Just Returned from Golden June 9 - 16

Debbie42467

Juneau Photos

deck.jpg

Mendehall Glacier from our whale watching boat.

abc5.jpg

Eagle

abc1.jpg

We must of saw over 50 bald eagles in Juneau, especially on our ride to Auke Bay. Our bus driver pointed out an area that must of had 30 eagles resting themselves.

Debbie

:)

We were on the same cruise. Welcome home. Our backsides are dragging pretty good today also!!

A couple things to add...

I saw no evidence of staggered boarding in Seattle. We arrived an hour before our scheduled time, and got in with no problem. I didn't see anyone being turned away.

The seafood buffet that you are talking about consisted mostly of shrimp, salmon, and sushi. (Unless there was a different one that we missed.) They also had a fish chowder.

The weather can change from cruise to cruise, but I thought this one was really cold, and we are from Minnesota! We wore jeans everyday and only took the sandles out when sprinting from the hot tubs back to the cabin. Next week could be a whole different story.

We thought the food was good, although buffet lines were often long, and seating hard to find except by the opening and closing door near the back deck. Brrrrr. By mid week, we were joking how you must have to come by 6 am to set up camp at a warm table for the whole day.

We too, thought the activities were lacking. During sea days, there really was nothing to do. Of course, looking at the scenery was what cruising to Alaska is all about anyway. The evenings didn't have a whole lot either compared to other cruises we have taken.

Overall, I thought the cruise was wonderful!! The ship was great and we had a wonderful time. I envy those of you who still have it coming up and looking forward to it. You will love it!!!

Now, could someone please fill my water glass and take my plate away...........

Oh yeah, I'm home and I have to do that myself.

Debbie -

Thanks for sharing the review and pictures. We'll be on the Star the end of July. I never get tired of seeing Alaska scenery and wildlife! For me, that is the entertainment on an Alaska cruise (chilly entertainment, though!)

A couple of notes.

King crab must be in season for it to be available.

We rented a car in Juneau and visited the Mendenhall Glacier and some other interesting areas around outside of town.

Be sure to ride the tram to the top of the mountain and hike around a bit. Some nice trails there.

Skagway, just say White Pass Railroad.

A couple of notes.

King crab must be in season for it to be available.

We rented a car in Juneau and visited the Mendenhall Glacier and some other interesting areas around outside of town.

Be sure to ride the tram to the top of the mountain and hike around a bit. Some nice trails there.

Skagway, just say White Pass Railroad.

FYI... we also rode up to the top of Mt. Roberts a couple of weeks ago and the trails were closed because of snow and mud. There were signs warning people that if they wanted to hike, they could, but it would be at their own risk. There were more than a few people a bit peeved because they felt they should have been told that the trails were closed before they bought their tickets.

I too was on this cruise. I had never sailed Princess before but really enjoyed it. We were lucky enough to have a Window Suite which we really loved. Even though we had no balcony (we have never had one) we could just sit on our sofa and look out the big window (no pictures though because the window was water spotted). Because of the suite we were able to eat in the Crown Grill on the first night for no cover charge. It was really good.

I really don't have a whole lot to add but did notice that this was the first cruise where we felt there wasn't a whole lot of activities. We went to several of the different trivia contests and won one of them. If you were at the one where they asked how many World Cups did Brazil win... that was the one we won. I guessed on that one and actually was correct (5 world cups)!!

We found that we enjoyed the evening activities. My dh loves the piano bar so he made himself at home there. We also saw a couple of shows. We never saw the comedian although someone told us he was funny.

Even though it was a cooooold cruise we did not mind that we had to go up on deck during Glacier Bay cruising. It wasn't too bad that day and we had great views. Debbie, your pictures are great!

Food to me was so so. I haven't cruised since 2004 on Carnival. We liked the food then. Things might have changed for them too. One night we ate in the Horizon Court because the MDR didn't appeal to us. We too had anytime dining and I would make a reservation for 6 pm on the nights we ate there. We met very nice people. The Horizon Court food was so so but my dh would say it was good (he is not very particular). Getting a table though was hard and usually we had to ask people if we could join them. Pizza was delicious! Because of our suite we were able to eat breakfast in Sabattini's. That was a wonderful perk! Such service! We had room service on the day we were in Skagway (had to be off the ship early) and on disembarkation day. Food wasn't the correct temperature (milk was luke warm on one day and kinda of cold the other. My husband's egg wasn't hot).

I ate at the seafood buffet. I vaguely remember it. I did eat the shrimp. Good. There was also a pastry buffet on the last day. We had just finished a huge breakfast and were stuffed. Two hours later we are eating delicious pastry!

In Juneau we took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and saw all the bald eagles nesting or resting on the side of the road. We hung around there til we were picked up for our whale watching with Harv and Marv. We saw lots of whales but no breaching ... just lots of tales or a small portion of their backs. In Skagway we did Chilkoot Charters and took a van up to Carcross and then the train down. Beautiful scenery. We saw a small bear about 2 years old (according to our driver) and also a mother and small cub on the way down. In Ketchican we took a ship's tour out to Totem Bight State Park. I wasn't impressed after everything I have read saying how wonderful it is. It was just ok. In Victoria we went to Butchert Gardens. Absolutely beautiful! Our bus driver also took us on a small tour of Victoria. Beautiful city.

Debbie - sorry you had such problems getting out to Seattle but at least you made the ship and had a good time. After muster I went over to the Outrigger bar to see if anyone from the roll call went there but hardly saw anyone so just walked away.

Well, this is longer than I thought. If I can answer any questions I'd be glad to do so.

edit to add: While in Ketchican we saw a trash truck that said "Satisfaction guaranteed or double your garbage back"! We thought this was hilarious. Unfortunately it was moving and I didn't have my camera out so no picture :(

I also wanted to mention that onboard the ship people were dressed in long pants and long sleeved shirts. I had brought some capris and short sleeved shirts but even on the ship it was too cold for that! Casual nights people wore jeans in the dining room. On formal night my dh just had a nice pair of slacks , long sleeved shirt and a tie . He was not out of place even though a lot of men wore sport coats.

We thought the food was good, although buffet lines were often long, and seating hard to find except by the opening and closing door near the back deck. Brrrrr. By mid week, we were joking how you must have to come by 6 am to set up camp at a warm table for the whole day. You aren't kidding. This was our 2nd Alaska cruise and this is my biggest pet peeve. I guess it can be called "Table Hogs". People hogging the tables and chairs in the Horizon Buffet when others can't find a spot to sit to eat. I even took a pic of a couple (see below). I saw lots of people reading, playing cards, or just hanging out looking out the window. There are plenty of other inside window view spots where they can go Wheelhouse Bar, outside of the Explorer Bar, or the International Cafe. It's fine if you want to sit and hang out, but please not when people can't find a table to eat at.

We too, thought the activities were lacking. During sea days, there really was nothing to do. Of course, looking at the scenery was what cruising to Alaska is all about anyway. The evenings didn't have a whole lot either compared to other cruises we have taken. I thought it was just me who felt this way.

Now, could someone please fill my water glass and take my plate away...........

Oh yeah, I'm home and I have to do that myself. LOL

Table Hogs - Couple Reading While Others Can't Find a Seat- Horizon Buffet

bb1.jpg

Debbie

I too was on this cruise. I had never sailed Princess before but really enjoyed it. We were lucky enough to have a Window Suite which we really loved. Even though we had no balcony (we have never had one) we could just sit on our sofa and look out the big window (no pictures though because the window was water spotted). Because of the suite we were able to eat in the Crown Grill on the first night for no cover charge. It was really good.

I really don't have a whole lot to add but did notice that this was the first cruise where we felt there wasn't a whole lot of activities. We went to several of the different trivia contests and won one of them. If you were at the one where they asked how many World Cups did Brazil win... that was the one we won. I guessed on that one and actually was correct (5 world cups)!!

We found that we enjoyed the evening activities. My dh loves the piano bar so he made himself at home there. We also saw a couple of shows. We never saw the comedian although someone told us he was funny.

Even though it was a cooooold cruise we did not mind that we had to go up on deck during Glacier Bay cruising. It wasn't too bad that day and we had great views. Debbie, your pictures are great!

Food to me was so so. I haven't cruised since 2004 on Carnival. We liked the food then. Things might have changed for them too. One night we ate in the Horizon Court because the MDR didn't appeal to us. We too had anytime dining and I would make a reservation for 6 pm on the nights we ate there. We met very nice people. The Horizon Court food was so so but my dh would say it was good (he is not very particular). Getting a table though was hard and usually we had to ask people if we could join them. Pizza was delicious! Because of our suite we were able to eat breakfast in Sabattini's. That was a wonderful perk! Such service! We had room service on the day we were in Skagway (had to be off the ship early) and on disembarkation day. Food wasn't the correct temperature (milk was luke warm on one day and kinda of cold the other. My husband's egg wasn't hot).

I ate at the seafood buffet. I vaguely remember it. I did eat the shrimp. Good. There was also a pastry buffet on the last day. We had just finished a huge breakfast and were stuffed. Two hours later we are eating delicious pastry!

In Juneau we took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and saw all the bald eagles nesting or resting on the side of the road. We hung around there til we were picked up for our whale watching with Harv and Marv. We saw lots of whales but no breaching ... just lots of tales or a small portion of their backs. In Skagway we did Chilkoot Charters and took a van up to Carcross and then the train down. Beautiful scenery. We saw a small bear about 2 years old (according to our driver) and also a mother and small cub on the way down. In Ketchican we took a ship's tour out to Totem Bight State Park. I wasn't impressed after everything I have read saying how wonderful it is. It was just ok. In Victoria we went to Butchert Gardens. Absolutely beautiful! Our bus driver also took us on a small tour of Victoria. Beautiful city.

Debbie - sorry you had such problems getting out to Seattle but at least you made the ship and had a good time. After muster I went over to the Outrigger bar to see if anyone from the roll call went there but hardly saw anyone so just walked away.

Well, this is longer than I thought. If I can answer any questions I'd be glad to do so.

edit to add: While in Ketchican we saw a trash truck that said "Satisfaction guaranteed or double your garbage back"! We thought this was hilarious. Unfortunately it was moving and I didn't have my camera out so no picture :(

I also wanted to mention that onboard the ship people were dressed in long pants and long sleeved shirts. I had brought some capris and short sleeved shirts but even on the ship it was too cold for that! Casual nights people wore jeans in the dining room. On formal night my dh just had a nice pair of slacks , long sleeved shirt and a tie . He was not out of place even though a lot of men wore sport coats.

Hello Dickinson,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the cruise.

I'm not a good cook, it's kind of my weakness. So I guess any dinners I don't have to cook is delicious to us. LOL

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I signed off of our roll call before I noticed the final meeting plans. We will just have to take another cruise together. LOL

We too saw a bear in Skagway. I will be posting a pic soon.

I can't express how stressed out it made me waiting in the airport not knowing if our luggage would be found. Even though the airline would of given me money to purchase items, where would I purchase them on the ship? Let's say they don't have my size. Like I said, I was stressed.

I didn't wear my capris either.

I heard that Butchert Gardens is gorgeous and the weather was much warmer in Victoria. If you took photos and if you don't mind, please post some. I would love to see them.

Take care,

Debbie

Sorry but my picture of Butchert Gardens fails to upload. I only took 4 because my battery was low and the one I am trying to upload keeps saying it failed. not sure why. I have never done this before but the other two I had no problem.

Random Photos

Ketchikan

pp1.jpg

Ketchikan

ws.jpg

ws4.jpg

The golf simulator was replaced with a portrait studio and the miniature golf is just gone.

pp.jpg

The gangways can be steep. They are not stairs. I noticed those who needed assistance with walking (walkers & wheelchairs) had difficulties. Warning the railings are cold.

pet4.jpg

BBQ Beef Brisket

brisket.jpg

The End

Debbie

Sorry but my picture of Butchert Gardens fails to upload. The one I am trying to upload keeps saying it failed. not sure why. I have never done this before but the other two I had no problem.

Check the size of the picture. The ones loaded to Cruise Critic like you are doing cannot exceed 2MB each.

I too was on this cruise. I had never sailed Princess before but really enjoyed it. In Juneau we took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and saw all the bald eagles nesting or resting on the side of the road. We hung around there til we were picked up for our whale watching with Harv and Marv. We saw lots of whales but no breaching ... just lots of tales or a small portion of their backs.

We are going on the whale watch with Harv and Marv and I was wondering just how cold it was on that boat? I am debating about not bring a really heavy jacket and just wearing a few layers under a lighter coat with scarf and gloves of course. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Barbara

Barbara, we stayed inside the boat except to go outside when we saw a whale so we could take pictures. I wore a mock turtleneck, then a long sleeved shirt. Over that I wore a lightweight fleece hoodie and then a medium weight jacket (not my warmest jacket). I also had gloves and a hat. It was a cold drizzly day.

Archived