Canaletto Restaurant

lenquixote66

Another idea might be to raise the price to say $15 and upgrade the food to real Italian. One problem seems to be that so many don't even like it when it's free. Very very few posters are saying they would pay extra for what they are serving now, yet HAL seems to want to charge.

Very true.

We were so disappointed on the food in the canaletto on the Maasdam that I don't see us trying it on another ship.

What a delight....a thread that we can all "agree to agree"...that Canaletto leaves much to be desired!

This might be a 1st here on Cruise Critic! :cool:

Guess I will upset the apple cart! I've only eaten twice in the Canaletto (Eurodam & Zuiderdam) but liked it. Service very slow but it was a sea day-nowhere else to go in a hurry! Food was good. I'd try it once paying $10 just to break up a cruise (husband doesn't enjoy the Pinnacle) but hope they do improve service level.

Is there a charge for the Canaletto restaurant on the Veendam ?

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO lenquixote66:I got off the Veendam a couple of weeks ago. There was no charge for dinner at Canaletto. You do need a reservation due to limited space. My wife and I enjoyed eating there. The food was good and the service was good. Go, enjoy.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO lenquixote66:I got off the Veendam a couple of weeks ago. There was no charge for dinner at Canaletto. You do need a reservation due to limited space. My wife and I enjoyed eating there. The food was good and the service was good. Go, enjoy.

Thanks for the response .

How could you possibly glorify the Lido? :D:D

I know, have a fire pit for us to walk barefoot in!

For a change of pace I guess paying for it wouldn't be bad if you're on a 10+ day cruise, but less than that there is a fine enough variety of food in the MDR.

Silly story about inexpensive Italian food.

I used to write an internet "humor" column called Matt Matters on a wrestling website (the now defunct TheWrestlerOnline.com) and our site got into the WWF (it was still called that @ the time) Rage party in Philly at a discount rate than the regular price (like $5-10 off the $50 ticket). The party was being pimped out as there will be a caterer there, so it was all you could eat, meet the stars and a bunch of bands... the caterer was Chef Boy-ar-Dee and the food was they cracking open the largest cans of ravioli made. :eek: There is no way a human could stomach eating 1/8th the ticket price we paid of Chef Boy-ar-Dee food! :eek:

So in comparison to that food fiasco, I guess the $10 on board isn't too bad.

Derek

ok Canaletto may not be a 4 star Itilian resturant but food is good and I would pay 10 dollars, I would not eat in the Olive garden but we had 2 nice meals at Canaletto just a few weeks ago on the Veendam. ( we go to a lot of Itilian resturants )

We like Caneletto as an alternative to the MDR and the Pinnacle. (No, it's not fine Italian food, and I've never eaten in Olive Garden. We do go to a lot of fine Italian restaurants at home.) We've enjoyed Caneletto on Maasdam and will try it on Veendam next week, but I don't think I would pay $10 to eat there.

Seems to me that if they are going to charge for Canaletto, and expect it to be well received, they will have to "take it up a knotch or two".....better food, some flair, etc.

Charging for it as it is and not making some changes is not likely to be wildly successful, IMO.

NCL has some specialty pretty ordinary restaurants where there is an upcharge. but with them, anything is better than their MDR. Not so with HAL.

Seems to me that if they are going to charge for Canaletto, and expect it to be well received, they will have to "take it up a knotch or two".....better food, some flair, etc.

Charging for it as it is and not making some changes is not likely to be wildly successful, IMO.

NCL has some specialty pretty ordinary restaurants where there is an upcharge. but with them, anything is better than their MDR. Not so with HAL.

Now your comment on NCL is very true according to my retired TA. She was a HUGE fan of NCL and in fact that is the line we started cruising with.

she couldn't believe how much the food had deteriorated in the MDR.

She will never sail on the line again. HAL offers a lot of wonderful things that can be taken for granted until you move to other lines.

My next ship is the Prinsendam and they don't have one. I know they were hoping to - and if they do - I'm pretty sure it will be stepped up a notch.

I'd try it on that ship - but have not been moved to try it on the others.

We went to Bermuda on Veendam last year and went to Caneletto. We enjoyed the food and thought the service was excellent. We also liked the atmosphere of the restaurant, the gondola theme, the cotton candy for dessert. We are booked on Veendam to Bermuda again the last week of June and we are looking forward to another great dinner at Caneletto.

this is all good news for us since we should have no problem booking Canaletto at the last moment since we will be one of the few people there

We like Caneletto as an alternative to the MDR and the Pinnacle. (No, it's not fine Italian food, and I've never eaten in Olive Garden. We do go to a lot of fine Italian restaurants at home.) We've enjoyed Caneletto on Maasdam and will try it on Veendam next week, but I don't think I would pay $10 to eat there.

We went to Bermuda on Veendam last year and went to Caneletto. We enjoyed the food and thought the service was excellent. We also liked the atmosphere of the restaurant, the gondola theme, the cotton candy for dessert. We are booked on Veendam to Bermuda again the last week of June and we are looking forward to another great dinner at Caneletto.

Everyone else has said it better. We did the MDR thing on our first cruise and it was ok - the experience wasn't amazing, but we did enjoy our dinners. When we travelled on the Rotterdam - we discovered the Canelletto and really enjoyed it. On the Oosterdam - we never did dine in the MDR - we went to the Lido and Caneletto. Our one evening in the Oosterdam Pinnacle was not as great as what it was hyped up to be. On our next cruise we will go to the MDR and the Lido AND Caneletto - depending on what mood we are in.

Just remember - that everyone has different food tastes, likes and dislikes. Just because someone else doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are wrong. Thank heavens we are all different, it would be a very boring world if we were alike.

SMILE - :D - it always confuses an oncoming frown!

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I hear on sail away there is a special meal offered to mariners is that on main dining room.

It's not so much a "special" meal as it is a normal dining room luncheon. It's a substantial meal, served, and in a quiet atmosphere.

Anyone have a menu?

Is it good on Noordam.

I hear on sail away there is a special meal offered to mariners is that on main dining room.

This is the menu we have had on Embarkation for several different ships the last couple of years:

2001.JPG

2011.JPG

2021.JPG

Sorry -- I don't have the dessert menu as we skipped that.

This is the menu we have had on Embarkation for several different ships the last couple of years:

2001.JPG

2011.JPG

2021.JPG

Sorry -- I don't have the dessert menu as we skipped that.

Somehow, we have missed the Mariner's lunch for several years KK, amazing to see some of the same things are still there (like the Reuben:))

You are just a fount of info - thank you so much.

And congratulations on your new milestone:D:D as you come to your 60,000 posts - thanks for all of your help to everyone

Archived