Mike & Tracy’s continuing adventures: Carnival Glory 5 day cruise to Canada

MikeyA53

GREAT REVIEW!!! I sail in 17 days with my 8 year old nephew, his first! I want to send this link to my SIL, any chance the review will be done before that? :D

Thank you amcjeep4life, yes it should be done however it's been difficult finding the time to do this review in the middle of summer, so much to do. Mike

Another great review! Your pictorial tour of the ship is awesome!

HOWEVER, while I have always enjoyed Carnival's over the top decor and could never quite understand the naysayers, there is something about the colors on this ship that is not really pleasing to my eye. Please tell me I am wrong and it is better in person!!

Thanks for all of the work you put into these great reviews.

Thank you bar10der421, in some of the photos, for example the Amber lounge, the colors do not seem right, it looks much better in person. Tracy and I thought the ship looked good. Mike

I don't know that I'll ever cruise of this ship, but you write such great reports and have so many wonderful pictures, I couldn't wait to start reading!

I'm heading back on the Pride again in September and I have gone back to reread your outstanding Pride trip report to help me get even more excited about my cruise. It was the best Pride report I've even read.

Looking forward to reading more about your latest trip.

Thank you so much bluehenfan, glad your enjoying the reviews, Mike

Wednesday, June 20th , 2012: Saint John

When we got up at around 8:00 a.m we were in Saint John. I took a stroll up to the Lido Deck to check things out. It was foggy and cool, typical Saint John weather, especially in the morning but it cleared up by the time we disembarked.

Saint John

Cruising1788.jpg

Cruising1789.jpg

Cruising1790.jpg

Cruising1798.jpg

Disney Magic

Cruising1786.jpg

Very quiet

Cruising1794.jpg

Tracy and I started the day by going to the gym again, followed by a run on the Spa deck. It was a lot quieter this morning, I counted about 6 people in the gym, yesterday it was full.

After our workout, Tracy went to the steam room and the spa shower while I went back to the room and ordered room service. I was surprise when told it would take 45 minutes, actually took about 35-40 minutes. They are usually much quicker on port days.

We got off the ship near noon time, as usual the kids were still sleeping. As mentioned earlier we lived just outside Saint John between 1993 and 2002. The kids were born there and it was different back then, we didn’t have much money, it was difficult to go out and enjoy what Saint John had to offer. No family nearby, difficulties in getting good babysitters, etc. All this to say we really enjoyed ourselves, went to places we never visited before. We experienced the city from a different perspective.

On a different note, when the cruise ships first started coming to Saint John in the mid 1990s some of us Mounties would volunteer to dress up in our red serge and meet the cruisers getting off the ship. I remember back then thinking someday my family will be on one of these ships. Never thought I would be getting off in Saint John. ;)

P6200163.jpg

P6200164-1.jpg

P6200165.jpg

P6200166.jpg

P6200168.jpg

Within walking distance from the ship is Market Square, a small mall with approximately a dozen shops and several good places to eat. If you like seafood, Grannan’s Seafood Restaurant is very good but a little pricey. Market Square also has a museum.

P6200169.jpg

Across the street from Market Square is Brunswick Square. It’s a larger mall with three levels of shopping.

P6200170.jpg

We spent some time in both malls but our favourite spot is the city market which is also nearby. Lots of small stalls with nice, friendly people.

P6200171.jpg

P6200172.jpg

P6200175.jpg

Yummy

P6200174.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of the review. I loved your other reviews and was happy to see this 'bonus' review! The Pride review was amazing and got me interested in the ship even though it is doubtful I'll ever take a cruise on her.

The Glory was our first cruise and we are trying to get on her again in January after dry dock and 2.0 improvements - just not sure about finances yet.

Glad you and Tracy are back in the same place again and hope she is loving her new job. Hubby and I have been going thru similar circumstances. First I transferred positions which required me to be away for two months (home on weekends), now he did the same and is away for two months. It will be worth it in the end but it is a crazy year...

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Thank you MyDogRudy, good luck with your new positions and your possible upcoming Glory cruise. :)

Yay! I was pleasantly surprised to find another review from you. We have decided to sail the Glory out of Boston next June for my 50th birthday.

So glad you got to do this cruise and am looking forward to the rest of the review!

Thank you jrmende63, hope you have a good time. :)

Thanks for the review and all the photos. Looking forward to seeing the rest. I hope you post more photos. We're going on the Glory in 2 weeks with my wife and two boys. What do you recommend in St John & Halifax?

Thank you so much for the review and photos. Sailing on the Glory in 25 days. This will be our first time with Carnival and our first cruise with our boys (11 and 14). All of your information is really helping us to prepare for our sailing.

King Square Park

P6200176.jpg

P6200177.jpg

This place is across from where the ship docks. They serve seafood and have a small outdoor patio. There was a party atmosphere going on when we walked by it.

Cruising1804.jpg

Cruising1805.jpg

Within walking distance from the ship is Market Square, a small mall with approximately a dozen shops and several good places to eat. If you like seafood, Grannan’s Seafood Restaurant is very good but a little pricey. Market Square also has a museum.

P6200169.jpg

Across the street from Market Square is Brunswick Square. It’s a larger mall with three levels of shopping.

P6200170.jpg

We spent some time in both malls but our favourite spot is the city market which is also nearby. Lots of small stalls with nice, friendly people.

P6200171.jpg

P6200172.jpg

P6200175.jpg

Yummy

P6200174.jpg

Thanks for posting these pictures. I've never been to Canada before, but now I think I'd like to make my first trip there on a cruise ship.

The past guest party was at 3:45 p.m. The new VIFP program was not in effect yet and therefore anyone with one prior cruise or more got an invitation. Tracy, Arielle and I attended. The service was good, tasty hor d’oeuvres and lots of free drinks. I love their Melon Balls.

Cruising1813.jpg

Cruising1812.jpg

You have me super excited for my first cruise ever on the Glory in October! So many pictures, and you're only on the first night! Thanks so much for this review. :D

Thank you Meari, glad your enjoying it. Mike

Archived