Can I bring a power strip for our cabin?

I'm confused....help.

As many have posted, and I also seem to remember this from our last cruise, there is only 1 outlet in our stateroom. At this day and age that is tough considering most of us today have a smart phone, plus your significant others phone, digital camera, digital video recorder & other electronics that need charging throughout the week.

I've seen people say here on the board to bring a power strip so that you can recharge your electronic gadgets throughout the cruise.

However....I've read on this board twice now how someone had their power strip confiscated as an item not allowed and I've seen a picture of one along with bottles of booze and other no-no's taken on the last day of someone's cruise awaiting their return to their owners.

So what are we to do? What can we bring that is "ok" for recharging multiple electronics?

Help?

Yes and no. Depends on the person looking at your stuff it seems.

I brought one on both times. It was new and still in the packaging so they wouldn't give me crap about it being in an unsafe condition.

Still, I saw plenty in the naughty room. I am guessing those in checked luggage are taken for some reason.

Take it in your carry on and make sure its good and new.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I keep a small 3 plug strip in my luggage that I always take. Ive never had a problem with it. I picked it up at a dollar store or somewhere. Its great because it also flips to the side if you need to plug it behind a nightstand or something.

I believe its the large strips that get taken with 8-10 extra plugs to them. The rooms are not set up for that many plugs so they tend to cause problems.

It is the luck of the draw and sometimes it makes no sense. We had an power strip taken once, all the other cruises it was fine. Lost a fan one (samll) other times it is fine. We take a bigger one now and that is fine???Our last cruise, we lent our suitcase to our daughter and a very small pair of child's safety scissors were left in the carryon. They targeted and took it saying no scissors (we got it back at the end of the cruise). There guidelines say large scissors and these were the safety ones for a 5 year old. Meanwhile when I went through the metal detector, I set it off, I had a pocketknife. I had to take it off and put it with my watch in the bowl. Knowing they just took safety scissors, I was kicking myself for not leaving it in the car. No problem with a large pocket knife. The same guy who took the safety scissors handed me a pocket knife and told me that size was allowed and gave it to me. So blunt safety scissors are a problem, but a decent size pocket knife is fine. Go figure??

I was able to take a power strip on the Fantasy last summer with no problem, think it had 5 plugs in it. I also bought a brand new one & left it in the package in my suitcase.

Didn't know they sold strips with 3 plugs, will try to find one before the next cruise.

I had one confiscated from my cabin before (I think the Pride in 2011). I had letter on my bed after dinner that this was considered a prohibited item and that I could retrieve the morning of debarkation. I have yet to find where it is documented that a power strip is not allowed. It was smaller one, maybe 4 or 5 outlets.

never thought of an extension cord til after our 1st day on our 1st cruise 30 yrs ago- went and bought an extension cord the 1st port we hit as 1 outlet didn't cut it for 3 women- still bring it on every cruise-makes life alot easier for me!

I take one on every cruise. I use the surge protector kind. Probably why I have never had it taken. Most of the time I keep it under the bed in a suitcase when it's not it use. Sometimes I forget but it's never been taken from my cabin.

I would suggest if you are not in your cabin, then put it away (out of sight). Use the surge protector kind for your own safety as well as the ships safety.

Good Luck,

I keep a small 3 plug strip in my luggage that I always take. Ive never had a problem with it. I picked it up at a dollar store or somewhere. Its great because it also flips to the side if you need to plug it behind a nightstand or something.

I believe its the large strips that get taken with 8-10 extra plugs to them. The rooms are not set up for that many plugs so they tend to cause problems.

I have a triple plug, as well. Looks like this. I've never had a problem.

TriplePlug.jpg

I'm confused....help.

As many have posted, and I also seem to remember this from our last cruise, there is only 1 outlet in our stateroom. At this day and age that is tough considering most of us today have a smart phone, plus your significant others phone, digital camera, digital video recorder & other electronics that need charging throughout the week.

I've seen people say here on the board to bring a power strip so that you can recharge your electronic gadgets throughout the cruise.

However....I've read on this board twice now how someone had their power strip confiscated as an item not allowed and I've seen a picture of one along with bottles of booze and other no-no's taken on the last day of someone's cruise awaiting their return to their owners.

So what are we to do? What can we bring that is "ok" for recharging multiple electronics?

Help?

Its on the list of things you cannot bring.We have never had an issue with just the one plug .We charge both of our cameras and phones and never had a problem.We just make sure something is charging at all times and it seems to work out fine

Like alot of posters have said "it's a hit or miss depending on the port and the person checking". I always take a fan and also a bottle of wine each for both of us. More than once, the screening xray questioned my fan and bottles of wine. I always pack a copy of Carnival's Prohibited and Allowed Items page in with my fan and wine. It really helped.

As far as a power strip, I just pack a little plug-in that expands my one plug-in to three. No one has ever questioned that.

Its on the list of things you cannot bring.We have never had an issue with just the one plug .We charge both of our cameras and phones and never had a problem.We just make sure something is charging at all times and it seems to work out fine

that is not correct, it is not on the list of things you cannot bring.

It says if it is harmful it could be taken,

I have left on out every cruise with no problem, with things plugged in.

We have always brought a 6-plug strip with surge protection & never had a problem in the last 10 trips. Kids also has a smaller 3 plug with USB port charger.

With instability of ship's electrical systems (going from shore power to ship power & generators), Always Always Always use a surge protected strip!!!

We bring a Trip Lite Travel Surge Protector in our carry on luggage. It has three outlets and two USB charging ports. So far, so good.

I'm starting to think that a power strip with no more than three electrical outlets is the key to it being allowed on board.

41LflG%252BXnbL._SL500_AA300_%2520%25281%2529.jpg

that is not correct, it is not on the list of things you cannot bring.

It says if it is harmful it could be taken,

I have left on out every cruise with no problem, with things plugged in.

I stand corrected (cant believe everything you read on CC lol)

can I though give everyone a laugh like I just had :)

Its a great read and laugh

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (Including., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards - (Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length are allowed for use in port only)

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

• Lasers

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards (no more than 42 Inches in length and stored in stateroom).

I stand corrected (cant believe everything you read on CC lol)

can I though give everyone a laugh like I just had :)

Its a great read and laugh

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (Including., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards - (Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length are allowed for use in port only)

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

• Lasers

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards (no more than 42 Inches in length and stored in stateroom).

would someone really try to board with a canoe,a bike ,brass knuckles,throwing stars,explosives ( including detonators),handcuffs and stun guns and a hookah ,toaster and some candles .LOL