Favourite Places to eat

xcal185

I guess you could call me a food-aholic. Love eating at "out of the way places" where the locals eat. What are your favourite places to eat in Skagway,Ketchikan and Juneau and what do you recommend? I'm not interested in 5 star restaurants. Just places where you can get a good local flavoured meal and a nice cold beer !

Thanks

On our first cruise to Alaska, we took the ferry from Skagway to Haines. It was such a nice change in that Haines doesn't attract a lot of the big stores that are in the major ports. It felt less touristy. We ate lunch at the Bamboo Room after an invigorating morning of kayaking on Chilkoot Lake. The dungeness crab was delicious.

If you want out of the way and local then try the Sandbar in Juneau. Heard about it on these boards. Visited there in May. Excellent halibut. Very no frills and very locals only. You will need a car to get there though.

We love Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Literally a food cart w/picnic table under a tarp on the pier next to the library/parking garage. Exellent crablegs, crab cakes and crab soup. Pricey, but worth every penny!

Also love the reindeer sausage from the food cart on the corner at the traffic light in Sitka! Yum!

I can sympathize completely! I think the best local find I had on our cruise was The Island Pub in Douglas, just across the Gastineau Strait from Juneau. We had some of the finest pizza I've ever had there, accompanied by a very respectable beer list. An interesting side note: every year they have a competition that they open to the public to find the best pizza topping recipes. They put the winners on their menu. We chose a couple of these recipes (the Pork-a-Pine and the Napolitano Alfredo) and they were real winners! It's definitely a locals-only place - they rarely see cruise ship visitors since they're off the beaten path, but the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Duncan

We ate at Hot Bites in Juneau, which is a very tiny shack in the Mendenhall Glacier area along the water, so you will need your own transportation to get to it. I highly recommend the Halibut Cheek sandwiches!

Annabelles Keg & Chowderhouse on Front Street in Ketchikan. At the end of the street that is up towards the big eagle carving. Wonderful food! Also, the Twisted Fish right by where the Mt. Roberts tramway begins in Juneau. Great halibut.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Can't wait to try some of these places out. Unfortunately We won't have time to try them all. Guess we may have to plan another trip to Alaska !

Thanks again to all that have replied

• 4 weeks later...
We love Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Literally a food cart w/picnic table under a tarp on the pier next to the library/parking garage. Exellent crablegs, crab cakes and crab soup. Pricey, but worth every penny!

Also love the reindeer sausage from the food cart on the corner at the traffic light in Sitka! Yum!

1000 % agree that Tracy's was fantastic.

Annabelles Keg & Chowderhouse on Front Street in Ketchikan. At the end of the street that is up towards the big eagle carving. Wonderful food! Also, the Twisted Fish right by where the Mt. Roberts tramway begins in Juneau. Great halibut.

We had a wonderful small Twisted Fish seafood pizza and Alaskan Amber Ale on our way back to the ship--delicious. In fact we made it a habit to stop for an Alaskan Ale at every port prior to reboarding:D

Is Tracy's some place we can walk to or do we need a ride?

Tracy's is located just off the cruise ship docks. You can walk there.

Haven't tried it yet, but it is definitely on our "must do" list when we sail in a few weeks.

Here is a link to their website, if you're a planner like me.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

Its right at the cruise ship docks downtown - next to the library/parking garage. So if your ship is docked near there, or if you are in town for anything, it will be very accessible to you. Tracy's provides wonderful eats - love, love, love it! The bisque is not to be missed, and those huge crab legs are to die for!

I can sympathize completely! I think the best local find I had on our cruise was The Island Pub in Douglas, just across the Gastineau Strait from Juneau. We had some of the finest pizza I've ever had there, accompanied by a very respectable beer list. An interesting side note: every year they have a competition that they open to the public to find the best pizza topping recipes. They put the winners on their menu. We chose a couple of these recipes (the Pork-a-Pine and the Napolitano Alfredo) and they were real winners! It's definitely a locals-only place - they rarely see cruise ship visitors since they're off the beaten path, but the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Duncan

Just to clarify, the pub doesn't have seafood. If someone's trying to get something they won't get at home, it's not going to happen there. But there are people who don't like seafood, so that would be a good stop for them. Great views and all locals.

General warning: I find service atrocious in most places in Alaska. Very nice, friendly, but little actual good service skills. If you have a tour to meet, be sure to keep an eye on your food and keep riding them. The Hot Bite is particularly notorious. They take pride is how slow their service is, seeing it as somehow proof that they're serving good food. Meanwhile, their kitchen could be set up to be much more efficient. Last time I checked, a hamburger still just takes 10 minutes to cook, so why does it take 45 to get my order? Ironically, The Sandbar, an absolute hole-in-the-wall, whose employees are obviously ex-cons, has speedy service, your order is right, and the food is delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived