ms Veendam - No Air-conditioning, ventilation system - Drydock April 2014

Jade13

Actually, I do not know for sure if they, the Signature and Vista Class ships do or do not share the Ventilation/HVAC with other staterooms.

Of course they do. Do you think there are 1,000+ separate HVAC systems on the ship? Even if there was room for them, the duct work would be impossible. I think tbrein misunderstood what she heard.

Of course they do. Do you think there are 1,000+ separate HVAC systems on the ship? Even if there was room for them, the duct work would be impossible. I think tbrein misunderstood what she heard.

I did not misunderstand what I heard. I was told and I verified ths with my husband tonight that the air is circulated in each individual room in the Vista and Signature Class ships. I know what I heard and Mr. Mahon was very clear in explaining it.

I did not misunderstand what I heard. I was told and I verified ths with my husband tonight that the air is circulated in each individual room in the Vista and Signature Class ships. I know what I heard and Mr. Mahon was very clear in explaining it.
So explain to me how our cabin and about 150 others spanning three decks were all in what our Noordam Captain called "Zone 1", and all got the same smoke within minutes of each other.

So explain to me how our cabin and about 150 others spanning three decks were all in what our Noordam Captain called "Zone 1", and all got the same smoke within minutes of each other.

Because maybe at some point in the system I would assume there is a common juncture where the air gets chilled but before it goes out to the individual cabins and smoke can also flow in both directions? :confused: I don't know, but this might be the possible explanation -- we need a chief engineer to tell us more about the specifications of the entire system.

Because maybe at some point in the system I would assume there is a common juncture where the air gets chilled but before it goes out to the individual cabins and smoke can also flow in both directions?
Exactly. Groups of cabins share systems. Maybe within each cabin the air can be re-cycled, something like putting your car a/c on "max" to re-circulate most of the air instead of bringing it in from outside - but we could see the smoke coming out of our vent, and it had to come from somewhere outside the room for all of us to get it together.

I don't have to explain anything because I did not make the statement. I repeated it. Call it hearsay.

You will have the chief engineer that question. That I am not. I am just telling you what was told to me. I know what I heard. If he gave me misinformation then I cannot speak to that.

If you know better, so be it. I am not going to get into an argument about HVAC systems. I'm just happy I have one in my house that works and when it doesn't I call the technician to fix it because I don't know how it works. If. You do, great.

However, I think it is quite unfair to state that I misunderstood what was said. I was sitting right next to him. My hearing is excellent and I have very good cognitive abilities. However my marine engineering skills leave a lot to be desired as I imagine so do yours and Joanie's.

Terri

As I said, maybe the air is re-circulated within the cabin to some extent, and that is probably what your chief engineer said. However, it is NOT true that it is "circulated only in the in the individual cabin" as you stated in post 5.

I started this thread yesterday, went to work (I work full time and was swamped, plus had company last night) and just came back and cannot believe some of the posts here. Some are rather insulting to a long time poster on CC.

First of all, I am just repeating what was told to me when I called HAL the other day about something completely different (another HAL cruise). I mentioned that we were recently on the Veendam repositioning cruise from South America and our AC really did not work properly (well it really did not seem to work at all and they gave us a large fan). This is from someone who does not have central air in their home and usually uses fans if needed. It was not an issue for us until we reached Panama and it was really hot.

I wanted to know when Veendam was scheduled for a dry dock (not that they will do anything about the air-conditioning). The first response I received while they were looking for the dry dock schedule was that Veendam does not have "air-conditioning" but a "ventilation system". I questioned that and was told to call Ship Services regarding the difference. I posted the information because there are other threads about this issue that I thought someone who wanted more info and had the time (many of you are retired) could call. I did not expect responses questioning "my point".

Also, some staterooms have a problem and some do not. I know this for a fact. Just because one person had no air-conditioning and someone else's was fine does not mean there is not an issue. The couple next to us, another CC member, had moved 3 times. The third move was because their cabin was too cold. They did seem to get our air-conditioning working again and took a temperature reading of 74 F as the lowest.

After half the ship got off in Florida (we were going on to NYC) they invited us to move to a Deluxe Suite (no, we never asked to move and my DH did not want to move, but I insisted we accept the invitation). I am pretty sure this gesture may have been made because they had forgotten to invite us to the Mariners brunch after I had gone to the front desk to inquire the last week of the cruise and they told me not to worry it would be before NYC. Two days later I found out we had missed it that morning because they never sent us an invitation. We never made a big deal about the air but brought it to their attention. I was not happy they forgot to invite us to the brunch but there was nothing that could be done once it was over. I only bring this up because the temperature was a lot different (very cool) in our suite near the Neptune Lounge.

I also want to make another interesting point. The temperature on Veendam is way different all around the ship, not just stateroom to stateroom. This was evident when I took the art (iPod) tour which took me around the ship in 45 minutes. When I went to the lower dining room it was freezing in front of the doors, up the staircase and forward it was very hot...The "point" I was making was that I was told the system is very different than on the newer ships (obviously) and if someone wants more information I was told that Ships Services can explain it well. I thought I was being helpful by providing the phone number, and never expected to be insulted.

Btw, we were on Veendam for 3 weeks from Santiago, Chile to NYC and are booked on Veendam again (different stateroom) next year.

I hope this post answers some of the questions.

Sorry, but your post is missing important qualifying details to leave the reader in a state of confusion. :confused: Maybe you can expand on this or explain what your point is with the bare statements you just made.

1. Told this by whom?

2 How does this explain passenger reports the A/C has been working fine?

3. How does this explain passenger reports the ship was "too cold"?

4. Why didn't you ask what was planned for dry dock?

5. Did you contact Guest Services?

6. Will you report what Guest Services told you?

Thank you.

1. Told this by whom? Just a HAL Rep that admitted someone in Ship Services could explain better.

2 How does this explain passenger reports the A/C has been working fine? It works in some cabins and not others. I was in two different staterooms on the same cruise/ship, plus took an iPod tour which had me walk around the ship in a 45 minute time span. In one area I needed a T-shirt, in another a sweater.

3. How does this explain passenger reports the ship was "too cold"? (See above). The system, whatever the technical term, is not consistent.

4. Why didn't you ask what was planned for dry dock? I had called about another cruise and I really had no time and needed to get to my office, plus I was sure the Sales Rep would not know the answer. Even HAL may not know exactly what they are doing in 2014.

5. Did you contact Guest Services? No, I have not had time.

6. Will you report what Guest Services told you? At this point I am now curious. I am not sure when I will get a chance. I think I was hoping someone else would have the time and report back, but if I find the time I will. I think the explanation is that it is an older system and technology is changing.

How can HAL expect to keep its bookings on this ship with a faulty A/C system? I certainly woyld not go on any trip without temp control of my cabin. Why wait till next April to fix it?:confused:

HAL is having no problem selling out this ship. To answer your question, her itineraries are fantastic. South America, Canada New England, and now Voyage of the Vikings.

We looked and looked and looked, and our favorite itinerary both this year and next year is on ms Veendam.

April 2014, and we don't know if they plain to do anything about the AC. I can't imagine they would leave it the way it is.

The title is confusing as well. It leads those who haven't sailed her to believe there is no a/c and/or ventilation system. I'm not sure what your definition is of "ventilation system", but the Veendam HAS A/C! As has been stated here, perhaps they intend to upgrade...just as we do at home. In fact, DH is out right now replacing/upgrading two of the window units at our inn!

It's too late for you to change that but perhaps you could ask Host Walt to correct it.

I did not realize the title would be confusing. I was trying to state in short format there is "No Air-Conditioning but a Ventilation System" instead, and then in the text say that is what I was told...Maybe I should have said "No Air-conditioning - Yes ventilation system".

I can't believe they are waiting until 2014 to put Veendam into drydock. We sailed April 22 to Bermuda and had A/C issues - the room (lower promenade, ocean view) never got cold, only cool. We had it set at the lowest setting the entire week. When we stepped into our travelling companions room on the Verandah deck, it was freezing cold. The temperature also varied greatly in the public areas, from very cold to barely cool.

We also had plumbing issues several times during the week, the worst being when we left Bermuda. We called about it and were told the problem was ship-wide. We could not flush the commode for at least an hour.

They also need to retrain the wait staff in the main dining room. Worst service we have had in 18 cruises (5 different cruise lines). The last night we did not even eat in the dining room. Did not want the aggravation of the slow, indifferent service we experienced every other night.

We knew it was an older ship and did not expect perfection, but did expect a cool room and working plumbing. We also had heard so much about the upscale dining and service and were really disappointed. This was not a very good impression for our first cruise with Holland America.

I can't believe they are waiting until 2014 to put Veendam into drydock. We sailed April 22 to Bermuda and had A/C issues - the room (lower promenade, ocean view) never got cold, only cool. We had it set at the lowest setting the entire week. When we stepped into our travelling companions room on the Verandah deck, it was freezing cold. The temperature also varied greatly in the public areas, from very cold to barely cool.

We also had plumbing issues several times during the week, the worst being when we left Bermuda. We called about it and were told the problem was ship-wide. We could not flush the commode for at least an hour.

They also need to retrain the wait staff in the main dining room. Worst service we have had in 18 cruises (5 different cruise lines). The last night we did not even eat in the dining room. Did not want the aggravation of the slow, indifferent service we experienced every other night.

We knew it was an older ship and did not expect perfection, but did expect a cool room and working plumbing. We also had heard so much about the upscale dining and service and were really disappointed. This was not a very good impression for our first cruise with Holland America.

I always find the variations interesting. We were on the Bermuda run two weeks after you were...and it was the best service we'd had on any of our cruises!

I always find the variations interesting. We were on the Bermuda run two weeks after you were...and it was the best service we'd had on any of our cruises!

I am happy you had great service. It could only improve, could not possibly have gotten any worse. We were not the only ones that experienced slow service. We saw many people get up and leave after waiting 20 - 30 minutes before anyone even bothered to come to their table.

We have always had excellent service in the main dining rooms on all our HAL ships: we have late, fixed seating and we always show up on time. This gets us started right away and it all goes smoothly from that point on. When I see people arriving much later than the set dining time they are often still waiting for the early courses when we are already out the door.

Maybe they need to emphasize getting to your fixed dining time on time? Once we had to wait until some of the surrounding diners finally arrived before the waiters took all our orders together. We felt this wasn't fair and after a few days they no longer waited for the late arrivers and all went well from that point on.

We have always had excellent service in the main dining rooms on all our HAL ships: we have late, fixed seating and we always show up on time. This gets us started right away and it all goes smoothly from that point on. When I see people arriving much later than the set dining time they are often still waiting for the early courses when we are already out the door.

Maybe they need to emphasize getting to your fixed dining time on time? Once we had to wait until some of the surrounding diners finally arrived before the waiters took all our orders together. We felt this wasn't fair and after a few days they no longer waited for the late arrivers and all went well from that point on.

I am happy you have always had excellent service. That was surely what we expected.

I never said we had fixed seating. We chose the As You Wish dining because we did not want to have to rush back to the ship for dinner.

It should not matter if you have fixed dining or not, you still pay the same price for the cruise and should expect to have the same quality of service in the dining room.

I find the HAL board very funny. The same people answer all posts the same, " I was on the same ship and all was outstanding, best in the world, so you are wrong."

Funny, the same posters always add words in their heads that were never written on the page.

I am happy you have always had excellent service. That was surely what we expected.

I never said we had fixed seating. We chose the As You Wish dining because we did not want to have to rush back to the ship for dinner.

It should not matter if you have fixed dining or not, you still pay the same price for the cruise and should expect to have the same quality of service in the dining room.

When we choose fixed dining, we don't expect anytime dining. We choose fixed dining because it has worked for us; timely and prompt.

I find the HAL board very funny. The same people answer all posts the same, " I was on the same ship and all was outstanding, best in the world, so you are wrong."

I agree I usually don't respond on the HAL board for this reason. I guess I am just bored today and thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. I was just trying to help out the OP by confirming there are AC (among other) issues on the Veendam.

good to hear - and no one says that on the other boards:rolleyes: and perhaps less politely at times;):p

I am happy you had great service. It could only improve, could not possibly have gotten any worse. We were not the only ones that experienced slow service. We saw many people get up and leave after waiting 20 - 30 minutes before anyone even bothered to come to their table.

We may have had different stewards than you did. We were at table 27 (a two top) on the upper level, fixed. We arrived at 5:45 to 6:00 and were out by 7 PM. On the Maasdam in January, our service wasn't nearly as quick. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

We may have had different stewards than you did. We were at table 27 (a two top) on the upper level, fixed. We arrived at 5:45 to 6:00 and were out by 7 PM. On the Maasdam in January, our service wasn't nearly as quick. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

Sheila,

We had table 27 as well. That is probably the best table on the ship. Were Joko and Wayu (sp) your stewards?

Terri

Archived