formal nights dress code

big skip

Totally agree it's not that hard we manage my evening clothes plus my husband's full highland dress including heavy shoes in two large suitcases.

We took our first Silverseas cruise last year having moved away from Celebrity where on formal evenings some people were in shorts and jeans and I was delighted that the dress code on the Shadow was adhered to. Yes there were passengers in cocktail dresses and lounge suits on formal evenings but they were elegant. I hope that formal evenings remain special and I look forward to getting all dolled up!

Totally agree it's not that hard we manage my evening clothes plus my husband's full highland dress including heavy shoes in two large suitcases.

We took our first Silverseas cruise last year having moved away from Celebrity where on formal evenings some people were in shorts and jeans and I was delighted that the dress code on the Shadow was adhered to. Yes there were passengers in cocktail dresses and lounge suits on formal evenings but they were elegant. I hope that formal evenings remain special and I look forward to getting all dolled up!

Not a black kilt I hope!;)

Traditional to the core Forbes tartan from the North East of Scotland.Husband gets all the compliments on formal evenings!

I luv seeing all the Scottish men in their kilts! Looks amazing.

Cheers

Jennifer

I luv seeing all the Scottish men in their kilts! Looks amazing.

Cheers

Jennifer

So if we are ever on the same cruise Ging I will buy a kilt.I can wear either a Ferguson or Maitland kilt.

Are you really saying that my post #12 was snobby? You really cant be, can you? Hope not. I wrote that designers set the trend, not that you must wear designer suits!

If you are trying to cite post 12 as evidence of snobbery (and I hope/assume not), then I find it amazing this rush of people trying to be the anti-snob...going so far as dreaming up snobby interpretations of completely unsnobby posts.

Actually, I am not trying to cause a problem but am completely sticking to the facts.

Post #12

To the OP,

For the man: I dont want you to be scared off by the tux-or-your-not-doing-it-right suggestions (as valid as they may be to some!); there is certainly a very good option that fits between a "dark suit" and a traditional tux.

The fashion designers of the world have done interesting things in formal attire over the past 10 or so years. A black (so not dark, but black) suit cut in a tailored manner with a thin black tie or bow tie is the look seen at many evening formal occasions in this era.

This trend creates a different way for a man to dress formally; and, in my view at least, more fashionable than a traditional tuxedo. This link shows separate pictures of Jason Statham and Prince William; one in formal styled black suit, the other in traditional tux. No doubt they could sit at the same table and be in a photo together comfortably. [/Quote]

Are you really saying that my post #12 was snobby? You really cant be, can you? Hope not. I wrote that designers set the trend, not that you must wear designer suits!

If you are trying to cite post 12 as evidence of snobbery (and I hope/assume not), then I find it amazing this rush of people trying to be the anti-snob...going so far as dreaming up snobby interpretations of completely unsnobby posts.

I was citing post 12 as evidence of someone posting about black suits. Looking back at what I posted, I really should not have mentioned your post. Sorry if I offended you.

Thanks for that travelcat. I appreciate it very much.

Moving off topic: I view the rush to be the anti-snob as, ironically, the *ultimate* snobbery. I am growing tired of anti-snobs that have no qualms about butting into people's lives onboard or elsewhere about how wonderful they are because they dont partake in what they deem to be snobby activities.

And Im not pointing at anyone in this forum, Im referring to a recent cruise. On a Silversea cruise an anti-snob tried to make a fool of me at a table of 8 because I, gasp, wished to order a wine from the concierge list. By simply ordering a bottle I got a whole speech about how unseemly some Silversea customers are with their formal dressing and buying wine when perfectly good free pours are on offer. I wasnt trying to show off by ordering wine (what kind of person would do that?); as a matter of fact I was trying to be as discreet as possible b/c I somehow sensed that this anti-snob would try to make a scene out of it. It was completely uncalled for by the anti-snob.

I dont tell anyone how to dress, order wine, how to buy/not buy what some anti-snobs deem "needless" shore excursions, or anything else. I have met many lovely people onboard who run across the gamut in all of these areas. While dressing in a tuxedo t-shirt to a formal night may play a part in how I judge whether I wish to befriend someone...dressing is just one rather superficial way, among a myriad of ways, that someone shows you who they are.

But reigning this back into the issue of formal dressing: my opinion, which I do not wish to impose on anyone, is that the fact that Silversea has just one of its myriad dining options set for a formal dress code once or twice a cruise of 7+ days is not an inconvenience to anyone; it's a big selling point. And it would be nice if those that wish to dine in that one, designated venue adhered to the code given that so many lovely options are available if you want to dress differently; and it's nice that there are more options for formal dress than 10+ years ago.

"...buying wine when perfectly good free pours are on offer.|"

That just made me laugh! SS offers many wonderful things on their ships, but 'perfectly good free pours' sure isn't one of them.

Oh, did I sound like a snob? Nope. Am not. I just really like my wine and we ordered only off the Con. list. That other person at your table only made himself look like a fool, not you...who does that??

We took the advice of a fellow traveller who suggested that we meet with the wine sommelier upon boarding to speak about our wine preferences. We did just that, and Norman presented us with a fabulous wine every night without anyone being the wiser that what was being poured in our glass was different than theirs. Don't get me wrong, if we were with guests who would appreciate a good wine, we would gladly share, but alas, this was not the case. Had to drink the bottle all by ourselves :eek:

And if I can weigh in with my opinion about the dress code...I love to see people dressed properly for the venue and this is a huge reason we choose SS.

Does anyone out there know what the breakdown is of formal nights, jacket requiered and casual nights on a 7 night cruise on Silversea in the med? We are seasoned Seabourn cruisers and usually cruise for 15 to 20 days with 4 suitcases, but we're looking at a quickie one weeker as first timers on the Silversea Spirit with a minimum luggage load.

Archived