Vaporetto in Venice

Caribbean Sunset

I asked on another board but I'll ask here too - anyone know anything about the Vaporetto dell’Arte which is the vaporetto for the grand canal? It can be added to the 36 hr ticket for 10e. Worth it?

http://www.vaporettoarte.com/index.php/en/

This is something quite new and we have been waiting to see some posts from cruisers who have used the service. After looking at the web site we were not overly impressed since you are essentially paying an extra fee to use a vaporetto (that does not run very often) on a very limited route (primarily on the Grand Canal). This route is aleady covered by the normal vaporettos (#1 and/or #2) so you might ask why would you pay more for this new service. Well, it sounds like ACTV is trying to market it somewhat like a Hop on Hop off Bus and it does have stops at or near some major sites and museums. They also provide some kind of commentary onboard.

Hank

Princess offers a boat alternative that runs from the port to St Marks Square for $15 PP for two days. It does not go thru the grand canal-I guess it goes around. Is that a better option than the vaporetto? Has anyone used this? I wondered if we wouldn't have to worry about using the people mover each time to get to the vaporetto stop at Pizzale Roma.

Do the Vaporetto's stop running at some point in the evening?

Yes and no. Some of the routes stop running later at night (sometime between 11pm and midnight) but ACTV also runs several additional "night" vaporetto routes which run all night.

Hank

I asked on another board but I'll ask here too - anyone know anything about the Vaporetto dell’Arte which is the vaporetto for the grand canal? It can be added to the 36 hr ticket for 10e. Worth it?

We were in Venice a couple weeks ago. We saw those and wondered what they were. They were empty all the time. The regular vaporettos were usually full with some standing. The Vaporetto dell'Arte is a larger boat and would have like 5 people on it. All it did was do up and down the Grand Canal. I really couldn't see the point. Maybe if they sold it at discount to the regular pass to compensate for the limited route it would be worth it. Then again if you really hate crowds and don't mind the limited route I guess it could be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are about to complete a 2 week land based trip to Europe and spent nearly 4 days in Venice. We purchased 72 hour vaporetto passes on veniceconnected and they were 35 euros each but we added the vaporetto dell'arte to it for another 10 euros. Therefore it cost the adults and my 13 year old daughter 45 euros for the pass. It was less for my 16 year old son as for age 14 to 29 can get the 4 euro rolling Venice card and the 72 hour vaporetto pass is reduced to 18 euros (a great deal) plus 10 euros for the vaporetto dell'arte for a total of 28 euros for him.

Now for the review....

The vaporettos are very nice in that they have six seats across (three on each side of the isle) throughout the interior which are very comfortable and have LCD screens in the setbacks. They give your headphones that you keep-like those you get with an iPod -and you can plug them in and select your language. As you progress down the grand canal, it gives you periodic information on specific sites as you pass them.

Pros...

Nice, uncrowded, new vaporetto with very comfortable seats and air conditioning.

Cons...

Run relatively infrequently-about every 20 minutes.

Few outside seats in the rear are nice but you cannot access the video/audio out there.

limited route-grand canal only

Slight discount at museums.

In short we used them four times, but felt it was worth it.

Quick question - if I buy the 36 hour vaporetti pass online for my date of arrival in Venice, does it activate at the time of first use? I will not be using the card until mid-afternoon and I want to make sure that it will still be good until 6pm the next day?

I bought the 24 hour pass through Veniceconnected and the clock starts ticking the instant you key in the code at the machine to print out the tickets, not when you first use (i.e. validate) the ticket. Usually of course it's just about the same thing, and with your 36 hour card and your times it won't matter, but those with a 24 hour car might need to bear this in mind so they do not find themselves 30-60 minutes 'short' towards the end of the period.

All the best, Tony

Not sure what pass to buy? seems like there are a few options. Wondering the most economical way to get from the airport to our hotel meters from St.Marks Sq.? Would we take a vaporetto and of course buy a pass? Does a pass cover ALL vaporettos routes? I need to make sure we get to St.Marks drop off, luggage to drag etc. Hoping the wealth of knowledge of CC members can answer this naggin questions...thanks in advance:)

Not sure what pass to buy? seems like there are a few options. Wondering the most economical way to get from the airport to our hotel meters from St.Marks Sq.? Would we take a vaporetto and of course buy a pass? Does a pass cover ALL vaporettos routes? I need to make sure we get to St.Marks drop off, luggage to drag etc. Hoping the wealth of knowledge of CC members can answer this naggin questions...thanks in advance:)

The most economical comes with some pain, and not much savings in the end.

The most efficient way is the most expensive, a private water taxi. One step away from that in efficiency, but far less expensive, is the Alilaguna water bus from the airport to St. Marks (San Marco). A vaporetto pass does not cover this fare but to me it's worth the additional fee. Alilaguna information here: http://www.alilaguna.it. Either the orange or the blue lines will work.

If you really want to go on the cheap but painful route, you could take the public land bus to Piazzale Roma, followed by the vaporetto.

When we were in Venice during the Spring of 2011, I bought a (one day?) ticket for my wife and I from the machine at one of the stops. I didn't realize that the tickets needed to be validated in the little machine(?), and we hopped on board. Never saw anyone asked for a ticket, and just kept the unvalidated (and undated) tickets in my pocket. We continued to ride for the three days we were there... it was a day or two before I figured it out. ;)

Dan

My husband and I need to get to the port and we are close to the Piazza Roma, staying at Hotel Grande Canal. What is a good way to get to the port without taking a water taxi? We also have another full day in Venice to see the sights, with our ship leaving in the afternoon the following day. Should we take the Vaporetto since time isn't a big issue? A friend says we need a water taxi. What has been your experience?:confused:

Thanking you in advance.

My husband and I need to get to the port and we are close to the Piazza Roma, staying at Hotel Grande Canal. What is a good way to get to the port without taking a water taxi? We also have another full day in Venice to see the sights, with our ship leaving in the afternoon the following day. Should we take the Vaporetto since time isn't a big issue? A friend says we need a water taxi. What has been your experience?:confused:

Thanking you in advance.

from airport take the ATVO BUS direct from airport to P Roma-6 euros per person.

To the port there is the people mover from P ROMA which we found of limited use as it can be a long hike from its terminal to your actual ship terminal with luggage

best bet would be to hail a taxi to get as close to terminal as possible as this is the part of Venice still accessible by land

Thanking you in advance.

No need for a water taxi unless you have mobility issues. Just return to the Piazzale Roma and take the People Mover to the port for 1 euro. The terminal is just a short walk from the People Mover stop. I also recommend using the luggage storage facility at the Piazzale Roma rather than dragging a lot of luggage to your hotel.

from airport take the ATVO BUS direct from airport to P Roma-6 euros per person.

To the port there is the people mover from P ROMA which we found of limited use as it can be a long hike from its terminal to your actual ship terminal with luggage

best bet would be to hail a taxi to get as close to terminal as possible as this is the part of Venice still accessible by land

We are coming from the train station, so what means of transportation should we take to our hotel that is close to Piazza Roma? It looks like we can walk...

We are coming from the train station, so what means of transportation should we take to our hotel that is close to Piazza Roma? It looks like we can walk...

If you are capable of walking with your luggage this would be the best way from the train station to anywhere near the P. Roma. Keep in mind that depending upon your hotel location you might have to drag your luggage over one (or more) foot bridges.

Hank

If you are capable of walking with your luggage this would be the best way from the train station to anywhere near the P. Roma. Keep in mind that depending upon your hotel location you might have to drag your luggage over one (or more) foot bridges.

Hank

Hank,

On Quest docking at Santa Marta next to Basilio. How do you think it would be to walk with a wheeled case to Piazzale Roma? Better than using the Vaparetto? Help much appreciated.

Hank,

On Quest docking at Santa Marta next to Basilio. How do you think it would be to walk with a wheeled case to Piazzale Roma? Better than using the Vaparetto? Help much appreciated.

Now you have me scratching my head since we have never docked at those piers (they are at the far end of the port). So I can just give you an educated guess. If you are provided with free shuttle service (inside the port to one of the terminal buildings) you might be better off taking their shuttle (it would be internal ground transportation) and then use the inexpensive People Mover to get to P. Roma. But if you are left isolated at the far end, I do believe that there is a nearby vaporetto stop (remember, this is an educated guess) which might make sense. Just keep in mind that a single vaporetto ticket costs 7 Euros (a 24 hour pass is 20 Euros). I am a bit hesitant with this post since we have never experienced Santa Marta first hand.

Hank

The most economical comes with some pain, and not much savings in the end.

The most efficient way is the most expensive, a private water taxi. One step away from that in efficiency, but far less expensive, is the Alilaguna water bus from the airport to St. Marks (San Marco). A vaporetto pass does not cover this fare but to me it's worth the additional fee. Alilaguna information here: www.alilaguna.it. Either the orange or the blue lines will work.

If you really want to go on the cheap but painful route, you could take the public land bus to Piazzale Roma, followed by the vaporetto.

Thanks Euro cruiser....your info really helps...luckily its early afternoon and not dark when we arrive...:)

Now you have me scratching my head since we have never docked at those piers (they are at the far end of the port). So I can just give you an educated guess. If you are provided with free shuttle service (inside the port to one of the terminal buildings) you might be better off taking their shuttle (it would be internal ground transportation) and then use the inexpensive People Mover to get to P. Roma. But if you are left isolated at the far end, I do believe that there is a nearby vaporetto stop (remember, this is an educated guess) which might make sense. Just keep in mind that a single vaporetto ticket costs 7 Euros (a 24 hour pass is 20 Euros). I am a bit hesitant with this post since we have never experienced Santa Marta first hand.

Hank

I think that it is just slightly back from San Basillio, towards Marittimo but not that far back I hope. They seem to say it is an easy walk along to the SB Vaporetto stop, so cannot see it being that far away. What would your advice be if it was San Basillio docking please?

I think that it is just slightly back from San Basillio, towards Marittimo but not that far back I hope. They seem to say it is an easy walk along to the SB Vaporetto stop, so cannot see it being that far away. What would your advice be if it was San Basillio docking please?

You can see Santa Marta on this port map.

http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

WE were docked at San Basillo on the Quest a few years ago. It was just before the people mover opened and many of the ships had shuttles from P. Roma to the cruise port. Azamara had a shuttle to San Basillo. I looked into walking in case there was no shuttle and there were an awful lot of bridges. We did walk without luggage and I don't think I would want to do it with luggage. Also we walked to P. Roma so there were signs showing the way. Not so when you're going to the ship. You could try to find a shuttle in that far cornor of P. Roma and if none comes just take a cab.

A lot of travel experience has taught us to learn about our options, but save the final decision until the situation actually arises. We often see folks who lock themselves into ideas and refuse to adapt to the actual circumstances. I think that is where you should be with the Santa Marta situation. Wait until you see exactly where the ship is berthed (things can change from the planned berth) and take a look at the situation from the deck of your ship. If walking looks like a good option you can walk. If the vaporetto seems like the best way then you simply buy a ticket and get on the vaporetto. If there is some kind of ship shuttle service that makes sense you would also have that option. The People Mover is also an option but just keep in mind that the People Mover station is located relatively close to the port entrance and will be quite far from S. Marta.

Hank

We docked just about a 5 minute walk from SB terminal, so from the sounds of it, walking to P.Roma should not be too much trouble, other than the bridges, of which there could be quite a few!!! I think we will give it a go as I have concerns about taking the cases on the vaporetto, although I guess at 9am Sunday morning there might not be so many people about!

We docked just about a 5 minute walk from SB terminal, so from the sounds of it, walking to P.Roma should not be too much trouble, other than the bridges, of which there could be quite a few!!! I think we will give it a go as I have concerns about taking the cases on the vaporetto, although I guess at 9am Sunday morning there might not be so many people about!

If it's Sunday morning it shouldn't be too bad. Try to find a good map and find the most direct route. I believe most of the bridges are small going over small canals. Also if in doubt just ask someone. I have found knowing the word dove, pronounced doe vay (where) and pointing to a map gets very good results:)

Archived