formal nights dress code

big skip

We just signed up for our first Silversea's cruise in January 2012. We understood that formal clothes are not required??? I will check with our TA on Monday but am sure she told us formal wear is not required. When we cruise other lines, we skip the formal nights and dine in alternative venues. We eat in our room when we are on Crystal as do not want to bring formal wear and all venues are formal. Will we have to do this on Silverseas?

I know many like the formal nights but we have cruised many times and now want to cruise without stressing about formal wear.

We are going to New Zealand and Australia in 2013 and hope that what you heard is true. I thought I also heard that Silversea was going to be country club casual in 2013 but I have not seen that confirmed. We have done "cc casual" Windstar and Regent in past years, Oceana this year and far prefer to travel that way.

We are going to New Zealand and Australia in 2013 and hope that what you heard is true. I thought I also heard that Silversea was going to be country club casual in 2013 but I have not seen that confirmed. We have done "cc casual" Windstar and Regent in past years, Oceana this year and far prefer to travel that way.

I too prefer "cc casual" in day wear but adhering to dress code (formal when specified) is one of the reasons I prefer Silversea. It's fast becoming about the only place left for elegance and playing dress up. (Trying hard for a joke folks -- don't let loose the cannons.) ;)

We just signed up for our first Silversea's cruise in January 2012. We understood that formal clothes are not required??? I will check with our TA on Monday but am sure she told us formal wear is not required. When we cruise other lines, we skip the formal nights and dine in alternative venues. We eat in our room when we are on Crystal as do not want to bring formal wear and all venues are formal. Will we have to do this on Silverseas?

I know many like the formal nights but we have cruised many times and now want to cruise without stressing about formal wear.

We sail on both Silversea and Regent and enjoy both (for different reasons). Unfortunately, Silversea seems to have the most formal dress code of any luxury cruise line (Crystal, Seabourn or Regent -- exception: Seadream Yacht Club). With the new Vice President of the Americas in place, anything is possible. So far, the smoking policy in suites has changed for 2013 and the dress code could as well.

It seems that the new V.P. understands the desires of U.S. passengers. However, many European passengers want/require the more formal dress code. It does not sound like Silversea is running as full as Regent (as an example) and Regent has no smoking in suites and an Elegant Casual dress code. If changing policies will positively affect Silverseas bottom line -- it sounds like the right thing to do.

We sail on both Silversea and Regent and enjoy both (for different reasons). Unfortunately, Silversea seems to have the most formal dress code of any luxury cruise line (Crystal, Seabourn or Regent -- exception: Seadream Yacht Club). With the new Vice President of the Americas in place, anything is possible. So far, the smoking policy in suites has changed for 2013 and the dress code could as well.

It seems that the new V.P. understands the desires of U.S. passengers. However, many European passengers want/require the more formal dress code. It does not sound like Silversea is running as full as Regent (as an example) and Regent has no smoking in suites and an Elegant Casual dress code. If changing policies will positively affect Silverseas bottom line -- it sounds like the right thing to do.

Jackie,

We just came back from a ten day cruise (July16-26) on the Silver Shadow. Silversea doesn't have the most formal dress code compared to other lines anymore. On the two formal nights you could opt out and eat at The Grill (Hot Rocks) or the Italian Restaurant (La Terrazza).

I saw people dressed in jeans at The Grill.

We ate dinner with the Captain on one of the formal nights. The ladies had on short dresses and the men had on suits or sport coats with a tie at our table with the Captain.

Even on the two formal nights...The passengers did not dress up as much as in the past sailings that we have had on Silversea. Plus if you don't get dressed up for the formal nights you can still go into the lounges or see the show dressed in causal clothes.

In regards to smoking...I saw no one smoking at all during our cruise.

In my opinion the best food was at The Grill for dinner. We ate there three times. Just make your reservations as soon as you board.

We ate dinner with the Captain on one of the formal nights. The ladies had on short dresses and the men had on suits or sport coats with a tie at our table with the Captain.

Even on the two formal nights...The passengers did not dress up as much as in the past sailings that we have had on Silversea. Plus if you don't get dressed up for the formal nights you can still go into the lounges or see the show dressed in causal clothes.

In my opinion the best food was at The Grill for dinner. We ate there three times. Just make your reservations as soon as you board.

So if I was wearing a nice blue blazer with a tie I would be okay on the "formal" night?

Dmgmd50:

Here is the current Silversea dress code policy as posted on their website:

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer voyages usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing your cruise luggage with the proper attire.

Mr read of the current policy is your welcome to dine in La Terraza or Hot Rocks on any formal night but your blue blazer with tie is not in accordance with the above policy, if you choose to dine in The Restaurant, or Le Champagne.

Jackie,

We just came back from a ten day cruise (July16-26) on the Silver Shadow. Silversea doesn't have the most formal dress code compared to other lines anymore. On the two formal nights you could opt out and eat at The Grill (Hot Rocks) or the Italian Restaurant (La Terrazza).

I saw people dressed in jeans at The Grill.

In regards to smoking...I saw no one smoking at all during our cruise.

Thanks so much for your very informative post. It sounds as if Silversea realizes that a strict formal policy is keeping some passengers away (as was the smoking policy). I understand that Seabourn and Crystal have become less formal. For people who love to wear their tuxedos and gowns, perhaps there should be a formal affair or two (depending upon the length of the cruise) Dinner and dancing would be quite nice for them. However, switching between "Formal" and "Informal" almost every night is not comfortable for many people.

Again, thank you for the update:)

Dmgmd50:

Here is the current Silversea dress code policy as posted on their website:

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer voyages usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing your cruise luggage with the proper attire.

Mr read of the current policy is your welcome to dine in La Terraza or Hot Rocks on any formal night but your blue blazer with tie is not in accordance with the above policy, if you choose to dine in The Restaurant, or Le Champagne.

If I do not bring a tux or dark suit, will I be able to get into a casual venue each of thoe four nights my blue blazer? I do NOT want to eat in my cabin.

Or, as juli2020 said, you can wear a suit or sports coat and dine with the Captain. Generally I see the majority of men wearing black suits. My DH did not want to wear a suit on vacation but does when on Silversea and has become used to it.

You can certainly dine in La Terrazza but I would first check out what other men are wearing in The Restaurant on formal nights. If you see others wearing sports coats, I'd go in and enjoy myself.:)

As so many posters keep reassuring inquirers that they can always do Terrazza or the Pool Grill, let me point out that Terrazza (and also Le Champagne for that matter) book up very early on embarkation day. Although we tried to book for Day 2 as soon as we boarded in mid-afternoon (because Day 2 was Prom Night), we were too late for both. Only by getting the Head Sommelier to intervene (on the strength of our having just bought a 5-wine premium package) could we get into even Terrazza on the night in question.

As for the Pool Grill: maybe OK on a Mediterranean evening if you like that sort of thing, but not at all appealing in the middle of the Baltic Sea, even in June.

As so many posters keep reassuring inquirers that they can always do Terrazza or the Pool Grill, let me point out that Terrazza (and also Le Champagne for that matter) book up very early on embarkation day. Although we tried to book for Day 2 as soon as we boarded in mid-afternoon (because Day 2 was Prom Night), we were too late for both. Only by getting the Head Sommelier to intervene (on the strength of our having just bought a 5-wine premium package) could we get into even Terrazza on the night in question.

As for the Pool Grill: maybe OK on a Mediterranean evening if you like that sort of thing, but not at all appealing in the middle of the Baltic Sea, even in June.

As soon as we boarded we made our reservations for La Terrazza (for 3 nights) and at The Grill (for 3 nights) and had no problem getting reservations. Our sailing was full.

As far as the weather goes for eating outside at The Grill...There are overhead heater lamps and if you are still cold...they will give you a blanket. It was cool in Alaska (50-60 degrees) and it did not stop people from eating at The Grill. It was a full house the three times we ate there.

As many others have posted, if you wish to sail with SS and be happy, then adhere to the guideliness.

If you really wish to 'dumb down' then you will have a much more enjoyable time on one of the 'country casual lines'.

Personally, I would feel rather annoyed at someone trying impose themselves on a formal night resaurant dinner in a sports coat & tie. Show some respect people.

As many others have posted, if you wish to sail with SS and be happy, then adhere to the guideliness.

If you really wish to 'dumb down' then you will have a much more enjoyable time on one of the 'country casual lines'.

Personally, I would feel rather annoyed at someone trying impose themselves on a formal night resaurant dinner in a sports coat & tie. Show some respect people.

+1 -- my sentiments exactly - check CruisinPashmina's packing tips prior post.

+1 -- my sentiments exactly - check CruisinPashmina's packing tips prior post.

+2. I'm in complete agreement.

I would urge you to make your reservations at the earliest opportunity, and make the reservations yourself, in person. Don't rely on the butler to do so in this case. He or she may not have the time to make your dining arrangements until quite late on embarkation day. We boarded rather late on our first Spirit voyage and were unable to get confirmed reservations in any of the speciality restaurants. We were able to confirm off waitlist at the last minute for Le Champagne and La Terrazza, but not at The Grill. The next time we were on Spirit we went to make our reservations as soon as we were able to and got what we wanted.

First of all, I chose SS this time because of the dates and itinerary. Second of all, I have been on SS previously (a number of years ago) and actually thought the food was not quite as good as my more recent experience on Regent and Oceana which you call "dumbing down."

That being said, I certainly would prefer on the formal nights to eat in the other venues but am reading on this board that might not be possible, and I would not know until the day I boarded the ship and ran down immediately to the maitre d'. Perhaps SS should institute a policy that we can pre-reserve specialty dining online months before boarding the ship as we can on other lines. Or perhaps, SS could use a section of the dining room just for those of us choosing to look elegant in our blazers and who don't want to offend the others.

Just out of curiosity, does your country club at home still have a lot of formal parties?

Juli2020: Are you really sure that the formal diners were not upset when someone appeared in a sports coat at the Catain's table. From the feedback I am receiving on this board, that is a sign of major disrespect. I was hoping to wear a blazer with a tie if I can't get into the other venues but am getting a lot of negative feedback here.

Juli2020: Are you really sure that the formal diners were not upset when someone appeared in a sports coat at the Catain's table. From the feedback I am receiving on this board, that is a sign of major disrespect. I was hoping to wear a blazer with a tie if I can't get into the other venues but am getting a lot of negative feedback here.

At our table with the Captain....The men had on sport jackets with a tie or dark suits. If someone gets upset that someone is in a sport coat and tie....give me a break. I would think that they would have more important things in life to get annoyed at. Major disrespect? Not at all.

You should have no problem getting a reservation at The Grill or La Terrazza if you want to avoid the Formal nights. Just book it as soon as you board.

Regent and Oceania have a much better system where you can book all your specialty restaurants, spa/hair appointments, excursions ahead.

Silversea says you can book spa/hair/excursions but there is a flaw in their system. I called before I left to ask for help and the agent said I would have to wait until I got on board.

My husband and I prefer the dress code on Regent and Oceania and also the food! The food on Silversea is not great. The Grill was the best food on board. The food was better on Regent and much better on Oceania (Marina).

Totally agree with Silver Spectre’s comments. Having recently returned from seven nights in Alaska we were very disappointed to see the Formal Night (only one) classified as ‘Optional’ – we were told this was because a lot of guests don’t like to dress for dinner. We love to dress up and did so every evening even though we had many ‘Casual’ nights - this didn't stop us.

As has been said here many times, if you don’t like or are not willing to adhere to the dress codes, please, choose another cruise line. Everyone knows the Silversea policy before they book so why people think they can ‘buck the system’ once on board is beyond me and disrespectful to other guests.

Wouldn’t it be good if there was an icon, like the ‘V’ for Venetian Society sailings, that lets people know when a particular voyage will have the dress code strictly enforced. This shouldn’t be necessary on an upmarket cruise line but this way it would (hopefully) stop people booking a particular cruise if they didn’t want to respect the dress code, etc.

Sorry, had to get all that off my chest.

Karin

Archived