Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

luv2seau,

while you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", i certainly hope i don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

like!!

Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

You need to realize that some people are lazy, incompetent parents.

To the people who say "speak to my kid and I will speak to you", I say be careful who your kids run into and who you "speak" to. If it's one thing I've learned while living in a big city is that you never know who the person standing next you is, where he's from, or what issues he may have. Some people are powder kegs just waiting to explode. If your child is being unruly and an ADULT tries to correct him/her then don't see it as an insult, but a helping hand.

You need to realize that some people are lazy, incompetent parents.

To the people who say "speak to my kid and I will speak to you", I say be careful who your kids run into and who you "speak" to. If it's one thing I've learned while living in a big city is that you never know who the person standing next you is, where he's from, or what issues he may have. Some people are powder kegs just waiting to explode. If your child is being unruly and an ADULT tries to correct him/her then don't see it as an insult, but a helping hand.

just what a parent wants speaking to their chilld; a powder keg jist waiting to explode.

not your concern.

I just figured since you were so aggressive about the topic of someone talking to your child about behavior that you had experienced this. Guess not.

Most people, children or not, are taught at some point in their life to apologize if they do something that bothers another person.

So, I apologize if you take offense at my question regarding your children's behavior.

I just figured since you were so aggressive about the topic of someone talking to your child about behavior that you had experienced this. Guess not.

Most people, children or not, are taught at some point in their life to apologize if they do something that bothers another person.

So, I apologize if you take offense at my question regarding your children's behavior.

wrong. if they or i walk into you, you will certainly get an "excuse me", or "i'm sorry".

Hi - we just got off the Liberty yesterday. I'm not doing an indepth review, so feel free to ask questions if you have any and I will be happy to answer if I know. I just wanted to relay a couple of things:

1) We scattered our mother's ashes on the first sea day. We were taken down to deck 1 at the aft of the ship. The environmental officer met us in the lobby next to guest services and his assistant along with two other crew members accompanied us down. They checked the wind and showed us where we could release the urn, then stepped away to give us the privacy to do so. Afterward, my father received a letter delivered to his room with the coordinates, though there was no identifying information on the letter with the exception of it being addressed to my brother, instead of my father. :eek: Oh well, they tried...

2) Children were a real problem on this cruise. Not the number of children, after all it is summer vacation so we expected many, many kids. No, the problem was that so many of them were left to their own devices to run amok on the ship. More than one plowed into us as they ran around apparently unsupervised, and one almost knocked over my 76 year old, grieving, father. I personally saw crew members (one was a photographer) attempt to stop the kids from running, but they kept right on going, simply ignoring the crew. I'm sure none of your children would ever behave thusly, but I'm here to tell you, someone's children are. :mad: People, please police your kids - or the rest of us will have to start. Ask my kids, you don't want to see me mad!!

You have my sympathy for the loss of your mom.

Too bad there were some kids running amok. I think you have the right idea, if the parents don't do it, someone else will have to.

I tend to be in the group that tries not to cruise when the kid count is high. I have seen a few "wild" ones, and been jostled etc. I usually shrug it off and ask them to be more careful. Some apologize, which I respect, and some ignore you and keep on going. But, cruise ships are no different than any other place, some people behave the way you expect a gentle person to behave, and some don't. Age is not always a predictor.

My dad's cremains are at the national cemetery. From time to time I go there and find some comfort, I miss our chats. You can do the same thing by going to the sea. I will have to think about that a while.

You have my sympathy for the loss of your mom.

My dad's cremains are at the national cemetery. From time to time I go there and find some comfort, I miss our chats. You can do the same thing by going to the sea. I will have to think about that a while.

Thank you. I would have liked to have somewhere to go to remember her, but you are right, I can go to the sea. Thank you for sharing that - I didn't think of it that way. I know we did what she wanted, but was sorry we couldn't put her cremains somewhere I could visit. I can't tell you how much your kind words mean to me!!

We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

That's amazing. I've never been on a cruise where the behavior of the children was so bad crew members had to monitor the ship and take names. Was this on a Carnival ship or another cruiseline? Was it during the school year?

First, condolences on the passing of your mother. Glad to see Carnival was helpful in setting this up. As for the child issue - it stinks, but unless parents step up to police their own kids, probably won't change. Maybe the crew should "capture" the runners/misbehavors, bring them to guest services and page their parents. When the parents show up, issue them a warning. Second warning = confinement to cabin/curfew. Third warning= removal of family from ship. Maybe this would work, and strike fear into parent's hearts! :p:D (and yes, I have kids - my kids have been cruising with us on every cruise since they have been 4 and 7 - they are now 21 and 24!)

I agree, and in addition to the paging the parents, they could lock the parents S/S card so it wont do anything, purchase, let in room, what ever, that way they will get the hint quick,

Thank you. I would have liked to have somewhere to go to remember her, but you are right, I can go to the sea. Thank you for sharing that - I didn't think of it that way. I know we did what she wanted, but was sorry we couldn't put her cremains somewhere I could visit.

We scattered my dad's ashes in the Chesapeake Bay, where he loved to sail on his boat. Now whenever I walk on the shore, I feel like he's with me.

It is funny how we change as we age, I am only 47, but when out in public, at the mall, store, cruise, movie, what ever, I don't hessitate to say "HEY" to brats at are acting up.

As for the parent that might object to my correcting their kid here is my plan if confronted.

Tell them what the kid was doing, if they still want to bitch or fight, call security/police and tell them how the child was acting up because they could not find their parent, they were lost and very upset. Really make the parent sound bad.

It is funny how we all dissliked how our dad acted when a kid, and now we act like them, or at least I do,

kids will be kids. that is why we cruise when school is in session.

You are right, kids will be kids, but they don't have to be brats.

Act correctly or get off the ship.

I hate that comment, kids will be kids, and also the, you have to let them make mistakes, both of them drive me nuts.

I always remember my son's girl friend that at 15 had to have a motor cycle and her parents got her one for her 15th birthday. She did not even have a car license, and was going to get her motor cycle license. Well long story short, she was riding the bike, with mom following in front of her in the car (I guess that is how the training works in Colorado) and she tried to show off to a rider coming at her (the little piece sign out to the side) and did not see the traffic stop, and almost lost her leg, But hey she did get to ride in a helicopter.

and what result do you think would happen after a running child plows into a powder keg as that poster suggests?

I think that "powder keg" is going to have to answer to me. I will defend my child against any stranger that is meddling in my business any day of the week.

We scattered my dad's ashes in the Chesapeake Bay, where he loved to sail on his boat. Now whenever I walk on the shore, I feel like he's with me.

We paid the funeral parlor to hire a boat to scatter my dad's ashes (who was a hs biology teacher) off Point Lookout on Long Island in 2000. Now, whenever we cruise one of my kids never fail to look over the edge of our balcony railing and say "Grandpa's with us!" At least we know they will never forget him.:)

Archived