant and a walk through the museum and did I mention Free Bacardi drinks for all as you tour (unlimited). It was hilarious when we went there everyone was very happy..... Gee I wonder why? Lol it was also educational as well. The kids loved it too they make non-alcoholic drinks for them and again all free!

Unlimited free drinks? We've taken that tour and they gave us 3 coo puns (to quote Ron White) 1 per drink.

Our tour was maybe 5 years ago, when was yours?

Unlimited free drinks? We've taken that tour and they gave us 3 coo puns (to quote Ron White) 1 per drink.

We did it last year, and it was 2 free drinks if i remember right.

Howdy,

Just starting the planning for next years mother day cruise (may 12 2013). we've got it narrowed down to 4 cruises one of which is the Valor from San Juan. I would like some input on embarkation pre cruise stay and debarkation. The cruise itself doesn't leave until 10pm which I read is due to the late arrivals of airplanes. Aside from that what are your general thoughts and opinions? We always fly in a day or two early so this looks to be a good place to tour. But I would value any input. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... I apologize fer ne spellng miztakes as itz hard to type on dis little fone

We have done this twice, three times if you count our first cruise where we didn't know much. :) What we do, is leave the hotel when they kick us out, aka check out time. Go straight to the pier, get in line check in eat lunch and we have been in our room as early as 1215. Then we drop off the hand luggage, get off the ship and it's like an extra port day in Old San Juan. Just make sure you get back to the ship on time. It might not leave until 10 pm, but you might have to be on for the drill etc by 8 or 830.

It is a great place to spend a few extra days either before or after the cruise. We haven't ever rented a car, driving there is too scarey.

Another great thing we did in Puerto Rico is the Segway tour- about 2+ hours along coast, sights I never saw when just docked there, and best part "parking" the Segway right at the entrance to el Morro -no climbing the long hill inclimb. Very enjoyable, fun and easy for a first time Segway user (they train and practice each person prior to tour). Plus a small 4-6 person group per guide, and let you actually move on them -no "turtle setting" (you must be 100-260lb, not pregnant and max age 65..

If desire there is a shorter 45 min city tour only- but we really enjoyed Segways and 2 hours we wanted to do it again. Look up Segwaytourspr.

2214094540103372150S500x500Q85.jpg 2293861100103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

The cruise itself doesn't leave until 10pm which I read is due to the late arrivals of airplanes.

I think it's also due to the fact that the first port, St. Thomas, is so close to San Juan. We're doing this itinerary on the Victory in the fall. We did an RC Eastern Caribbean cruise 3 years ago, which originated in Baltimore, and the first port (after a sea day) was Puerto Rico. We were in San Juan from 2:00 to 11:00 PM and scheduled to arrive in St. Thomas at 7:00 the next morning. (Our RC ship 3 years ago was actually in port with the Victory in San Juan and St. Thomas.)

Even though the cruise leaves port late in the evening, I think it's still good to arrive the day before. There aren't that many flights into San Juan, and if things go wrong, they can go very wrong. I'm coming from Phoenix, and there are no direct flights. About the fastest route I've seen is 10 hours, but the one we chose is over 14 hours (due to a long layover). As you're coming from CA, I imagine you'll find the same issues. If you don't want to arrive late in the evening (10:00 or 11:00 PM) you'll have to take a redeye the night before.

As I mentioned, we were in San Juan 3 years ago and took an organized tour then, so this time we're playing it by ear. We're staying near the airport the night before, but there's a beach nearby, so that's where we'll probably spend our afternoon. The next day, we'll check out about noon and then take a taxi to the port and get checked in as early as we can. Once our cabins are ready, we'll drop off our bags and then explore the old port area. There is a lot to do and see right within walking distance of the ship. I'm guessing we'll have about 5 hours (3:00 - 8:00 or so), but I don't think we'll take all that time.

We're planning to take an extra day at the end of the cruise rather than race to the airport with everyone else getting off the ship. We want to see the rainforest (since the port time on our cruise 3 years ago was too late to really do anything there), so we're going to rent a car. Our flights home don't leave until afternoon, so we have the following morning to explore as well if we need it.

Just returned from our cruise on the Victory, loved the cruise. We flew in two days early and stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Yes it is rather expense but right across from the port and walked our luggage right over. If I could make one suggestion it would be to take the Flavors of San Juan Tour. It was excellent. A walking tour about the history and culture as well as a visit to four restaurants for PR cuisine. You also get a "real" pina colada and Mojito. Not a rum drinker but I have to admit they were great. Loved, Loved, Loved this tour as did the rest of our group ages 20 - 65. We walked over to the ship at 12 noon and went immediately on. It was great to have rooms all ready so we could drop off our carry-ons. You can get back off the ship, we chose not to this time as long as you return by 8pm. Drill was at 9:30. They started disembarktion at 7:30 am we were #1 but friends #16 as we did not have return flights until 2:30pm we stayed until there number was called. It was a rather slow process after #1 was called #16 not called until after 10:30am. This is the second time we have done this cruise and would book again without thought.

We also stayed at the Sheraton last year before we cruised and it was great to just walk down the street to the pier. Went to the roof top pool and watched the Victory come in that morning.We had a 7 P.M. flight out when we disembarked and they let us store our luggage there when we got back even though we weren't spending the night, they told us just to bring it to the hotel until we were ready to go to the airport. I'd stay there again.

I loved the cruise on the Victory. Keep in mind, the cruise out of San Juan isn't going to be typical of a cruise because of embarkation. Yes, you can start checking in about 10:30--I can't remember the exact time, but I know I have a thread on it here somewhere. Boarding started at about noon. But with a typical cruise, the Lido deck gets very busy very fast because everyone is getting on and heading up for something to eat, and it's hard to find someplace to sit sometimes. Not so on Victory. There is plenty of places to sit all afternoon, it's much more relaxed and casual.

Then dinner in the MDR the first night is also more relaxed and casual, similar to YTD; they will take you to the next available table, so you won't be eating at your regular table with your regular table mates and regular wait staff.

Nice info, thanks all for the help, so to clarify:

On embarkation day, you are allowed to check in, get on ship, drop off luggage, eat lunch at "normal times" from 1230 on but you are more or less required to be back by 8pm or so for safety drill and then sail away.

I was worried that we would be kicked out of hotel by 11am, then we would have to lug the luggage around for 6 hours to wait for embarkation at say 5pm or something. This sounds like a great way to do it, some of our party can stay on board and lounge, play in the pools etc while others go shopping.

It looks like the valor will be replacing the victory for this itinerary. Anyone know when that will be happening?

I personally hate cruises out of Puerto Rico. The companys sell out at rock bottom prices extra cabins to the locals who come on in herds and stay in herds. The times we have sailed out of Puerto Rico one swimming pool was totally taken over. And when it came time to leave, Puerto Ricans filled the stairwells so you could hardly get by and refused to wait in the lounges. Not only that, but the entertainers often spoke in Spanish and so much was aimed at that audience that most people were complaining about it. I have nothing against Puerto Ricans or any other nationality. This is simply what happened on the 3 ships that I embarked from San Juan and on all three there was much resentment by the non-Puerto Rican passengers. Perhaps my experience is not what others have experienced.

I personally hate cruises out of Puerto Rico. The companys sell out at rock bottom prices extra cabins to the locals who come on in herds and stay in herds. The times we have sailed out of Puerto Rico one swimming pool was totally taken over. And when it came time to leave, Puerto Ricans filled the stairwells so you could hardly get by and refused to wait in the lounges. Not only that, but the entertainers often spoke in Spanish and so much was aimed at that audience that most people were complaining about it. I have nothing against Puerto Ricans or any other nationality. This is simply what happened on the 3 ships that I embarked from San Juan and on all three there was much resentment by the non-Puerto Rican passengers. Perhaps my experience is not what others have experienced.

We have cruised out of San Juan four times and will again in November. We really enjoy San Juan and even more love the islands you can visit by leaving from San Juan. Because I am in education, we cruise during holiday times and cruises are sailing full. That may explain the difference in our experiences from San Juan.

We are doing the Victory again in November, did it last year and loved it. All shows were in English and we had no real issues. This year we are arriving a day early and staying at SOFO Casablanca. You can check in, drop things off in your cabin and then get back off again to explore.

We have cruised out of San Juan four times and will again in November. We really enjoy San Juan and even more love the islands you can visit by leaving from San Juan. Because I am in education, we cruise during holiday times and cruises are sailing full. That may explain the difference in our experiences from San Juan.

Good to hear! We are cruising out of San Juan next spring break (3/31). I'm thinking it too will be full way before sail date. :confused::o

It looks like the valor will be replacing the victory for this itinerary. Anyone know when that will be happening?

I had heard February. I just tried to doublecheck the dates on the Carnival website, and they seem to be having a computer glitch. Both the Victory and Valor are showing the same dates.

Went 2 years ago and I remember more than three. Yes they gave coupons, but you can go right up to the person giving the drinks and they give them to you without the tics.

In 2011 we sailed out of San Juan after school was out. This cruise ended up being a quinceanera cruise. We did get annoyed a few times but didn't let it ruin our cruise. Last month we sailed earlier in the month and we enjoyed it much better. We love the southern caribbean islands.

We went this past February and absolutely loved it! I did hate the LOOOOONG plane ride to PR from Iowa, but it was worth it. Yesterday a group of us booked the same itinerary but on the Valor for February 2014. I have a friend who lives in PR so it is always special when we get there because of her. We also did the Bacardi tour and it was informational and yes, 2 coupons, but they are free.:D;)

In 2011 we sailed out of San Juan after school was out. This cruise ended up being a quinceanera cruise. We did get annoyed a few times but didn't let it ruin our cruise. Last month we sailed earlier in the month and we enjoyed it much better. We love the southern caribbean islands.

Anytime you have large groups, you can run into rude, thoughtless people, who think because they are in a large group they can do whatever they want, so it is not a nationality or race, it is just rude people. We went on Thanksgiving cruise in 2010 on Imagination-most romantic cruise ever-then 2011, same cruise with rude, loud, obnoxious people that give

rednecks a bad name. For the rednecks reading this-I live and was raised in the South, so you know I love my redneck friends!! These people on the 2011 cruise were just plain jerks.

I have done 2 cruises from San Juan and absolutely loved them! My favorites, by far. Bein in San Juan before the cruise sets the mood for a wonderful cruise. The people are friendly, Old San Juan beyond beautiful - cobblestone streets, balconies overflowing with flowers, painted stucco, salsa music.....ahhhhhh. As for "the locals" - that will happen in any port. Obviously easy access to the port will create more locals on any cruise. We didn't have an issue on either cruise. It will be what you make of it. Go with an open mind and be ready for a wonderful experience!

We are leaving on the Victory July 15th. We were going to fly in one day early, the the fares went up and we decided it was cheaper to go one day earlier and pay for one more hotel night. So...we are there two days early and staying one extra night. Hope it is not too much...but my DH really wanted to spend some time in San Juan. Utilzing some of my SPG points ... which turned out to be more of a hassle than I thought, but that is a thread in and of itself.

This tour sounds great! How do I book it? How would you rate the cost? $ , $$, $$$, $$$$? I am searching all threads Victory...so any other suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Went 2 years ago and I remember more than three. Yes they gave coupons, but you can go right up to the person giving the drinks and they give them to you without the tics.

Wish I'd known that.

However in retrospect maybe it was better I didn't know that. My wife gave me her three coo puns, and a little old lady who didn't want to be alone and asked if she could accompany us, gave me her three. So my nine drinks were enough to make me think "man, is this ship bouncing" as we drove back in the bus. :D

I cannot recommend this cruise enough! (As you can see from my signature, we've certainly done it enough :p so I might be biased, though!)

Seriously, if you enjoy taking extra time on either end of your cruise, this is a wonderful port to do it in, as so many have mentioned already. We love just walking around the old city, taking in the atmosphere, but also like Buffetfan, we, too, took the Segway tour (several times) and enjoyed it immensely. And I second those that mentioned staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Sure, it's a little more pricey, but to be able to be in the heart of everything is well worth it.

If you're interested in reading about our experiences cruising out of San Juan, I posted reviews on two of our Victory cruises (which might be the Valor by the time you sail), links below. Hope they help!

Archived