Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

you actually have no idea what you are talking about...especially if you think Heald doesn't have small kids.

Actually, I have to rescind that post. My research led me to a dialogue about the user h82seaugo which mistakenly led me to believe that it was him.

Hi - we just got off the Liberty yesterday. I'm not doing an indepth review, so feel free to ask questions if you have any and I will be happy to answer if I know. I just wanted to relay a couple of things:

1) We scattered our mother's ashes on the first sea day. We were taken down to deck 1 at the aft of the ship. The environmental officer met us in the lobby next to guest services and his assistant along with two other crew members accompanied us down. They checked the wind and showed us where we could release the urn, then stepped away to give us the privacy to do so. Afterward, my father received a letter delivered to his room with the coordinates, though there was no identifying information on the letter with the exception of it being addressed to my brother, instead of my father. :eek: Oh well, they tried...

2) Children were a real problem on this cruise. Not the number of children, after all it is summer vacation so we expected many, many kids. No, the problem was that so many of them were left to their own devices to run amok on the ship. More than one plowed into us as they ran around apparently unsupervised, and one almost knocked over my 76 year old, grieving, father. I personally saw crew members (one was a photographer) attempt to stop the kids from running, but they kept right on going, simply ignoring the crew. I'm sure none of your children would ever behave thusly, but I'm here to tell you, someone's children are. :mad: People, please police your kids - or the rest of us will have to start. Ask my kids, you don't want to see me mad!!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and offer my heartfelt sympathy. I cannot imagine losing my mother.

As for the unruly kids issue and wanting to say something....my question is, why not? I hosestly believe that part of the problem with kids these days is that they count on people being too politically correct to say anything to kids they don't know. I am a firm believer in the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" theory and think it's a GREAT idea to say something to a misbehaving child so he/she doesn't feel they can get away with it. Imagine if kids knew they would be called out by anyone witnessing their behavior? I bet they'd act some better.

I have no issue with someone speaking to my children about their behavior and have let all my neighbors know that if they see one of mine up to no-good, they should feel comfortable talking to my kid and telling me. Parents certainly do NOT know what their kid is doing every minute of the day and being told is good. I won't tolerate someone being ugly about it though. THat's uncalled for and doesn't model the respectful behavior we'd like the little darlins to learn.

Actually, I have to rescind that post. My research led me to a dialogue about the user h82seaugo which mistakenly led me to believe that it was him.

Glad you figured it out. Take at look at h8t's profile pic on cruise critic - short man, woman, boy, girl. Unless he has changed it since I saw it. Definitely some short man syndrome going on. Explains all of his posts!!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and offer my heartfelt sympathy. I cannot imagine losing my mother.

As for the unruly kids issue and wanting to say something....my question is, why not? I hosestly believe that part of the problem with kids these days is that they count on people being too politically correct to say anything to kids they don't know. I am a firm believer in the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" theory and think it's a GREAT idea to say something to a misbehaving child so he/she doesn't feel they can get away with it. Imagine if kids knew they would be called out by anyone witnessing their behavior? I bet they'd act some better.

I have no issue with someone speaking to my children about their behavior and have let all my neighbors know that if they see one of mine up to no-good, they should feel comfortable talking to my kid and telling me. Parents certainly do NOT know what their kid is doing every minute of the day and being told is good. I won't tolerate someone being ugly about it though. THat's uncalled for and doesn't model the respectful behavior we'd like the little darlins to learn.

Thank you for your sympathies. I agree with you - it does take a village. And it takes children knowing the village is watching. Children who have no village really do feel its loss. And they are the ones who act up and act out.

First' date=' to the OP, my condolences in the loss of your mother. I'm so glad that your family was able to fulfill her wishes and have that special tribute to her. I lost my mom 7 years ago, and it is such a difficult thing to go through. My dad took our family on a cruise 6 months after her passing, and it was a special time together.

I've read a good number of the posts (but admittedly not all of them) regarding posters' opinions on child behavior and the parents charged with raising them. I'm a little surprised that some of you threaten to harm children in response to their misbehavior (kind of makes you wonder what additional behavior they may learn), and I'm also concerned that you judge parents so thoroughly and negatively based on the kids' actions while on vacation.

What bothers me most about it is something that happened on my very recent cruise on the Legend. We took my son, who turned 11 on the cruise, to celebrate his birthday. On his actual birthday, after we had sat down at the table in the MDR, we decided to allow him to have a soda at dinner (this has NEVER happened, so it was a big deal that made him very excited), but he realized he had left his soda coupons his aunt gave him in the cabin. He asked could he go get them. He had explored the ship a bit and knew his way around, so we allowed him to do that. A few minutes later, I was horrified to look up and see him RUNNING back to the table. :eek: You can rest assured, that despite what you may think, this is not appropriate behavior in our eyes, and neither have we allowed or encouraged that kind of thing at home. I gestured for him to stop, and I spoke with him very firmly at the table when he arrived. I also spoke with him about it again when we were alone that evening. But it still bothered me. For one, we had allowed him a little more freedom on this cruise, in fact, even encouraged it. I realized there was a good chance he may have bothered other passengers on another occassion or two as well. I will say that I followed him more than once to make sure that he was behaving appropriately while trying to give him some independence, and I didn't witness anything else so horrifying, except he did step in front of a person one time because she was moving slower than he wanted to move (he wasn't running). I thought he got a little too close, in my opinion, but he didn't bump into or touch the other person.

As if it wasn't bad enough at the time, now I read all these comments that confirm that, had you been there, you would have thought very poorly of me, assured that I am a bad parent who neglects my parental duties. Worse, you would want to trip my child, put him in his place, have him kicked off the ship, give him a piece of your mind, have his picture posted to publicly shame both him and me, and so on. You think he should not be in public without constant supervision.

Here's where I'm going with this (and thanks if you have stuck with me here)...if you have been reading my review, you know that my DS has Aspergers, an autism spectrum disorder. We have spent a lot of time and used therapists to try to teach him social graces, a sense of personal space, and impulse control, issues that some kids with autism struggle with. Unfortunately, it has not "stuck" 100%, although I must say he has made and continues to make huge strides, largely in part to our continued attempts to put him out there. We have always supervised him very closely, to the point that some people blame his "issues" on our smothering him...we can't win. My point is, you have no idea what my child is dealing with or any of the others you judge so harshly by their behaviors. Neither do you know what the parents have or haven't done to try to address the problems and still raise independent children.

If you happened to be on our cruise, I apologize if my son bothered you. He probably didn't apologize (even though we have attempted to teach him to do so), because he is completely incapable of discerning whether or not he bothered someone else around him. He is pretty unaware that others are around him as much as possible, because that makes him feel safer. I also want to tell you that we are trying really hard to be good parents. We are trying to teach him right from wrong, and we are trying to make the best decisions we can about giving him increased independence to practice those things, knowing full well that he will fail sometimes. We know (and we pray) that one day he will have to live on his own and do the best he can to fit in society, to hold a job, and to take care of himself. In my review, some people have told me they are pleased with our parenting efforts and our attempts to show DS new experiences that expand his boundaries. But, then I read the comments some of you have made, and I feel like you think we should either keep him at home or stay with him every minute.

Those children that you consider brats or that you think should be harmed....you have no idea what their story is. You have no right to assume their parents don't care or don't know how to parent. You have no right to assume that you are better equipped to handle their misdeeds than those who know them, those who have raised and loved them for many years before the few days you spent with them. You have no right to puff out your chest and feel powerful through threatening to deal with children who are unruly because their parents obviously cannot. Granted, not all parents are perfect, and we know that because people are not perfect...even you or your kids, despite what some of you would have us believe.

I refuse to keep my imperfect kids home. And they are both imperfect. MY five year old also bumped into someone in the very crowded pool, and I was right beside her - I couldn't have stopped it if I wanted to. I was also right beside her when she wanted to get in the hot tub, so I could guide her in behaving properly there. I am blessed to be able to and to be interested in showing them the world, and I will continue to do so. I will also continue to encourage my son to be increasingly independent and to interact with other people in society, and I will let him fail. I will use those mistakes, should I see them, to try to guide him to do better next time. I personally think that makes me a pretty good parent.[/quote']

I usually wouldnt quote a huge post, but your post was so good I didnt want to butcher it. I think the issue here is more roving packs of kids acting poorly away from their parent. Most people who are actual parents in the real world understand that being a parent is an ongoing process, your child running across the MDR would not even register on my radar, unless you clearly did not care.

BTW, I teach children with special needs all day long, and I have messed up on ocassion. I was at Costco a while back, and the guy in front of me was taking what seemed like days to fill up his soda, and was blocking the entire machine. It was over 100 degrees and I was dead thirsty, so I got huffy but didnt say anything. Thank god, he turned around and it was clear he was an adult with special needs, and was taking his time to make sure the lid was on completely. I felt like a double jackhole, especially given my job! So on behalf of jackholes everywhere, I apologize, we all screw up now and then, even those who should know better!

If the parent won't the village will. Your kids will be doing this frequently from the sound of it.

You might also want to teach them what to say to prison security staff...

Hey now, my wife works in a jail, dont mess with her job security. Here is a little primer for certain people in this thread will double indentities, please print this post out and put it where your kids can see it.

In most county jails, atleast in California, the staff are Deputy Sheriff's, so you can call them Deputy or sir/mam. A few jails around have correctional officers, so you can just call them officer.

At the prison level, their full title is Correctional Peace Officer, so you can just call them officer. Slang such as boss, screw, cop, guard, jailer is acceptable to most staff members, the ones that dont like it will tell you write away.

At the juvenile level, the titles vary greatly, they can be Probation Officers, or just staff members with on duty peace officer powers, so until you get the lay of the land, I would call the staff member sir or mam.

I hope that helps the children of some in this thread.

If you cruise the Med..as we did this year on Princess and as we did in 2008 on Carnival....you will find the majority of the pax that are travelling are with their kids...1..2..3..4...kids...very very common on Med cruises....

what is uncommon on Med cruises...be it CCL or PCL....is rudeness...chair hogging...drunks...excessive smokers...and a wild scene....

because the Med is all about history...culture and education....not discos...drinks of the day and alnight parties....

different crowd on the Med versus the carib...plain and simple....and a surefire way to avoid the problems of a carib cruise.

sadly though...even though we love the carib cruises.....sometimes they are too rowdy....

welcome back! since you've been gone, you will see i lost ten years off my age, about a foot oFf my height, and have changed nationalities.

By the looks of his picture, he also look nowhere near the age of having little kids; being born in 1965, I would put his kids in their 20's. That sums it up... He's bored with little to do.

Not everyone has their children in their 20s. I was born in 1975 (10 years later) and my kid is 18 months old. So in 10 years, she will be 10 and 1/2.

I'm not supposed to tell anyone for another 4 weeks...so I'm not sayin'

BIGgrin.gif

:D:D:D

So I am not saying congrats then either!!!!

Congrats (4 weeks early - I'll be cruising in Alaska with no internet access!) on your secret upcoming event!

If you cruise the Med..as we did this year on Princess and as we did in 2008 on Carnival....you will find the majority of the pax that are travelling are with their kids...1..2..3..4...kids...very very common on Med cruises....

what is uncommon on Med cruises...be it CCL or PCL....is rudeness...chair hogging...drunks...excessive smokers...and a wild scene....

because the Med is all about history...culture and education....not discos...drinks of the day and alnight parties....

different crowd on the Med versus the carib...plain and simple....and a surefire way to avoid the problems of a carib cruise.

sadly though...even though we love the carib cruises.....sometimes they are too rowdy....

I agree that caribbean cruises are the most 'wild' and I only use that word because cruises to any other destinations are far more 'tame'

Bermuda

Alaska

Canada/New England

All of these draw a slightly older crowd and definitely a less 'party' crowd.

I feel exactly the same.

So I am not saying congrats then either!!!!

WOOT:D

in case i forget, congrats in 4 weeks!

Congrats (4 weeks early - I'll be cruising in Alaska with no internet access!) on your secret upcoming event!

Thank you :D

welcome back! since you've been gone, you will see i lost ten years off my age, about a foot oFf my height, and have changed nationalities.

How did you manage???

I'd like to lose 10 years off my age, add 3 inches to my height (which would make my weight perfect ;) ) and change nationalities as well...where do I sign up???

First time cruiser and first time post. It took me two hours to read this thread and for the most part it was very entertaining. I believe that the majority of people in the world are, for the most part, good people. The very small percentage of fools posting here is the same as anywhere else in the world.

Our first cruise is on the Dream August 11th. We have two teenage boys who are well behaved, social mistakes are part of life and if they happen to bump into someone or god forbid cut in line, I would hope that a responsible adult would correct their behavior in an appropriate manner.

As for me...I am on vacation. If a child(or adult)impedes on my "quality of fun" then I will politely but firmly let them know.

To the OP, my most sincere condolences on your loss.

wineguy(no I'm not a drunk, I just like it)

Sent from my iPhone

First time cruiser and first time post. It took me two hours to read this thread and for the most part it was very entertaining. I believe that the majority of people in the world are, for the most part, good people. The very small percentage of fools posting here is the same as anywhere else in the world.

Our first cruise is on the Dream August 11th. We have two teenage boys who are well behaved, social mistakes are part of life and if they happen to bump into someone or god forbid cut in line, I would hope that a responsible adult would correct their behavior in an appropriate manner.

As for me...I am on vacation. If a child(or adult)impedes on my "quality of fun" then I will politely but firmly let them know.

To the OP, my most sincere condolences on your loss.

wineguy(no I'm not a drunk, I just like it)

are you saying if either of your kids bump into anyone, and say excuse me, that further corrective action is needed?

They know to say excuse me, and I am sure(hope)they would. It was just an example.

No, no further action would be required.

Wineguy - I think most of us have put h8t on ignore. It is his mission in life to try to bait people and then pounce when they don't reply the way he thinks is appropriate. Some of us think he is simply attempting to up his post count. LOL.

The rest of us understood your post perfectly and feel the same way. Thank you for posting!

Wineguy - I think most of us have put h8t on ignore. It is his mission in life to try to bait people and then pounce when they don't reply the way he thinks is appropriate. Some of us think he is simply attempting to up his post count. LOL.

The rest of us understood your post perfectly and feel the same way. Thank you for posting!

the old bait and switch huh big guy

Most adults don't say excuse me anymore. I love NYC and use to go 1/2 times a year. One year in college a large group went. My poor friend was not meant for NYC. Time square was his nightmare. I had to eventually push him to walk or who knows where he would be today haha.

But that is an extreme example.

On a ship it seems some shove on purpose or line jump....one has to wonder how they were raised. I also wonder if they are the ones who leave items in Susie while shopping, like meat in the DVD section :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I have just got off the Breeze yesterday, and there were loads of kids on board. As far as I am aware, none caused any problems, I did not see any running around or pushing lift buttons, but I do agree that Carnival don't help with having rules to assist parents in controlling their kids. My 14 year old, despite having a 'contract' stayed out until 2am or later. She made lots of new friends, and would go to Circle c in the evening, which didn't end until 12.30 or 1.00am. They would then go for ice cream or pizza, and on several ocassions I was searching the ship in the early hours looking for her to make her go to bed. Why isn't there a curfew for teens? and who needs to eat pizza and ice cream in the night? If there was nothing for them to do after Circle C ends, they would go to bed! Anyone with the munchies in the middle of the night can call room service surely? I take my parenting responsibilities very seriously, but felt challenged as I wanted my DD to have some freedom, but she is willfull and tested the limitations I placed on her. I did not really want to walk the decks at 2.00am looking for her, or have to impose and enforce punishment whilst we are on holiday, then have to deal with her sulking and attitude, and just felt that it would have helped if the ship 'went to sleep' at maybe 1.00am, or only had 'adult only' bars after this time, the kids would be more co-operative about going to bed if gthere is nothing for them to do? Just a thought.

I have just got off the Breeze yesterday, and there were loads of kids on board. As far as I am aware, none caused any problems, I did not see any running around or pushing lift buttons, but I do agree that Carnival don't help with having rules to assist parents in controlling their kids. My 14 year old, despite having a 'contract' stayed out until 2am or later. She made lots of new friends, and would go to Circle c in the evening, which didn't end until 12.30 or 1.00am. They would then go for ice cream or pizza, and on several ocassions I was searching the ship in the early hours looking for her to make her go to bed. Why isn't there a curfew for teens? and who needs to eat pizza and ice cream in the night? If there was nothing for them to do after Circle C ends, they would go to bed! Anyone with the munchies in the middle of the night can call room service surely? I take my parenting responsibilities very seriously, but felt challenged as I wanted my DD to have some freedom, but she is willfull and tested the limitations I placed on her. I did not really want to walk the decks at 2.00am looking for her, or have to impose and enforce punishment whilst we are on holiday, then have to deal with her sulking and attitude, and just felt that it would have helped if the ship 'went to sleep' at maybe 1.00am, or only had 'adult only' bars after this time, the kids would be more co-operative about going to bed if gthere is nothing for them to do? Just a thought.

:eek:

:eek:

I just have no kind response to this.....

I agree! There is absolutely no reason children should be up running around the ship at that hour of the night. Do any of you really allow your children to run unsupervised around your town or city until 2 or 3 in the morning??

Ships are nothing more than small towns. And as a resident of a small town, I can tell you there is nothing for children to do that late except get in trouble. Worse, at least in a small town, others know you and know your children. You don't have that on a cruise ship. Scary!!!!

It would definitely be helpful to parents on vacation if they didn't have to be the parent "who won't allow their kids to roam all night." But usually, those kids who are out, have "parents" who are out drinking and partying all night. :eek:

Wait till she is 16! It just gets better and better :).

I would have no problem imposing and enforcing consequences on a vacation, and my kids know it. Because of this, I've never been faced with that situation on a cruise. My kids know that if they weren't where they were supposed to be at the appointed time, all bets would be off and they would have no freedom for the rest of the cruise. They also realize how lucky our family is that we can take a cruise every couple of years and wouldn't want to risk that by pushing curfew issues. I can't rely on the cruise line to impose/enforce a curfew. That's my job as a parent.

While I certainly understand what you're saying, I don't know if Carnival will ever place a curfew on the kids, nor is it necessarily their place to do so. And they are not notorious for enforcing rules anyway. In my opinion, it's up to the parents to make the rules and enforce them, even if it makes us the "bad guys". If I told my kids to be back when Circle C was over, and then had to roam the ship at 2 a.m. looking for them, I can guarantee you they would have something to sulk about when I found them:eek:

By the way, there were issues with kids on your sailing...one of them being kids who filled the ice cream machines with ketchup and mustard at 2 a.m.:eek: Took the staff HOURS to clean them out and get them running again:mad: Hopefully your daughter wasn't involved in that when she was going for her late night snacks with the crowd....

What is the point of a contract with your kid if there are no clearly laid-out consequences for disobeying? Kids aren't stupid. Your daughter clearly was aware that you did not wish to "deal with her sulking and attitude", so she knew she wouldn't be punished. I can say with good certainty that my parents didn't consider whether or not we were on vacation when it came to punishments. And, if we pouted.....well, they were not swayed by tears or a dropped lip either. Additionally, if your daughter wouldn't/didn't obey the terms of the 'contract' she had with you, what makes you think that she would obey a curfew imposed by Carnival? It is not the cruise lines job to assist parents with parenting.

Archived