Caneletto: Charge or Not?

SilvertoGold

I suspect it will be free fleet wide in due time. Don't ask when.

If they are charging, I'd rather spend my dollars at the Pinnacle Grill.

I agree. Although we enjoyed each visit to Canaletto, I wouldn't pay to eat there. If there's a fee, might as well go to the Pinnacle Grill.

Summary...

Amsterdam --

Eurodam --no

Maasdam -- no

Nieuw Amsterdam --

Noordam --

Oosterdam --yes

Prinsendam -- currently does not have one

Rotterdam --

Ryndam --

Statendam --no

Veendam --no

Volendam -- no

Westerdam -- yes

Zaandam --

Zuiderdam --

Any updates?

I added a couple for you

Agree that Canaletto is a change of scenery and worth eating there for free. Would not pay for Canaletto. You would think they would change the menu at least yearly. Been the same menu for as long as we've been cruising HAL.

Dined at Canelletto last year on Zaandam and had a wonderful meal. Loved the Cotton Candy.

Have previously dined at Le Cirque. Really wasn't worth the surcharge.

Rockfan2

Have to agree, found the Canelletto decent on the NA last year but the Le Cirque was definitely not worth the extra above the standard Pinnacle fare.

I suspect it will be free fleet wide in due time. Don't ask when.

I presume you meant to say the reverse?

...or is he suggesting that the price will cause the place to remain empty... so the upcharge would have to be eliminated?

Just to clarify, I think with the charge you get a free glass of wine?

I still don't have much interest in it, but I thought it's worth noting.

(and FWIW, Le Cirque has a much more limited menu than Pinnacle and I didn't think it was noticeably better)

The best thing was the cotton candy. I've eaten there on both the Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I would only go again if someone I wanted to eat with was going, or they would pay me to go.

Now if it remained free, I might just go and order the cotton candy. :):)

The best thing was the cotton candy. I've eaten there on both the Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I would only go again if someone I wanted to eat with was going, or they would pay me to go.

Now if it remained free, I might just go and order the cotton candy. :):)

Didn't see any cotton candy on the Amsterdam last week. It was still on the Eurodam in Sept though.

As the OP I want to thank everyone for their imput.

Looks as if HAL might be making a mistake to go fleet-wide with the charge. The majority don't seems to like the food all that much, some even if it is free.

Interesting that HAL tried this out on 2 Vista class ships out of Seattle on 7 day itineraries, possibly the ones to attract the most newbies.

If HAL does go fleet-wide with this charge, there are two benefits for 4 stars: easy reservations and price covers the wine or beer. I'll drink to that!

I have done my due diligence by reading all recent threads on Caneletto and find that for sure the Amsterdam is not charging yet, but the Oosterdam and Westerdam were and probably still are.

Any updates on the other ships? Where is this going?

Thanks

Jusy don't bother with that place, lousy location, lousy atmosphere and lousy leftover food from the day before...

[quote name='Sir PMP']Jusy don't bother with that place, lousy location, lousy atmosphere and lousy leftover food from the day before...[/quote]

Absolutely every time I read a post of yours, I end up giggling. Thanks for today's amusement! I remember you from the Rotterdam, Rio to Athens. What a great cruise that was. And no Caneletto then!!

[quote name='SilvertoGold']Absolutely every time I read a post of yours, I end up giggling. Thanks for today's amusement! I remember you from the Rotterdam, Rio to Athens. What a great cruise that was. And no Caneletto then!![/quote]

We sure did not need that, we had a fabulous chef with fabulous food..

[quote name='Sir PMP']We sure did not need that, we had a fabulous chef with fabulous food..[/quote]

Food was better then and on that Rotterdam cruise, you are right, excellent chef and great food. Usually we don't go to the DR every night, but on that cruise we did!

• 2 weeks later...
The Nieuw Amsterdam charged $10 per person for the Canaletto during our July 18-30 cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean. The menu seemed to be the same as last year. Service was excellent, perhaps because many tables were available!
If you like the Canaletto, this surcharge MIGHT be worthwhile. With one exception (my undercooked osso bucco), the food was quite good. It was an enjoyable and leisurely dinner. I've certainly had better meals in top-flight Italian restaurants, but the comparisons of it to Olive Garden are unfair.

I ate there twice on the Oosterdam (pre-charge) and enjoyed it very much both times. Food was very good, service was amazingly good. We are doing 14 days back on the O and I plan to make reservations for two nights as soon as we board. For $10 each, including a glass of wine, it's a reasonable change from the dining room every night. After a while the food there starts to taste the same. I've also made two reservations for the PG, so we are mixing things up a bit this trip, also planning to eat at the Lido a time or three.

Archived