formal nights dress code

big skip

Henry/Wripro, no worries. We look fwd to wearing our formal finery when Silversea gives us the opportunity.

Larry/Larcar. Thanks for your service--even it was in the Air Force :). Believe you will love your first Silversea cruise.

Larry, the Army does not permit retirees to wear their mess dress on cruises, we are permitted to wear them only at military functions. Specifically, for Army personnel who are retired, in accordance with Army Regulation 670-1, mess dress is approved fo wear for “occasions of ceremony” means occasions essentially of a military character, at which the uniform is more appropriate than civilian clothing. These functions include, but are not limited to: military balls, military parades, weddings, and military funerals; memorial services, meetings and conferences; or functions of associations formed for military purposes, of which the membership is composed largely or entirely of current or honorably discharged veterans of the Armed Forces or reserve components.

Believe you will find the AF Regulation AFI 36-2903 provides similar policy for Air Force Retirees.

Larry, what we are permitted to do is wear our military miniature medals in a similar position that they are worn on mess dress. Thus, proudly wear my miniatures on my Tuxedo or Dinner jacket. This is what I have done since I retired three years ago.

My apologies to Wes and all the others who are far below the age I guessed.

Turns out, I am the one that wanted to wear a blue blazer and I am older than 65! In my case, "been there, done it" as far as tuxes go. My first sailing was with my parents after my freshman year in college: trans Atlantic, first class on Holland America. It was eight nights, six were formal. Two years later went on the old Stella Polaris (former yacht of the King of Sweden): formal every almost every night, even on port days. Many more cruises once I got married, had kids, moving up to the luxury lines, some of which had gone country club casual. Now,fifty years later, I feel I am old enough not to need to play dress up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was). For those of you who enjoy doing that, it is fine with me, but please don't turn your noses up to those of us who look very neat and well dressed without a tux.

<snip> n Now,fifty years later, I feel I am old enough not to need to play dress up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was). For those of you who enjoy doing that, it is fine with me, but please don't turn your noses up to those of us who look very neat and well dressed without a tux.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but your post comes across a little condescending.

I'd warrant the majority of us aren't wearing formal clothes to "play dress-up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was)", any more than I'd presume you've decided not to follow the documented dress code because of an individual sense of entitlement.

Turns out, I am the one that wanted to wear a blue blazer and I am older than 65! In my case, "been there, done it" as far as tuxes go. My first sailing was with my parents after my freshman year in college: trans Atlantic, first class on Holland America. It was eight nights, six were formal. Two years later went on the old Stella Polaris (former yacht of the King of Sweden): formal every almost every night, even on port days. Many more cruises once I got married, had kids, moving up to the luxury lines, some of which had gone country club casual. Now,fifty years later, I feel I am old enough not to need to play dress up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was). For those of you who enjoy doing that, it is fine with me, but please don't turn your noses up to those of us who look very neat and well dressed without a tux.

We are sailing next week with a group of 16. The men are bringing sport jackets or blazers. That's what they took two years ago on the Spirit and they felt it was appropriate. Actually, they would prefer not to wear jackets at all. They consider going on a cruise their vacation. We attend formal functions- weddings or charity events throughout the year...where black tie is the norm. So for them, black tie on a vacation is not something they look forward to. Though most men on the ship did wear sport jackets on black tie night( some did not wear any jackets)...tuxedos were definitely in the minority on our last Silversea cruise. I feel that people should wear whatever makes them comfortable at dinner time and country club casual (no shorts or tanks or tees) seems reasonable. If people want to get dressed formally, that's fine too.

We are sailing next week with a group of 16. The men are bringing sport jackets or blazers. That's what they took two years ago on the Spirit and they felt it was appropriate. Actually, they would prefer not to wear jackets at all. They consider going on a cruise their vacation. We attend formal functions- weddings or charity events throughout the year...where black tie is the norm. So for them, black tie on a vacation is not something they look forward to. Though most men on the ship did wear sport jackets on black tie night( some did not wear any jackets)...tuxedos were definitely in the minority on our last Silversea cruise. I feel that people should wear whatever makes them comfortable at dinner time and country club casual (no shorts or tanks or tees) seems reasonable. If people want to get dressed formally, that's fine too.

Agree with you completely. Hope a group like yours will be on my sailing. Have a great time.

These dress code threads are beyond belief. I would seriously consider the safety of us all onbooard if the officers are unable to enforce their own regulations. A jacket and tie is fine on formal night as long as the word "formal" has been removed form the dialogue because that is NOT formal. I hope I am speaking for others who have been participating in this oh so civil discussion. SS is marketing a product that has so far appealed to us and that is what we are paying for. Until things are officially changed, I expect to get what I pay for and their dress code is one of the things that we like. Just because YOU are on vacation does not give you the right to diminish what I have paid for.... so yes it does matter to me. It seems absurd to go on a cruise knowing full well what the expectations are and refusing to abide. I did see one guy sent back at the dining room entrance to get a jacket on our last cruise on an informal night. That was as it should be. I am fully aware that times are changing and we can roll with it or not......until then I would insist on playing by the rules because people cannot always get their own way. I also believe that the dress issue will change and it will be tough luck on me... and some others. We do have choices.

Turns out, I am the one that wanted to wear a blue blazer and I am older than 65! In my case, "been there, done it" as far as tuxes go. My first sailing was with my parents after my freshman year in college: trans Atlantic, first class on Holland America. It was eight nights, six were formal. Two years later went on the old Stella Polaris (former yacht of the King of Sweden): formal every almost every night, even on port days. Many more cruises once I got married, had kids, moving up to the luxury lines, some of which had gone country club casual. Now,fifty years later, I feel I am old enough not to need to play dress up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was). For those of you who enjoy doing that, it is fine with me, but please don't turn your noses up to those of us who look very neat and well dressed without a tux.[/quote

The Stella Polaris was a wonderful little ship. We sailed on a North Cape cruise in 1960. So glad to finally "meet" someone else who was on that ship.

.[/quote

The Stella Polaris was a wonderful little ship. We sailed on a North Cape cruise in 1960. So glad to finally "meet" someone else who was on that ship.

We did the North Cape cruise in 1966. That ship really had an interesting passenger list. Remember how they use to print those lists? Now those were the good old days.

Turns out, I am the one that wanted to wear a blue blazer and I am older than 65! In my case, "been there, done it" as far as tuxes go. My first sailing was with my parents after my freshman year in college: trans Atlantic, first class on Holland America. It was eight nights, six were formal. Two years later went on the old Stella Polaris (former yacht of the King of Sweden): formal every almost every night, even on port days. Many more cruises once I got married, had kids, moving up to the luxury lines, some of which had gone country club casual. Now,fifty years later, I feel I am old enough not to need to play dress up in order to feel good about who I am (or who I was). For those of you who enjoy doing that, it is fine with me, but please don't turn your noses up to those of us who look very neat and well dressed without a tux.[/quote

Perhaps a clothing optional cruise might be on your horizon!

Perhaps a clothing optional cruise is on your horizon!

I agree with you.

Some of the people in their formal wear looked so outdated. I would rather see a man in a nice modern blazer than an old dinner jacket/tux that looks like it belongs on a waiter.

In fact the people were dressed better (country club causal) on our cruises this year on the Marina (Oceania) and the Paul Gauguin than on the Silver Shadow. Formal wear doesn't always mean good taste.

These dress code threads are beyond belief. I would seriously consider the safety of us all onbooard if the officers are unable to enforce their own regulations. A jacket and tie is fine on formal night as long as the word "formal" has been removed form the dialogue because that is NOT formal. I hope I am speaking for others who have been participating in this oh so civil discussion. SS is marketing a product that has so far appealed to us and that is what we are paying for. Until things are officially changed, I expect to get what I pay for and their dress code is one of the things that we like. Just because YOU are on vacation does not give you the right to diminish what I have paid for.... so yes it does matter to me. It seems absurd to go on a cruise knowing full well what the expectations are and refusing to abide. I did see one guy sent back at the dining room entrance to get a jacket on our last cruise on an informal night. That was as it should be. I am fully aware that times are changing and we can roll with it or not......until then I would insist on playing by the rules because people cannot always get their own way. I also believe that the dress issue will change and it will be tough luck on me... and some others. We do have choices.

If other people are dressed attractively in country club casual, how does that diminish what you paid for in any way, shape or form? Just curious on exactly how that works. The "rules" as you put it are never enforced, therefore, until they are,they remain merely suggestions. By the way, it is your right to like the dress code they suggest...and therefore, you should continue dressing up formally. I for one would not object...as long as your black tie attire is in good taste and does not diminish what I paid for.

If other people are dressed attractively in country club casual, how does that diminish what you paid for in any way, shape or form? Just curious on exactly how that works. The "rules" as you put it are never enforced, therefore, until they are,they remain merely suggestions. By the way, it is your right to like the dress code they suggest...and therefore, you should continue dressing up formally. I for one would not object...as long as your black tie attire is in good taste and does not diminish what I paid for.

You seem to be missing the point. You also paid for a cruise that goes with a formal dress code. You did not pay for country club casual (whatever that is) I am quite sure that may be a regional thing so it would be worthless to argue. I don't care whether you object to my formal wear or not. I want to get what I paid for (so to speak) and not be concerned with you changing things around because you chose to not like things that you chose to pay for. This enforcement of rules thing is really interesting.

You seem to be missing the point. You also paid for a cruise that goes with a formal dress code. You did not pay for country club casual (whatever that is) I am quite sure that may be a regional thing so it would be worthless to argue. I don't care whether you object to my formal wear or not. I want to get what I paid for (so to speak) and not be concerned with you changing things around because you chose to not like things that you chose to pay for. This enforcement of rules thing is really interesting.

ENFORCEMENT OF RULES THING: As Duct Tape said, it seems to be up to the Hotel Director. I always speak directly to him when rules aren't enforced -- dress, etc. I also ALWAYS mention on the final evaluation form. As I said previously -- enablers -- not good.

As much as I dislike the dress code on Silversea, we abide by the rules and expect Silversea to do the same. If Country Club Casual is allowed on Formal nights when this is clearly against stated policy, smoking could continue to be allowed in suites and on balconies. I would much rather be forced to dress up than have smoke wafting onto my balcony. Don't think we can pick and choose which policies we want enforced and which we do not (JMHO):confused:

A few years ago, Silversea notified us that the Mediterranean cruise that we were booked on was to be a 'special' and that there would be a famous Parisian Disc Jockey on board to provide 'entertainment'. Additionally, they informed us that there would be no formal evenings on the cruise.

I can only imagine that they were trying to attract a younger clientele, which they failed to achieve. Additionally, they also failed to consider the wishes of the clients already booked on the cruise.

Needless to say, as soon as the DJ started his 'music' programme on the pool deck, we all closed our reading material and disappeared. I felt really sorry for the Cruise Director who was trying, in vain, to make this somewhat bizarre concept work.

The point of this story is that my party all agreed that we missed the formal nights and mentioned this in the post cruise feedback forms.

I have to say I agree with those who say that if one books a Silversea cruise which includes formal nights, then it is reasonable to expect fellow guests to adhere to the clearly stated requirements.

As much as I dislike the dress code on Silversea, we abide by the rules and expect Silversea to do the same. If Country Club Casual is allowed on Formal nights when this is clearly against stated policy, smoking could continue to be allowed in suites and on balconies. I would much rather be forced to dress up than have smoke wafting onto my balcony. Don't think we can pick and choose which policies we want enforced and which we do not (JMHO):confused:

Travelcat is exactly correct. For the record...people puposely ignoring the rules will p*** me off and raise my blood pressure and whether you like it or not will affect my health. Although it was 2010, our cruise was almost a full charter. SS called my travel agent to advise that there would be no formal nights...only informal and casual. We could leave things as they were, they offered to move us to a different sailing, or we could request a full refund. I understand their business dilema and felt they were quite fair.

Sorry, but these are not "rules". Per the SS cruise documents they are "guidelines" or "suggestions". By definition, guidelines are not rules and are not enforceable Not to mention there are alternate dining option(s) provided by SS on formal nights for those who don't care to dress up. Therefore, if I choose SS because I like everything about the line, except wearing a tux, I am fully within the guidelines. Simple.

A man in a blazer will not cause ill health effects on his neighbor. A smoker will.

Exactly. If I wear a blazer, the dining room will not smell! Nor will carcinogens be added to the air.

Archived