Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

!

Was that on Carnival?

I really feel for the crew. It can only take one or two guest complaints and they are fired, according to the several books I have read from former crew members. They discipline a kid, the moron mom runs to guest services and says Mr. Carnival was mean to by kid and did XYZ, all of a sudden the crew member is off in the next port. There is very little risk to doing nothing for the crew member.

Sorry for your loss.. My mother in law passed away last December and always wanted to go to Alaska, we are going to be spreading her ashes while on board and our PVP was really great about letting us know what we need to do onboard.

As for the kids, it happens everyhwere. I have kids but they will not be running around the ship.. They know better.. They want to keep going on vacations they need to behave!

My condolences. Keep in mind that it is very noisy down where you will gather to do it, so it is really, really difficult to hear anyone speaking. I tried to read a poem, but people couldn't hear me.

Carnival should hire this captain.

With so many people posting that they smuggle alcohol on board, so many people chair hogs, so many people excusing bad behavior because "boys will be boys" and the list goes on, is it any wonder that their children behave like this?

I have a cruise scheduled for December, and based on threads from the last few days, my wife is seriously considering to cancel and just rent a cottage on a beach in the Caribbean for a week.

If these threads are indicative of who we will be with and what we will encounter, I don't see a point of going on a Carnival cruise.

Carnival is definitely my "last resort" in cruise lines, followed closely by RCCL - I won't cruise on those unless absolutely nothing else fits my plans and/or budget. The only time I ran into a problem with out-of-control kids was on a Carnival Freedom cruise in the Mediterranean, back in 2008. They kept jumping into the pool from the higher level of the deck (not like 2nd level - I don't know what it's called, it's the area where you take a few steps up to get to the hot tub). Anyway, it was like a 4-foot drop into the pool, and they kept climbing up there and jumping down, even though the rules specifically said "no jumping or diving". They weren't paying any attention to anyone already in the pool, and after one little s**t almost landed on my head, I went to an attendant on deck and asked that he tell the kids to stop. He did, and they stopped for about 5 minutes...then they went right back to it. I briefly considered doing something mean to them but couldn't think of anything so I got out of the pool and didn't go back the entire cruise. I later noticed that most adults would step into the pool for a few minutes, until they encountered that group of kids, and then they got out.

However, if the same kid(s) are running repeatedly past me and running into me when I'm walking in a hallway (as long as it's carpeted area, not out on deck and not near stairs) - I can't guarantee that I won't "accidentally" trip them up. Not to injure - just to send a message (or to send them away bawling, whatever). If they can have their fun, I'll have mine.

I'm just off the Liberty this Saturday, 7/28...I barely noticed any children.

That's the same day we got off. I guess you got lucky, then. I had several different groups literally run into me as I was walking; I saw one boy fall down the stairs while running with others; one child almost knocked my father over; I saw many, many groups running up and down the promenade and heard the photographer tell them to stop running; saw three kids running up around on the second level at the back where it overlooks the lower level in the silver olympian dining room at the end of the late dining on the last sea night; saw many groups of kids riding the elevators and pushing in and out; had several groups of kids pass me running up and down the hall on the "upper" level (deck six) while I walked to our cabin at the aft of the ship.

Where were you hiding that you missed all this?? Or maybe you still have young kids and are still able to "tune it out"? I know I used to be able to do that better, but not anymore!!

So sorry about your mom, but what a wonderful way to honor her.

DH is a retired high school teacher and after 35 years in the classroom, he has "the voice" and "the look" down pat. Stops kids from doing most anything right in their tracks.

We also would probably never cruise during spring break or summer vacation, just because of the number of kids. We have our own two, now 22 and 20, and that is enough. Of course if the price were right, we might reconsider.

sorry about your mother, but kids running? i think that's what kids do. i did it, and my kids still do it.

i too wish i could still do it, but gravity got in the way.

Really? There's a place for the kind of running we're talking about - and on a ship where there are crowds of people on it is not theplace. Also, running up and down the narrow corridors of the staterooms is not the place. If your kids want to run around like that you should take a land vacation where there is a lot of space. Kids do a lot of things but there is a place and a time for certain things. My kids andnow my grandchildren were/are not allowed to run around like monkeys whenever and wherever they want. Just common courtesy and good manners. If they really need to burn off energy - they should run on the jogging track if they can't control their legs.

Wow, we are cruising on the Liberty on Sunday - so excited! - with two young daughters and we will absolutely be keeping tabs on their behavior. No running around and their locations will be accounted for at all times.

My DH and I are both teachers and we have no problem speaking to other people's children if they are impacting on our vacation. If it's a good time to be running, by all means, run. If you bump into me or my children, keep me awake, or disrupt my time with my family, I will let you know, whether your parents are watching or not. :D

Wow, we are cruising on the Liberty on Sunday - so excited! - with two young daughters and we will absolutely be keeping tabs on their behavior. No running around and their locations will be accounted for at all times.

My DH and I are both teachers and we have no problem speaking to other people's children if they are impacting on our vacation. If it's a good time to be running, by all means, run. If you bump into me or my children, keep me awake, or disrupt my time with my family, I will let you know, whether your parents are watching or not. :D

Can I cruise with you? I am a teacher and my wife is a prison guard, so our children have no chance.....not that they dont try.

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

I too cruise during off peak times for kids. And before anyone says, no I do not hate kids. I hate that their parents do not even try to bring them upright. ;)

No accusations from me! We cruise during off peak times too and I have three kids that come with me. They don't want the crowds of naughty kids either! It's just not pleasant.

OP, I am so sorry about your mom. What a wonderful way to honor her. I think it's really neat that they gave you the coordinates for where you spread her ashes. I hope that despite the kids your family was able to create some new happy memories and to heal together.

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

If this is the "caliber" of passengers that Carnival attracts these days, I'm once again very glad that I don't really cruise with them anymore.

I do like the idea a couple of posts above, discipline via a strategically spilled beer.

If this is the "caliber" of passengers that Carnival attracts these days, I'm once again very glad that I don't really cruise with them anymore.

I do like the idea a couple of posts above, discipline via a strategically spilled beer.

who u talkin to

For those who are in law enforcement, or have family memebers that are, people like that are called "job security"

speak to my kids, and i'll be speaking to you.

I was the op, and the person whose post you were quoting, so I'm not sure what your point is...????

However, I'll bet any children running around in an elevator with me in it will be sorry they did!! Perhaps you are just attempting to "stir the post" instead of the pot?? :rolleyes:

So where exactly did he think the kids were running around - on the track? Of course it is somewhere on teh ship, and htere is nowhere that anyone should be running.

There's always a few people on here who I think are just stirring the pot. No one can really think that "kids will be kids" and should do whatever they darn well please on a cruise (ie running, screaming, ruining ice cream machines) unless they have unruly kids themselves who they choose not to discipline. These are the same folks who will say they were great parents and it's just luck of the draw how your kids turn out.

I was the op, and the person whose post you were quoting, so I'm not sure what your point is...????

However, I'll bet any children running around in an elevator with me in it will be sorry they did!! Perhaps you are just attempting to "stir the post" instead of the pot?? :rolleyes:

you apparently missed the metaphor. perhaps if i introduced the chicken...

speak to my kids, and i'll be speaking to you.

I hope that what you have to say will be an apology for your kids unacceptable behavior, and assure him that the children will be spoken to teach them that they should respect other people. And that you will tell your kids that there is a time to play and that time is not when it could accidentally hurt others.

I hope that's what you have to say.

Archived