Using a French Press onboard

calex1976

Its still a coffee maker... and could clog up the pipes. I dont think people know how tempermental the pipes are who would inflict this on other cruisers and think its ok.

Bring a pack of instant Starbucks you add to water.. this having to dispose of grounds is taking chances .. they wouldnt even let you put real toilet paper in the toilets for goodness sake.. it has to be that stuff that breaks down they have.

What dont people get.. no household objects and no coffee makers... it doesnt ... but if its not electric the rules dont apply to you.

Everyone thinks the rules dont apply to them!!!

Seriously ... think about it. You cant use Charmin in the toilets because its not biodegradable .. but you think throwing a bunch of coffee grounds into the sink is ok.. and even if you get most of them into the trash for the cabin steward to clean up.. you still have to wash the press out and grounds will go down into the sink.

Edited by firefly333
  • Haha 1

Its still a coffee maker... and could clog up the pipes. I dont think people know how tempermental the pipes are who would inflict this on other cruisers and think its ok.

Bring a pack of instant Starbucks you add to water.. this having to dispose of grounds is taking chances .. they wouldnt even let you put real toilet paper in the toilets for goodness sake.. it has to be that stuff that breaks down they have.

What dont people get.. no household objects and no coffee makers... it doesnt ... but if its not electric the rules dont apply to you.

Seriously ... think about it. You cant use Charmin in the toilets because its not biodegradable .. but you think throwing a bunch of coffee grounds into the sink is ok.. and even if you get most of them into the trash for the cabin steward to clean up.. you still have to wash the press out and grounds will go down into the sink.

With the areopress the grounds are held in the filter so nothing goes down the sink. Do some research before shouting next time.

• Like 1

With the areopress the grounds are held in the filter so nothing goes down the sink. Do some research before shouting next time.

Ive used a french press and they need to be washed out.

It also says no coffee makers... a french press is a coffee maker. It doesnt say ... the rules are up to your own interpretation. .. they are optional.

So you claim a french press isnt a coffee maker.. dont tell me its not.. whatever. .. the rules were posted. Some people think the rules dont apply to them. I get it.

the starbucks instant is almost as good as fresh brewed... its allowed.

Its also a kitchen appliance which is also not allowed.. so two rules apply. As I said you can say these rules dont apply .. lots of people do what they want.. thats up to you.. but trying to say it is not a kitchen appliance nor is a coffee maker .. ok..as I said whatever.

Edited by firefly333

I don't believe anyone said anything about putting coffee grounds down the sink or toilet. We put ours in the trash can.

OK whatever .. but its still a coffee maker and a appliance both of which are banned.

I just wouldnt come on here saying I was going to break Carnival's rules.. just do it .. like smuggling.. do it if you want .. but why come on here saying ahead of time you are doing it??

Just do it if you are going to .. its up to you. I break some rules .. but at least I understand Im breaking them and what the rules are.

OK whatever .. but its still a coffee maker and a appliance both of which are banned.

I just wouldnt come on here saying I was going to break Carnival's rules.. just do it .. like smuggling.. do it if you want .. but why come on here saying ahead of time you are doing it??

Just do it if you are going to .. its up to you. I break some rules .. but at least I understand Im breaking them and what the rules are.

It's not an appliance. It's not much difference than the drip cones you place over a cup and pour hot water through. This just has a plunger.

Edited by Lisah101

Curious where you got this list? It doesn't match with what's on Carnival's site, in their FAQ section. :confused:

Since susie8862 didn't answer, Mary Ellen, a quick Google search shows that she's quoting from the Royal Caribbean FAQ. As you point out, it's not the same wording as the Carnival FAQ.

firefly333 has asserted twice that Carnival's rules are being ignored when cruise guests pack a non-electric coffee maker like an Aeropress or a French Press, but doesn't offer us a quote from either the Royal Caribbean FAQ or the Carnival FAQ to support his claim.

firefly333 said in one post: "What dont people get.. no household objects and no coffee makers... it doesnt ... but if its not electric the rules dont apply to you." Royal Caribbean mentions coffee makers, but this is a Carnival board. Carnival's FAQ doesn't say "household objects", instead says "Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)" are banned.

I'd say a reasonable person would interpret this to mean household appliances which are electrical should be left at home, and to clarify this Carnival lists three obvious electric appliances that are dangerous. Each of the itemized examples have heating elements, and we all know fire aboard ship is not very desirable.

firefly333 is, imho, making the unreasonable assumption that any electrical OR household appliance is banned, since he wants the Aeropress and French Press banned. I say this is unreasonable because it's a broad reading of the restrictions and based on the examples given it's easy to infer that the problem is the heating element.

I bring my electric razor on board. It has a plug for charging and it's clearly a household appliance. Is it banned? Of course not. Even with a narrow reading of the FAQ, not ALL electrical and household appliances are banned.

firefly333 tries to build a case involving exactly what we should or shouldn't flush down the plumbing system. In this case he's engaging in pure speculation without quoting any cruise line's FAQ on this topic. I tried searching Carnival's FAQ section for words like "flush", "drain", "plumbing", or even "Charmin" :) which he mentions specifically. No luck.

So if I'm qualified to use my judgement when I avoid flushing my dirty laundry or even a Winnebago down my toilet, I'll also consider myself qualified to judge that an Aeropress or French Press is powerless to sink, set on fire, or otherwise damage a 100,000 ton oceangoing vessel, or to harm or interfere with firefly333's ability to enjoy his cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since susie8862 didn't answer, Mary Ellen, a quick Google search shows that she's quoting from the Royal Caribbean FAQ. As you point out, it's not the same wording as the Carnival FAQ.

firefly333 has asserted twice that Carnival's rules are being ignored when cruise guests pack a non-electric coffee maker like an Aeropress or a French Press, but doesn't offer us a quote from either the Royal Caribbean FAQ or the Carnival FAQ to support his claim.

firefly333 said in one post: "What dont people get.. no household objects and no coffee makers... it doesnt ... but if its not electric the rules dont apply to you." Royal Caribbean mentions coffee makers, but this is a Carnival board. Carnival's FAQ doesn't say "household objects", instead says "Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)" are banned.

I'd say a reasonable person would interpret this to mean household appliances which are electrical should be left at home, and to clarify this Carnival lists three obvious electric appliances that are dangerous. Each of the itemized examples have heating elements, and we all know fire aboard ship is not very desirable.

firefly333 is, imho, making the unreasonable assumption that any electrical OR household appliance is banned, since he wants the Aeropress and French Press banned. I say this is unreasonable because it's a broad reading of the restrictions and based on the examples given it's easy to infer that the problem is the heating element.

I bring my electric razor on board. It has a plug for charging and it's clearly a household appliance. Is it banned? Of course not. Even with a narrow reading of the FAQ, not ALL electrical and household appliances are banned.

firefly333 tries to build a case involving exactly what we should or shouldn't flush down the plumbing system. In this case he's engaging in pure speculation without quoting any cruise line's FAQ on this topic. I tried searching Carnival's FAQ section for words like "flush", "drain", "plumbing", or even "Charmin" :) which he mentions specifically. No luck.

So if I'm qualified to use my judgement when I avoid flushing my dirty laundry or even a Winnebago down my toilet, I'll also consider myself qualified to judge that an Aeropress or French Press is powerless to sink, set on fire, or otherwise damage a 100,000 ton oceangoing vessel, or to harm or interfere with firefly333's ability to enjoy his cruise.

Thank you, I knew someone else could word this better than I could.:)

• Like 1

I'm sure you will like the Aeropress, we've been very pleased we discovered it. Clean up is a slam dunk, and if you are stopping in Panama or Costa Rica you can pick up local coffee to try on your way home.

Unfortunately we are going to Mexico only, but I do love trying coffee from many nations. I buy unraosted beans from Sweet Maria's. So far Bolivian has been my favorite, but I am constantly trying new types.

Unfortunately we are going to Mexico only, but I do love trying coffee from many nations. I buy unraosted beans from Sweet Maria's. So far Bolivian has been my favorite, but I am constantly trying new types.

At the risk of a thread hijack, try Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend if you're making espresso with your roasted beans. I keep it to a city roast for these or maybe just at a full city roast (right at 2nd crack), wait at least 3 days for the beans to settle/outgas, and the resulting espresso is really great.

I like coffee well enough to roast at home, to hand-grind with a Hario Skerton grinder, and to drink my double espresso straight, but honestly most fresh & light-roasted beans are fine by me. The Monkey Blend is the only one I've tried that really jumps out at me as something very special.

Where would you wash your French press? In the stateroom sink? I only ask because I'm thinking of bringing a tea infuser mug to make tea, but I'm wondering about cleaning it after use.

I've decided on the Aeropress because it will be much easier to clean than the press. I think the Aeropress can be used for making tea also. If using a press I think I would shake the grounds out in the trash and wipe out what may be left. Any thing else I would rinse out in the sink, it is just silly to think the spoon full of grounds could actually stop up the plumbing on board.

I've decided on the Aeropress because it will be much easier to clean than the press. I think the Aeropress can be used for making tea also. If using a press I think I would shake the grounds out in the trash and wipe out what may be left. Any thing else I would rinse out in the sink, it is just silly to think the spoon full of grounds could actually stop up the plumbing on board.

Also if your using a french press you can bring your own gallon zip lock bags and shake your grounds into this and tissue to get it all out so it doesn't go down the pipes.

I've also considered french press because I enjoy a decent cup of coffee. The reason they don't want coffeemakers I believe is because of electricity overload and fire hazzard, you can check with a Carnival Rep if your not sure but I'm sure a coffee press would be no problem.

Of course I tend to drive 5 miles over the speed limit too ;)

Cheers, Carole

Well said and as another posted stated, much better than I could say it. As for the grounds, I agree about the ziplock bags and wiping out the press with a kleenex before rinsing. If a few grounds are going to clog up the plumbing system, I would hate to see what all the sand we all track back onto the ship and into the showers does to it, not to mention hair in the drains.:confused:

To O/P I don't think the water from room service is hot enough unless you can order it extra hot as someone else posted. But I think the hot water for tea from the lido deck would be fine. Maybe you could carry a small thermos to run up and get hot water there.

• Like 1

Hello, there are other options than down the sink! Like - in the trash can?

• Like 1

It is NOT an appliance. And while it is a coffee maker, clearly Carnival is intending to banish electric coffee makers - which is probably 99% of the market.

• 2 months later...

I decided on using a Aeropress, itr breaks no rules and was easy to use. Some days I made coffee in the room and sometimes on the Lido. Just used a Bubba Keg to get hot water then made my morning coffee. No one said a word about it and clean up was simple.Just drop the puck into a plate and wipe of the few grains left. BTW there is no chance that coffee grains could possibly stop up a septic system.

• 5 years later...
On 7/23/2012 at 3:22 AM, calex1976 said:

I am planning on bringing a small french press on board the Elation this October. Has any one ever used on for making fresh coffee? I'm not sure if the hot water from the coffee makers will be hot enough to brew in a press, but might try it.

I know they have free coffee, but I find it repulsive. And I refuse to buy the flavored coffees they sell, reminds me of over priced stuff Starbucks sells. I roast my on coffee and have become spoiled to the taste of fresh roasted.

If any one has any experience with a french press on board please let me know if it is possible to brew using the water they provide. We plan on bringing the press up to the Lido in the morning and enjoying our coffee on deck.

On 8/7/2012 at 6:23 PM, firefly333 said:

Ive used a french press and they need to be washed out.

It also says no coffee makers... a french press is a coffee maker. It doesnt say ... the rules are up to your own interpretation. .. they are optional.

So you claim a french press isnt a coffee maker.. dont tell me its not.. whatever. .. the rules were posted. Some people think the rules dont apply to them. I get it.

the starbucks instant is almost as good as fresh brewed... its allowed.

Its also a kitchen appliance which is also not allowed.. so two rules apply. As I said you can say these rules dont apply .. lots of people do what they want.. thats up to you.. but trying to say it is not a kitchen appliance nor is a coffee maker .. ok..as I said whatever.

Lord HELP US!!!!  I hope I never encounter YOU on a cruise. SUCH anger and negativity. No one said a word about washing grounds down the toilet or sinks. Geeezzzeeee!   😞  I truly believe the rule is to prevent people from bringing electrical appliances....coffee makers, irons....heating pads....things that can be left unattended and catch fire. Don't think anyone would care if a non-electrical coffee or tea device was brought onboard, but maybe it would be best to ask the CRUISE LINE rather than trust others who really don't know. BUT...I will say, with all the folks who have attested to bringing a coffee press and have NEVER had it confiscated, I'd say the cruise lines are OK with it, but then again, I'm not the 'safety patrol'.

I would think that the small amount of grounds used in a single serve press would be fine just flushed (its not solid or clumpy 😉

or you could cruise on the Aegean Odyssey and get a french press coffee every morning.

image.png.ae1a73473bed31ccba5388360393ecfa.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ludyboodie said:

Lord HELP US!!!!  I hope I never encounter YOU on a cruise. SUCH anger and negativity. No one said a word about washing grounds down the toilet or sinks. Geeezzzeeee!   😞  I truly believe the rule is to prevent people sexfrom bringing electrical appliances....coffee makers, irons....heating pads....things that can be left unattended and catch fire. Don't think anyone would care if a non-electrical coffee or tea device was brought onboard, but maybe it would be best to ask the CRUISE LINE rather than trust others who really don't know. BUT...I will say, with all the folks who have attested to bringing a coffee press and have NEVER had it confiscated, I'd say the cruise lines are OK with it, but then again, I'm not the 'safety patrol'.

You had to resurrect a 6 year old thread just to complain to 2 people.

Edited by Rosefloater
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1