Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

I think that is EVERY cruise line whether it's dealing with unruly kids, drunks, or not enforcing dining dress codes.

No, Donna, not every line has problems with unruly brats, and misbehaving drunken adults.

On some lines, children are parented by their parents who are not off drinking themselves into oblivion.

Some lines have a crew who enforce rules of behavior.

Some passengers behave with respect towards others.

And believe it or not, some lines have passengers who understand that one doesn't wear "wife-beaters" and baseball caps on formal night.

Of course no one here has a kid that is naughty! LOL

That is a great idea, with a station for passengers to post photos they took of rude kids to be played on the big screen. Maybe match up the bad kids picture with the rest of their family or group they came on board with. That would help stop the run-a-muck kid problem.

Sorry, I'll take pics of a lot of things on my cruise including the food. But there is no way I'll waste my time taking pics of rude kids on a cruise.

No, Donna, not every line has problems with unruly brats, and misbehaving drunken adults.

On some lines, children are parented by their parents who are not off drinking themselves into oblivion.

Some lines have a crew who enforce rules of behavior.

Some passengers behave with respect towards others.

And believe it or not, some lines have passengers who understand that one doesn't wear "wife-beaters" and baseball caps on formal night.

Of course no one here has a kid that is naughty! LOL

In most cases those lines that have less trouble with passengers tend to cater to an older crowd or are cruise lines that are a lot more expensive than Carnival.

CCL= people of walmart.

CCL cheerleaders will say that they shop at walmart, don't see these people, they are not trashy, blah, blah, blah.

But on board, it is a different story, confirmed by post like this. Kids running wild because their parents have as little control overf them as they do on land, confrontations over chair hogs, chicken playing thugs in the hall ways, the list goes on and on.

ok, to start with I think anyone who goes on Carnival and expects it to be stuffy like some other lines doesn't really understand what they have booked. I enjoy the kids running and having fun up and down the decks, staircases, or any other place they choose..... enjoy it kids your only young once. I also enjoy watching people drinking at the bar as well so maybe it's just me. if anyone is looking for me I will be the one on the liberty on 8/11 running with my kids.:p

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

Too many parents use the cruise to take a vacation from parenting. I like the concept of a kiddy timeout/jail where the parents must come personally to 'bail'them out. I also give my kids a lot of freedom on a cruise but they understand the behavioral expectations. "Don't piss dad off, he takes away privileges". My kids are fully aware of the consequences to be imposed for failure to act appropriately. This works because it is applied at home and the family meeting before vacation we go over the consequences, and also any reward.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

ok, to start with I think anyone who goes on Carnival and expects it to be stuffy like some other lines doesn't really understand what they have booked. I enjoy the kids running and having fun up and down the decks, staircases, or any other place they choose..... enjoy it kids your only young once. I also enjoy watching people drinking at the bar as well so maybe it's just me. if anyone is looking for me I will be the one on the liberty on 8/11 running with my kids.:p
Thanks for the warning.

My condolences for your loss.

Today while having lunch at panera I witnessed a young girl probably 8-11 years in age "dancing" around at the end of her table. Parents and siblings sitting at the table not paying much attention to the dancer. A couple tried to walk behind her in the walkway as she was twirling and moving she bumped into the couple walking causing a drink to be spilled over the guy. NOT ONE person at the table said anything. The girl walked away to the other side of the table.

The guy with a drink all down him did not even say anything. Some Kids and families these days are aloof to their actions and how they affect others.

It's a shame!

I'll be the first to say it, "Kids will be kids!"

yes they will, which is why parents should be parents...the job of raising children is what they signed up for.

Not every kid that runs is going to be a problem, but they should not treat a cruise ship, or hotel, like it's a playground. Too often kids race the stairwells and smash into people, or come close to doing so. On my last cruise I lost a toenail and broke my toe because a kid came flying down the stairs and whipped around the corner and stepped on my foot. I've seen people get knocked down, including including elderly folks.

I'm not expecting "stuffy". I am, however, expecting safety!! Kids running amok - without or without their parents - on a crowded cruise ship (or any other crowded, multi-leveled, slippery when wet, venue) is simply not safe. Not for the kids, and not for the people they run into. If you or your kids do it - shame on you.

I'm not expecting "stuffy". I am, however, expecting safety!! Kids running amok - without or without their parents - on a crowded cruise ship (or any other crowded, multi-leveled, slippery when wet, venue) is simply not safe. Not for the kids, and not for the people they run into. If you or your kids do it - shame on you.

+1 Some people have absolutely no consideration for people around them.

yes they will, which is why parents should be parents...the job of raising children is what they signed up for.

Not every kid that runs is going to be a problem, but they should not treat a cruise ship, or hotel, like it's a playground. Too often kids race the stairwells and smash into people, or come close to doing so. On my last cruise I lost a toenail and broke my toe because a kid came flying down the stairs and whipped around the corner and stepped on my foot. I've seen people get knocked down, including including elderly folks.

On this cruise, I saw a group of 5 kids racing down a stairwell. One of them, who couldn't have been more than 10 or so, slipped and landed on his back. He started screaming and I rushed over to see if he was ok. One of the older children put her hands over his mouth to stop him from screaming and all the others surrounded him and were telling him to shut up. Thank God he was ok...

Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

That is a great idea, with a station for passengers to post photos they took of rude kids to be played on the big screen. Maybe match up the bad kids picture with the rest of their family or group they came on board with. That would help stop the run-a-muck kid problem.

This is a great idea, however if crew members are afraid to firmly stop this dangerous behavior on the part of some children, it's not likely any pictures will ever appear. We've only seen truly misbehaving children, aside from CCL, on one HAL cruise. The captain of the ship quickly put a stop to it and announced the same to the entire ship. Don't believe you'll ever see that happening on a CCL ship. :(

Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Being I don't believe anyone was thrown off for running, your entire post is suspect.

Don't forget the kids that run out of the elevator and when you get in, discover that they pushed every button-oh, aren't they just sooo cute???

Or, when you want to get out of the elevator, they jump in without letting those in the elevator a chance to get out. Come to think of it, their parents do that too.

Was on the Star Princess two weeks ago, kids were well behaved, and no, I don't consider Princess "stuffy".

Children running in inappropriate places can certainly ruin your whole day and I can empathize with anyone and everyone who have had this experience. However, I just do not think this situation can be entirely prevented on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter. The fact is that children are going to run--anytime and anywhere. It's called being a kid. The best thing to do is try to control the inappropriate running.

I learned a "trick" once upon a time to somewhat rein-in this behavior. Whenever children are running inappropriately; state in a good command voice (every parent has one) the word "WALK!!". This simple command will generally stop the behavior "dead in its tracks". Then all parties can go about their business safely. Give it a try next time and see if it doesn't work.

Thank you. I agree - I also have kids - now 19 and 22. They have cruised with me since they were 6 and 9. They know personally what it is like to get mom mad!! :o :D I'm not saying they were perfect on cruises when they were younger, but I do believe they were much better than many of the kids on the Liberty! I like your solution!! Many times, I think, parents believe the best of their kids and don't realize the trouble they are causing - giving them warnings gives the parents a chance and lets the kids know that there will be consequences if they continue to misbehave.

I think the statement in red is so true. I would want someone to tell me if my son was running around wild.

However, there will always be the parents who would not believe it was their child who was causing problems.

On the cruises I have taken with my son, he always has to tell me where he is going on the ship. Every once in a while I will go check to see if he is where he says and how he is behaving. I always think this is best because he never knows when mom is going to show up. If I catch him misbehaving, he is stuck with me the remainder of the cruise! I am not saying he is perfect.

Sorry for your loss.. My mother in law passed away last December and always wanted to go to Alaska, we are going to be spreading her ashes while on board and our PVP was really great about letting us know what we need to do onboard.

As for the kids, it happens everyhwere. I have kids but they will not be running around the ship.. They know better.. They want to keep going on vacations they need to behave!

First off, God Speed for your Mother.

Secondly, OH BOY! Another rotten kid thread!!!

I'll be the first to say it, "Kids will be kids!"

kids will be kids... but parents need to be parents.... I cannot imagine letting children run all over the place on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, several thousand feet deep! Personally, I would keep them near and watch them carefully, making sure they didnt get hurt, or interfere with another familys vacation who have paid hard earned dollars to be there too.

Don't parents wonder what if, they would slip on the stairs... or fall and hit their head on the slippery lido deck. Or slip and fall into the pool, or ... so many different things. A ship should be treated as a small city when it comes to letting kids run alone... Would you turn them loose at home? of course, there is not an ocean for them to fall into...

Archived