Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

Bring a hard copy of that coveted e-mail with you on the cruise.

It is possible that the Passenger Services Desk personnel are not in the information loop on this.

And check your onboard account to make sure they are not adding Internet charges. There is a difference between removing charges and not putting them on in the first place. You do not want to be in the PSD line on disembarkation day getting the charges removed from the final bill.

When I did have a suite the internet charge appeared on my account but then it later showed credits.I can see it being a great cost to Princess as my partner needed it for problems at work and the total cost that appeared on my account was over $1200.

When I did have a suite the internet charge appeared on my account but then it later showed credits.I can see it being a great cost to Princess as my partner needed it for problems at work and the total cost that appeared on my account was over $1200.

That's a lot of "perk"! ;)

Tom

Received a phone call at 9:03 AM today from Princess' Customer Service Dept to let me know they will honor our free internet usage for the 10/10/12 RT LA-Hawaii sailing.

We made the reservation for a Vista suite in November of 2011.

I had called Princess on Monday (7/9) and spoke with Customer Service about the internet issue. My call this AM was from the same person I had spoke with on Monday.

All's well that ends well.

(Thumper's mom was right!)

Are people recieving this email grandfathering the free internet because they contacted Princess and complained or are they sending them to each pax that has a suite.

We have 3 suites for Oct. and have not heard a word from Princess either way. And we have a Princess Personal Cruise Vacation Planner,HA, who never knows what is going on.

Now to dig up a thread with instructions on how to set up an account. I guess a visit to the computer center is on my list of day 1 must-do things!
Easy peasy. Set your laptop/notebook/tablet to wireless and select the ship's wireless. Open I.E. or a browser and the log-in page will appear. There are instructions but the first time, you enter your name, cabin # (with deck code -- D415 for example if you're in Dolphin 415) and your initial password which is your birthdate. You'll be taken to a screen where you will change the password to whatever you want. Next is the sign-up for which package you want. Some ship systems recognize whether you're eligible for a free package, some don't. From there, you go to the Internet.

To log off, type "1.1.1.1" or "logout.com" in the URL bar. If you have a tablet, iPhone or iPad that has both cellular and WiFi, before leaving home, put it into Airplane mode. Wait 5-10 minutes and turn on the WiFi. This prevents the device from automatically locating and connecting with a cell service, either on the ship or in a foreign country. Even if you think you're not doing anything, most download data in the background which will cost you money.

It still sounds a bit complicated to me. From the CC story it sounds like Suite passangers will still be charged for internet and you will need to go down to the Pursers desk and let them know you are using the internet and it should be credited back to your account if you are grandfathered in. Am I reading this correctly?????

Easy peasy. Set your laptop/notebook/tablet to wireless and select the ship's wireless. Open I.E. or a browser and the log-in page will appear. There are instructions but the first time, you enter your name, cabin # (with deck code -- D415 for example if you're in Dolphin 415) and your initial password which is your birthdate. You'll be taken to a screen where you will change the password to whatever you want. Next is the sign-up for which package you want. Some ship systems recognize whether you're eligible for a free package, some don't. From there, you go to the Internet.

To log off, type "1.1.1.1" or "logout.com" in the URL bar. If you have a tablet, iPhone or iPad that has both cellular and WiFi, before leaving home, put it into Airplane mode. Wait 5-10 minutes and turn on the WiFi. This prevents the device from automatically locating and connecting with a cell service, either on the ship or in a foreign country. Even if you think you're not doing anything, most download data in the background which will cost you money.

Thanks Pam!

I'm going to send this to myself in an e-mail, so I can have it handy to print, along with my e-mail from Princess, the week before my cruise.

Twiggycat, I had e-mailed customer service, didn't even contact my TA until today, after I read the conflicting reports from yesterday. I wanted to be a squeaky wheel, if only they were going to be oiled!

For those passengers who have a suite booking made prior to July 15, 2012, we will honor the offer of complimentary internet for that voyage.

I guess they are hoping this future date will get some people to book new cruises in suites now so that they can lock in the unlimited internet...

The log out instructions are displayed each time you log in.

What I love - assuming it's MTN Sat Communications - is when you are trying to logout but it does not return the expected usage summary page, but rather something about not being able to connect. Then I start to wonder (at least on plans I am PAYING for ;) ) if I am actually logged out or not!

Tom

What I love - assuming it's MTN Sat Communications - is when you are trying to logout but it does not return the expected usage summary page, but rather something about not being able to connect. Then I start to wonder (at least on plans I am PAYING for ;) ) if I am actually logged out or not!

This happens a lot. When it does, I try to re-launch an app (usually I'm on my iPhone) and if it sends me back to the log in page, I feel certain that I'm really logged out.

This happens a lot. When it does, I try to re-launch an app (usually I'm on my iPhone) and if it sends me back to the log in page, I feel certain that I'm really logged out.
That's what I do. It's pretty annoying that you have to do this.

Some of you folks make it sound as if you are only booking suites to get the free unlimited internet. If what you want is unlimited internet, book a less expensive cabin and buy all the internet minutes you need.

Anyone who hasn't made final payment and is really that PO'd should cancel their cruise. I sincerely doubt you are going to find any cruise line giving away free unlimited internet. If so, perhaps sail with them.

Besides, who goes on vacation so they can spend 24/7 on the internet? I can do that at home. ;)

ITA. Being on the internet and accessing email is the last thing I want to do on a cruise. If it is a dire emergency, my family knows how to get in touch with me. I moved to the next level of bennies and now have free internet. That will never be used by me. When I returned from my last cruise, I had 275 emails and 10 that were of interest to me. The rest were trashed.

Your TA should be handling this for you, given a copy of the emails others have gotten, or at least found out why they are denying it.

My TA just sent me a note saying they will not honor ours!!

I guess I need to make another call to Princess .

Not making me happy!!

Your TA should be handling this for you, given a copy of the emails others have gotten, or at least found out why they are denying it.

I agree!

I got an e-mail directly from Princess that contained this paragraph:

For those passengers who have a suite booking made prior to July 15, 2012, we will honor the offer of complimentary internet for that voyage. *Please see the Passenger Services Desk during your cruise and they will waive any internet charges. *

I'm sure you'll be fine!

Joanne

Are people recieving this email grandfathering the free internet because they contacted Princess and complained or are they sending them to each pax that has a suite.

We have 3 suites for Oct. and have not heard a word from Princess either way. And we have a Princess Personal Cruise Vacation Planner,HA, who never knows what is going on.

I emailed my Princess Personal Cruise Vacation Planner and Customer Service and they emailed back to confirm I would still have the perk in Nov. 2012.

Tom

I burned some minutes from this very thing on our last cruise. I realized that I actually *wasn't* logged out one time when I thought I was....so I got in the habit of trying to log onto something like cnn.com after I logged off. At least twice after that, I was still logged in when I had 'logged off.'

I agree!

I got an e-mail directly from Princess that contained this paragraph:

For those passengers who have a suite booking made prior to July 15, 2012, we will honor the offer of complimentary internet for that voyage. *Please see the Passenger Services Desk during your cruise and they will waive any internet charges. *

I'm sure you'll be fine!

Joanne

Princess also posted that in reply to a comment I made on their Facebook page! So glad they are doing that.

Archived