Porters - Miami

Devmegsmum

Can someone please explain how the porter "process" works? Where do you give your bags to the porters? Do you have to? Or, can you bring your own bag on? If so, why would you want to, or not want to bring on your own bag? Just curious on how this all works. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cant answer for Miami specifically, though Ive gone out of Miami at least twice on RCL.

But you can only carry on carry on size bags. If you are bringing soda or water (allowed 12 per pax) or your bottle of wine.. Carnival says it must be carried on only. I had two cork screws confiscated in Miami as weapons, so be careful with anything like that.

If you have regular sized bags, yes you have to check them and they do expect $1 or $2 per bag tip if you check bags.

I dont like to check bags, because they can get lost and it takes a while to get them.

If you check bags, anything valuable like electronics should be carried on (it has dissapeared), or anything like bathing suits you want right away.

Can someone please explain how the porter "process" works? Where do you give your bags to the porters? Do you have to? Or, can you bring your own bag on? If so, why would you want to, or not want to bring on your own bag? Just curious on how this all works. Thanks.

The porters will be outside the terminal at the curbside area. They will take what ever bags you want to be delivered to your cabin. They can even tag your bag if you did not already do so. Most people give their large bags to the porters. Of course you do not have to give any bags to the porters but all bags that you want to carry on must be able to fit through the terminals security checkpoint x-ray machine. This x-ray machine is similar to what you find at airports so they will only really accomodate airline sized carry on bags. Many people check their bags with the porters except for your carry on sized bags that you would want to have for medications, cruise documents, and maybe a change of clothes and a swimsuit. The reason for this is most ships cabins are not available to be occupied until 1:00pm-1:30pm and folks don't want to drag a bunch of luggage with them throughout the ship. I hope this helps.

Have $ ready for tipping. The porters are rude as hell. They make no bones about it, they want their money.

We've had good experiences with porters both times we've sailed out of Miami. They've been friendly and helpful.

They usually meet the cab or shuttle when you arrive at the terminal and will take any bags you want to check and have delivered later. You can bring bags onboard with you, but there is a size limit (they have to fit through the scanner). Keep in mind, also, that you won't be able to get into your room until 1:30 or so. If you get onboard early, you will have to keep everything with you until then.

Porters do expect a tip, usually $1-$2 per bag is sufficient.

Thank you everyone - you answered my question completely. Now I know what to expect. Thanks :)

But now, whether you intended to or not, you have opened the door not only to answer to your question but to a discussion on Miami porters.

If want to know about the bad experiences joybaby has had with the rude porters at the Miami port. We've only sailed out of Miami once so I can't opine about the manners of the porters.

The porters will be outside the terminal at the curbside area. They will take what ever bags you want to be delivered to your cabin. They can even tag your bag if you did not already do so. Most people give their large bags to the porters. Of course you do not have to give any bags to the porters but all bags that you want to carry on must be able to fit through the terminals security checkpoint x-ray machine. This x-ray machine is similar to what you find at airports so they will only really accomodate airline sized carry on bags. Many people check their bags with the porters except for your carry on sized bags that you would want to have for medications, cruise documents, and maybe a change of clothes and a swimsuit. The reason for this is most ships cabins are not available to be occupied until 1:00pm-1:30pm and folks don't want to drag a bunch of luggage with them throughout the ship. I hope this helps.

Bingo.

FYI have sailed from Miami 3 times. Have never had anything other then a porter being totally friendly. Of course it may be an act to get a tip out of me, but have never seen one that wasn't smiling and friendly.

Have $ ready for tipping. The porters are rude as hell. They make no bones about it, they want their money.

We've cruised out of Miami twice and don't remember them being that aggressive. We're leaving from Miami in November and will report.

Kevin C

I have cruise out of Miami many times...never met a cruise porter I didn't like. Some are more friendly than other...but I only interact with them for a few minutes...I give them a nice tip right away...and then I'm off onto my cruise.

As of late (Last 3 cruises) I have checked my water and soda with the porters. No issue...I even make sure they know that the bag contains water and soda. Better than carrying it around with me.

The porter we had in Miami seemed aggravated. I was traveling with several newbies who I was trying to guide and the porter seemed offended that I was doing so (in terms of getting their luggage tags situated).

Then again, one in my party left her birth certificate in her checked bag and ran out of line back down there and the guy helped her get her bag. "I know that run anywhere" he told her.

I emailed the port of Miami and asked about tipping porters. They said that the porters are salaried employees, but they are free to accept tips. I don't begrudge them the $2 per bag, especially having to deal with all types of weather and all types of passengers.

I wished that the porters at the different ports would be required to wear a "uniform" shirt which identified them as being a employee......There have been times when I have turned luggage over to someone without really knowing if they were a porter.....I have never had an issue, but it would be nice to have some idea that the person really is a porter and not someone pretending to be a porter, taking your bags, and the tip......and never see your bags again......

I emailed the port of Miami and asked about tipping porters. They said that the porters are salaried employees, but they are free to accept tips. I don't begrudge them the $2 per bag, especially having to deal with all types of weather and all types of passengers.

We do tip them but realize their responsibility ends when they put your luggage onto the Carnival cart after moving it about 10 ft. Unfortunately the people who do the actual work are not the ones getting the tip.

I have only cruised out of Port Everglades in the past few years, and I was able to take my bigger than carry on luggage with me through the x-ray machines. Are the x-ray machines smaller at the Port of Miami?

We live a long drive away so we always carry our luggage on so that we can carry our luggage off and get on the road quicker. We don't carry too much. One rolling piece for me and one for my hubby is all we do.

Thanks!

Are the x-ray machines smaller at the Port of Miami?

Should be the same scanners. CCLs luggage size limit is 24" wide, up to 16" high (laying flat) and no length limit, most suitcases will fit through the scanners with no problem.

The porter we had in Miami seemed aggravated. I was traveling with several newbies who I was trying to guide and the porter seemed offended that I was doing so (in terms of getting their luggage tags situated).

Then again, one in my party left her birth certificate in her checked bag and ran out of line back down there and the guy helped her get her bag. "I know that run anywhere" he told her.

Likely aggravated while waiting for the instruction class to be done, something that should be done prior to initial arrival. He was likely seeing $$$ signs slide by to other porters while he was in limbo.

Likely aggravated while waiting for the instruction class to be done, something that should be done prior to initial arrival. He was likely seeing $$$ signs slide by to other porters while he was in limbo.

Porters make an incredible amount of money for doing almost nothing. They sure want to be out there all the time.

Last year (I think it was San Pedro) we shared a ride with 4 other couples with Red Vans and when a porter met us we gave him our bags and a nice tip. One couple just put their bags next to his wagon and walked away. The porter refused to take their luggage since they never said anything. The bags had Carnival luggage tags so it was obvious they were on the cruise. I went inside the terminal and found a supervisor of the porters and practically dragged him outside and showed him the unattended bags. Reluctically took them but made a big deal and told me they would require special scrutiny. He was looking for a tip which I didn't give him. I'm sure the bags made the ship and the people that left them never knew how close they came to ruining their cruise.

Last year (I think it was San Pedro) we shared a ride with 4 other couples with Red Vans and when a porter met us we gave him our bags and a nice tip. One couple just put their bags next to his wagon and walked away. The porter refused to take their luggage since they never said anything. The bags had Carnival luggage tags so it was obvious they were on the cruise. I went inside the terminal and found a supervisor of the porters and practically dragged him outside and showed him the unattended bags. Reluctically took them but made a big deal and told me they would require special scrutiny. He was looking for a tip which I didn't give him. I'm sure the bags made the ship and the people that left them never knew how close they came to ruining their cruise.

Wow nice thing you did. Unfortunately the porters do almost nothing for their tips but the people on the ship do all the work and get no tips. Strange system.

I do tip because I want to see my bag again but really do they deserve a tip for doing their job and usually in less then 2 minutes time?

I read that the porters in NY are probably unionized but in Miami not, who knows but porters in an airport are paid aprox. $14 an hour so I would think the port porters would be similar.

A server is not paid min wage and depends on tips to bring it to min but these guys already make above min wage.

Like I said I will continue to tip because I want to see my bag during my cruise but am not happy about it.

I do tip because I want to see my bag again but really do they deserve a tip for doing their job and usually in less then 2 minutes time?

I read that the porters in NY are probably unionized but in Miami not, who knows but porters in an airport are paid aprox. $14 an hour so I would think the port porters would be similar.

A server is not paid min wage and depends on tips to bring it to min but these guys already make above min wage.

Like I said I will continue to tip because I want to see my bag during my cruise but am not happy about it.

That is why they belong to a union that controls the pier. Would bet the porters make more than 95% of us and beieve a good deal of their income is never reported.

Archived