Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

Wound a little tight there aren't you?. It's a public pool full of children. You're not in your backyard pool.

I have never been in a ships pool and I do not plan on it because I do not want to be bumped or splashed or jumped on. So, I will just stick with my backyard pool where it will not happen.

Many people assume that they are powerless to handle situations themselves for fear of a lawsuit. If a child runs into you, than it is an assault. Once you are assaulted, you can detain the child, and hand them over to security. No time in history was it ever permissable for a child to knock into another person and inflict injury. Even in our schools, a child can not touch another child in a way that inflicts injury. Such as plowing into them and knocking them down. If a child is that unrulely, than they need to be detained and handed over.

Carnival needs to take care of this. Because we know parents will not. Simple is that the child, and a parent goes under house arrest for a day. Do this and get enough publicity about it, and the situration will correct itself.

I had a parent tell me once I had no business telling them what to do. I looked straight at them, told them their kid was within 5 feet of dying. Not only that, they would have damaged my car in the process. Why, because the kid was during something illegal (driving an ATV on a road). They were also informed that if I saw the kid on the ATV, on the road, in the yard or anyplace without seeing an adult within 100 feet of where he was, they would be reported to child welfare. Never did see the ATV again.

Point is, until adults stand up, and stop being afraid, the situation will always continue.

a child bumping you while having fun is assault and you have the right to detain them.... really???

good luck with that one.

Condolences on your loss. Cruising in summer means more kids and we wish everyone would parent their kids but many folks ignore bad behavior instead.It is a fact of life on a ship or at a mall or a park. Folks let their kids run wild. It is life in 2012. I just don't cruise in the summer and I don't let my kids run wild. They go to private christian school and if they act unruly or swear they'd be kicked out of the school. So in public or at home we expect and recieve polite behavior. We cruise over our spring and winter breaks. Camp Carnival lets 9 year olds plus check themselves out of camp. I don't want my kids roaming the ship on a camp scavenger hunt without adult supervision. I wouldn't let my kids roam around Watertower place in downtown Chicago either alone. Yet every parent has a right to raise his/her kids as they wish. Choose to cruise while school is in session. By the way if a child accidently runs into you it is not an assault.

Sorry to hear of your family's loss....

as for the kids, this is why we do not cruise when school is out.

I have raised my 2 boys (now 24 and 21) and I am not about to spend my vacation babysitting someone else's.

Perhaps some of the ship photographers who are not busy at the time could snap some photos of the misbehaving kids and have a wall of shame at the photo gallery!

That's a great idea, have the photographers take pictures of the unruly kids and then they could do a slide show of the pictures on the seaside theater and on the in room tvs.

I am sure that although there are some parents who wouldn't care if their kids were shown on there, there are some parents who upon seeing their kids on the unruly kids show would make sure they didn't show up on it again :)

First sorry for your lose...

Could you tell me how you went about setting up the release of the ashes, as i would like to do the same with my fathers.

Thank you. I am sorry about your loss as well. It seems more and more people are wanting to do this. I contacted John Heald on his fb page and asked him to set it up. He very graciously did so. Once we were on the ship, we contacted guest services as instructed and then the environmental officer contacted us. You have to be sure to have a biodegradable urn (and the plastic bag has to be biodegradeable as well.)

Ruxie, you're a gem & I'd cruise with you and your kids anytime. This is actually one pot stirring troll who my Ukranian grandfather would have called Nyet Kolturny, or as Simon & Garfunkel said, "The man ain't got no culture. He brought his petty feud with JH to a thread where the OP lost his 17 year old son 2 weeks before their scheduled cruise and came here looking for help. Kudos for Michelle from CCL, who offered to help.

No wonder John uses him in his blog. He provides an endless supply of idiocy that John can use.

Amen and amen!! ;)

My sympathy on your loss. I too did not know carnival did this. Is this something your mom wanted?

Thank you. Yes - it was her specific request. She actually threatened to come back and haunt my father if her ashes were left sitting on a fireplace like a friend of theirs did. :)

My mother had a neuroblastoma multiforme. It is an extremely aggressive form of brain cancer. She knew she was dying and asked us to take her ashes on a cruise as a family and scatter them.

Thank you. I am sorry about your loss as well. It seems more and more people are wanting to do this. I contacted John Heald on his fb page and asked him to set it up. He very graciously did so. Once we were on the ship, we contacted guest services as instructed and then the environmental officer contacted us. You have to be sure to have a biodegradable urn (and the plastic bag has to be biodegradeable as well.)

Thank you for the information... take care

personal responsibility.

i define the acceptable behavior for my kids, and discipline toward it. no stranger would even know what i define as acceptable, or what i even consider unruley behaviour, but my rung is definitely higher than those around me. i would have to expect others think the same.

and i surely can't expect those around me to work to that bar. and one must realize everyones bar is different. i don't define what unruly behavior is on board. nor will the stranger.

I have news for you. Society defines acceptable behavior not you. If what you say is acceptable and society doesn't then your kids are in for a difficult row to hoe.

I have news for you. Society defines acceptable behavior not you. If what you say is acceptable and society doesn't then your kids are in for a difficult row to hoe.

and i have news for you. society's bar is way below my circle of family and friends.

There is a time and place for everything - running included. However, running up and down the promenade of a crowded cruise ship, running up and down the stairs of the lounges or dining rooms of a crowded cruise ship, or running around the decks of a crowded cruise ship is simply not appropriate. If your kids do that, shame on you!!

Sorry for your loss! I just hope your Mom didn't suffer.

I am glad you told us about this option. After I read it I told my wife that is what I would like to happen with my ashes. Not sure if she will do it. Guess I'll never know.

On a cruise we mistakenly took during Spring Break this year, we had older teenagers standing in the hall at 2:00 AM talking and joking like they were at a football game. I put on my pants and opened the door only to have them scatter. They did the same thing the next night. I was finally able to tell them that people were trying to sleep and to please keep it down. One made a smart remark, but they did quieten down. We bring ear plugs with us for issues like this, but they don't get rid of all sounds.

It saddens me that there is another child bashing thread to take the place of the other thread. My attention is usually on the well behaved children and there are many.

I have a different take on this -- I don't think anybody is "bashing" a child here; children are products of their environments, and only know what they have been exposed to/or witnessed at home. If they are not expected to behave in a socially-acceptable manner at home, why would they out in public?

All kids have acted atrociously at one time or another. Sometimes misbehavers are good kids who are pushing the envelope, seeing what they can get away with -- with correction they mend their ways. (And THANK YOU to the responsible adults who have taken the time to correct my erring kids when I wasn't there!! It does take a village to raise a child!!:) )

This thread is directed at BEHAVIOR that is unsafe and unwelcome except on a playground. If there is any "bashing" to be had, it is reserved for parents who do not monitor or police their own children, then get their panties in a wad when someone else does their job for them!:cool:

My son...age 11 does get to sign himself in and out of the camp carnival activities and we meet up at set times. If he were to act I appropriately out of my sight I hope a responsible adult would suggest to him that he stop such behavior.

He is a great kid...and hope he remains this way...he loves to cruise maybe more than me and he knows he would never cruise again if he is unruly!

But I too have seen I'll behaved kiddos....I'd say they act that way at home too!

Our last cruise was over Halloween so school was in session and there were few kids. We are cruising September 2nd out of San Jaun on the Victory. My hopes are that the more expensive airline tickets, plus being right after the start of school, there will be few kids. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Archived