Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

Before I started teaching I worked for Club Med for several years at their family resorts. Some people choose to believe that because they are paying customers, they - and their children - are entitled to do whatever they like, whenever they like to. It happened at every village where I worked. The entitlement of some people is just mind-blowing. You can make announcements, distribute hand-outs, but you are just preaching to the choir. These entitled people know what they are supposed to do, but simply don't care because they are "on vacation." Sadly they have forgotten that so is everyone else around them.

Just some additional thoughts. ;)

Don't forget the kids that run out of the elevator and when you get in, discover that they pushed every button-oh, aren't they just sooo cute???

Or, when you want to get out of the elevator, they jump in without letting those in the elevator a chance to get out. Come to think of it, their parents do that too.

Was on the Star Princess two weeks ago, kids were well behaved, and no, I don't consider Princess "stuffy".

This is one reason I take the stairs. But it's frequently not kids who push every button; it's other passengers getting on and off at every floor between the one I get in on and the one I want to get off on.

because there are more parents that don't let their kids run amuck.

and i will not allow my kids to be lumped in with "all kids are terrors" mind set.

and no one can differentiate the two on board by sight.

and take a look at the posts above directed at me. i'm the "good parent" (in my mind) with the "good kids" (in my mind) , and i'm being told to publish my sail dates so "they" can avoid me.

Nope ALL People, young or not, can only be differentieted by their behavior. No one is lumping all kids together except you. Don't expect me not to speak to your child if they run into me or are playing kissy face with their new boyfriend & blocking the stairs. Your daughter you never let out of your sight on a cruise is at least 14 right? Anybody else see warning lights flashing?

I would also speak to an adult who cuts in line or shoves me out of the way or elbows be in the head. Happens way too frequently since I'm 4'10". MOST of the kids and parents on cruises are wonderful. A don't run or excuse me usually works just fine. If it doesn't why should the small minority ruin cruises for the rest of us?

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

How wonderful -- a return to civility.

I'm wondering if you were the "gentleman" sitting next to me in an otherwise completely empty Wendy's some years ago. Not a sentence came out of his mouth that did not include at least two or three F-bombs. When I asked him if he could quit saying that word, he actually turned to me and asked, "What word?" Apparently it was so ingrained in his conversational skills (and I use that term lightly) that he didn't even understand that it would offend some people.

If this is the "caliber" of passengers that Carnival attracts these days, I'm once again very glad that I don't really cruise with them anymore.

I do like the idea a couple of posts above, discipline via a strategically spilled beer.

Ah, but what a waste of a good (and over-priced) beverage.

A stretegically placed knee or foot can put a quick stop to kids running down steps or hallway.

Sorry if it is your kid who has to sepnd spend the evening in the ship infimary with ice on his fat lip...know what your kid is doing and you wont have this probelm.

Flame if you wish, I just feel that strongly about it and wouldn't feel any guilt in doing such.

Granted....parents need to learn how to control their angels...but if I saw you intentionally trip a child, regardless of what he/she was doing, I'd be in the brig because I'd would have just given you at least a fat lip if not worse. :eek:

I shattered both wrists because another kid thought it woud be funny to trip me once during recess (many many years ago).

Of course one can differentiate. I am not judging any child by their character, that being a "terror" or a "good" kid. I judge by the behavior that presents itself at the time. If a child runs past me at the pool 3 times and steps on my pool bag each time, I might ask them on the 4th pass to please not do that again. What's the big deal? It's not a terrible kid, just a behavior that I would like to not happen again.

What's with the overreacting here? Most of us are parents here, no one said "all kids are terrible," but children who are so out of control that it is impacting another person's well-earned vacation should stop that particular behavior. Yes, it's always best when their own parents can see that their children are impacting someone else's enjoyment, but if they don't, what's the big deal here?

of course, if your bored and sitting watching anyones behaviour, you can profile them.

the op was stating more than one barreling into her parent. she did fail to mention if any of them said "sorry". i wonder if they need to be spoken to.

i have also had adults knock into me. i have also had elevator doors open, and the person blocking me to get off just stands there, or attempts to board the cab.

i wonder if people are bold enought to "speak" to them.

A stretegically placed knee or foot can put a quick stop to kids running down steps or hallway.

Sorry if it is your kid who has to sepnd spend the evening in the ship infimary with ice on his fat lip...know what your kid is doing and you wont have this probelm.

Flame if you wish, I just feel that strongly about it and wouldn't feel any guilt in doing such.

2469x12.jpg

You may want to get yourself some help.

So you are advocating assault? Wow.

So you are advocating assault? Wow.

There was a guy in another thread saying he would shoot and kill a child doing the flaming poo bag prank. Not too long back another tough guy said he would physically dump out anyone he found in his chair after he hogged it.

Some real winners.

There was a guy in another thread saying he would shoot and kill a child doing the flaming poo bag prank. Not too long back another tough guy said he would physically dump out anyone he found in his chair after he hogged it.

Some real winners.

Some people either have anger issues or just like to play tough guy sitting behind the screen in their mother's basement.

Some people either have anger issues or just like to play tough guy sitting behind the screen in their mother's basement.

I call this the Napoleon Complex....ya know.....Little all over......needs to compensate in a different way for what he is lacking.

Before I started teaching I worked for Club Med for several years at their family resorts. Some people choose to believe that because they are paying customers, they - and their children - are entitled to do whatever they like, whenever they like to. It happened at every village where I worked. The entitlement of some people is just mind-blowing. You can make announcements, distribute hand-outs, but you are just preaching to the choir. These entitled people know what they are supposed to do, but simply don't care because they are "on vacation." Sadly they have forgotten that so is everyone else around them.

Just some additional thoughts. ;)

Parents are on vacation 7 excited, kids are on vacation & excited. Adults & children will all do things they would not normally do. Kids also have the immature brain that means they can't forsee consequences like an adult would and as anyone who has taught middle school can tell you, will do things in a group they would never do alone, even h82seaUgo's perfect children.:rolleyes:

The "entitled" people have "entitled" children with back up because if someone "speaks" to their child the parent will "speak" to them in the words of some of our posters and the kids know this.

Staff members in private businesses like cruise ships & resorts are in a hard spot. They can't be seen as cutting into profits etc. The companies need to have policies in place for dealing with the small number of vacion goers who make everyone elses vacation miserable.

Archived