Canaletto Restaurant

lenquixote66

We ate at Canaletto on the Westerdam 5/26 sailing. the food was fair and the choices were limited to basic Italian food. the service was excellent. However, there were very few customers. When we sailed on the Eurodam in January, there was not a charge and it was difficult to get a reservation. Holland America either has to drop the charge or improve the food quality

We just got home from our cruise on the Amsterdam (fabulous cruise!) and I haven't even unpacked yet, but am slowly re-engaging in "real life"...

We ate at the Canaletto one night...and weren't all that impressed. Food was OK...but not something we'd go back to, charge or no charge (it was free on the Amsterdam).

The Pinnacle, on the other hand..... wow. Fabulous! (But then the food in the MDR was pretty darned good, for the most part, too! About only thing I wasn't all that impressed with were desserts...but then, I'm' not a big dessert eater..)

• 4 weeks later...

Will be on Veendam next month and might try Canaletto.

I've heard some say that they needed reservations and some said not. Can someone clarify?

And is there a dress code in this restaurant since it's in the Lido?

Will be on Veendam next month and might try Canaletto.

I've heard some say that they needed reservations and some said not. Can someone clarify?

And is there a dress code in this restaurant since it's in the Lido?

Reservations are always a good idea - you can 'walk in' if they have room but there is no guarantee.

Dress code is the same as the Lido although I have seen some dress up more there:)

Does the Canaletto have set hours? Is it open only for dinner and then used as part of the Lido during the day?

Only for dinner, it's used as Lido seatig the rest of the day, then closed off at night. Much the way Princess has done it for so long in their buffet area.

Only for dinner, it's used as Lido seatig the rest of the day, then closed off at night. Much the way Princess has done it for so long in their buffet area.

Would the dinner hours be the same as the MDR? I ask because we are thinking about taking a cabin directly under Canaletto and wondered about very late night noise.

We like Caneletto as an alternative to the MDR and the Pinnacle. (No, it's not fine Italian food, and I've never eaten in Olive Garden. We do go to a lot of fine Italian restaurants at home.) We've enjoyed Caneletto on Maasdam and will try it on Veendam next week, but I don't think I would pay $10 to eat there.

Well, we did try Caneletto on the Veendam in June and had a very disappointing experience. The waiter got my order completely wrong , and it had to be re ordered. DH's lasagna was so bad that he left it all. We left before dessert.I don't think we will try that again.

Not sure why everyone is so down on the Caneletto..DW and I enjoyed it very much. But then, we also enjoy the Olive Garden.;)

Agree'd, we just got off the Amsterdam today and we ate there 3 nights, all were very good!

Archived