Vaporetto in Venice

Caribbean Sunset

I bought the 24 hour pass through Veniceconnected and the clock starts ticking the instant you key in the code at the machine to print out the tickets, not when you first use (i.e. validate) the ticket. Usually of course it's just about the same thing, and with your 36 hour card and your times it won't matter, but those with a 24 hour car might need to bear this in mind so they do not find themselves 30-60 minutes 'short' towards the end of the period.

All the best, Tony

Sorry but are you sure about that? the website says it does not start till activated and that is what we were told when we used them in May.

24 hour Tourist travel card ACTV

Card valid 24 hours for ACTV public transport.

This card allows unrestricted use of the ACTV public transport services in Venice, the lagoon islands and mainland, but excludes services to the airport. The exceptions can be seen here. Tickets must be picked up at any of the ACTV's ticket machines or at any of //venice>connected points from the date chosen as first use day in the calendar and not later than 12 months from the date of purchase. The card's validity starts from the exact moment of the first validation.

http://veniceconnected.com/ACTV-ticket-machines

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry but are you sure about that? the website says it does not start till activated and that is what we were told when we used them in May.

24 hour Tourist travel card ACTV

Card valid 24 hours for ACTV public transport.

This card allows unrestricted use of the ACTV public transport services in Venice, the lagoon islands and mainland, but excludes services to the airport. The exceptions can be seen here. Tickets must be picked up at any of the ACTV's ticket machines or at any of //venice>connected points from the date chosen as first use day in the calendar and not later than 12 months from the date of purchase. The card's validity starts from the exact moment of the first validation.

http://veniceconnected.com/ACTV-ticket-machines

Thanks for this, I stand corrected, you are quite right. Looking at Veniceconnected.com (from where I paid for my ticket), it clearly says that the 12/24/72 hours starts from the first validation, not purchase. I think I got confused because when I converted my PNR code to a ticket, along with it I got a receipt with the time in h/m/s and assumed that was the start point of my 24 hours, as there was no writing on the actual ticket, which was for 17th July. In the event I validated it 30s later so it made no difference in my case. Sorry for the misinformation :( Tony

On our last visit to Venice (last Oct) we did purchase the 24 hr pass and made good use of it. In addition to Murano and Burano may I suggest taking it up the Grand Canal at night--absolutely stunning!

Enjoy

Thanks for this, I stand corrected, you are quite right. Looking at Veniceconnected.com (from where I paid for my ticket), it clearly says that the 12/24/72 hours starts from the first validation, not purchase. I think I got confused because when I converted my PNR code to a ticket, along with it I got a receipt with the time in h/m/s and assumed that was the start point of my 24 hours, as there was no writing on the actual ticket, which was for 17th July. In the event I validated it 30s later so it made no difference in my case. Sorry for the misinformation :( Tony

You are not totally wrong. (we posted this info earlier but will reiterate). If you purchase a pass out of the machines it will not be effective until you validate it (by passing it over the scanning machines at the vaporetto stops). But if you buy a pass at an ACTV ticket office (such as the large office in the Piazale Roma) the ticket clerk will usually validate it before handing it to you....so the 24 hours would start from that point. If you do buy at a ticket office and do not want it validated (because you are not going to use it right away) make sure you tell the clerk not to validate (and pray they understand).

Hank

I know that this will appear a stupid question to some but here goes. Do the 24 hour or 3 day passes cover journeys on the Alilaguna and Vaporetta boats or just one or other. Also I intend getting the Alilaguna from the port to StMarks. When we leave Venice I am thinking of getting the Alilaguna to the Airport is this wise or should I be looking at other options? Any advice would be welcome.

I know that this will appear a stupid question to some but here goes. Do the 24 hour or 3 day passes cover journeys on the Alilaguna and Vaporetta boats or just one or other. Also I intend getting the Alilaguna from the port to StMarks. When we leave Venice I am thinking of getting the Alilaguna to the Airport is this wise or should I be looking at other options? Any advice would be welcome.

The passes are for the ACTV, the company that runs the vaporettos and public land buses. The Alilaguna water buses and the ATVO land buses are private companies and their services are not included in the Venice Connected passes.

If you are going to the airport from the St. Marks area, the Alilaguna makes sense. If you are anywhere near Piazzale Roma, it's always faster and cheaper to go by land to the airport.

We will be in Venice for two periods of time during our cruise. I would like to preorder our vaporetto tickets online.

My question- Can I order all of the tickets, 2 24 hour passes and 2 36 hour passes, for pickup at the airport on our first day just holding on to them, then validating them 12+ days later? Does it really matter what date you get physically get them at the airport kiosk? (as long as they are used within the 6 month window)

We will be in Venice for two periods of time during our cruise. I would like to preorder our vaporetto tickets online.

My question- Can I order all of the tickets, 2 24 hour passes and 2 36 hour passes, for pickup at the airport on our first day just holding on to them, then validating them 12+ days later? Does it really matter what date you get physically get them at the airport kiosk? (as long as they are used within the 6 month window)

Hi Sher, we already pre-ordered our tickets online, we obtained a ticket number, all we need to do is input the number at the kiosk for when we want to activate the passes for x number of hours, we also got the comfort station passes for the specific days. check out veniceconnected

Diane.

Hi Sher, we already pre-ordered our tickets online, we obtained a ticket number, all we need to do is input the number at the kiosk for when we want to activate the passes for x number of hours, we also got the comfort station passes for the specific days. check out veniceconnected

Diane.

Hi Diane-

Thanks for the information. I am interested in getting the passes for the 2 different dates we are there (10/5 and 10/17). Do you have more than one number for the kiosk? I don't want to validate or activate all the tickets at the same time.

Hi Diane-

Thanks for the information. I am interested in getting the passes for the 2 different dates we are there (10/5 and 10/17). Do you have more than one number for the kiosk? I don't want to validate or activate all the tickets at the same time.

Yes actually we did 2 separate bookings just to be on the safe side, the first time we booked tickets for the vaporetti for 48 hours and for 24 hours for the Oct. 17 stop. The tickets are actually activated only when you input the number and use for the first time. So pick your times carefully. We are arriving Oct. 3 but will use the passes only on Oct. 4 till we depart on Oct. 6. The information for use on the passes is explained on veniceconnected.com I think it is a great idea to get the passes.

Diane.

Hi, I have one more question; I understand that you can add a restroom option to the passes, is this really necessary &/or worth it? We will be visiting museums & also utilizing cafes, can we just use those restrooms, or are they all pay restrooms? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have one more question; I understand that you can add a restroom option to the passes, is this really necessary &/or worth it? We will be visiting museums & also utilizing cafes, can we just use those restrooms, or are they all pay restrooms? Thanks in advance!

It is my understanding that there is no cost to using the public restrooms in museums but that not all cafes will let you use their restroom. We purchased our restroom passes, however since we will be there for 3 days on our first visit, we purchased the weekly pass that gives us 10 tickets for 7 Euros. This pass can be shared if small group.

Diane

We previously discussed this issue. In our many trips to Venice we never found a need to purchase a rest room pass for several reasons. The paid rest rooms are only in a limited number of locations and its unlikely we would happen to be near that area when we wanted a rest room. But the other reason is that when we want a rest room we simply stop at any cafe (except in St Marks Square), order a coffee, tee, beer, etc....and simply use the facilities. Personally, I am happy to have capuccino anywhere (or beer in the afternoon) so stopping is no heartache. Some cafes also have free WiFi which can come in handy when in Europe.

Hank

It is my understanding that there is no cost to using the public restrooms in museums but that not all cafes will let you use their restroom. We purchased our restroom passes, however since we will be there for 3 days on our first visit, we purchased the weekly pass that gives us 10 tickets for 7 Euros. This pass can be shared if small group.

Diane

We previously discussed this issue. In our many trips to Venice we never found a need to purchase a rest room pass for several reasons. The paid rest rooms are only in a limited number of locations and its unlikely we would happen to be near that area when we wanted a rest room. But the other reason is that when we want a rest room we simply stop at any cafe (except in St Marks Square), order a coffee, tee, beer, etc....and simply use the facilities. Personally, I am happy to have capuccino anywhere (or beer in the afternoon) so stopping is no heartache. Some cafes also have free WiFi which can come in handy when in Europe.

Hank

Thanks to both of you, we'll only be there for a bit less than 48 hours, so I think that we'll skip the restroom pass, we really like people watching in cafes, so I think we'll be covered!

Did anyone encounter any difficulties with the purchase of the pass(es) from Veniceconnected.com ? I read in one review/postings/somewhere that there can be problems wint on-line purchases and recommended that we wait until we arrive to make the purchase. Of course, the next statement commented on how long the lines can be to do that.

What do you past visitors recommend for us first time visitors with limited time?

Thanks!!

Did anyone encounter any difficulties with the purchase of the pass(es) from Veniceconnected.com ? I read in one review/postings/somewhere that there can be problems wint on-line purchases and recommended that we wait until we arrive to make the purchase. Of course, the next statement commented on how long the lines can be to do that.

What do you past visitors recommend for us first time visitors with limited time?

Thanks!!

I bought the passes on the website today. There's also a short video on the site showing you how to key in your 7 digit code to get your actual tickets at the machine. Having stood in a very crowded line last time at Piazza Roma to get our tickets I was thrilled with this pre-purchase option.

We will be in Venice for a week to spend some days with friends going on a cruise. We are not cruising this time. So, let's see if my understanding is correct -

We do not want to take the bus so we will purchase round trip Alilaguna tickets to/from Rialto bridge.

Then we purchase a 7 day ACTV ticket for the vaporettis and the islands.

Am I correct??

We will be in Venice for a week to spend some days with friends going on a cruise. We are not cruising this time. So, let's see if my understanding is correct -

We do not want to take the bus so we will purchase round trip Alilaguna tickets to/from Rialto bridge.

Then we purchase a 7 day ACTV ticket for the vaporettis and the islands.

Am I correct??

Assuming you want to get to Rialto from the airport this sounds fine. Make sure you take the Orange Line and not the Blue Line (on the Alilaguna). The 7 day vaporetto pass (50 Euros) is a real bargain if you take advantage. Just using the vaporetto 8 times makes the pass a good investment.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Venice connected.... so many options SOOOO CONFUSING.

Can someone help me figure this out?

We arrive @ Marco Polo @ 11am on Oct 11 and are staying on Lido @ Villa Laguna. Our cruise with RCCL does not depart until Oct 13 5pm. Giving us 2-3 days to explore Venice.

So I am trying to figure out whats the most economic and convenient way

1) to get from Marco Polo to Villa Lagaun Hotel Lido

2) around Venice to/from Lido each day Oct 11-13

3)then to the cruise terminal.

4) An airport return transfer when our cruise returns (7 days later) to Marco Polo would also be nice.

Seems to me alilaguna w/ luggage maybe the more convenient option from airport to Villa Laguna Hotel Lido, and also from hotel to Cruise terminal and cruise terminal to airport.

But for exploring around Venice (no luggage) to/from Lido during the day and at night the ACTV seems to run more frequently.

Is there a multi day pass or a combination of passes that would accomplish my logistic needs?

Thanks for your help

Archived