formal nights dress code

big skip

Glad I am not on the cruise with the cruisers who are arrogant enough to believe that the rules do not apply to them! There are other lines that you may prefer.

Well said Duct tape! Is arrogant a strong enough expression?

Well said Duct tape! Is arrogant a strong enough expression?

Let me reiterate one thing: if Silversea wants me to eat on formal nights at an alternate venue (other than my cabin), I will be happy to eat there. They should just be sure there is enough room for all of us who do not want to wear tuxes. I do not want to be a rule breaker or someone who has a sense of entitlement.

Let me reiterate one thing: if Silversea wants me to eat on formal nights at an alternate venue (other than my cabin), I will be happy to eat there. They should just be sure there is enough room for all of us who do not want to wear tuxes. I do not want to be a rule breaker or someone who has a sense of entitlement.

We will be aboard The Silver Spirit a week from monday. We will be certain to ask the Maitre D' if it is against the rules to dine on formal night in the main dining room in non formal attire. We would certainly abide with what he says and have no problem making reservations in the alternative restaurants if need be.

Dmgmd50 makes a good point. If SS wants to uphold a certain dress code on the restaurant they should make sure that there is ample space in other venues for those who d not wish to dress formally. And eating in your suite does not count as a different venue.

We will be aboard The Silver Spirit a week from monday. We will be certain to ask the Maitre D' if it is against the rules to dine on formal night in the main dining room in non formal attire. We would certainly abide with what he says and have no problem making reservations in the alternative restaurants if need be.

Please report back when you return from your cruise. And have a great time!

Dmgmd50 makes a good point. If SS wants to uphold a certain dress code on the restaurant they should make sure that there is ample space in other venues for those who d not wish to dress formally. And eating in your suite does not count as a different venue.

They already do, it's called another cruise line!

They already do, it's called another cruise line!

Precisely.

We must all accept personal responsibility for consequences arising from our choices, actions and decisions.

Silversea clearly documents the approriate (i.e. expected) dress standards on its website.

It's naive at best, and arrogant at worst, to expect Silversea to provide alternate dining venues to accomodate people who know what the dress policy is, book a cruise, and then choose to deviate from the documented dress standard.

Precisely.

We must all accept personal responsibility for consequences arising from our choices, actions and decisions.

Silversea clearly documents the approriate (i.e. expected) dress standards on its website.

It's naive at best, and arrogant at worst, to expect Silversea to provide alternate dining venues to accomodate people who know what the dress policy is, book a cruise, and then choose to deviate from the documented dress standard.

There were many deviators on our last Silversea cruise and that was two years ago. We'll see how many deviate next week.

Scotspea,

Well, then I guess they should just close down La Terrazza and Hot Rocks on formal nights since you don't believe they are needed.

It is because these venues exist that the non-conformist element should be able to co-exist with others who prefer the formality of the MDR.

P.S. Surprised at your comments as the whole thread is specifically aimed at persons conforming to the formal dress code, which, you well know, does not apply to either of the eateries you mention.

After reading this page, I felt the need to repeat what I said on page two:

"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wripro viewpost.gif

In five years this discussion will seem quaint as the demographic sailing luxury lines (which they are desperately seeking) gets younger and younger. A nice black suit is more than adequate imo. And in the most recent brochures I don't see anyone wearing a tux or long gown. All the models are casually attired.

And I'd be pretty sad if I had to limit my intake of champagne to those nights I wear a tuxedo. Where I live we drink it all the time wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. And it tastes just as good.QUOTE

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strongly agree with your statements. Once again I see a dress code thread that does not sound like a cruise line that I would want to be on -- with people who do not want to even look at black suits unless they are designer:(

We have only taken two Silversea cruises (with one more booked) and learned that some posters sound snobby and are really quite nice. At most, 50% of passengers on our cruises wore tuxedos -- the rest black suits. I can't tell you much about what type of black suit as I have better things to do on my vacation than to study and judge other people.

Silversea is a wonderful cruise line -- beautiful ships (the Whisper and Shadow), incredible service, great food....... what else could you ask for? Perhaps a more welcoming group of posters who respond to newbies:confused: I'm sure there are some nice folks on this thread and perhaps do not realize how harsh a couple of these posts come across (sorry -- just had to speak my mind on this subject).

P.S. Just read another new thread for newbies...... now that is the kind of thread that makes a person happy they checked out the Silversea board:-)

Thank you, Travelcat, for your thoughtful post. It's a shame I have to hide these posts from my husband, or he'd probably cancel our cruise.

I'll take your word for it that some of these members are nice, I sure hope so, but you wouldn't know it from their harsh comments. You'd think we were all dining with the Queen...just because we're not in tuxes, doesn't mean we won't be all beautifully dressed.

Strongly agree with your statements. Once again I see a dress code thread that does not sound like a cruise line that I would want to be on -- with people who do not want to even look at black suits unless they are designer:(

We have only taken two Silversea cruises (with one more booked) and learned that some posters sound snobby and are really quite nice. At most, 50% of passengers on our cruises wore tuxedos -- the rest black suits. I can't tell you much about what type of black suit as I have better things to do on my vacation than to study and judge other people.

Silversea is a wonderful cruise line -- beautiful ships (the Whisper and Shadow), incredible service, great food....... what else could you ask for? Perhaps a more welcoming group of posters who respond to newbies:confused: I'm sure there are some nice folks on this thread and perhaps do not realize how harsh a couple of these posts come across (sorry -- just had to speak my mind on this subject).

P.S. Just read another new thread for newbies...... now that is the kind of thread that makes a person happy they checked out the Silversea board:-)

Thank you for your kind words. You sound like the kind of person I hope to meet onboard.

After reading this page, I felt the need to repeat what I said on page two:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do wish people would actually read the posts! Not one post that I can find complains about people in BLACK SUITS which as we all know are completely acceptable.

This thread ,is rightly, about those who disregard convention if not absolute rules and make others uncomfortable.

Lets stick to FACTS and leave the histrionics at home.

The only way we'll find out if the above statements are true is if we who want to dress up welcome those who do not want to dress us up to join us on board, assuring them they can dine at the alternate dining venues on formal nights, and if those who do not want to dress up come, enjoy the cruise and enjoy La Terrazza and Hot Rocks for 2 - 4 nights of their cruise.

The only take-away from this thread that I see, is that SS should have a policy offering priority seating to non-formal attire guests at the alternates on Formal nights.

If my flight is delayed arriving and my suitcase doesn't arrive with me, I would be forced to miss formal nights. But I'd also be late arriving on the ship, therefore all the formal nights may already be booked. So, even me, a staunch member of the formal group, could find myself without a place to eat on formal nights, something that SS, with their reputation for welcoming, inclusive, hospitality, should make sure doesn't happen.

Agree with u Marcie.;)

For fun, I often read the threads on 'other' lines about formal night. It can get pretty rediculous at times and I always ALWAYS think to myself, "Thank God I sail SS because this thread would never exist there".

I seriously feel like I've stumbled upon a Carnival thread.

Agree with Marcie...it's not that hard.

I do wish people would actually read the posts! Not one post that I can find complains about people in BLACK SUITS which as we all know are completely acceptable.

This thread ,is rightly, about those who disregard convention if not absolute rules and make others uncomfortable.

Lets stick to FACTS and leave the histrionics at home.

Actually, I am not trying to cause a problem but am completely sticking to the facts. I've copied three posts from page one and have pasted them below. Post #13 complains about black suits that look they are for a funeral or to be worn in a business environment. The last post agrees with this statement.

The first post I pasted sounded as if you can wear a black suit if it is the type worn by Prince William.

Perhaps some of the difficulty on this thread is that, for the most part, people living in the U.S. have a different sense of formality then people living in the U.K. Dressing up to many of us is wearing a nice suit and tie -- dark in color during the winter -- lighter in color during the summer. Plain black does tend to be for funerals. Keep in mind that a recent style in this country has been a suit with tennis shoes (don't worry -- not going there;))

Finally, I agree that people are not necessarily nice because they agree with your view on CruiseCritic. By the same token, as I mentioned in a previous post, posters that come across as a bit snobby, can actually be quite nice in person.

Post #12

To the OP,

For the man: I dont want you to be scared off by the tux-or-your-not-doing-it-right suggestions (as valid as they may be to some!); there is certainly a very good option that fits between a "dark suit" and a traditional tux.

The fashion designers of the world have done interesting things in formal attire over the past 10 or so years. A black (so not dark, but black) suit cut in a tailored manner with a thin black tie or bow tie is the look seen at many evening formal occasions in this era.

This trend creates a different way for a man to dress formally; and, in my view at least, more fashionable than a traditional tuxedo. This link shows separate pictures of Jason Statham and Prince William; one in formal styled black suit, the other in traditional tux. No doubt they could sit at the same table and be in a photo together comfortably.

Post #13

What a man wears to a Formal Night on a Cruise usually informs me of what he’s able to bring to it. If he’s paid all that dough to be on the boat but is wearing ‘what’ll get by’ on the glamour night as shown in all the brochures, then (sound of breath being sucked in by writer).

Taking a full Tuxedo along is a pain weight-wise for me; but a white Dinner Jacket doesn’t cost a bomb and it’s light: and you can throw it on over the top of a pair of everyday black pants. I do. (You just have to lay off the red wine.)

And the ladies haven’t gone to all that trouble to look across the table at, or worse be sat next to, a bloke wearing a suit made for and undoubtedly used for business - and which you just know’s seen a funeral or two too. But, like Champagne, men’s formal wear is made for fun times; nothing less, and that’s the sense a man brings with wearing it. You owe it to your table.

Don’t dumb-down! Show off and show you're there to have fun!

Post #16

Alipious -- would love to be one of those at your table! Totally agree -- why spend all that money to go and not enjoy every opportunity offered.

Your lady is lucky.

Archived